Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

InsertPotPun posted:

What's a good "Zelda-like" for PS4? I just want a simple adventure collecting tools and killing fools.

Also the best Dynasty Warriors type game? "Variety" being the watchword.

To quote a really useful post by Det_no over in the steam thread -

Det_no posted:

That's the complete version of Dynasty Warriors 7 with all DLC. Incidentally, it's also probably the best game to start with because the story mode is arguably the best in the Dynasty series and the extra modes are really good.

Other notable games in the genre (that you can get on PC):

DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition: A lot of people's favorite because it's the only game in the series that doesn't have "clone" characters aka everyone has a unique moveset. The story is a step down from 7 but the "what-if" scenarios and castle building extra mode are pretty cool. The problem is that the Steam version doesn't actually come with everything out of the box and the DLC is expensive. The Microsoft store version though DOES have all the DLC.

SAMURAI WARRIORS 4-II: Like Dynasty Warriors but with heroes from Japan instead of China. Focuses more on having an ally fight with you, which you can command or take control of at any point. It's a fun game but the extra mode is not great and worst of all, it's kind of an alternate story to a game that you currently cannot get on PC so it's like tuning in to a soap opera without watching the first half. The original Samurai Warriors 4 just got an HD re-release on Switch so with any luck we might get it at some point too.

Dynasty Warriors 9: It's Dynasty Warriors but open world. People HATE IT but I think the combat is the most fun out of all the Dynasty Warrior games. BIG problems with performance and has DLC out of the rear end so unfortunately, it's not really a good buy unless you can get it super cheap. You can, however, try it for free, unlock up to 3 characters with a free voucher and play through part of their stories.

Samurai of Sanada: I haven't played it but I heard it's good :shobon: Storyline follows only a handful of characters but does so very well. You can unlock a lot more characters from the Samurai series but they are only extra, playable cameos.

Warriors Orochi 4: Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors combined into a fanservice game. Has a billion playable characters but, again, there are no real extra modes so playing through the story is pretty much most of the game. The gameplay is good but thanks to that lack of replayability, people are not huge on it. It also suffers from gameplay related stuff being locked behind DLC.

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3: People swear by this game and claim it's one of the best ever but since it's based on an anime, mileage might vary. Gameplay-wise every character has different movesets and there ARE a lot of playable guys but the campaign is kind of short and map objectives are pretty simplistic so you are often running around back and forth doing the same thing. Problem is you don't even have something like a horse, like you do in Dynasty Warriors, so it feels more plodding. Extra modes are nice though and quite hefty so if you like the gameplay or One Piece you'll probably enjoy this one a lot.

Attack on Titan Wings of Freedom and the sequel: are KIND of a musou but except of killing a million normal dudes, you kill a thousand giant dudes. I haven't played the second one (supposed to be better than the first) but they have REALLY fun movement and combat is insanely fast once you get good. The first game at the very least deals with the first fourth of the story or so, pretty much a 1:1 recreation, and has a lot of extra missions so you can gather materials and make weapons/level up your characters. I found the first game really fun, if a bit repetitive after 15 hours, but some people really dislike the cluttered UI (even if that kind of happens in most musou games).

Fate/Extella and Fate/Extella Link: Now time for musou from another company and inspired by the Fate series. The first game is fun but suffers from a ton of purple prose that only pads the game and repetitive gameplay (even for the genre) because it forces you to kill X amount of generic mooks before the liutenants you need to kill appear. Combat is otherwise really fast and can be fun but it's still kind of a grind. Extella Link is the sequel and is MUCH better in pretty much every way but it's a little light on content. There's a campaign and extra missions to play but all in all it's still kind of an 18 hour game and that's a bit offputting for people really into the genre. I think they are both nice though, just don't expect characters from the mobile game to be here cause ~different timelines~ or something.

Senran Kagura: They are kind of a musou. They are pretty heavy on fanservice though so I'm not sure you'll like them but gameplay wise they are fun if pretty simplistic and the story is anime as gently caress. If you like boobs, these are ok. Unfortunately every one of them except the very first game have a toooooooooon of DLC.

I think that's all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

It's sad that the Gundam Musou is left to rot.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

InsertPotPun posted:

What's a good "Zelda-like" for PS4? I just want a simple adventure collecting tools and killing fools.

Also the best Dynasty Warriors type game? "Variety" being the watchword.

Swords of Ditto doesn't hit all the notes a 2D Zelda does, but it comes close.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Have you played Okami?

Its a Zelda game.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

InsertPotPun posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn?

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

The first Darksiders game is kinda zeldoish.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Vadun posted:

Swords of Ditto doesn't hit all the notes a 2D Zelda does, but it comes close.
I'm gonna give that a try.

Sorry, I should have specified 2D Zelda, guys.

Also that post was helpful but I can't seem to actually find DW7 in the PS4 store.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

InsertPotPun posted:

Also that post was helpful but I can't seem to actually find DW7 in the PS4 store.

Hyper Light Drifter

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

InsertPotPun posted:

I think DW7 is PS3/360/PC only? But if you can get DW8XL: Complete Edition instead, I personally don't think you're missing all that much by skipping 7. I actually liked the story mode in 8 better, since you don't even get to play as all of the characters in 7's Story Mode, and 8 has branching paths that provide some more variety. Conquest Mode in 7 is lots of fun, but Ambition Mode in 8 is it's own beast too.

But for the raw amount of content, I also like Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. It took me over 300 hours to get the Platinum trophy, so many story mode stages to play, and the Gauntlet Mode is really big enough to be it's own game. I haven't played Orochi 4 yet, but from what I hear it may be best to wait for the Ultimate edition of that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

InsertPotPun posted:

I haven't played it since the early aughts, but Zelda Classic?

edit: oh wait, you want it for PS4, nvm.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

CrossCode should be getting a PS4 port sometime this year.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think CrossCode is dissimilar enough from Zelda that I'd highly suggest checking a demo or something before buying, even if you don't usually do that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think CrossCode is dissimilar enough from Zelda that I'd highly suggest checking a demo or something before buying, even if you don't usually do that.

Seconded. CrossCode is a very good game and it does draw some inspiration from classic Zelda, but if you go in expecting a Zelda-like you run a high risk of being disappointed.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I’m not sure exactly what I want, but I do think I would like some kind of system where your character model gets cooler as you play the game, preferably because you’re getting more badass armor and weapons.

Skyrim does this okay except I was never a fan of its armors or character models.

BOTW also does this fairly well but I’d like the armor progression to be more linear I think?

HZD is bad at this; the armors never really look progressively better and in fact a lot of them are goofy af which I didn’t like.

XCOM 1&2 do a good job of this. So does Shadow Complex. The ideal would be like Shadow Complex except it’s Iron Man and you need ever progressing layers of Buster armor.

It seems like Monster Hunter World is the thing but the combat feels bad from playing the demo? Enemies seem real spongey, attacks feel floaty, I can’t quite put my finger on it but I don’t like it. I’m willing to be turned around on this though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Captain Magic posted:

It seems like Monster Hunter World is the thing but the combat feels bad from playing the demo? Enemies seem real spongey, attacks feel floaty, I can’t quite put my finger on it but I don’t like it. I’m willing to be turned around on this though.

I was pretty surprised by this. I thought MHW had some of the best combat in any game I've ever played, but to each their own. As far as a suggestion goes, I got this feeling from the Dark Souls games, you mostly gain gear by exploring or even turning boss souls into gear. There's also a F2P monster hunter clone called Dauntless that I haven't tried, maybe that will click with you. Even though the graphics aren't great, a Level 1 Diablo 3 character looks drastically different from a max level Diablo 3 character.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Captain Magic posted:

I wouldn't say floaty, but I didn't really like the combat either. The game is pretty reliant on good FPS though, if they suck the whole experience does imo.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Doing my own research enough people raved about MH:W (and it’s on sale) that I’m giving it an honest go and just assuming that I was doing the combat wrong.

IIRC I think I played the demo at the same time I picked up God of War or something so that might’ve shaded my perception.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Magic posted:

XCOM 1&2 do a good job of this. So does Shadow Complex. The ideal would be like Shadow Complex except it’s Iron Man and you need ever progressing layers of Buster armor.

I was a filthy casual in my run through PC launch (didn't get too deep into the 'smash tempered elder dragons' end, but I did ace double bagels). But to me the trick about movement/aim frustrations was to stop listening to any advice along the lines "The movement is really deep, you just don't get it" which made me keep expecting to be able to do things I couldn't.

Instead, I embraced the ideal of being the world's most deadly forklift. A mindset that did wonders for my aim and spacing.

There's honestly more to the combat than that (And I really doubt it would work out for the cool looking insect glaive), but hey it worked out for sword n shield leaping headshots much as it did for Gunlances and switch axes. I guess more reasonable expectations let you bust a T-rex or unicorn's face open better with whatever caught your fancy at the time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 10, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The movement is not deep at all, you can walk, run, or dive which has i frames. That's it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

There is nothing more satisfying than downing a big ol' monster with a greatsword. The slow pace of that weapon demands you learn how your enemy moves, figure out timing, and setting up a big swing and smashing into a dragon is the bessttttt

It's not movement/combat like say Bayonetta, it's this slower, nuanced thing. Not to say Bayonetta isn't nuanced but that's a different kind of complexity.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are 2 speeds, walk and run, you can only dive while running. There isn't nuance, the game would be broken in absolute two if it actually had an indepth movement system.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

There are 2 speeds, walk and run, you can only dive while running. There isn't nuance, the game would be broken in absolute two if it actually had an indepth movement system.

I should clarify nuanced: as in how it interfaces with the monster's movement.

Bringing a Bayonetta-esque movement system to Monster Hunter would be like bringing a chainsaw to a knife fight.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sounds fuckin' awesome, let's do it

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hwurmp posted:

Sounds fuckin' awesome, let's do it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/551730/Toukiden_2/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Magic posted:

Doing my own research enough people raved about MH:W (and it’s on sale) that I’m giving it an honest go and just assuming that I was doing the combat wrong.

IIRC I think I played the demo at the same time I picked up God of War or something so that might’ve shaded my perception.
You build up better and better gear, and fighting the monsters repeatedly, you start to learn their tics, their dependencies, their points to flee to, their weaknesses. You learn when you can safely land a solid, toppling blow, and send them crashing to the ground to get mercilessly beat upon until they regain their footing. As you progress, your gear starts looking cooler and you start to get more options and skill enhancements, such as quicker attacks, resistances and immunities to monster abilities. Each weapon plays completely differently, it's akin to fighting game characters where each style has its own ups and downs. I'd say try each weapon out. I eventually settled on Greatsword and then spent over 300 hours just clobbering the poo poo out of things with it. There is a really good polygon video that details exactly why the Greatsword is so god damned satisfying, even after over 500 solo hunts I still immensely enjoy landing a True Charged Slash, and watching this, you can see why(also talks about GOW/RDR2):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sPtxKqRa0I&hd=1

Hell, if you get it now, you can get MHW AND the expansion Iceborne for 60 bucks. That is a loving lot of content if you really get into it, seriously. And a lot of the monsters are a joy to fight. My personal favorite is Odogaron, the incredibly hyperactive, angry meaty doggo:

MHW is all about committing. Once you've committed to something, there's not many times you can back out of it. The Greatsword is immensely slow but also immensely powerful, and can knock down monsters with a single hit if timed right. But each attack can take multiple seconds and if you whiff, well, you're wide open. Other weapons like Dual Blades and the Insect Glaive are super fast but very weak per hit. It's all about picking what feels right for you. The really early game, you're working with poo poo armor and poo poo weapons that lose sharpness extremely quickly or barely have any at all. As you progress you build up stamina via improved food buffs, accrue items to improve stats during a hunt, and improve gear quality to sustain a fight longer without having to retreat to sharpen your weapon or restock items.

MHW is a very deep game, but it also might take a while for it to click. It's my first serious foray into a Monhun game after bouncing off multiple previous iterations, and I fell for this one HARD. The expansion looks insanely good, too. Love that caribou-lizard monster thing.

edit: also as you reach later in the game, you start to acquire layered armor, basically skins to lay over what would otherwise be a clownsuit. My mainstay outfit for my mixture of random gear that is great statwise but not so great lookwise is this fabulous combination of a three musketeers-looking set and a set literally crafted from giant butterflies, also peep my wonderfully hideous 8-bit megaman palico, he makes 8-bit megaman noises when he does stuff:

also I found it fun to actually just follow some monsters around and see what they do. turns out a lot of them just chill out and do random stuff all over the place that you probably would rarely if ever see if you just zoom in and kill them. Like this giant metallic barney just chillin' out on a cliff, watching the ocean

and this is my favorite killscreen, just absolutely WALLOPING an Arch-Tempered Teostra right on the noggin and he looks just so displeased by it

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 10, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

*Me playing 80 ish hours with a Lance*

I should really other weapons.

*Gets carted instantly by whatever is relevant monster at the time*

Lance it is then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gotta go beat up some beginner chumps like great jagras or pukei-pukei when trying out new weapons, it's like trying a new weapon on the current quest you're on in skyrim; you've got no skill with that thing yet, what are you doing trying to use it in an actually tough fight.

oh, and if ever anyone needs support when playing, the Monster Hunter Megathread is extremely helpful with getting new folks into the game and teaching the various idiosyncrasies of the series. I absolutely recommend the PC version if possible because the load times are almost literally nonexistent, and you can add extremely helpful quality of life mods like the monster loot light beacon that just makes a pillar of light on every bit of monster loot that drops so you can actually see the loving things in the grass.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 10, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Did they ever fix the horrid "your mouse is emulating a controller and controls nothing like a mouse" issues?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What's the install size of mh world

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
~20GB

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Add another 20 to that for the high texture pack if you’re so inclined.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah so the problem with MHW in the demo I had was sort of based around how weapon controls were awkward and I disliked how I had a giant blade ax thing and I didn’t really see the monster being cut apart or bloodied. Turns out I was using the absolute hardest weapon to get right(the charge sword, I think? The big transformer ax-sword-shield whatever).

Now that I’ve picked it up, I’m using the hammer. The hammer is my jam. Boom go hit on monster head, he go down boom. Landing a headshot on a big ugly lizard creature right before he mauls you is super satisfying. Also I don’t think so much about blood or whatever because it’s easier for me to think all the damage is internal.

Plus it’s all so goddamn charming. The palico’s little raft when you jump into the water? :allears:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I finally got around to playing Full Metal Furies and it's incredibly fun. Go buy it, play it.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Splicer posted:

I finally got around to playing Full Metal Furies and it's incredibly fun. Go buy it, play it.

It's fun, but it's ultimately one of the weirdest games I've ever encountered. (spoiler is either large or tiny depending on your perspective) After the credits, you discover that in addition to a classic beat-em-up it's also a meta-exploration puzzler in the vein of The Witness. It's like buying a ticket to an action film and then finding out you actually bought a double feature with a David Attenborough documentary.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any card games on mobile that don't require funneling money in to RNG to be any good?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is just a recommendation for everyone, buy bloodstained ritual of the night.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I'm in the market for a multiplayer FPS with simple DM that's fairly easy to set up private matches for just three or four people. We basically switch back and forth between Murder Miners and CS:GO deathmatch, and frankly neither of those is very good, but we struggle to find stuff that'll just let us set up a game and shoot each other. :help:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Danknificent posted:

I'm in the market for a multiplayer FPS with simple DM that's fairly easy to set up private matches for just three or four people. We basically switch back and forth between Murder Miners and CS:GO deathmatch, and frankly neither of those is very good, but we struggle to find stuff that'll just let us set up a game and shoot each other. :help:

Dusk
Overload

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Danknificent posted:

Overwatch is a terrible serious/competitive game but the private match stuff gives you an incredible degree of control to mess with the game's parameters. Making dumbass broken alternate rulesets for it is a lot a fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Overwatch is a terrible serious/competitive game but the private match stuff gives you an incredible degree of control to mess with the game's parameters. Making dumbass broken alternate rulesets for it is a lot a fun.

I’m partial to Overwatch so I’d back this up with the caveat that for only 4 people DM will be a little wonky unless you limit hero selection and choose a small map. Some heroes are at obvious disadvantages to others, and with that few people it’ll result in some very one sided games until you learn which heroes counter other heroes and are able to switch around accordingly.

Otherwise it’s fun team or DM shooter if you don’t take the try hard competitive matches too seriously.