Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'm kinda surprised how nobody was talking about the soccer world cup, despite the results and the logo being in the front page of the big newssites.

Then I saw the full logo on a larger screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Imagine what names we could get if more bogans were into zoology. :allears:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Hey Reddit, I was hoping to get some advice about a problem I've been having with my SO.

First off, we are both 22 (M & F), finishing our last year of college. We've been together almost 6 months, and I really do adore her, aside from this one kind of weird behavioral trait. We have very similar interests, share many mutual friends, and get along on a day-to-day basis quite well.

The problem is that every few weeks, she gets it into her head that I don't appreciate her enough. I'll think everything is going well, and then out of the blue, she'll accuse me of taking her for granted. I really don't think this is the case, as I go out of my way to compliment her and say "I love you" almost every day.

Anyways, when this happens, she'll demand that we do this "couple-building activity" where she pretends she is dead. She'll light some candles, play "Amazing Grace" (the song they played at my grandfather's funeral a few years back), lay in bed, and cover herself with a sheet. Then I am supposed to kneel down and say some "last words" to her. She gets pissed if I don't cry, sometimes withholding sex as punishment.

I've always known that she has some self-esteem issues, but this seems a little much. I've tried talking to her about it, but she just gets defensive and says that this activity is necessary for me to grow emotionally and our relationship to grow stronger. I really don't know what to do. I don't want to lose her, but I can't keep mourning her death every few weeks.

So tell me Reddit, does this sound like normal behavior? How can I show her that I appreciate her without doing this activity?

tl;dr: My girlfriend doesn't think that I appreciate her enough, so every few weeks she makes us do a couple-building activity where she pretends to be dead while I give her eulogy.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what thhe

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
maybe she's really into death play and doesn't know how to directly broach the subject

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pirate Radar posted:

Hey Reddit, I was hoping to get some advice about a problem I've been having with my SO.

First off, we are both 22 (M & F), finishing our last year of college. We've been together almost 6 months, and I really do adore her, aside from this one kind of weird behavioral trait. We have very similar interests, share many mutual friends, and get along on a day-to-day basis quite well.

The problem is that every few weeks, she gets it into her head that I don't appreciate her enough. I'll think everything is going well, and then out of the blue, she'll accuse me of taking her for granted. I really don't think this is the case, as I go out of my way to compliment her and say "I love you" almost every day.

Anyways, when this happens, she'll demand that we do this "couple-building activity" where she pretends she is dead. She'll light some candles, play "Amazing Grace" (the song they played at my grandfather's funeral a few years back), lay in bed, and cover herself with a sheet. Then I am supposed to kneel down and say some "last words" to her. She gets pissed if I don't cry, sometimes withholding sex as punishment.

I've always known that she has some self-esteem issues, but this seems a little much. I've tried talking to her about it, but she just gets defensive and says that this activity is necessary for me to grow emotionally and our relationship to grow stronger. I really don't know what to do. I don't want to lose her, but I can't keep mourning her death every few weeks.

So tell me Reddit, does this sound like normal behavior? How can I show her that I appreciate her without doing this activity?

tl;dr: My girlfriend doesn't think that I appreciate her enough, so every few weeks she makes us do a couple-building activity where she pretends to be dead while I give her eulogy.

every internet loser wants a big tiddy goth gf but they're not ready for the responsibilities of one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fun fact: it used to be "fift" but people started saying "fifth" because of "fourth". People are weird like that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(I'm reading Barber on the bog.)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

i want to say dating when youre under 25 is a dice game but no thats just dating

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Radar posted:

lmao this rules, the only way it would be better would be if she demanded a full viking send-off

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
in forty years, that guy and their kids and their grandkids and everyone else in the extended family will still be trapped in an endless cycle of semi-frequent fake funerals for grandma and then all their children will have grown up thinking it's normal and it will become a family tradition

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

did you finish the incest show yet

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

Australian politics is not a show.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Berke Negri posted:

i really appreciate the balanced mix of anti-incest and pro-incest messages, it encourages the viewer to make their own judgments

Furnaceface posted:

Australian politics is not a show.
incest is actually something that's been missing from australian politics, we have everything else up to and including a major political journalist who hosed a dog

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

nankeen posted:

in forty years, that guy and their kids and their grandkids and everyone else in the extended family will still be trapped in an endless cycle of semi-frequent fake funerals for grandma and then all their children will have grown up thinking it's normal and it will become a family tradition

yes, yes, we've all had jewish mothers

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i think i might have to drive across the scottish highlands operating only off of a paper map

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/AmbroseLegion/status/1137459897715625986

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

don't know what that is but i'm guessing it is all bad things on screen

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

Imagine for a moment if Randler cloned himself and then formed a fraternal order...

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Berke Negri posted:

White Supremacy group. Imagine Christian Identity with an average BMI below 30 and some stylistic elements like the masks stolen from other movements.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Imagine for a moment if Randler cloned himself and then formed a fraternal order...

you'd need a panoramic camera for that video

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

have you still got that pet owl, sinnlos

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

All the anime fans I know these days are minorities and women

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

All the anime fans I know these days are minorities and women

clearly they're self-hating then

or the minorities hate the women and vice versa, stalin wouldn't lie like that

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
In this species the mating ritual includes the male demonstrating his ability to lift and carry printers.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Owlbert is still around. No big drama in his life as of late, save for the 2 year old eagle in the same territory.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Sit down at a family-style Mexican restaurant in southeastern Virginia, and chances are you will be served a mysterious white sauce unknown in Mexico.

The dipping sauce has no name except “white sauce,” or “salsa blanca,” and it was, by all accounts, invented in Hampton Roads.

It comes free with your basket of tortilla chips, alongside standard tomato salsa, and it is so popular that old-school Mexican American restaurants can live or die by the quality of their version.

“If we walk into a Mexican restaurant and they don’t serve white sauce, we turn around and leave,” says Lee Tolliver, a reporter at The Pilot and a Hampton Roads native.

quote:

Manuel Vasquez serves the white sauce at his restaurant, Costa del Sol, in Windsor. He also served it when he ran a location of local Mexican chain Plaza Azteca in Suffolk. But he’d never encountered it before moving here from New York 15 years ago.

“We can say this is originally from Virginia. Other states don’t have it,” Vasquez says. “Where it came from? Who started making it? A lot of people, including Mexican people, have that question, too. But we make it. We have to have it, because the people come in and ask for white sauce. They need it.”

quote:

In the 1970s in Norfolk, when you went out for Mexican food, you went to El Toro. The restaurant was open in the '60s and became a phenomenon in the '70s, when it was taken over by Willie Jenkins, a large-framed man with dyed red hair and a personality described by former employees as both gruff and generous.

“He didn’t really take any guff. He had a harsh attitude,” says Sharon Mason Barish, who “pretty much grew up at El Toro” when her mother worked there in the 1970s.

quote:

Early on, says Smith-Clifton, no one working at the restaurant actually came from Mexico, but it was the only Mexican food many here knew. The restaurant became famous for its enchilada and red sauces, and its simple take on nachos — just white cheese and jalapenos melted over halved taco shells.

But, especially, El Toro became famous for its white sauce.

quote:

Smith-Clifton believes the sauce predates Jenkins’ time there, to the bar’s original owners. But Barish said Jenkins called it an old family recipe, and kept it like a state secret.

“My mother worked there seven days a week,” Barish says. “They never divulged the recipe to her.”

Barish eventually got the recipe from a family member who worked there. The secret ingredient turned out to be plain-old Miracle Whip salad dressing, mixed with milk, cumin, oregano and crushed red peppers.

“The Miracle Whip came in big jugs,” Smith-Clifton says. “We made up spices in bags like newspapers used to come in when it was raining. We made the spices up, then layered in the spices — that whole bag went into them jugs — then we just stirred and stirred. Then the white sauce had to sit for at least 48 hours. You could eat it right off, but then it wasn’t as spicy as it needed to be.”

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

jesus the least they could do is use dukes

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If the Raptors win do they get out of having to do a White House visit?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Sinnlos posted:

Owlbert is still around. No big drama in his life as of late, save for the 2 year old eagle in the same territory.
i'm so happy you still have him :kimchi: weren't you thinking you'd have to rehome him at some point?

i'm hoping to get into raptor rescue/rehabilitation as soon as i find a wildlife rescue group that's less than 100% lunatics. that includes owls! building an enclosed space that's large enough for owls and eagles to fly around in properly and build their flight muscles up is pretty challenging, financially speaking, but it feels like something that could be combined with an education centre and crowdfunded

e: how did you end up being owlbert's guardian btw? i just realised i don't know

nankeen fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 11, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
in other news i went away for two days and now lest i vanish again i'm not even allowed to go to the toilet without the supervision of a watchful elf

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

there is no god

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Furnaceface posted:

If the Raptors win do they get out of having to do a White House visit?

Trump would still probably make a tweet about the failing NBA before someone explained it to him

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
every time i visit an old person i realise how much i miss photo albums

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
lmao i am going to be arguing about this loving show for decades "yes believe me i appreciate the beautiful set direction but what i don't appreciate is the portrayal of non-white people as either eunuchs or bestial gibbering sex fiends. these are actually two separate issues and one doesn't negate the other"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/kUsT815.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao