Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

My first show was the August 20th 2013 taping for Main Event and Smackdown that week. I'll forever remember it for 2 things, the last dark match was Bryan, Mark Henry, and Big Show versus the Shield, and that I cheered myself hoarse enough that work thought I was sick the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

My first live wrestling show was a WCW house show in Winston Salem, NC. The main event was Ric and David Flair and someone else against three nWo B-team scrubs. A few women in attendance flashed Ric, who got one of the most enthusiastic crowd reactions I have ever heard in person.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The first show I was ever at, I dont remember except for looking down an an empty ring and wanting to get in it and wrestle, it was at the Brown County Arena, in Green Bay Wisconsin and I had to be maybe 3 or 4.

The first show I remember seeing was the SNME where Hulk Hogan lost by countout to the Genius Lanny Poffo. I remember crying because Hulk Hogan was always supposed to win. Obviously I had seen Wrestling before, but I dont remember anything before that. So Wrestling has been part of my life longer than i can remember.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my first live wrestling show i actually didnt like wrestling at the time. it was mid 1995. my mom worked for magnolia events catering in nj, and they were hired to sell concessions for an indy show in new jersey. i think it might have been early ecw but i dont remember too much. i just sat on a cooler playing link's awakening the entire time.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
My first live wrestling show was this one (which was held somewhere near Frankfurt, not in BW as listed there). I remember it being a fun little trip for my wrestling fan buddy and me. Notable people on that card are Crazy Sexy Mike and Ahmed Chaer who are still involved with German Wrestling Federation, including training at their wrestling school, alongside - as I've now learned - the guy who went by Flying Dragon back then. Oh, and that Double C kid from that six-man seems to have had a bit of a career, too.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

My first live match was Georg Hackenschmidt vs. Frank Gotch, I think it was April 1908

It was very hot, Frank Gotch used a ton of baby oil and smelled funny. Memories are hazy, I was only 13 years old.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DangerDummy! posted:

I haven't been in a decade or so. Are dirt dogs still a thing up there?

I also haven't been back there in ages, but if it's a weird and gross-sounding food thing I'm sure central New York won't let you down!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

dirt dogs have been replaced by lovely dumbass diarrhea dogs. the name comes from how they're covered in lots of delicious condiments

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Related: Best match you've ever seen live?

For me it would be Angle/Benoit at RR'03. It also immediately followed the worst match I'd ever seen live.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jeff jarrett vs x-pac on a house show loop back in "98" though the match felt like it was right out of "88"

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Ganso Bomb posted:

I also haven't been back there in ages, but if it's a weird and gross-sounding food thing I'm sure central New York won't let you down!

It's literally a hot dog covered with grill scrapin's. A Glens Falls original!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

For me it would be Angle/Benoit at RR'03. It also immediately followed the worst match I'd ever seen live.

Johnny Devine in a last man standing match versus a Canadian indy guy named the Highlander (who for years I thought was one of the Highlanders from WWE, turns out it wasn't).

Absolute war, they had a great brawl with some crazy bumps, including the finish, which was a double underhook piledriver off the apron through a table. It was to settle a feud, too, so it wasn't some throwaway thing. Both guys juiced. Also the first time I ever saw the Rewind Rana.

Found a poorly filmed version of it (in 4 parts on dailymotion), I forgot about Devine yelling at fans to stop (they were filing out, as it was the main) and show his opponent some respect after the match ended.

That actually leads me to a question for you all. Who's a guy who never got a real shot at doing something for a good/major company that you feel is underappreciated? For me, Devine would be on that list. As would Ravenous Randy Myers, Tyson Dux (it baffles me ROH never gave him an exentded look) and "Evil" Eddie Watts.

Keep in mind I don't count TNA. Very few people benefited from TNA from a career perspective.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 10, 2019

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Genericide posted:

My first live event had a really weirdly disparate collection of dudes. Mick Foley and Bill Apter flew to England for appearances, too.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=4712&page=2

I was here and this was my first live show. I returned to the Skydome for NXT UK tapings back in February.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I saw a good house show match between Jericho and Edge in 2002 and another good Jericho house show match in 2009-2010 or so against CM Punk. I also saw a good Avatar/Skip match in 1995.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I saw a good house show match between Jericho and Edge in 2002 and another good Jericho house show match in 2009-2010 or so against CM Punk. I also saw a good Avatar/Skip match in 1995.

People give Al Snow a lot of poo poo but back when he cared he was a pretty solid wrestler.

He is, however, one of the dumbest people in the wrestling industry when it comes to Meltzer.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If you dont count TNA, then Christopher Daniels, who was so goddamn good and is still so goddamn good, and I am glad he is going to be part of AEW, even if it had to be so late in his career.

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable
I worry that it's only because it's so recent in my memory and the atmosphere/being right up against the ring made it for me, but Minoru Suzuki vs Josh Barnett is the first thing that comes to mind for best live match

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

remusclaw posted:

If you dont count TNA, then Christopher Daniels, who was so goddamn good and is still so goddamn good, and I am glad he is going to be part of AEW, even if it had to be so late in his career.

I count ROH, of which Daniels was a triple crown champ. It is baffling that WWE saw nothing in him, though.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
It’s not baffling at all, since a he’s probably 5’8” legit.

edit and by the time Vince stopped caring about that as much, Daniels was old

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I count ROH, of which Daniels was a triple crown champ. It is baffling that WWE saw nothing in him, though.

Vince looked at him and saw a gold dot

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

afatwhiteloaf posted:

It’s not baffling at all, since a he’s probably 5’8” legit.

edit and by the time Vince stopped caring about that as much, Daniels was old

He looked noticeably taller than Danielson in matches against him and Danielson’s legit 5’8. I always figured he was hovering in the 5’10 range. Which would still not exactly light up Vince’s star receptors in the mid 2000s admittedly

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Undertaker vs CM Punk. We waited like three hours in 30 degree weather for a good match, and when we finally got one that crowd was nuts

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't grow up watching WWF/E, so I always feel left out during these questions.

I'm not sad though, Ric Flair was the real world's champion, anyway. :colbert:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Randaconda posted:

I didn't grow up watching WWF/E, so I always feel left out during these questions.

I'm not sad though, Ric Flair was the real world's champion, anyway. :colbert:

I think the weirdest thing about the Real World Champ angle was that the broadcast team there to witness Heenan unveiling the belt was Gorilla Monsoon and uh, Jim Niedhart (who strokes his beard concernedly the whole time).

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was a later convert to NWA and WCW, and while I like their stuff from back then more now, at the time it looked so boring. I remember some family gave me some WCW trading cards, and i think I was looking at a Lex Luger one amidst others and was just thinking, look at all these bland people in trunks, knee pads and boots, where are the cool costumes I am accustomed to seeing in early 90s WWF?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 11, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Rocky Romero vs ELP or Ospreay vs Bandido from the BSOJ are the best matches I've seen live

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hellblazer187 posted:

I caught an American Alpha/Revival match at an NXT house show, that was some good poo poo

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Hellblazer187 posted:

ELP v David Starr ladder match in rev pro just before elp jetted off for BOSJ.

Although i've not seen a great deal of live wrestling and before that it was just like wwe house shows which were all by the number.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Best match I’ve seen live was Gargano/Cole from WrestleMania weekend. Possibly the best match I’ve seen, period.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TL posted:

Best match I’ve seen live was Gargano/Cole from WrestleMania weekend. Possibly the best match I’ve seen, period.

I think Dave gave it 5.5* which puts it in his like top 10 or 20 ever or whatever.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Best match I’ve seen live is probably Bryan Danielson vs SHINGO in Dragon Gate USA in 2010 but I’ll never forgive them for cutting Danielson’s entrance and only playing Final Countdown after the match for some reason. That was my only chance to see that entrance live damnit

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

First wrestling I ever saw was SummerSlam 1989, which happened like a month after my first clear memory ever so I guess wrestling has been a part of my whole life so far as I can recall.

The first live show I went to was the Boston Garden house show with Hogan vs Flair just before the Rumble in ‘92. Then I went to Survivor Series the next year, saw a show in ‘96 from some UMaine arena, and didn’t go to another show until the first night of the G1 Special from Long Beach a couple years back.

The best live match I’ve seen would probably be Okada/Cody or Ishii/Naito from that night? Otherwise I’ve seen a lot of crappy wrestling live, including that Hogan/Flair match (Hogan tossed Flair outside and Flair got counted out).

I did get to see the start of the Owen/Bret saga, though. That’s pretty cool.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

either cole/gargano at takeover brooklyn or rhodes/rhodes at double or nothing. its really close, and i cant belive they both happened in the same year.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
My first live event had this happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPV9xjq6IcA

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Best match I’ve seen live is probably Bryan Danielson vs SHINGO in Dragon Gate USA in 2010 but I’ll never forgive them for cutting Danielson’s entrance and only playing Final Countdown after the match for some reason. That was my only chance to see that entrance live damnit

Might have been after he returned to WWE and they decided to cut his entrance for rights reasons? I know he was insistent on honoring his commitments.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I missed the era where CM Punk made those unfortunate facial hair and haircut choices.

I didn't miss his casual homophobia. Punk seemed to be a huge product of my generation re: that stuff and obviously too much of a stubborn rear end in a top hat to ever change.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I missed the era where CM Punk made those unfortunate facial hair and haircut choices.

I didn't miss his casual homophobia. Punk seemed to be a huge product of my generation re: that stuff and obviously too much of a stubborn rear end in a top hat to ever change.

Agreed about the homophobia.

I liked it when he aped Mike Patton's look, though. And for a long time he was the reason I watched WWE TV.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I think my first live show was one of the Raw Reunions where Linda ate a Stunner and I think Kevin Von Erich gave someone The Claw.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

First wrestling I ever saw was a WCW house show in 1997. I think the main event was Baron Corbin vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

My first live WWE show was a house show in San Jose. Rey and Eddie had a 2/3 falls match that some fat dude hated. He chanted boring.

Also I met Paul London.

I might have a picture I'll take a look