Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

Sorry I don't remember but did you get a PPI?

e: drat I post a lot

They agreed to one (and for them to pay for it if I gave a $5k deposit and agreed to cover part of the costs if I didn't purchase, which is fair), but it would have required transporting the car to Toronto and I didn't want to wait that long. I let them talk me into not doing one because of the low mileage and their insistence that they had gone over everything. I think they feel bad for talking me out of it because I'm sure it would have uncovered this stuff, and that's why they're going so far to make sure I'm happy. As long as it gets done, I guess. :sigh:

Sorry, I'll shut up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

“My Aston? Oh you wouldn’t know her, she’s going to the shop a few states over. What? No, she’s totally real!”

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is the Aston you bought the one that was already in 2 wrecks?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

Is the Aston you bought the one that was already in 2 wrecks?

Yes. Both were low speed and paint repair only. I have the repair invoices and the insurance was through Chubb. There's... a reason it was so cheap. Look, I didn't say I make good life choices.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Test drove a '16 GTI this weekend and it was good. Plenty fast and a hoot around the corners. The dealer let me take it out alone... I actually made myself slightly motion sick.

Still want to test a new(er) Si and am considering trying out a ~5 year old IS 350.

I did drive a '16 330i a couple weeks back and, while also good, it didn't feel like much "more car" than the GTI and it would be significantly more expensive to buy and probably also maintain.

Sits on Pilster fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 10, 2019

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

Sorry, I'll shut up now.

The thread was getting too interesting!! Fly away quickly!

Sits on Pilster posted:

Test drove a '16 GTI this weekend and it was good. Plenty fast and a hoot around the corners. The dealer let me take it out alone... I actually made myself slightly motion sick.

Still want to test a new(er) Si and am considering trying out a ~5 year old IS 350.

I did drive a '16 330i a couple weeks back and, while also good, it didn't feel like much "more car" than the GTI and it would be significantly more expensive to buy and probably also maintain.

drat, never gotten a dealer to agree to a solo test drive. Any special trick there or you just asked? Salesperson in the car is a downer and drain on the actual 'test' part of the test drive.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 10, 2019

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
Caught him at the end of the shift around 8 pm but it was a surprise for me too.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Everyone I see in AI that has a GTI or a Golf R bitches about how boring they are to own or lease and seem to spend their entire ownership looking for cars that would be “more car/interesting” and completely worse to own.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ThirstyBuck posted:

Everyone I see in AI that has a GTI or a Golf R bitches about how boring they are to own or lease and seem to spend their entire ownership looking for cars that would be “more car/interesting” and completely worse to own.

I’ve had a mk7 GTI for about 2.5 years now. It’s a very good car if you only want or can have 1 car. It’s refined enough to be a solid DD, it’s capable enough to do stuff with - I have a hitch on mine and the hatch gives you a lot of room for activities. It’s also very fun when you want it to be. I have a JB1 on it and PSS and it’s quite the rocket.

I would say it doesn’t have that je nais sais quoi like a Miata/s2k/m coupe/etc gives you. If you can’t live with one of those types of cars daily and you can’t or don’t want two cars, the GTI is a perfectly fine choice.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’ve had a mk7 GTI for about 2.5 years now....

I drive a 20+ year old M3 and a similar vintage Tacoma. My commute is 3 miles. I had a MKIV Golf for years and was unceasingly amazed by the quantity of stuff you can pack in a small hatch.

When the time comes I will happily dump both of my rides and replace them with a newish GTI/R/Alltrack + an APR tune (or better an E63).

I think they’re great cars; my comment was more for those that don’t like them to offer why beyond a vague “it’s boring.”

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The only reason I didn't get a new GTI is because I had been driving one for twelve years and wanted something different. Nice interior, good enough drive for a commuter, tons of space, and you can get it in a manual with most (all?) the options.

I like my 3 series just fine, but am already thinking about getting a fun second car. I didn't have that urge with the GTI.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I’ve always liked the look of the GTI a lot. The discussion above made me think a Focus or Focus ST was the right choice, but I gather that they are even less reliable and have less cargo volume than the GTI.

I’m envisioning a GTI with a hitch to mount a bike rack and also a roof rack for a roof-mounted kayak or cargo carrier and it looks pretty neat. And much more enjoyable to drive around on daily errands/commute than a CUV with CVT...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Something Offal posted:

drat, never gotten a dealer to agree to a solo test drive. Any special trick there or you just asked? Salesperson in the car is a downer and drain on the actual 'test' part of the test drive.

A few years ago I showed up at a local dealership to look at a brand new Dodge Challenger R/T, manual transmission The only one they had was the one in the showroom. The salesman backed the car out through the big doors, threw me the keys and said 'don't wreck it.' Their trust in me was the main reason I went back several months later and bought one from them.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
This is probably straightforward to everyone else, but I'm not a car guy, and have not even looked in 10 years.

Right now I have a 2011 Ford Taurus. It may be on its last legs, however, and frankly, I might just want to upgrade anyway (I'm having it in to repair some problem with the power steering system, and do not want to start down the cycle of repairs on a $4,000 residual value car).

I actually bought this thing when I was married, with two kids. When I thought I needed a family car. Well, I'm divorced, and the kids are graduated. So I don't need a sedan. I do not necessarily have a problem with space or a bigger car, but if I'm going to take the gas mileage hit, I'd at least like it to be usable space. Basically, I'm kind of mentally deciding between just getting a smaller car (even though I have no idea what that would be) that is more fuel efficient or some type of vehicle (crossover?) that I could throw a kayak or bicycle in the back and go to parks and lakes.

In other words, if I keep the same gas mileage as a Taurus, I want the vehicle to actually fit my current life (single, no kids to drive around, so I do not need roomy rear passenger comfort), such that the added space is useful, and not just empty big rear seating.

(I do not want a truck or full sized SUV like a Suburban or something. I don't need to get just 16 miles per gallon.)

I do not want to spend a lot. I know I'm not going to get a decent car for $5,000 anymore, but I also don't want to spend $50,000 on this thing. I'm hoping for something in the $20-25,000 range. I would consider going a little higher if it was totally absolutely awesome and worth it, and would prefer something lower. I would consider either new or used - whatever could give me the most bang for my buck. Recognize that I'm not a car person, so if I'm buying used, I'm not going to discover flaws or problems with the car (I would be willing to take it for a quick mechanic's inspection before buying, but that would be about all I could do). It would have to be something pretty reliable.

So with that being said, and to show that I actually read the OP and main thread on car suggestions, here we go:

Proposed Budget: New or Used: $20-25,000. Some flexibility here. Would prefer to keep to $20,000 side or lower, but could go higher than $25,000 if there was some best in class that was truly a significant value above comparable vehicles.

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) I can more rule out what I don't want. No compact (I'm 6'2" and can use a little space), no truck. Don't need a sedan. Probably not a full SUV.

How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? I live in a hard winter area, so all-wheel drive is almost a necessity. Unlikely to tow anything major (no giant boat or trailer or anything - if I even had a hitch on there it would be for something like a bicycle rack or small towing trailer like a U-Haul). Would primarily just be driving me, maybe one other person. No super long commute (for the immediate future, perhaps not even daily driving). I would like something where I could throw a bicycle or two or kayak in the back. Not absolutely necessary, but would be nice.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Sure, if it does not cost an appreciable amount more to own or maintain. Otherwise, no, I do not need a luxury name. Like anyone else, I like luxury, but it is not meaningful enough for me to spend tens of thousands over the life of the car.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style): Reliability is important - I don't turn wrenches myself, so I can't have something that always has something going wrong with it. Cost of ownership/maintenance would need to be low (for the former reason as well that I'm not going to be fixing it myself) - no BMWs, Mercedes, or other cars that are notorious for costing $500 minimum just to have someone look at it. I do not care regarding import/domestic - the only reason I would shy away from an import is if it increases the cost to repair (so Toyota, for example, would be fine, but BMW not so much). Size - this is a big factor for me. As you can see earlier in the post, I would like room to throw a kayak or a bicycle or something. But I would also consider just going to something with really good gas mileage. Basically, if I'm getting lower gas mileage (25-30 mpg), I want useful space in exchange - I do not need what I have now, which is lower gas mileage in exchange for empty back seats and a trunk.

If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot: Live in the U.S. I should have mentioned (forgot) - I'm in a very hard winter area, so all-wheel drive would be almost a necessity. I'm not sure a Prius is great here.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 10, 2019

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

You're not getting a kayak in a sedan so if that's a serious concern (and you should evaluate if it is, most people are fine with a sedan which is more fun) then you'll need a real crossover or SUV. Look at the CR-V or RAV4, though they bore me they are probably a fit for you.

On your list should also be a Mazda CX-5, it's in the same class and a little better in every way. That would probably be my #1 recommendation for you, go check a new one out.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 10, 2019

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Something Offal posted:

You're not getting a kayak in a sedan so if that's a serious concern (and you should evaluate if it is, most people are fine with a sedan which is more fun) then you'll need a real crossover or SUV. Look at the CR-V or RAV4, though they bore me they are probably a fit for you.

On your list should also be a Mazda CX-5, it's in the same class and a little better in every way. That would probably be my #1 recommendation for you, go check a new one out.

I don't know how serious a concern the kayak is. My point is that if I'm going to get lovely gas mileage, I want a reason for it. Not a giant row of back seats that will always be empty. I'm not looking for a sedan.

So I either want to be able to do something like throw a bicycle or kayak in the back to go to a biking trail or a lake, or get better gas mileage. What I don't want is what I have now, which is a sedan that gets 27 MPG, in exchange for which I get a rear row of bench seats that I almost never use.

I want useful space to justify worse gas mileage, or better gas mileage.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 10, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You're not getting a kayak IN anything but I can easily carry a kayak or bicycle on my tiny car on racks.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
Why don't you get the newest Prius $20k gets you and then get a nice aftermarket roof rack system installed?

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
So I'm in an email discussion with a Kia dealership in Virgina (I'm in Colorado) about a Stinger GT they have advertised for under $30k. They are claiming that price includes "local incentives' and for me, as a CO resident, it'd be $3k higher. Seems like BS but I also don't have a leg to stand on.

Are incentives based on the buyer's residency or the location of the selling dealer? Suppose it depends on whether it's a factory incentive or not but thought I'd ask.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

shovelbum posted:

You're not getting a kayak IN anything but I can easily carry a kayak or bicycle on my tiny car on racks.

Sits on Pilster posted:

Why don't you get the newest Prius $20k gets you and then get a nice aftermarket roof rack system installed?

This may be a good idea. I may need to reconsider the kayak thing. Not sure I want a Prius, but that's the general idea. Basically, I don't want a sedan any more. I don't want a tiny compact car, but I don't need a Ford Taurus. The space is useless to me, because it's all passenger seating.

EDIT: I should have mentioned (forgot) - I'm in a very hard winter area, so ability to drive in snow and ice is almost a necessity. I'm not sure a Prius is great here, from hearing friends complain. I know people say a lot of people who think they need AWD when they really need snow tires, but friends here who have AWD have noticed a huge difference (and they're not all idiots who don't use snow tires).

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 10, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is this in the DC area? All of the dealers there are notorious for this poo poo, often not including freight in the quoted price and other assorted tactics to advertise a lower number that nobody would qualify for.

When I bought my GTI they had incentives factored into the price that wound up being impossible to qualify for together. Something like owner loyalty and college grad first car purchase or some poo poo.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
Yeah I'm already wary about the impossible stacking issue, which is why I'm asking them for a firm quotation. The location part caught me a bit off guard.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

This may be a good idea. I may need to reconsider the kayak thing. Not sure I want a Prius, but that's the general idea. Basically, I don't want a sedan any more. I don't want a tiny compact car, but I don't need a Ford Taurus. The space is useless to me, because it's all passenger seating.

EDIT: I should have mentioned (forgot) - I'm in a very hard winter area, so all-wheel drive would be almost a necessity. I'm not sure a Prius is great here.

A brand new AWD Prius has an MSRP of just over $26k. That being said, I've driven my Prius on good all season tires over Vail pass during snow storms and it's fine. Winter tires would address any issue you have.

If you don't want a Prius because it's a Prius, fine. I'm in the same boat. But maybe address that directly. It sounds like you're pretty set on a small or midsized crossover and I think someone's already suggested a couple.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you hate gas mileage just get a 4runner

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sits on Pilster posted:

Yeah I'm already wary about the impossible stacking issue, which is why I'm asking them for a firm quotation. The location part caught me a bit off guard.
Just ask for out the door price. They have a price that they willing to sell the car for, anything else is an empty conversation. Incentives is come from places like manufacturer, local government, Federal government, or the dealership itself. You can ask for a list.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Just ask for out the door price. They have a price that they willing to sell the car for, anything else is an empty conversation. Incentives is come from places like manufacturer, local government, Federal government, or the dealership itself. You can ask for a list.

Ask for it in writing, but again I can’t stress enough that the DC area dealers are shady as gently caress and I would not be surprised in the slightest if their price changed once you show up.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
Yeah they basically just told me they wouldn't give me anything unless I show up, which of course means I won't show up

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SlyFrog posted:

If it were me, I'd wait for the new Mazda 3 with the Skyactive engine to come out. It's supposed to have amazing fuel economy, should be decently fun to drive, and you'd be able to fit a bike (with the tires off, probably) in the hatch.

Or look at some of the smaller Kia and Hyundai offerings. The Elantra GT seems cool, I have a soft spot for the Soul.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

EDIT: I should have mentioned (forgot) - I'm in a very hard winter area, so ability to drive in snow and ice is almost a necessity. I'm not sure a Prius is great here, from hearing friends complain. I know people say a lot of people who think they need AWD when they really need snow tires, but friends here who have AWD have noticed a huge difference (and they're not all idiots who don't use snow tires).

Get a Honda Element AWD if you want maximum cargo space

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
what about a 2013-2015 Toyota Highlander AWD?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Get a Honda Element AWD if you want maximum cargo space

Are these still viable, they're old as gently caress now, and don't they command a huge premium bc there's no real comparable car on the market?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

shovelbum posted:

Are these still viable, they're old as gently caress now, and don't they command a huge premium bc there's no real comparable car on the market?

Yeah, would have been a solid recommendation 5 years ago, nowadays they're antiques. They also got surprisingly bad fuel economy (~20mpg combined) even compared to the contemporary CRV that it was based on. Nowadays you're better off with a regular minivan or possibly some kind of crew cab truck if you are really going to be transporting dirty wet cargo.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I mean it seems like something people want considering FJs sell for more than they did new and people snap up Subarus even though they guzzle oil and need the engine pulled to do anything.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

I’m envisioning a GTI with a hitch to mount a bike rack and also a roof rack for a roof-mounted kayak or cargo carrier and it looks pretty neat. And much more enjoyable to drive around on daily errands/commute than a CUV with CVT...

Not a GTI, but you get the point. They're a great daily.

On that note, I'm currently leasing a GTI. I had planned on buying out the lease but the car was wrecked a month after I bought it and ended up getting $22k in work done and needless to say I'm not keeping it. I'd been shopping Golf R's and Focus RS's since I live in Colorado and do mountain things in winter. However, I've decided I'm not going to stay here for a multitude of reasons. It will be a bit before I can get out, but I'm shopping much less practical vehicles. I've more or less settled on a used f8x M3/4. You can find the M4 with 30k or so miles for $40-45k and the M3 in similar condition for $43k and up. I prefer the M3 but there are several M4's that interest me and they can be had much cheaper. I'll be financing the majority of the purchase. Yes, I know how sound of a financial decision it is to finance an off warranty BMW M car. Having said that, I can't get an M2 Competition out of my mind. They're obviously way more expensive, but BMW is offering 2.99% on them while I'd probably be paying in the realm of 5% on a used M3/4. It's also going to have a warranty that will be nonexistent or ending on the other cars. If I put somewhere around $10k down on one the payments wouldn't be far off from what I was planning on throwing at the M3/4. How loving stupid am I for even considering this?

Related to the picture above, one big thing that goes in favor of the M2C is that you can put a roof rack on it. On an M3/4 with the carbon roof you have to drill holes in the roof to get to the factory mounting points or get one with a moonroof to use crossbars. Not a massive issue for bikes since there are hitch mounts for it but it complicates things with the kayak.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d 1,000% have a small trailer for kayaks than trying to heave them up on the roof, especially if you’re doing it solo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fknlo posted:

Yes, I know how sound of a financial decision it is to finance an off warranty BMW M car. Having said that, I can't get an M2 Competition out of my mind. They're obviously way more expensive, but BMW is offering 2.99% on them while I'd probably be paying in the realm of 5% on a used M3/4. It's also going to have a warranty that will be nonexistent or ending on the other cars. If I put somewhere around $10k down on one the payments wouldn't be far off from what I was planning on throwing at the M3/4. How loving stupid am I for even considering this?

It depends on your income, current debts, their interest rates and the monthly debt service.

Sorry, this is partially a BFC thread.

But based on your post is sounds like your stretching way too far.

If you come back with "the only debt I have is a mortgage and I'm trying to structure my cashflow based on investments/vesting schedules/etc" then carry on.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

It depends on your income, current debts, their interest rates and the monthly debt service.

Sorry, this is partially a BFC thread.

But based on your post is sounds like your stretching way too far.

If you come back with "the only debt I have is a mortgage and I'm trying to structure my cashflow based on investments/vesting schedules/etc" then carry on.

I make around $150k a year. My only debts are car and rent. I'm renting because I'm not going to stay here because the cost of living is dumb. I was paying around a grand a month between 2 cars for a couple years without issue. I'd love to not be doing that any more but I'm single with no kids and like buying dumb poo poo. I'll hopefully come full circle and end up just paying $20k for something boring, but I'm not gonna count on that happening.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fknlo posted:

I make around $150k a year. My only debts are car and rent. I'm renting because I'm not going to stay here because the cost of living is dumb. I was paying around a grand a month between 2 cars for a couple years without issue. I'd love to not be doing that any more but I'm single with no kids and like buying dumb poo poo. I'll hopefully come full circle and end up just paying $20k for something boring, but I'm not gonna count on that happening.

I'm still not hearing why do you need to finance this. Sounds like $60k is an achievable goal for you.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I'm still not hearing why do you need to finance this. Sounds like $60k is an achievable goal for you.

I could almost go pay cash for an M2C tomorrow. I like having money on hand for emergencies, impulse purchases, etc... though. I'll also likely be buying a house when I eventually get back to KC, so not blowing my load on a car so I can make most of a 20% down payment without taking a loan out of my TSP is also a consideration for me. Don't worry, I know I should be doing things like investing my money and whatnot, but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fknlo posted:

impulse purchases

And this isn't one of those?