Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Fallom posted:

Hunters do it because they like killing and watching things die and if that part wasn’t important they would hunt and then not take the shot. Their behavior isn’t really atypical even if the target was protected.

hunting is a more ethical source of protein than putting cattle in dense feed lots so they poo poo all over one another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

The NRA sent me a card asking me to become a member so I guess they must really be hurting for money. Normally I only get mail from the ACLU and George Soros.

I elect to get my Soros crisis actor instructions via text.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

did they take away their gun and hunting licenses for life?

10 year license revocation for the father, 1 year and required to take a hunter safety course for the son, IIRC. Not going back to read it again to double check those numbers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Apparently he's a reserve human resource officer.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The NRA sent me a card asking me to become a member so I guess they must really be hurting for money. Normally I only get mail from the ACLU and George Soros.

I wish my Soros checks were an electronic transfer instead of a paper check. Real hassle to have to sign and upload it via my Navy Federal app.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Somehow I ended up on a bunch of right wing mailing lists, I get mail from the NRA, RNC, 2nd Amendment Foundation, AARP and a bunch of other stuff.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Godholio posted:

This is utter bullshit for the vast majority of hunters.

yeah the hunters I know are knowledgable on conservation and take the DEP/fish and game people
seriously

they joke about going over their fish limit obviously, everyone has a joke about playing off a bite when dep walks by to check your limit, but i have yet to meet anyone in my life who is a hunter who wasn't also a strong conservationist

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Crakkerjakk posted:

10 year license revocation for the father, 1 year and required to take a hunter safety course for the son, IIRC. Not going back to read it again to double check those numbers.

Apparently they make(made) some of their living doing hunting/guide services too (and of course the Alaskan Welfare Fund for Big Grown-Ups/permanent fund)
They have a FB page and everything...

I feel like they’re the types who should have their DNA entered in the LE CODIS or whatever for when women start going missing/are found dead.

The congratulatory behavior at gunning down a sleeping bear and killing the cubs definitely seems to show their character. I imagine there were some missing pets and maimed wild animals in the neighborhoods/towns where daddy and son grew up respectively.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah the hunters I know are knowledgable on conservation and take the DEP/fish and game people
seriously

they joke about going over their fish limit obviously, everyone has a joke about playing off a bite when dep walks by to check your limit, but i have yet to meet anyone in my life who is a hunter who wasn't also a strong conservationist

I don’t really hunt anymore(like since 2010) and I’ve found about half of the folks I know who hunt do unlawful poo poo if they think they can get away with it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dingleberry posted:

Apparently they make(made) some of their living doing hunting/guide services too (and of course the Alaskan Welfare Fund for Big Grown-Ups/permanent fund)
They have a FB page and everything...

I feel like they’re the types who should have their DNA entered in the LE CODIS or whatever for when women start going missing/are found dead.

The congratulatory behavior at gunning down a sleeping bear and killing the cubs definitely seems to show their character. I imagine there were some missing pets and maimed wild animals in the neighborhoods/towns where daddy and son grew up respectively.

yeah if we're going to have the death penalty for anything it should be juvenile animal abuse it's just such a glaring obvious red flag

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Cops protect their own :ssh:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Dingleberry posted:

I don’t really hunt anymore(like since 2010) and I’ve found about half of the folks I know who hunt do unlawful poo poo if they think they can get away with it.

i dont hunt so that was just my impression

i do want to start fishing again, need to grab my license

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

This makes me so happy. The NRA is an evil organization, and the sooner it collapses and dies, the better

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-p2xAyF6fA
(The Ghost Dog bear scene)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Are Milkshakes the new Molotov yet?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

seriously

I was on a Washington fb page for fishing until I got kicked off for arguing that California sea lions are not “invasive”. Hilarious that white people are so rabidly anti predator and anti native.
I will vote for anything that further restricts fishing and hunting rights in this state because their crying sustain my empty soul.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
The only thing allowed to kill animals is ME and NOBODY can tell me when, where, or what I can't kill!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
but what if the predator is a crab

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

This is utter bullshit for the vast majority of hunters.

I haven’t met many subsistence hunters since moving out of the mountains, just guys who act like they’re describing wildlife photography trips where they get to do a kill at the end.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

hunting is a more ethical source of protein than putting cattle in dense feed lots so they poo poo all over one another

That’s true but there are options to ethically source meat without personally experiencing the thrill of the kill.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 10, 2019

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Deathy McDeath posted:

but what if the predator is a crab

Crab battle duh

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LingcodKilla posted:

I was on a Washington fb page for fishing until I got kicked off for arguing that California sea lions are not “invasive”. Hilarious that white people are so rabidly anti predator and anti native.
I will vote for anything that further restricts fishing and hunting rights in this state because their crying sustain my empty soul.

Soooo.... you hunt human emotion for sport?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Fallom posted:

That’s true but there are options to ethically source meat without personally experiencing the thrill of the kill.

So meat’s okay as long as you don’t personally harvest and process the animal/carcass?

That’s a hell of an ivory tower take.

Guess I’m not allowed to eat these ducks I raised

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Obviously you just love to watch things die.

Fallom posted:

I haven’t met many subsistence hunters since moving out of the mountains, just guys who act like they’re describing wildlife photography trips where they get to do a kill at the end.

Which is completely different than your initial description of a sadistic rear end in a top hat.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Fallom posted:

I like eating meat and I need to eat a disturbing amount of it to sustain my daily activities. I like shooting and I'm decent at it. Tags, gas and other incidentals, and the time it takes to hunt and butcher out deer is really loving cheap.

Do you save up your breathless strawmanning for special occasions, or is this like a normal day for you?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah I am kind of in the same camp. I think more people should be forced to kill what they eat because I feel like the more detached you get from the violence inherent in our omnivore diet, the easier it is to ignore needless suffering of animals. If you had to look your dinner in the eye before you took it's life, would you eat as much steak?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I would but then again my family raised beef cows when I was a kid. Named em all too. Granted we usually only had 4-5 max at a time. From what I was told when I was 1-2 Julie used to be so afraid of stepping on me when i would explore the cowpens in the barn she would keep her head down and keep nudging me out of the way with her nose.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Same with the Washington hunting fb pages. There's a couple pages a day bitching about wolves being reintroduced to the area and any video of predators taking down a bull elk are 20 chucklefucks going "shoot it! Why are you just filming!?"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

So meat’s okay as long as you don’t personally harvest and process the animal/carcass?

That’s a hell of an ivory tower take.

Guess I’m not allowed to eat these ducks I raised

Raising livestock isn’t hunting. I think hunting is one thing if you need to do it to provide for yourself and others but if you see it primarily as a leisure activity of being outdoors and tracking an animal then the only difference between that and photography is the part where you kill the animal so it shouldn’t be hard to admit you like the killing.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 10, 2019

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Stravag posted:

I would but then again my family raised beef cows when I was a kid. Named em all too. Granted we usually only had 4-5 max at a time. From what I was told when I was 1-2 Julie used to be so afraid of stepping on me when i would explore the cowpens in the barn she would keep her head down and keep nudging me out of the way with her nose.

My dad raises a smallish herd and the ones destined for slaughter are always Steak 1, Steak 2, etc lol

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Do you save up your breathless strawmanning for special occasions, or is this like a normal day for you?

The latter, it's their schtick.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

joat mon posted:

The latter, it's their schtick.

It’s my schtick? I don’t post about this stuff a lot but it’s not a take I’m prepared to argue into the ground so I’ll let it drop.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 10, 2019

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Holy gently caress imagine being one of those black cops having to protect those shitstains. I know the caption said Nazis in uniform but I wasn't expecting liike, full-size swastika flags waving around :stare:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

LingcodKilla posted:

Most folks in Western Washington are from another state, so it checks out. (Those that aren't tend to be lovely nativists and racist to boot)

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

The tribes were apparently willing to stop fishing for a while to help with salmon population but the commercial sportfishermen wouldn’t bite so the tribes went “oh well” and now it’s what it is.

Between that and the dams on the Snake and other issues I think the southern residents will be gone in the too-near future.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I'll willing to wager that as legitimate reasons to hunt disappear, that weakens the arguments that 2a people have too.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Fallom posted:

lmao there is essentially no such thing as ethically sourced meat in the US. There is little to none regulation on it for marketing and if they do enough volume to get sold in grocery stores then they are cutting corners somewhere.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Holy gently caress imagine being one of those black cops having to protect those shitstains. I know the caption said Nazis in uniform but I wasn't expecting liike, full-size swastika flags waving around :stare:

cops have the most powerful union but they never just refuse to defend nazis despite being literally under no legal obligation to defend anyone. gently caress 'em.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lmao there is essentially no such thing as ethically sourced meat in the US. There is little to none regulation on it for marketing and if they do enough volume to get sold in grocery stores then they are cutting corners somewhere.

Yeah you’re right and the closest the average person can probably get is to have some dude on their work bulletin board offering cow quarters.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

cops have the most powerful union but they never just refuse to defend nazis despite being literally under no legal obligation to defend anyone. gently caress 'em.

ACLU would disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Smiling Jack posted:

ACLU would disagree

I think most everyone but cops and judges disagree.