Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

I think that’s my biggest takeaway. When the suspect submits what are you waiting on?

My anecdotal guess with only the very limited information in that video?

Someone with authority, balls, and experience to take over because the little baby cop who was talking didn't know what the gently caress to do. Presumably the person doing the talking was the first on scene. The rest would have been responding, and for most of them they showed up to a man being held at gunpoint by their partner with not much other information. They probably didn't want to make a decision because the only person who really knows what is going on is the "suspect" and the first cop on scene.

Obviously the solution is just to go up and cuff the guy. They were all so hopped up on adrenaline they didn't think it through until the camera woman screamed it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Chichevache posted:

Obviously the solution is just to go up and cuff the guy. They were all so hopped up on adrenaline they didn't think it through until the camera woman screamed it out.

When you are being told, over and over, that your life is more important than your suspects, and your use of force is all about protecting you, rather than a method of responding in kind, its no surprise that most engagements with a suspect with result in death, and the slightest movement by a suspect, a person with little to no training on how to respond to a situation like this, can result in a sudden and lethal escalation resulting in their death.

Its partially a training issue, partially an image issue.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CommieGIR posted:

When you are being told, over and over, that your life is more important than your suspects, and your use of force is all about protecting you, rather than a method of responding in kind, its no surprise that most engagements with a suspect with result in death, and the slightest movement by a suspect, a person with little to no training on how to respond to a situation like this, can result in a sudden and lethal escalation resulting in their death.

Yeah. I know.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

one day people are gonna realize just how amazingly undertrained american cops are

today is not that day

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

also I was gonna watch the video

but then I just went on with my life

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Reminder: to be a cop in Quebec, you have to spend three years doing a specialized course in community college. Here’s the program:

http://www.johnabbott.qc.ca/academics/career-programs/police-technology/

See also nurses, merchant marine officers, daycare teachers, dental hygienists...

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 10, 2019

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Not sure on the comments. A lot are calling out how silly it is, others are going 👏🏽 great job officers keep our streets safe!

If the knife locks out, is more than 3" in length, then it's a pointed and/or bladed article and it's an offence to be carrying it. We have super strict knife laws but it hasn't stopped 40 knife murders in the first 3 months of the year, compared to only 5 firearm murders.

The actual rate of non-fatal stabbings in the big cities is pretty astronomical by Western European standards at the moment.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

If the knife locks out, is more than 3" in length, then it's a pointed and/or bladed article and it's an offence to be carrying it. We have super strict knife laws but it hasn't stopped 40 knife murders in the first 3 months of the year, compared to only 5 firearm murders.

The actual rate of non-fatal stabbings in the big cities is pretty astronomical by Western European standards at the moment.

Bunch of savages killing each other with hand to hand weapons.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Is that a meets all of the requirements or any of the requirements kind of law, cause it's a bit silly. My multi tool meets all of those and it gets used 10 to 20 times a day outside of work.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I don’t think you’re British, but that Facebook page is very much for a UK law enforcement agency for whom a knife like that would be like the equivalent of a ghost gun with an extended magazine and suppressor to an agency in California.

People also like to point to stuff like this when they talk about how overzealous the UK cops get over this:

I wish Hezzy or some of the other Brit cops still posted so they could explain this poo poo without laughing.

So under English/Welsh law (I'm not sure if it's the same in Scotland, they have common sense laws) literally anything can be used as a weapon, they are more or less broken in to three groups, the first are items that are primarily used to harm, so a hunting knife/crossbow etc, then 'modified' weapons, like a sharpened screwdriver and then improvised, and that could be a tennis racket if you hit someone with it or even just threaten them with it.

That picture would be far less ridiculous if they had said that the items were seized during an arrest for 'going equipped to steal', because it looks like a toolkit for a burglary and you can get nicked for walking about with tools like that and showing the slightest intent, like looking through car windows or inspecting a lock on a door. I nicked someone for walking down the street with Rice flails, because they are always 100% illegal in public in the UK. The idiot was going to the park to do practice his Karate Kid moves and instead someone called the Police. It's an 'absolute' offence and even though there are some weird loopholes like 'dressing in historical regalia' which means you could carry a basket hilted sabre in public if you're dressed as a Cavalier, there is no such loophole for rice flails.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Melthir posted:

Is that a meets all of the requirements or any of the requirements kind of law, cause it's a bit silly. My multi tool meets all of those and it gets used 10 to 20 times a day outside of work.

If you need a knife for work, that's okay, but you can't stop for a beer on the way home, that knife has to go straight to work and then straight back home with you. If the knife is under 3" and doesn't lock, like a pen-knife, then you can carry it without getting in the poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was some basewide email a while back that said among other things that knives over "3 aren't allowed on the base. Pretty sure my Gerber has a knife that's technically illegal. I doubt I'd actually get in trouble for it. The main takeaway is that idiots keep getting caught with personal guns in their car.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So under English/Welsh law (I'm not sure if it's the same in Scotland, they have common sense laws) literally anything can be used as a weapon, they are more or less broken in to three groups, the first are items that are primarily used to harm, so a hunting knife/crossbow etc, then 'modified' weapons, like a sharpened screwdriver and then improvised, and that could be a tennis racket if you hit someone with it or even just threaten them with it.

That picture would be far less ridiculous if they had said that the items were seized during an arrest for 'going equipped to steal', because it looks like a toolkit for a burglary and you can get nicked for walking about with tools like that and showing the slightest intent, like looking through car windows or inspecting a lock on a door. I nicked someone for walking down the street with Rice flails, because they are always 100% illegal in public in the UK. The idiot was going to the park to do practice his Karate Kid moves and instead someone called the Police. It's an 'absolute' offence and even though there are some weird loopholes like 'dressing in historical regalia' which means you could carry a basket hilted sabre in public if you're dressed as a Cavalier, there is no such loophole for rice flails.

lol so if he was dressed like an Asian peasant he could have told you to suck it Bobby?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Chichevache posted:

Referring to the amount of cops and the amount of cops only! I'm not defending anything, just addressing why so many would show.

A current belief in policing is that a show of force deescalates situations. As in, someone who may have fought one or two cops wont be willing to fight five or six. The logic is that this prevents the situation from ever becoming one where any force besides presence is necessary.

Anecdotally, I've seen it work.

No, escalation is by definition not de-escalation. For the small subset of seized people who are 1) actually dangerous and 2) Capable of doing a rational cost-benefit analysis at that moment, escalation like this might work. However, the number of times the outcome is going to be worse far outweighs the times it will work.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If you escalate and no one fights back, it worked. If you escalate and win the fight, it worked. If you escalate and lose the fight, you didn't escalate enough.
:eng101:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

FrozenVent posted:

Reminder: to be a cop in Quebec, you have to spend three years doing a specialized course in community college. Here’s the program:

http://www.johnabbott.qc.ca/academics/career-programs/police-technology/

See also nurses, merchant marine officers, daycare teachers, dental hygienists...

This is really not much different than a US police department requiring an applicant to have an associates or bachelors degree in criminal justice, police studies, etc.

Multiple technical colleges, like the one you linked, have programs to satisfy Quebec's police applicant education requirements which include so many credit hours of "policing technology" (re:criminal justice) education and a degree.

Quebec's actual police academy is 15 weeks long.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

one day people are gonna realize just how amazingly undertrained american cops are

today is not that day

Seems like they get plenty of training, just in all the wrong things.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Fallom posted:

no, they don't even get a lot of lovely training

cops, by and large, get almost no actual training past the academy. Most large departments will have some sort of bullshit CBT for liability issues, but that's about it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mlmp08 posted:

If you escalate and no one fights back, it worked. If you escalate and win the fight, it worked. If you escalate and lose the fight, you didn't escalate enough.
:eng101:
Just don't call it de-escalation.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Fallom posted:

Considering the nature of the work it is almost no training at all.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1138146954532118528?s=19

Need more information/video on the chopper hitting whatever it did.

Edit: nooooope not my idea of fun https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1138148945136377857?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 10, 2019

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Smiling Jack posted:

no, they don't even get a lot of lovely training

cops, by and large, get almost no actual training past the academy. Most large departments will have some sort of bullshit CBT for liability issues, but that's about it.

Cock and Ball Torture? Everything makes sense now.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://mobile.twitter.com/seanspicer/status/1138128231289249792?s=19

Holy poo poo. 😂

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Here’s something that’ll ruin your day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.6dbd6814f7cd

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Narrator: They linked it to them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hunters do it because they like killing and watching things die and if that part wasn’t important they would hunt and then not take the shot. Their behavior isn’t really atypical even if the target was protected.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Three months and community service. Awesome.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fallom posted:

Hunters do it because they like killing and watching things die and if that part wasn’t important they would hunt and then not take the shot. Their behavior isn’t really atypical even if the target was protected.

No you see I really prefer to supplement my diet with the animals I hunt which is why I needed to poach a bear and her little cubs.

Christ Almighty even genocidal Roosevelt wouldn't shoot a cub.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Crakkerjakk posted:

Justice!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fallom posted:

I hunted growing up because I was poor white trash and I could fill my freezer full of venison for the cost of a 20 dollar deer tag and a hand me down 12 gauge shotgun. We'd butcher deer in my grandpa's barn by making proper cuts of meat for one and turning everything in deer burger.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

No you see I really prefer to supplement my diet with the animals I hunt which is why I needed to poach a bear and her little cubs.

Christ Almighty even genocidal Roosevelt wouldn't shoot a cub.

Well duh he found cubs cuter that Cubans.

He did need glasses after all.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Crakkerjakk posted:

The state also took all of their guns, skis, and truck plus a $9k fine. Should they have both gone to jail for a while? In my opinion, yes, however they are definitely feeling it in their pockets.

Not that it is matters, now they'll just look for a camera the next time they do it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/marcklock/status/1137569516718821376?s=19

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My hate is reaching its purest state yet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I hunted growing up because I was poor white trash and I could fill my freezer full of venison for the cost of a 20 dollar deer tag and a hand me down 12 gauge shotgun. We'd butcher deer in my grandpa's barn by making proper cuts of meat for one and turning everything in deer burger.

I absolutely respect that, just not the suburban warrior who goes out to kill because looking at the packages in the grocery store doesn’t get him hard enough.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fallom posted:

This is utter bullshit for the vast majority of hunters.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

A Bad Poster posted:

The state also took all of their guns, skis, and truck plus a $9k fine. Should they have both gone to jail for a while? In my opinion, yes, however they are definitely feeling it in their pockets.

Not that it is matters, now they'll just look for a camera the next time they do it.

did they take away their gun and hunting licenses for life?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cop chat: apparently the academy education is very comprehensive, researched, and progressive. Problem comes when a rookie cop shows up to the force and all the the training instructors tell him to dump all that is instruction out and have final say over how "Real Policing" is supposed to be.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

KirbyKhan posted:

Cop chat: apparently the academy education is very comprehensive, researched, and progressive. Problem comes when a rookie cop shows up to the force and all the the training instructors tell him to dump all that is instruction out and have final say over how "Real Policing" is supposed to be.

TrainingDay.mov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The NRA sent me a card asking me to become a member so I guess they must really be hurting for money. Normally I only get mail from the ACLU and George Soros.