Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Even more recent medicine could be nuts. Just look at the career of Dr. Henry Andrews Cotton in NJ Trenton Psychiatric Hospital from the 1900s - 1930s. He believed that mental illness was the result of untreated bacterial infections in the body. The solution, therefore, was to remove all the teeth of the patients in the psychiatric hospital. When that didn't work, he decided the infections must be deeper in the body, and moved on to removing colons, stomachs, testicles, ovaries, gall bladders, and cervixes. He claimed that these combined procedures had an 85% success rate, but he also counted "the patient died" as a success. This wasn't hypocrisy either, Dr. Cotton performed teeth removals to help with the mental health of this own sons, and when he had a mental breakdown later in life, he had many of his own teeth removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Even more recent medicine could be nuts. Just look at the career of Dr. Henry Andrews Cotton in NJ Trenton Psychiatric Hospital from the 1900s - 1930s. He believed that mental illness was the result of untreated bacterial infections in the body. The solution, therefore, was to remove all the teeth of the patients in the psychiatric hospital. When that didn't work, he decided the infections must be deeper in the body, and moved on to removing colons, stomachs, testicles, ovaries, gall bladders, and cervixes. He claimed that these combined procedures had an 85% success rate, but he also counted "the patient died" as a success. This wasn't hypocrisy either, Dr. Cotton performed teeth removals to help with the mental health of this own sons, and when he had a mental breakdown later in life, he had many of his own teeth removed.

Yeah, that guy shows up in the Knick.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alhazred posted:

The tablets were made out of lead so you didn't have to chisel it.

Do I want to yeet them into my water source or that of mine enemy?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Cacafuego posted:

E: if you haven’t yet, go watch The Knick. It’s a fictional, stylized version of early 1900’s medicine in NYC and it’s loving great.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alhazred posted:

That plot line almost made me feel bad for the smug racists rear end in a top hat doctor. Almost.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

golden bubble posted:

Given that untreated tooth decay is being linked with dementia and Alzheimer's, this is a pretty crazy "stopped clock" kind of situation.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

So they were mostly cursing women and retail workers, huh? Some things never change.

complaining at people selling you things is as old as the written word and probably older

This letter was found in Babylon, dated to about 1750 BCE

quote:

Tell Ea-nasir: Nanni sends the following message:

When you came, you said to me as follows : "I will give Gimil-Sin (when he comes) fine quality copper ingots." You left then but you did not do what you promised me. You put ingots which were not good before my messenger (Sit-Sin) and said: "If you want to take them, take them; if you do not want to take them, go away!"

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt? I have sent as messengers gentlemen like ourselves to collect the bag with my money (deposited with you) but you have treated me with contempt by sending them back to me empty-handed several times, and that through enemy territory. Is there anyone among the merchants who trade with Telmun who has treated me in this way? You alone treat my messenger with contempt! On account of that one (trifling) mina of silver which I owe(?) you, you feel free to speak in such a way, while I have given to the palace on your behalf 1,080 pounds of copper, and umi-abum has likewise given 1,080 pounds of copper, apart from what we both have had written on a sealed tablet to be kept in the temple of Shamash.

How have you treated me for that copper? You have withheld my money bag from me in enemy territory; it is now up to you to restore (my money) to me in full.

Take cognizance that (from now on) I will not accept here any copper from you that is not of fine quality. I shall (from now on) select and take the ingots individually in my own yard, and I shall exercise against you my right of rejection because you have treated me with contempt.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

PMush Perfect posted:

Right, sorry. PAVLA DEAN is the one who carves all her curses into sticks of butter.

I thought she was the one who hated Numidians?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Elyv posted:

complaining at people selling you things is as old as the written word and probably older

If I remember right, that letter was found in an archive of similar ones. The recipient was apparently collecting and saving all his hate mail.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Given that untreated tooth decay is being linked with dementia and Alzheimer's, this is a pretty crazy "stopped clock" kind of situation.

I wash going to shay.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've heard that having all your teeth removed was scarily common in the early 20th century, mostly inflicted on children, because dentures were cheaper than dental care.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

My grandpa (born 1910) got dentures for his lutheran confirmation at age 14. He was in the Faroe Islands though, I don't think I've heard of it being done in Denmark itself.

Wonder if it was scurvy, being on weeks-long fishing trips towards the Greenland Sea probably didn't help. He hated it and went to Denmark and became a ship builder. I remember his niece (born 1943) telling me she didn't see an orange until she was in her 20s. Maybe they got all their vitamins from grind (pilot whales)?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Krankenstyle posted:

My grandpa (born 1910) got dentures for his lutheran confirmation at age 14. He was in the Faroe Islands though, I don't think I've heard of it being done in Denmark itself.

Wonder if it was scurvy, being on weeks-long fishing trips towards the Greenland Sea probably didn't help. He hated it and went to Denmark and became a ship builder. I remember his niece (born 1943) telling me she didn't see an orange until she was in her 20s. Maybe they got all their vitamins from grind (pilot whales)?

People in northern europe typically got their scurvy cured with sauerkraut.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, one thing that's been coming out is that dental health actually affects basically everything. While it is rarely a singular cause of much bad oral hygiene makes pretty much everything else worse. Just brushing and going in for the occasional cleaning does wonders for your overall health.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You only have to floss the teeth you want to keep.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Yeah cabbage was huge in Denmark, but there's not a ton of arable land on the Faroes, and I'm guessing a lot of it was used for various grains (sheep were grazed on the steep slopes). Imports were usually monopolized through Denmark, as well.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

A cure almost as bad as the disease...

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Krankenstyle posted:

Happened to my grandmother who was born in northern Finland in the 20's. The only dentists available for hundreds of kilometers were travelling ones going from village to village. She told me it was a pretty common confirmation present to get all your teeth pulled out and a nice set of dentures, because the dentist will probably only visit your village couple of times a year.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Elyv posted:

I absolutely love the "take it or leave it" bit, lovely merchants have not changed at all in the last 3770 years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bony-Eared Assfish posted:

Happened to my grandmother who was born in northern Finland in the 20's. The only dentists available for hundreds of kilometers were travelling ones going from village to village. She told me it was a pretty common confirmation present to get all your teeth pulled out and a nice set of dentures, because the dentist will probably only visit your village couple of times a year.

That makes sense. Denmark surely had much better access to doctors & dentists than the Faroes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

anonumos posted:

sauerkraut is awesome and also extremely good for you

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

anonumos posted:

I'm reasonably certain that dishes like bigos were invented specifically to make sauerkraut not terrible. Kraut keeps somewhere between "a decade" and "for loving ever" but a lot of people despise it. I love cabbage but don't like sauerkraut at all but boy howdy does it make the base for drat fine stew.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm reasonably certain that dishes like bigos were invented specifically to make sauerkraut not terrible. Kraut keeps somewhere between "a decade" and "for loving ever" but a lot of people despise it. I love cabbage but don't like sauerkraut at all but boy howdy does it make the base for drat fine stew.

As always, Townsends has a great pair of videos on sauerkraut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITpr3e_Ld3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFfdHL_D7Zo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

So does Weird Al

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE37e1eK2mY

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

I absolutely love the "take it or leave it" bit, lovely merchants have not changed at all in the last 3770 years.

Sometimes you look at the past and think "I don't understand these people at all"

Other times you look at the past and think "I understand these people perfectly"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ea-nasir paid for hist dastardly ways. He had to sell part of his house to a neighbour.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Every thread I read today makes me crave a different cuisine. Isn't there some saying about goons and food?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

PMush Perfect posted:

So they were mostly cursing women and retail workers, huh? Some things never change.

I remember reading a book on the folk history of vampires/revenants and one thing that jumped out was the fact that vampirism wasn't spread by being bitten, but due to a range of possibilities; if you weren't baptized, if you were a Muslim, a bandit, etc. but my particular favourite, from Bulgaria, if I recall, was if you were a 'dishonest barmaid'.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Elyv posted:

Sometimes you look at the past and think "I don't understand these people at all"

Other times you look at the past and think "I understand these people perfectly"

There's a very large (iirc) Assyrian or Babylonian frieze in the Bristol Museum of these big winged human figures with script carved over them, and the script is carved to not cover up the wings of the figures apart from one, where the script just goes straight over the wings. It always makes me laugh thinking about some stonemason 3,000 years ago leaving his apprentice to do the last carving while he goes to lunch, and then coming back to find out the kid hosed it up and that there's no time to redo it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Samovar posted:

I remember reading a book on the folk history of vampires/revenants and one thing that jumped out was the fact that vampirism wasn't spread by being bitten, but due to a range of possibilities; if you weren't baptized, if you were a Muslim, a bandit, etc. but my particular favourite, from Bulgaria, if I recall, was if you were a 'dishonest barmaid'.

Weirdly, that's part of the plot of this webcomic.

Highly recommend giving it a read, but the site seems down for the moment. Pitty! It's been finished for awhile. http://www.bitemecomic.com/

edit: Yay, seems to be working again. Go read it! It has revolutionary France and vampires.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The most important thing about Bite Me is that it's a farce. There are not nearly enough farcical webcomics.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The most important thing about Bite Me is that it's a farce. There are not nearly enough farcical webcomics.

oyvind thorsby just woke up in a cold sweat and doesn't know why

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Peanut Butler posted:

oyvind thorsby just woke up in a cold sweat and doesn't know why

I took every frame of Hitmen as earnestly sincere. Am I an idiot?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Wow I haven't heard this in years, thank you.

Also, Reuben sandwiches are awesome and if you disagree I feel sorry for you.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

I'm oddly compelled by this.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Cacafuego posted:

He also had a mental breakdown and spent the rest of his life in an insane asylum because nobody believed him.

The rest of his life was also really, really short because on arrival after realizing he'd been tricked and tried to leave. The guards brutalized and restrained him and he never recovered, dying within two weeks.

I wonder who can blame him for being a jerk to a bunch of pompous assholes causing death by hubris. As unscientific as he was by today's standards I have a feeling that at the time the counter-arguments against his theorizing had just as loose a basis in reality if not worse. It'd be interesting to see what was actually being said at the time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

All this talk reminded me of a recent, very interesting article about the first female doctor in Denmark, Nielsine Nielsen, who through perseverance managed to get an official exception to the male-exclusive secondary education in 1870 and thereby access to university education in medicine. Her memoirs were originally published in 1941 and 1985 but were both times redacted because she was quite candid about some of the big men of the time. It is now 100 years since her death, and her original manuscript is available for viewing at the Royal Danish Library.

Prior to receiving her permit, prof. Matthias Saxtorph of the University of Denmark had sent his arguments against it to the Ministry for Church- and Education in 1874: That a woman might "desire" to study medicine, and thus want to study "the male body" is evidence of her lack of "decency and modesty". The same year, prostitution had been legalized in the form of offentlige fruentimmer (public women), and he writes that while prostitution "is a necessary evil," female doctors are "an entirely unnecessary evil."

Nonetheless, university education was made accessible to women, and upon beginning, Nielsine met a young student named Rudolf Bergh, who invited her into his parents' home, a lodestone in the Cultural-Radical milieu of Copenhagen. There, she met such luminaries as the painter P.S. Krøyer, poet J.P. Jakobsen, brothers Georg Brandes (critic, instigator of the Modern Breakthrough) and Edvard (journalist, co-founder of of the Politiken newspaper). Her memoirs comment on the latent antisemitism of the bourgeoisie, as evidenced in how Georg Brandes is burdened by his Judaism.

In January 1885, she finishes her candidacy with the highest grade, and wishes to specialize in gynecology. The Berghs entreat eminent gynecologist Frantz Howitz to teach her, much against his will. Her unredacted memoirs mention that when they walk from one clinic to another, his "mouth runs over with scorn the entire way," and he introduces her to other doctors as "Miss Half-doctor". "It was the first time in my life that I stood before such thoroughly brutal chicanery," she writes.

Howitz is also virulently antisemitic, how Jews are not fit to be doctors, because their fingers were created "for counting money". One time, they encounter Dr. Jacobi, "a gentleman to the tee" but whom Howitz from a distance start in on the Jew doctor walking there on his Jew legs. Nielsine Nielsen mention that Howitz' wife had Jewish ancestry, and mentions one time when she loudly proclaimed her disgust for Jews while within earshot of Nielsine and one of her teachers, the Jewish Ludvig Trier, "I wonder if she knows that she half Jewish, or has her husband's fanaticism infected her to the point of betraying her own blood?"

A large street in the posh Frederiksberg is named after Howitz to this day.

A grandson of Howitz was interviewed for the article, and he says that he didn't think his grandfather was antisemitic, but he might have been influenced by a dispute he had with professor of obstetrics Carl Levy over the hygiene at the Royal Danish Birth Clinic.

Anyway, she is unable to finalize her specialization in Denmark due to Howitz, and she eventually goes to England to study under Lawson Tait. The unredacted memoirs describe him as "an older, fat master butcher" and how he charges her exorbitantly for the privilege of studying under him. He will only allow her to passively observe during procedures, and gets angry with students for daring to ask to borrow a microscope. Some time after she returns to Denmark, he is disgraced for molesting a head nurse.

In Denmark, Nielsine works at the Royal Birth Clinic and the memoirs talk about prof. Stadfeldt whose residence is 14 rooms while the midwives sleep 4 to a room in "a miserable chamber" in a smelly stairway. Though Stadfeldt had, much later than other countries, insitituted antiseptics & hand-washing, she was not impressed, having just spent time in surgical environs. He's a "terrible gynecologist" and his lectures are miserable: "It was like a piece of the middle ages in the middle of modern medical science."

She never becomes a gynecologist, but instead the first venerologist in Copenhagen (of any gender!) — specialist in venereal disease.

Two years before she died unmarried in 1916, she set about writing her memoirs, which she wills to a dr.phil. Henrik Bertelsen who had agreed to publish them, with any removals or additions he deem necessary. He never gets around to it, though, only publishing a 23 page portrait of her in 1923, even writing that her memoirs are of "no special value" and contain "strongly colored depictions" of the people she came into contact with and therefore "are not fit for publication."

In 1941, a redacted version is published, but is heavily critiqued for its "personal attacks". The 1985 version was also redacted, likely due to the earlier critique.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 07:44 on Jun 12, 2019

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Red Bones posted:

There's a very large (iirc) Assyrian or Babylonian frieze in the Bristol Museum of these big winged human figures with script carved over them, and the script is carved to not cover up the wings of the figures apart from one, where the script just goes straight over the wings. It always makes me laugh thinking about some stonemason 3,000 years ago leaving his apprentice to do the last carving while he goes to lunch, and then coming back to find out the kid hosed it up and that there's no time to redo it.

Ankor Wat was converted from a Hindu temple to a Buddhist one during the twelfth century, and there are sections with hundreds of little images of Vishnu that have been re-carved into Buddhas. And it really amused me that the ones in the middle of the walls are done really well; you'd never know they were every anything else. But then there's the ones in the corners and high up, that aren't really the focus, that are really half-assed, and in some places there's still a few Vishnus that weren't replaced at all.

You can just imagine some Khmer artisan growing increasingly sick of the work and just wanting to get it done, and thinking to themselves "The main ones are done, in a hundred years, who's going to care if I slack off on these other ones?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I'm oddly compelled by this.
Hitmen for Destiny is a webcomic that's very hard to describe except by just linking pages and telling someone "it makes sense in context, but if you need the context, you probably won't like HFD".