Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They continue to bring the facts.

https://twitter.com/Izandra/status/1138225793354457088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

lmao I wanted to think this person was a child but his profile says he was born in '94. :ughh:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Weebs gonna weeb

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

mallratcal posted:

lmao I wanted to think this person was a child but his profile says he was born in '94. :ughh:

Legally he might be an adult, but let's be honest, that's just an overgrown child.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Funny, when I think of white people who get a tattoo written in Japanese that they think says "honour" but really means "pigfucker" I think of some meathead, but this guy has just replaced that image.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fifth time is the charm.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1138441412754780160

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just like how creative she is with her twitter handles.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Remember how that comedian did an exposé on Richard Meyer and he almost immediately disappeared into thin air

Someone do that to evs tia

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think this person is mistaking the Yakuza video game franchise for reality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Remember how that comedian did an exposé on Richard Meyer and he almost immediately disappeared into thin air

Someone do that to evs tia

People been tryin'

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think this person is mistaking the Yakuza video game franchise for reality.

ダメだねダメよダメなのよ

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

People been tryin'

I wonder what might finally do it. The chuds finally running out of money? (Probably not.) He gets caught in a Mundane Matt situation where everybody turns on him for Reasons?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder what might finally do it. The chuds finally running out of money? (Probably not.) He gets caught in a Mundane Matt situation where everybody turns on him for Reasons?

I think he will eventually run the well dry but he'll find some publisher willing to hire him.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Dawgstar posted:

What is his deal, I have a friend that listens to him, and I'm hearing some worrying comments from him. Like my friend isn't alt-right or Gamergate, but loving hates Sarkeesian.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anora posted:

What is his deal, I have a friend that listens to him, and I'm hearing some worrying comments from him. Like my friend isn't alt-right or Gamergate, but loving hates Sarkeesian.

Your friend is alt-right and Gamergate.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Your friend is alt-right and Gamergate.

Or if they aren't, they will be in short order.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Anora posted:

my friend isn't alt-right or Gamergate,

quote:

but loving hates Sarkeesian.

i have some bad news

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's a lot of valid criticism to give some of Sarkeesian's lameass Feminism 101-esque takes but anyone who still "hates" her in 2019 is probably a shithead yeah

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
What does your friend hate about Sarkeesian? That might be a place to intervene in the conversation. A lot of alt-right movements start by presenting a reasonable sounding gripe with a progressive writer or position using misleading or false evidence, and then building off of that.

I had a very brilliant, kind room-mate a few years ago who chimed in on a conversation about Sarkeesian's videos with some snarky and not-very-correct sounding stuff, and it turns out he'd sort of happened to run up against the margins of some proto-gamer gate stuff in his various online perambulations. We talked to him a lot about it and eventually he backed way, way away from that rhetoric, but for him, as with others, the initial wedge was the "ethics in gaming journalism thing," with the sexism and racism hidden under a semblance of concern about the industry.

I think I differ from the general tenor of this thread sometimes in thinking that in many cases you can talk people out of lovely beliefs, or rather, help them talk themselves out of it. There's a reason why the various -gates and broader alt right movements don't lead with their most shockingly regressive elements but rather prey on peoples' desires to belong and on their often undeveloped critical thinking skills, which, you know, is the American school system's fault as much as anything. I've had a good amount of students who come to college steeped in online sophistry and Jordan Peterson horseshit, and often just exposing them to other ideas and guiding them to other ways of thinking about stuff is enough to clear their heads.

I do believe though that the deeper someone is in stuff like this, the harder it is to get them out. I think there are a lot of lines that, once, crossed, can be un-crossed, but just like 19th century "primitive rebellion" groups, loyalty is built up in incremental rituals (epistemological or otherwise) of renouncing or forsaken previously held norms. These movements burn bridges by design. They want a person's friends and loved ones to have a difficult time getting the person they used to know back.

I wish you success and luck with your friend, and I hope you can have a really frank and direct talk with them about the slope they're on. Maybe they have valid gripes about Sarkeesian, maybe not, but in 2019, as stated above, it's a pretty loud dog-whistle.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, your original question was about Mundane Matt. IIRC Mundane Matt was/is a youtube blogger and a prominent early adopter of GameGate stuff. He's a good example of what I was talking about, and that sort of slippery positioning of the goalposts, because as I remember his whole deal was a slimy sort of "well, I'm the voice of reason situated between the radical right and the loony left." Except, well, his "loony left" constituted a series of broad and unfair caricatures of progressive positions, and his "radical right" was basically a cartoon version of the KKK. So in effect, his "rational middle" was in relation to actual discourse, quite far to the right, but by reframing the terms of the debate in tricky and disingenuous ways, he managed to gull a lot of people into thinking he was just talking sense.

For example, just poking around google to double check some stuff, you can find people (correctly) identifying him as right-wing or right-wing sympathetic for a host of reasons, and the occasional defender saying "well, he also talks poo poo about Trump," or "well, he also supports 'liberal causes' like legalizing weed." And maybe right- and left- wing are not the most useful terms here, because what's salient, and what makes him align so neatly and so insidiously with the fringes of reaction, is an aggressive hostility towards identity politics, and an aggressive hostility to any sort of industry representation outside of straight white men. He may file the serial numbers off of some of his politics, but they are, fundamentally, predicated on gussied up and faintly sanitized faith in white supremacy and misogyny.

So yeah if your friend is watching his poo poo (which is quite weird to begin with because I think he was basically disowned by the alt-right for faking up drama or something) and buying into it you should really sit down and talk with them.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 12, 2019

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It's a complicated position, he doesn't share many view points, like he doesn't mind women and minorities in games. But I think he's been poisoned on Anita (from listening to Matt), as the correct response to anything related to her at this should be a mix "who," to "oh that lady the chuds hate." He also is pretty easy to pull off of right leaning stuff, I've gotten him on Shaun and he loves Hbomberguy videos though, except the CAD one, mostly cause I think it hits him close to home, Contrapoints seems a bit to far for him, though he does tend to agree with her, and has nothing against Trans people.

Also, we live in Kansas, so that's still super left out here.

Anora fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 11, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Remember that YouTube deliberately guides you towards more extreme videos as you watch, so yeah, nip that in the bud if you can.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Try him on this one, maybe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKaiq1rnSMw

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

EDIT: Oh, sorry, your original question was about Mundane Matt. IIRC Mundane Matt was/is a youtube blogger and a prominent early adopter of GameGate stuff. He's a good example of what I was talking about, and that sort of slippery positioning of the goalposts, because as I remember his whole deal was a slimy sort of "well, I'm the voice of reason situated between the radical right and the loony left." Except, well, his "loony left" constituted a series of broad and unfair caricatures of progressive positions, and his "radical right" was basically a cartoon version of the KKK. So in effect, his "rational middle" was in relation to actual discourse, quite far to the right, but by reframing the terms of the debate in tricky and disingenuous ways, he managed to gull a lot of people into thinking he was just talking sense.

Yeah, there was nothing especially charismatic or even interesting about Matt, he just got on the train early. What was hilarious was he just got caught out for pulling the stuff they all claim the eponymous left does to them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Double post: This is from Vic's law firm.

https://twitter.com/BHBHLaw/status/1138464352699396097

Whomp whomp sound effect.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Something something horses and barn doors

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also they didn't name any documents that were fake and the people who have been posting documents show that they were recieved from the real email address. It's just a fake thing they pretend is happening to try to avoid being owned.

https://twitter.com/Dominique_Skye/status/1138488770481807367?s=20

Piell fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 11, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ty Beard is not actually Ty Beard?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is really just the gift that keeps on giving.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Piell posted:

Also they didn't name any documents that were fake and the people who have been posting documents show that they were recieved from the real email address. It's just a fake thing they pretend is happening to tey to avoid being owned.

It's the legal version of this:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dawgstar posted:

Double post: This is from Vic's law firm.

https://twitter.com/BHBHLaw/status/1138464352699396097

Whomp whomp sound effect.

Flawless track covering.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Definitely don't email them lots of Goatses.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Skwirl posted:

This is really just the grift that keeps on giving.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm still trying to work out the economics of a society where everyone belongs to the mob.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm still trying to work out the economics of a society where everyone belongs to the mob.

It's just like Japan except they eat spaghetti instead of ramen.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm actually pretty curious if anyone ever made a -cracy term for a government run by organized crime. You know, like a plutocracy is a government run by the rich. That kind of term

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
kleptocracy

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

site posted:

kleptocracy

I get why it's called that way, but it's strangely disappointing.

Still, good to keep in mind.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There's the related concept of the "Mafia state" which is specifically when the upper echelons of government are cozy with or isometric with organized crime. Kleptocracy is broad and flexible as a term, and can also cover, you know, damning situations emerging out of the conditions of imperialism that don't quite describe the exact same thing-- rentier states, Raubirtschwaft, or British and Belgian plunder paradigms.

I think there is a semantic gap to be filled though, bc off the top of my head I can't think of a proper word for the system enacted by 19th century century Sicilian mafia, rackets and political "machines" as they often operated in the 19th/early 20th c. US or Edo-era proto-yazuka tekiya and bakuto bodies, in which, like, nominally criminal or illegal organized bodies would fill in social and infrastructural gaps in areas where official government power was weak or diffuse. In other words, organized crime working almost as a pseudo-"legitimized" ad hoc government where the "real" government fails to fulfill its obligations. If there's a term for that I'd love to hear it, I've been rereading a bunch of Eric Hobsbawm lately and thinking about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can’t really have a mafia state as they are completely defined by their relationship to the state.

It’s not like pirate states whose relationship was defined by foreign crime

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 12, 2019