Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The upside to these explanations is I guess I won the argument.

(It wasn’t really an argument.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pick and choose the authors you like and ignore the rest. There's 54 goddamn books, not counting the Siege of Terra. No need to read all of them.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I read the first one, and I thought it was an okay-to-promising setup for some decent epic tragedy melodrama, but with the benefit of seeing what followed it’s pretty obvious that promise wasn’t delivers on. I read... a fifth of the second one and stopped.

I also read Corax: Nevermore because at this point I’m a mark for my birbgoths. The revelation that Space Marines work because they’re all super-double-secretly a little bit part chaos daemon is pretty funny.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
You can basically skip half of them, just by not reading ones by bad authors.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
it's just thousands and thousands of pages of BROTHER, MY CHOLER IS RAISED.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Give us your best WET LEOPARD GROWL :radcat:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

TTerrible posted:

I've tried to read the HH series multiple times and I've never got further than book 3 or 4 because they're so just so boring

It sounds like you're hitting the most awful spot in the series. After reading the first three you should read The First Heretic, Know No Fear and Betrayer and then nothing else. There are so many poo poo books that it's painful.

Maybe Master of Mankind if you like ADB being as deliberately obscure as possible.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Actually, don't even read the first three.

Just read First Heretic, Know No Fear and Betrayer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Endman posted:

I'd also read Legion because it's a stand alone good book. First Heretic was really cool I think it's my tied favourite with Legion.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endman posted:

It sounds like you're hitting the most awful spot in the series. After reading the first three you should read The First Heretic, Know No Fear and Betrayer and then nothing else.

Extreme malpractice to advise that goon against reading Legion.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Asides from Wet Leopard Growling I really liked the thousand sons/space wolves books.

Also you have to read the first couple so you can get Horus having the most teenage breakdown and lol about it. "IT'S TOO MUCH!!!"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Endman posted:

It sounds like you're hitting the most awful spot in the series. After reading the first three you should read The First Heretic, Know No Fear and Betrayer and then nothing else. There are so many poo poo books that it's painful.

Maybe Master of Mankind if you like ADB being as deliberately obscure as possible.

Yeah I dipped in and read Master of Mankind because people kept telling me to and it was the Black Library equivalent of the last season of Lost. :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I love ADB as much as I hated the ending to Lost, so now I'm torn.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

moths posted:

I love ADB as much as I hated the ending to Lost, so now I'm torn.

It was ok and I see why people liked it but the "..and what purpose does this mysterious hall/machine/mural serve/depict? Only HE knows.." every other page just ground me down.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Also I read Vengeful Spirit recently and it was kind of worth it to see more Horus, more specifically following in the Emperor's footsteps but instead of being a bitch, making pacts and stealing from chaos, he loving went to war.

The rest of the book can go jump though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

JBP posted:

I'd also read Legion because it's a stand alone good book. First Heretic was really cool I think it's my tied favourite with Legion.

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

lol whoops, I totally forgot Legion even existed, my bad.

Endman
May 18, 2010

TTerrible posted:

It was ok and I see why people liked it but the "..and what purpose does this mysterious hall/machine/mural serve/depict? Only HE knows.." every other page just ground me down.

I get the feeling that this was inevitable. There's a paralysis in attempting to write a book about a character that is interesting almost solely because you don't know anything about him.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

I'm at book 29 and I like 'em. :shrug:

Fulgrim, Descent of Angels, Legion, Mechanicum, A Thousand Sons, Nemesis, The Outcast Dead, Know No Fear, Betrayer, and Vulkan Lives have been my highlights.

It is hard to keep them all straight after 29 books.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Strong disagree on Fulgrim, you will hate the words "perfection" and "stimulation" or whatever by the end, and the battles are turbo trash.

First Heretic, now that's I book I fuckin' blazed through, it's great.

Flight of the Eisenstein would be better if not for the 12th-hour surprise boss.

Master of Mankind should be read for the Best Blood Angel.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I liked Fulgrim but I'm an EC nerd.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Endman posted:

This

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

The Alpha Legion have twice as many Primarchs and less than half as much a clue as any other Legion, The End

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Valve Corp will basically be the Alpha Legion when Gabe dies and the "flat management structure" really kicks in.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
A thousand mobile desks circling an office, forever

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

adamantium|wang posted:

The Alpha Legion have twice as many Primarchs and less than half as much a clue as any other Legion, The End

As an Alpha Legion player, I resemble this remark!

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I'm on book 21 and I like them all so far, so obvious YMMV. I find them more fun than good though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just skip straight to First Heretic and then read the rest of the ADB ones if nothing else. Betrayer is easily my favorite Warhammer related book of all time.

Just a good book.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JBP posted:

I liked Fulgrim but I'm an EC nerd.

Fulgrim lost me with the swap at the end but apparently that got retconned immediately afterward so it was ok I guess?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They mentioned swap.avi in a Fulgrim book?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Where else would they?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm not surprised it got reconned immediately.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

TTerrible posted:

They mentioned swap.avi in a Fulgrim book?

I regret everything.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
In other news holy poo poo is Vulkan a beast. He went down last night but took two centurions, a praetor, two squads and most of another down with him before he died.

420 take primarchs everyday.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

tallkidwithglasses posted:

In other news holy poo poo is Vulkan a beast. He went down last night but took two centurions, a praetor, two squads and most of another down with him before he died.

420 take primarchs everyday.

VULKAN LIVES. Another cool game. Jealous at how much heresy you guys get in.

TTerrible posted:

I will bring three finished armies for Zone Mortalis to LVO 2020.

1000 Points - Blackshields
1000 Points - Imperial Fists
1000 Points - Mechanicum

:toxx:

I've been using old 40k models to test my grey dirty raw ceramite look for my Toxx'd blackshields using oils.

I'm pretty happy with this grey. It reads like a weird dull metallic at first.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TTerrible posted:

I've been using old 40k models to test my grey dirty raw ceramite look for my Toxx'd blackshields using oils.

Was the pink intentional?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

General Olloth posted:

Was the pink intentional?

100%

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Cool, I posted the wrong image anyway. That last one was them still covered in drying oil/thinner. This is them after 24hrs of drying and a matt varnish coat.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

VULKAN LIVES. Another cool game. Jealous at how much heresy you guys get in.

I know this isn't the final product, but this looks really good. The brighter white is real good. How'd you go about these?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Airbrush:

• Stynylrez Black Prime
  • Very light 90 degree zenithal VMA Black Grey, just to stop it being flat black.
  • Light 45 degree zenithal of VGA Cold Grey
  • Spot highlights of VGA Stonewall Grey wherever I thought would work. Helmet, top edge of torso, knees, feet etc.

Gloss varnish then covered heavily with lamp black. Pushed it way back with thinner after about an hour. Next ones I'll probably do sponge chipping before the gloss and then do some rust streaking with burnt umber once the black oil is dry.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Played The Smallest Heresy last night. Game swung entirely on a combat between palatine blades and pyroclasts that I narrowly won, but the highlight for me was doing a trench run on Olloths reaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Played The Smallest Heresy last night. Game swung entirely on a combat between palatine blades and pyroclasts that I narrowly won, but the highlight for me was doing a trench run on Olloths reaver.

:pcgaming: