Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Chicken katsu is not the pinnacle of Japanese cuisine but it's pretty damned tasty if done right.

Hell any fried chicken is pretty damned tasty if done right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I also once had "tantanmen" in Edinburgh. It had a soup that vaguely tasted like tantanmen but only because someone dumped ajinomoto in it. The spicy minced meat typical of tantanmen was replaced with... Bland pieces of boiled chicken. They then dumped cucumbers on top. Most people I talked to insisted that it was the best ramen in Edinburgh.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Great, now go try haggis in China.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Most people I talked to insisted that it was the best ramen in Edinburgh.

that doesn't sound like a particularly tall bar to clear to be honest.

lol sale on Banksy art where was that particular brand of chum thrown in the water?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What Japan did to dan dan mian is pretty gross yeah.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm not a "foodie" and don't really like spending tons of money on food when I go to Japan, and never plan out where I'm going to eat. If I'm hungry I'll just pop into somewhere serving some of these basic-rear end things that looks corporate enough to have an english menu/willingness to deal with foreign devil:

- Katsu curry (not into CoCo though unless I'm desperate)
- Those ten don/zaru soba set meals
- Okonomiyaki and/or yakisoba
- Ramen
- Gyoza (and other stuff at those "chinese" chain places)
- Gyudon (Matsuya is like my default "idk where to eat let's get it over with" place)

Sure if I'm with people and they want to do some special dining experience or show me a hole in the wall they love I'll go and enjoy it but when I'm by myself I almost never want to put in the mental energy to find the ultra special food. All the stuff I listed seems to be delicious no matter where you go, and it's all pretty cheap and all serve beer. I'm also constantly consuming combini daifuku mochi for some reason

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

d0s posted:

- Katsu curry (not into CoCo though unless I'm desperate)
- Those ten don/zaru soba set meals
- Okonomiyaki and/or yakisoba
- Ramen
- Gyoza (and other stuff at those "chinese" chain places)
- Gyudon (Matsuya is like my default "idk where to eat let's get it over with" place)

Welcome to Japan, your name is Taro.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Stringent posted:

I know right

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd eat any of that right now tbh

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

What Japan did to dan dan mian is pretty gross yeah.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not gonna lie, I was kinda excited to try chuuka and then it turns out that I...woulda kinda rather just get some Sichuanese instead.

Ringer Hut is pretty legit though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ate at a lot of mom and pop shops but I also ate at a ton of restaurants in places like Yodobashi and Takashimaya which is probably like going to the mall to get dinner. Everything was still amazing.

Still haven’t eaten a gizzard though. Gotta save something for next time!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Takashimaya is not your typical mall food though

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

Takashimaya is not your typical mall food though

It's my typical mall food tho.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tokyu Food Show was pretty baller.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Straight up can't wait for climate change to get rid of 梅雨.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
tokyu is worse than takashimaya and isetan and mitsukoshi

tsuyu is gonna get replaced by more august summer heat

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Tsuyu was very short last year, but we had the hottest August ever and then it rained straight through September, so wish granted I guess.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

We already got the climate change over here and it's been raining for... four months straight? Five? I can't even remember anymore.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be in Maine this summer and I'm sure it's going to rain a few times while I am there and I can not freakin' wait

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ntan1 posted:

tokyu is worse than takashimaya and isetan and mitsukoshi

I will absolutely hit up other suggestions if I ever go back.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Straight up can't wait for climate change to get rid of 梅雨.

It won’t be eliminated, it’s just it’ll happen the week after cherry blossoms instead.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Being as tragically British as I am, I really appreciate Japan having solidly good to great curry absolutely everywhere.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Turkish kebab touts in Ameya-Yokochō are hilarious and crafty. First, they try to get you to eat their kebab and convince you that the other 4-5 kebab adjacent stands are inferior to theirs.
If you try their kebab, and happen to walk past a competitor's kebab, they tell you that you made a mistake. They'll say their kebab is the best kebab. They taught all the other stands how to make their kebab, and that you must return to try their own special kebab. Even while you're currently eating their kebab, they tell you that you ordered wrong and should've tried something else on their menu.

tldr; all the kebabs are equally good

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

All the kebab places in Tokyo are apparently run by a single family

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

That post and the one before it doesn't jive, why would they even bother competing

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Ok booked my group's Airbnbs for our upcoming November trip.

Nov 3-7: Tokyo
Nov 7-11: Kyoto
Nov 11-13: Some ryokan, haven't booked this one yet
Nov 13-17: Tokyo

We'll have an active Japan Rail Pass from November 7 to 13. Wanted it active during our ryokan stay so we can book a ryokan anywhere between Kyoto and Tokyo. Anyone got some good ones to recommend?

We're a group of 6, and looking to get three rooms.

EDIT: Also holy poo poo airbnbs are a great value when traveling as a group. Worked out to under $60/night per person after taxes and fees.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

zmcnulty posted:

That post and the one before it doesn't jive, why would they even bother competing

Just lol if you don't compete more fiercely with your own family members than anyone else in the world.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
As is always the case with people asking about ryokans in between Tokyo and Kyoto:

Good ryokans are out of the way, and there are very few good onsen sources in between Tokyo and Kyoto along the Shinkansen.

With six people you want a maximum of two rooms in a Ryokan. If it's all friends I'd even consider getting one very very large room.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Good Parmesan posted:

Turkish kebab touts in Ameya-Yokochō are hilarious and crafty. First, they try to get you to eat their kebab and convince you that the other 4-5 kebab adjacent stands are inferior to theirs.
If you try their kebab, and happen to walk past a competitor's kebab, they tell you that you made a mistake. They'll say their kebab is the best kebab. They taught all the other stands how to make their kebab, and that you must return to try their own special kebab. Even while you're currently eating their kebab, they tell you that you ordered wrong and should've tried something else on their menu.

tldr; all the kebabs are equally good

reminds me of all the halal carts that replaced hot dog/sausage stands in NYC and how they all claim to be the original and everyone else was former employees who broke off or whatever. in fact: all of them suck and give me explosive diarrhea equally, bring back sausages on every corner

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

ntan1 posted:

As is always the case with people asking about ryokans in between Tokyo and Kyoto:

Good ryokans are out of the way, and there are very few good onsen sources in between Tokyo and Kyoto along the Shinkansen.

With six people you want a maximum of two rooms in a Ryokan. If it's all friends I'd even consider getting one very very large room.

Ah, don't get me wrong. We're willing to go a bit out of the way. I'm looking at this one right now for example:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/awaji-yumesenkei.html

Which is a 90 minute bus ride from Kobe. Something like that is fine.

And the reason we want 3 rooms is that we're traveling with two couples, and I wanna give them some private time. We're willing to pay a bit more.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

arisu posted:

EDIT: Also holy poo poo airbnbs are a great value when traveling as a group. Worked out to under $60/night per person after taxes and fees.

During off peak seasons you each can get a separate room at a business hotel for ~$60. Even cheaper if you share a room per 2 people. Though I guess you kind of are in the middle of kouyo season.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Zettace posted:

During off peak seasons you each can get a separate room at a business hotel for ~$60. Even cheaper if you share a room per 2 people. Though I guess you kind of are in the middle of kouyo season.

Japan likes to charge per person, not per room. And at a similar price the AirBNB is going to be more spacious and have more amenities.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Airbnb are somehow still quite good despite the licensing requirements from June 2018 making it markedly more of a pain in the butt to run than before. Numbers of available places have crept back up to where they were before, too, so there should be decent availability/price competition now as well.

arisu posted:

And the reason we want 3 rooms is that we're traveling with two couples, and I wanna give them some private time. We're willing to pay a bit more.

lol just lol if you think they're your friends yet cant bang in front of them

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
if anime taught me anything, loving in a futon right next to sleeping friends is a time honored japanese tradition

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

lol just lol if you think they're your friends yet cant bang in front of them

When can I watch you bang

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

When can I watch you bang

I haven't checked, but you can probably watch it here?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Is that even a burn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
In all seriousness getting one big Japanese style room for like 6+ friends and bullshitting and playing drinking games until you all pass out drunk is one of the most important time-honored traditions of Japanese culture and it owns.