Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

chaosapiant posted:

What do you mean by what's "surrounding it?" I have it in my Steam library but haven't played it yet.

matchmaking mostly.

last time i played, it took anywhere from one minute to five minutes to find a match. you can't just park on a server for a few map changes--you're kicked out to a lobby after every game and have to go through the matchmaking sequence every time, which was very aggravating. and the game mode is left up to a vote every time. so if you want to do FFA dm, and the other players vote for TDM or CTF, you can either play the mode you didn't want to play or you can hop back into the queue and wait again.

also lootboxes are annoying. tbh i don't remember exactly how lootboxes worked in QC, but i remember them being largely ignorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its purely goons being insane, there really isn't any of that in the trailer. This needs to stop now.

Super Doomio Brothers starts at 3:36. You know, the part where the Doomslayer does timed jumps over twirling fire sticks and collects spinning powerups that literally display written text like "1 Up", "Boost Refill", and "?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK73XMgkpc8&t=216s

Not saying it's an overwhelming amount of platforming, but nobody here is "insane" for noticing that it's undeniably present and significant enough to show multiple instances of in a single trailer.

Doom 2016 is one of the best shooters of all time and I want Doom Eternal to be right in line or better, but it doesn't do any good to put your fingers in your ears and say lalala every time somebody shows a legitimate concern or criticism.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 10, 2019

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I for one am very impressed with what the iD team has done with Gamebryo

I know it's a joke but considering the last shitshow with Fallout 76 I don't want Retar5 to be anywhere close to Bethesda studio :catstare:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Zaphod42 posted:

Its purely goons being insane, there really isn't any of that in the trailer. This needs to stop now.

Hey I don't want to interrupt your triple post about people sayin' "I don't like thing" but here's a video from 3 months ago where they have literal celeste orbs and bottomless pit midair platforming right in the middle of the level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRJMYZUzjA

The UI was also way less obnoxious back then.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Doom 4 had timed jumping puzzles for runes. It was optional.

Real weird to assume that'll be different from 3 seconds of fire bar jumping...

it's not weird at all, that super mario poo poo was a big point of focus of the gameplay reveal

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

matchmaking mostly.

last time i played, it took anywhere from one minute to five minutes to find a match. you can't just park on a server for a few map changes--you're kicked out to a lobby after every game and have to go through the matchmaking sequence every time, which was very aggravating. and the game mode is left up to a vote every time. so if you want to do FFA dm, and the other players vote for TDM or CTF, you can either play the mode you didn't want to play or you can hop back into the queue and wait again.

also lootboxes are annoying. tbh i don't remember exactly how lootboxes worked in QC, but i remember them being largely ignorable.

Ah ok. So the game is either void of players or the infrastructure is poo poo. I'll just ignore it for now then. Can the game be played with private servers/bots at least? I have fun with bot games.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

settle down beavis

Instead let's focus on the awesome Doom Royale mode they revealed. 99v99 doomslayers with base-building and QTEs? Hell yeah let's do this

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

GreatGreen posted:

Super Doomio Brothers starts at 3:36. You know, the part where the Doomslayer does timed jumps over twirling fire sticks and collects spinning powerups that literally display written text like "1 Up", "Boost Refill", and "?"

Not saying it's an overwhelming amount of platforming, but nobody here is "insane" for noticing that it's undeniably present and significant enough to show multiple instances of in a single trailer.

This looks more like a custom challenge mode kind of thing. like special levels rather than main campaign.

Mirror's doom

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ilmucche posted:

This looks more like a custom challenge mode kind of thing. like special levels rather than main campaign.

Mirror's doom

I'd be extremely down for that if that was the case. On a different note: I love how much this game resembles the original Doom/Doom2 aesthetics in regards to the monsters, guns, and pickups. Makes me tingly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
As a DMC vet I can tell you that airdashes do a lot for making platforming feel better

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GreatGreen posted:

Wall climbing isn't a jumping puzzle though. There's really only half a second of jumping puzzles, and with the giant floating ? I'm willing to bet that's some kind of side-challenge just like the rune challenges in Doom 4. Right?

You're insane because Doom 4 had double-jumping and was a great game. Assuming that because we saw a couple seconds of jumping that means Doom Eternal has a greater focus on platforming than Doom 4 is a weird case of jumping to conclusions.

I could make a trailer purely from someone's run through Doom 4 and it would have way way way more platforming than we just saw there. Comeon guys, you gotta keep these things in mind. Just because we saw jumping doesn't mean the whole game is jumping, plus just because there's jumping doesn't mean that jumping is required for a puzzle, maybe the doomguy just felt like jumping at that moment. We only see about one second of what is definitely a jumping puzzle and the environment sure makes it seem like its a side-activity like a rune challenge.

ilmucche posted:

Like rune challenges!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zaphod42 posted:

I could make a trailer purely from someone's run through Doom 4 and it would have way way way more platforming than we just saw there.

That's because, as it turns out, Doom 2016 has more playable game than the revealed footage of the game that isn't out yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dieting Hippo posted:

Hey I don't want to interrupt your triple post about people sayin' "I don't like thing" but here's a video from 3 months ago where they have literal celeste orbs and bottomless pit midair platforming right in the middle of the level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRJMYZUzjA

The UI was also way less obnoxious back then.

There's no jumping puzzles in that video. There's a small bit of platforming which is just jumping? Doom 4 had lots of jumping.

I honestly feel like you guys must not have played doom 4. I don't understand this reaction at all if you have played doom 4.

chaosapiant posted:

That's because, as it turns out, Doom 2016 has more playable game than the revealed footage of the game that isn't out yet.

No poo poo. :rolleyes: but the point is you can't look at a couple seconds of trailer and jump to conclusions about how much of the game that bit of trailer represents!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 10, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Mirror's doom

I hope so!

I mean don't get me wrong, I love that all these additional mobility options are in the game, and it's going to be fun as hell to dash around in the air and pull yourself even higher and farther with the shotgun grappling hook, but jumping puzzles specifically crafted with those abilities in mind, at first glance, seem offputting.

Maybe it will be fine and feel seamless and natural in the game though. I mean, remember when Deus Ex Human Revolution showed itself to the public and people went apeshit over the orange outlines over everything, but it turned out than when you actually played the game it was fine? Maybe Doom's jumping stuff will be like that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I could make a trailer purely from someone's run through Doom 4 and it would have way way way more platforming than we just saw there. Comeon guys, you gotta keep these things in mind. Just because we saw jumping doesn't mean the whole game is jumping, plus just because there's jumping doesn't mean that jumping is required for a puzzle, maybe the doomguy just felt like jumping at that moment. We only see about one second of what is definitely a jumping puzzle and the environment sure makes it seem like its a side-activity like a rune challenge.

Like rune challenges!

I hope so!

I mean don't get me wrong, I love that all these additional mobility options are in the game, and it's going to be great to dash around in the air and pull yourself even higher and farther with the shotgun grappling hook, but jumping puzzles specifically crafted with those abilities in mind, at first glance, seem offputting.

Maybe it will be fine and feel seamless and natural in the game though. Remember when Deus Ex Human Revolution showed itself to the public and people went apeshit over the orange outlines over everything, but it turned out than when you actually played the game it was fine? Maybe Doom's jumping stuff will be like that.

Or maybe it will be Super Doomio Brothers and we'll all hate it.

Looking forward to finding out.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 10, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

I hope so!

I mean don't get me wrong, I love that all these additional mobility options are in the game, and it's going to be fun as hell to dash around in the air and pull yourself even higher and farther with the shotgun grappling hook, but jumping puzzles specifically crafted with those abilities in mind, at first glance, seem offputting.

Maybe it will be fine and feel seamless and natural in the game though. I mean, remember when Deus Ex Human Revolution showed itself to the public and people went apeshit over the orange outlines over everything, but it turned out than when you actually played the game it was fine? Maybe Doom's jumping stuff will be like that.

:yeah:

I mean, again, have you played Doom 4? It had lots of jumping. I got a little sick of the jumping in the Tower, but otherwise it was totally fine and not at all a big deal, and double-jumping just helped you kill demons.

The rune challenges were a fun diversion; they were usually pretty gimmicky but you knew they were going to be gimmicky so that's fine for a change of pace. They were also optional, although the rewards were pretty great.

Now we can use our shotgun to fly across the map at 100mph, so its only going to be easier than Doom 4.

GreatGreen posted:

Or maybe it will be Super Doomio Brothers and we'll all hate it.

Worst case scenario, Golden Skulls is actually good times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFiuRKPftoA

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

:yeah:

I mean, again, have you played Doom 4? It had lots of jumping. I got a little sick of the jumping in the Tower, but otherwise it was totally fine and not at all a big deal, and double-jumping just helped you kill demons.

The rune challenges were a fun diversion; they were usually pretty gimmicky but you knew they were going to be gimmicky so that's fine for a change of pace. They were also optional, although the rewards were pretty great.

Now we can use our shotgun to fly across the map at 100mph, so its only going to be easier than Doom 4.

I have the 3rd highest post count in this thread. Yes I've played Doom 2016. :buddy: But yeah I definitely hope Doom Eternal is great though and that I'm overreacting. And in open combat, the new abilities look fuckawesome and I'm kinda psyched to blaze around big open arenas like Drunk Peter Pan.

If anybody needs me, I'll be in my shed handcrafting my finest "Retard 5" photoshops, just in case.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 10, 2019

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

There's no jumping puzzles in that video. There's a small bit of platforming which is just jumping? Doom 4 had lots of jumping.

I honestly feel like you guys must not have played doom 4. I don't understand this reaction at all if you have played doom 4.

No poo poo. :rolleyes: but the point is you can't look at a couple seconds of trailer and jump to conclusions about how much of the game that bit of trailer represents!

:allears:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the showcase went out of its way to show a lot of platforming sections in sequence. this isn't like, a few scattered shots of the player jumping that has people concerned, it's multiple sequences in a row of platforming sections where the player is dodging mid-air fire beams and getting to air dash refills to traverse gaps. these are mechanics clearly intended for platforming specific challenges, and they are shown in the context of being platform challenges rather than, like, arena elements. like, clearly whoever put the trailer together really wanted to emphasize the platforming for a bit, it's not at all unfair for a viewer to say "hey, i don't like this thing they're going out of their way to show is included in the game."

which like, i dunno, i'm not crazy up in arms about it but it doesn't exactly have me excited. dodging fire hazards and strategic air dash refills being part of a combat arena sounds fun, but as the focus of gameplay for several different areas it just makes me think they're making the argent tower section of doom2016 into a larger chunk of the new game. which i can't say i'm excited about, that was my least favorite part of the previous game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've been calling it Zap5od.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the walls you can cling to in particular look kinda janky, and also i don't know why that mechanic would exist at all outside of platforming challenges. everything else could be over-represented or something, but i just don't see what they would've coded that into the game for besides "make the player parkour over bottomless pits"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ninjewtsu posted:

the walls you can cling to in particular look kinda janky, and also i don't know why that mechanic would exist at all outside of platforming challenges. everything else could be over-represented or something, but i just don't see what they would've coded that into the game for besides "make the player parkour over bottomless pits"

"Our player data metrics indicate that an insufficient number of players got to experience the T2 thumbs up in the Foundry level of Doom 2016 firsthand so......"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I've been calling it Zap5od.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Did you hate the rune challenges in Doom 4? They included parkouring over bottomless pits. But it wasn't a big deal.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you hate the rune challenges in Doom 4? They included parkouring over bottomless pits. But it wasn't a big deal.

Yes I remember the wall climbing bits in the rune challenges in Doom 4, the game with the rune challenges and the wall climbing mentioned.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Doom 4 ruled in every regard except for the platforming sections, which were not great, so it's reasonable to feel some trepidation when they devote a slice of their big gameplay trailer to showing off expanded "extremely awkward fps platforming" mechanics.

It almost assuredly won't ruin the game or anything but it's okay for people to not like them putting more of the bad part they didn't like in the previous game in the new one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

chaosapiant posted:

Are you the flight attendant that's always "sir, please stop shouting!" to the non-shouting quiet passengers? Point to where I "freaked out."

Edit: Actually don't worry about it, I'm moving on.

There's a weird subset of goons who can't tell the difference between mentioning a thing and OH MY GOD I'M OUT OF MY MIND!!! presumably because they are projecting how they behave.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dieting Hippo posted:

Yes I remember the wall climbing bits in the rune challenges in Doom 4, the game with the rune challenges and the wall climbing mentioned.

Dieting Hippo I'm not sure what your problem is but you need to move the gently caress on with your life.

Kanos posted:

It almost assuredly won't ruin the game or anything but it's okay for people to not like them putting more of the bad part they didn't like in the previous game in the new one.

We don't know its more though. It could be the exact same amount. Maybe you're hoping they'd remove it all by the sequel though I guess :shrug:

Remember, Doom 4 trailers focused heavily on multiplayer. Showing a few seconds of platforming doesn't mean the game suddenly has a platforming focus.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Sylphosaurus posted:

Itīd be pretty cool to see a horror concept based on Heaven.

Liberty University

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I don't like the grunts

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm gonna have to rewatch the whole thing because I literally didn't notice any grunts. Maybe it's because I've been playing D1/2/Sigil and wallhumping like a madman

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zaphod42 posted:

Dieting Hippo I'm not sure what your problem is but you need to move the gently caress on with your life.

We don't know its more though. It could be the exact same amount. Maybe you're hoping they'd remove it all by the sequel though I guess :shrug:

Remember, Doom 4 trailers focused heavily on multiplayer. Showing a few seconds of platforming doesn't mean the game suddenly has a platforming focus.

The amount of platforming that most people would have preferred Doom 2016 to have is "literally none and just let me use the double jump in fights".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I thought platforming in DOOM was fun enough and Eternal adds double air dashing so that's all good.
As long as they don't make the platforming air hazards knock you back (which would be insanely dumb) it's all good cause then you can just dash through all the fire and punch the next imp you see in the face.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

What rune challenges included parkour mechanics that existed exclusively within rune challenges

If the trailer took a minute to show a bunch of rune challenge footage not indicative of the actual game, and did not indicate that this was rune challenge footage and not indicative of the actual game, in the middle of a bunch of otherwise main game footage, that's loving stupid and no viewer is at fault for assuming it's representative of the actual game. You might as well be saying that all the cool shooting we're seeing is probably just sectioned off challenge footage and an over represented sample of the actual game, which will exist purely of platforming and ominous voices talking to you as the game expands its deep lore and story.

You can't just assume that anything that people aren't excited about, like, doesn't count and isn't actually part of the game or whatever. This is what their marketing has shown us, this is what we have to talk about, fabricating possible explanations about how we should disregard the things they wanted us to see comes off as a weird reaction to people not displaying the proper amount of hype for a game you are hyped for.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude, you asked him a question, he answered, and this is your response? His answer wasn't lovely or filled with hyperbole and it didn't even have an exclamation point. At this point you've got to be both self-aware and intentional in how ridiculous your posts are coming off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

What rune challenges included parkour mechanics that existed exclusively within rune challenges

Like, the one where you have to jump back and forth across narrow platforms left and right while running an obstacle course as fast as possible?

No, jump mechanics aren't unique to the rune challenges, but they do have you do things you don't really ever have to do in the main game. I don't think its worth getting so concerned or upset about this early.

chaosapiant posted:

Dude, you asked him a question, he answered, and this is your response? His answer wasn't lovely or filled with hyperbole and it didn't even have an exclamation point. At this point you've got to be both self-aware and intentional in how ridiculous your posts are coming off.

I didn't ask Dieting Hippo poo poo. I asked another goon something because we were having a conversation and that other goon responded in earnest. Dieting Hippo gave a sarcastic mocking response. How are you this bad at following context and conversations?

What on earth are you talking about? How are you this un-aware of him clearly being disingenuous?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 10, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I think the platforming will be good if its smooth and fairly easy, while downtime is important i would much prefer easy platforming over a lot of walking, and that worked pretty well in doom. The problem that people are reasonably worried about is if they overtune the platforming or have it be janky or slow it will just be a frustrating bump in a good game, especially if its over instant death.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

The amount of platforming that most people would have preferred Doom 2016 to have is "literally none and just let me use the double jump in fights".

:yossame:

Zaphod42 posted:

How are you this bad at following context and conversations?

What on earth are you talking about? How are you this un-aware of him clearly being disingenuous?

:chillpill:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

getting all worked up over nothing again

why are you like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
im calling this thread mor5on