Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Virtual Captain posted:

Notes are cool and it would be criminal NOT to release source/standalone.

Are there sprites animation stuff attached or is it all placeholder?

:fap:

Yeah, that notebook is really really sick and cool to see. Definitely looks like the notes of someone who spent insane time on it. I’d really love to see the notes for the rest of the game... Bort promised some if the thread was good vibes but I’m not sure that was possible

A Major Fucker posted:

"neo-shekels" is punching up

This sucks, dude

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dear forums posters brapbeat_hardcore and spit on my clit,

Stop posting ITT. I am literally begging you.

Thanks,
Me

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

if you can't slam with the best

then jam with the rest

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019
Is Basketball Tactics owned by TOG, legally, or does the dev have rights to work on it? It would be really good to see some of the work done on this game come out as seperate projects which is how it probably should have been done anyway

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Richard spencer is not in the news all the time and most people who are in the news become faceless and nameless after a week, or sometimes even 5 minutes.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So who’s gonna make the DARK DRAKERZ gang tag?

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jesus shut up

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

brapbeat_hardcore posted:

I don't really want to go on about the game being possible to complete because I don't think that's likely to happen, but what if it suddenly flipped to a Radical Dreamers/Xenogears style text thing once all the playable content ends? And if rights were sold on to another developer just to put it to rest, would that make it an interesting product? Speaking hypothetically because I can't see that happening

As funny and meta it would be for Barkley to do the Xenogears Sit on Chairs disk, from how it's described the second half of the game isn't an unfinished script, it literally doesn't exist.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
I just wanted to follow news on the sequel to my favorite Basketball JRPG and I ended up reading five pages of discussion on furries and nazis and stuff.

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019

mycot posted:

As funny and meta it would be for Barkley to do the Xenogears Sit on Chairs disk, from how it's described the second half of the game isn't an unfinished script, it literally doesn't exist.

There's possibly a really high level version of how this ends, since ideas fo the game were clearly conceptualised prior to Barkley 1 getting the full release. I don't know if things have changed since then but somebody knew where this was going. I think the more important thing would be to just release this game however it is for the sake of closure but that doesn't seem on the cards.

I believe Barkley was going to show up as an unnamed force ghost or something for a cameo

Dude I've moved on and I don't understand how that post could make you this angry but OK

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dude I've moved on and I don't understand how that post could make you this angry but OK

your trolling methods have gotten boring, get new material

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

neither of you are very good at this tbh

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Because it's obnoxious

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Because it's obnoxious

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

If Sonicfox teaches us anything

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

stop defending notch

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Because it's obnoxious

I agree, your reply was very obnoxious, but I'm ignoring the other poster and I'd rather talk about the game and not get banned long enough to share my extremely limited knowledge of what was in it and why what was in Barkley 1 was in. Is that cool with you?

I am curious if any of the movie theatre animations that were commissioned were ever worked on, I believe that was docfuture

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I agree, your reply was very obnoxious, but I'm ignoring the other poster and I'd rather talk about the game and not get banned long enough to share my extremely limited knowledge of what was in it and why what was in Barkley 1 was in. Is that cool with you?

I am curious if any of the movie theatre animations that were commissioned were ever worked on, I believe that was docfuture

snail zauber

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

I meant your post was obnoxious but yeah I would much rather you post about that

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
To be honest, this is the thread Barkley2 deserves.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTXpXesMcKE

e: Just in case, I did miss out on all the positivity earlier so I wanted to echo what many said and thank the guys for coming around and sharing some stories with us

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I don’t know about the script but there was definitely a plot in place for Barkley 2. I know Chef had Barkley 3 conceived in some form too since I remember him mentioning it in a thread a long time ago. Something comparing it to the plot of this one old JRPG with a bizarre premise that I can’t remember... I think. Or maybe I dreamed all of that.

Ciaphas posted:

neither of you are very good at this tbh

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 10, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I do feel that all this talk of excusing the 2008 edge jokes is marred by the fact we have posters making homophobic and racist posts itt right now and will probably continue to. But its cool because they leave off the full stop so are clearly poo poo posting.

Like fine. Say the otherkin stuff is OK because they were actually an 'internet thing before trans was an internet thing'. Or that neo shekels is punching up. and then tell posters to shut up about it with swift owns like quoting dril or asking them to stop posting.

It's OK to say "hey I have nostalgic warm feelings towards Barkley" and also "maybe some of the jokes were off colour in retrospect?". It's weird pride to defend the game's humour in 2019. As if not acknowledging how unintentionally bad some of it was keeps you young and pwning.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lampsacus posted:

I do feel that all this talk of excusing the 2008 edge jokes is marred by the fact we have posters making homophobic and racist posts itt right now

where?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I think I'll hit the snoozegow and I think there are 2 possibilities when I wake up...

1. Thread has been gassed

2. B2 Demo appears and thread is filled with people yelling about how bad the game is and if this is really what we wasted 6 years on

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I don’t know about the script but there was definitely a plot in place for Barkley 2. I know Chef had Barkley 3 conceived in some form too since I remember him mentioning it in a thread a long time ago. Something comparing it to the plot of this one old JRPG with a bizarre premise that I can’t remember... I think. Or maybe I dreamed all of that.

Oh poo poo, I remember this, it was something like a b-ball mech tactics game about the ancient ballers, like a prequel or something. I don't think it needed a defined ending from Barkley 2 to springboard off.

Lampsacus posted:

I do feel that all this talk of excusing the 2008 edge jokes is marred by the fact we have posters making homophobic and racist posts itt right now and will probably continue to. But its cool because they leave off the full stop so are clearly poo poo posting.

Like fine. Say the otherkin stuff is OK because they were actually an 'internet thing before trans was an internet thing'. Or that neo shekels is punching up. and then tell posters to shut up about it with swift owns like quoting dril or asking them to stop posting.

It's OK to say "hey I have nostalgic warm feelings towards Barkley" and also "maybe some of the jokes were off colour in retrospect?". It's weird pride to defend the game's humour in 2019. As if not acknowledging how unintentionally bad some of it was keeps you young and pwning.

Pretty much, I don't think bort of chef have done anything to assume bad faith on their part, but either games are worth talking about or they're just disposable. I think despite every effort to make Barkley disposable it isn't. Katana Zero seemed like it had some engagement with politics and morality in a way that impressed me, particularly the way the minions humanise themselves before you burst into the room and carve them up and all the war flashback poo poo. One bad thing about art taking a long time is you don't get to see the growth in the artist.

brapbeat_hardcore fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 10, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Otherkin communities are funny as hell and aren't equivalent to trans people.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Gortarius posted:

I think I'll hit the snoozegow and I think there are 2 possibilities when I wake up...

2. B2 Demo appears and thread is filled with people yelling about how bad the game is and if this is really what we wasted 6 years on

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lampsacus posted:

Shitposting won't make the heart stay sharp.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

This never happened but we wanted to make a Mode7 cutscene where Hoopz sings among a golden barley field about finding out who he is. The song I think was meant at one point to be a cover of that Sting song with the lyrics changed to ’Fields of Barkley’.

I made a Mode7 engine for this and also used it for a Space Harrier B-Ball prototype. My idea was the bball competition quests would all stay the same except when players are on court and ref starts the game you are suddenly taken to this absurd Space Harrier minigame where hoopz runs with a B-Ball through skyscrapers and enemies like T-rexes, helicopters etc and then dunks a hoop at the end. Then back to the court and players go ”Wow that was a good match!”. This was before TTX existed.

After TTX and its quest happened I wanted to make a quest where Hoopz scoffs at the lame imposter b-ball (TTX) kids grow up with these days and finally gets a chance to play True B-Ball (Space Harrier). This never went beyond ideas stage because I could never write a quest to completion to save my life. Another addition to the Cool Ideas Landfill.

Vipershark
Nov 13, 2010

Barley

brapbeat_hardcore
Jun 6, 2019

Bisse posted:

This never happened but we wanted to make a Mode7 cutscene where Hoopz sings among a golden barley field about finding out who he is. The song I think was meant at one point to be a cover of that Sting song with the lyrics changed to ’Fields of Barkley’.

I made a Mode7 engine for this and also used it for a Space Harrier B-Ball prototype. My idea was the bball competition quests would all stay the same except when players are on court and ref starts the game you are suddenly taken to this absurd Space Harrier minigame where hoopz runs with a B-Ball through skyscrapers and enemies like T-rexes, helicopters etc and then dunks a hoop at the end. Then back to the court and players go ”Wow that was a good match!”. This was before TTX existed.

After TTX and its quest happened I wanted to make a quest where Hoopz scoffs at the lame imposter b-ball (TTX) kids grow up with these days and finally gets a chance to play True B-Ball (Space Harrier). This never went beyond ideas stage because I could never write a quest to completion to save my life. Another addition to the Cool Ideas Landfill.

Oh man, please tell me the prototype exists. I had no idea this would become one of the great lost games, but this genuinely needs a Frank Cifaldi or someone to archive it. That all sounds absolutely amazing.

Edit: so clearly the BBT coder should have worked on making the game shippable as per their proven skillset and you should have had the Space Harrier game, I guess?

brapbeat_hardcore fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 10, 2019

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Bisse posted:

I love it. I think having it as the “true” b-ball game after a series of TTX games is a wonderful way to build up to the joke. I hope that somewhere, somehow, that idea gets reused.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Gortarius posted:

you've done something powerful here and i'm happy for you all except for the scope creep

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Platinum games works in a space harrier reference to every goddamn game they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bisse posted:

See the game should have entirely been stuff like this, with the combat being TTX or just not there at all (ALA To The Moon), and it would have been perfection.