Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
There's a great series of old SF novels (the author's name is White and one of the books is called "Sector General"?) about a doctor working at a hospital in the middle of a space opera universe. He gets patients whose biology he doesn't understand, and they may not even be sick, there's cultural hijinks to navigate and hospital bureaucracy to defeat. I recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nonathlon posted:

There's a great series of old SF novels (the author's name is White and one of the books is called "Sector General"?) about a doctor working at a hospital in the middle of a space opera universe. He gets patients whose biology he doesn't understand, and they may not even be sick, there's cultural hijinks to navigate and hospital bureaucracy to defeat. I recommend them.

James White. And Sector General is also the name of the series. I found them on Amazon but they won't sell the ebooks to me because I'm in the wrong country. The official website is dead, but the publisher's website has links to other places it might be available.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pastry of the Year posted:

I loved Pulaski. I came to ST super late (I only watched TOS and TNG, like, three years ago) so I was already sort of aware of the extra-textual stuff, but man, Pulaski was just lightning in a bottle.

pulaski was good yeah, i always wondered why fans were so sour on her since their animosity seemed to go beyond her rivalry with data

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Crusher was better than Pulaski and when you think about how much of a non interesting character crusher was, it’s quite the insult. The only thing younger me remembered about crusher was bring trapped in the bubble and her and troi exercising in their 400 year old outfits

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

hard counter posted:

pulaski was good yeah, i always wondered why fans were so sour on her since their animosity seemed to go beyond her rivalry with data

Pulaski was written to be an rear end in a top hat to the most popular character on the show, which really didn't help her popularity. Add to that the fact that the rest of the cast wasn't happy about Gates getting fired, and it was pretty obvious that she wasn't going to last.

oldpainless posted:

Crusher was better than Pulaski and when you think about how much of a non interesting character crusher was, it’s quite the insult. The only thing younger me remembered about crusher was bring trapped in the bubble and her and troi exercising in their 400 year old outfits

Crusher's problem was that her character development was primarily tied to other characters, her relationship with Picard and her being Wesley's mother. She lost both of those when Wil left the show, and Patrick decided he wanted his latest fling to be his new love interest (Vash).

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Deep Space 9 had to cheat with space magic to justify a lesbian kiss and still falling under 'they're hot'.

Oddly enough a series tradition given Kirk and Uhura's kiss in TOS also needed space magic and Shatner deliberately screwing up every almost-kiss take.
Fun fact: Recently in a vintage store I saw a 1960s Star Trek comic book in which Uhura was not just white, but blond. Nichelle Nichols was a saint to put up with this crap.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

trickybiscuits posted:

Fun fact: Recently in a vintage store I saw a 1960s Star Trek comic book in which Uhura was not just white, but blond. Nichelle Nichols was a saint to put up with this crap.

It's still happening, lol

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

oldpainless posted:

You forgot the episode where she had sex with an ancient Irish ghost lmao

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Responding to this week old post to say Lindsay Ellis is great and deserves your views.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You goddamn evil misty jocks,

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Vibranium makes you white.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

They actually did this in a Marvel spoof book a couple of years ago. Where Black Panther removes his helmet, reveals he's white and states that yeah, he's from Africa... South Africa.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

hard counter posted:

People wanted to gently caress Crusher, they did not want to gently caress Pulaski, ST fans are very horny on the main

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

People wanted to gently caress Crusher, they did not want to gently caress Pulaski, ST fans are very horny on the main
Which is doubly funny because when the show did try to go all-in on fanservice it was uniformly horrible (Troi/Crusher doing Yoga, A Night in Sickbay, pretty much everything about what they had poor Jeri Ryan wearing for 4 years).

Bogus Adventure posted:

This is the race-baiting equivalent of holding your finger in front of someone's eyes and going "I'm not touching you." I hate it on that basis. A white Black Panther is perfectly legit as a concept, same with a Black Batman or Black Punisher or Black Rorschach or Black Joker or Black Deadpool, but a white Black Panther that didn't come across as tone-deaf would be really hard to write well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Which is doubly funny because when the show did try to go all-in on fanservice it was uniformly horrible (Troi/Crusher doing Yoga, A Night in Sickbay, pretty much everything about what they had poor Jeri Ryan wearing for 4 years).

This is the race-baiting equivalent of holding your finger in front of someone's eyes and going "I'm not touching you." I hate it on that basis. A white Black Panther is perfectly legit as a concept, same with a Black Batman or Black Punisher or Black Rorschach or Black Joker or Black Deadpool, but a white Black Panther that didn't come across as tone-deaf would be really hard to write well.

Fairly sure Jeri Ryan is the only reason Voyager lasted as long as it did.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mind the walrus posted:

Maybe a white black panther who’s acutely aware of the connotations of his existence and struggles to live up to the name while not empowering exactly the kind of shitheads who’d be overjoyed to see see black panther replaced by a white guy.

But you’d still have to explain why he wouldn’t just pick any other identity so I don’t think it would work.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just be the white panther

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

oldpainless posted:

Just be the white panther

No, White Black Panther

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Calaveron posted:

No, White Black Panther

That would probably be a running theme, with people just calling him White Panther and being very pointedly corrected.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://youtube.com/watch?v=wKbGnzmidsw

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
White Panther would be too close to White Tiger. Who I believe is currently a Hispanic woman.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't white wolf basically the white black panther? They've got kind of a sibling rivalry thing going on in the comics iirc

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Calaveron posted:

No, White Black Panther

Be Blight Panther

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Fairly sure Jeri Ryan is the only reason Voyager lasted as long as it did.
She was a big reason it got carried over the finish line, but let's not forget it was one of the lone "jewels" in the crown that was UPN.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

She was a big reason it got carried over the finish line, but let's not forget it was one of the lone "jewels" in the crown that was UPN.

Shasta McNasty was underrated

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

White power panther?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was going to ask if White Panthers even exist but browsing Wiki I found the best possible superhero

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_panther

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Why that book got extended into 3 movies, I'll never understand. It was so bad.

Like butter scraped over too much bread.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Calaveron posted:

No, White Black Panther
Snow Leopard

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I was going to ask if White Panthers even exist but browsing Wiki I found the best possible superhero

Ok, now I'm picturing a superhero with a meth problem, regressive politics and very poor decision making skills.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean you're pretty much describing The Punisher at his worst right there

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

The DS9 documentary that just came out was pretty good, had the showrunner outright admit they should have handled LGBT issues better.

that goodness no one had to wait for the actors to personally write unabashedly gay beta canon content for their characters. I mean thats sort of a weird thing to do but whatever

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Featuring Roberto Luongo? Yeah, that could work. "Gloveside" would be a good name for his nemesis as well.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9qvUwofmwI

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

Ok, now I'm picturing a superhero with a meth problem, regressive politics and very poor decision making skills.

Florida Man?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Florida Man?
Jfc read the thread.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Tiggum posted:

I'd watch a Dr Pulaski show. I'm thinking something like House MD but in space.

We’ve had sci-fi legal drama in the short-lived Century City.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MrUnderbridge posted:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

DC Database posted:

Powers and Abilities

Powers

Unique Physiology: Gains superpowers upon snorting cocaine.
Superhuman Strength
Superhuman Speed
Immunity to Pain
Pyrokinesis
Cocaine Touch: Touching Snowflame was sufficient to give the Floronic Man a contact high.

Weaknesses

Drug Addiction: Cocaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

That dude looks like all he wants to do is rock and do cocaine. And who can blame him? He seems like the perfect hero that we don't deserve in these dark days.