Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

I said come in! posted:

Okay, I managed to order Apothecary White, and Black Templar. I was looking at a youtube video for apothecary white, and it appears to be more grey, so I was a little bit worried if I should get ahold of GWS to change my order. I also added in wraithbone to my order, and from the video I saw, it is far more white? So I am confused. Here is the video I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDVB1j_zVc&t=44s

Well, here’s a good set of swatches, so you can make your own color decisions:

Wraithbone and Grey Seer spray are meant to act as primers; they establish a default color and then the contrast paints modify it. Grey Seer is a cool light grey, and Wraithbone is a warm one. The idea behind Apothecary White is it doesn’t strongly color the raised areas but settles in the recesses, shading them, like a light grey wash: this is why Wraithbone and Grey Seer both look brighter than Apothecary White.

You may have ordered Wraithbone base, which is meant to be used to correct errors in application of the contrast paints when moving from one color to another.

(You don’t actually want to color your whites pure white, because then you can’t highlight them. A very light grey will look white on a model otherwise covered with darker colors.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Correct, I got the base. I didn't realize there was a difference between the base and spray. Would I be better off canceling this order and changing it?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Correct, I got the base. I didn't realize there was a difference between the base and spray. Would I be better off canceling this order and changing it?

At this point I think if you try to cancel and reorder you'll have trouble, because most of it is out of stock. You can use contrast paints over anything, not just the two specific bases or sprays. If you're trying to do white armor tau you'll want to start with something that's white or near white. The advantage of the two new sprays is that they cover better than most other white sprays.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Some of the craziest paint skills I've ever seen. That doesn't look 3D! Its like oil on canvas in 3D.

source: https://www.patreon.com/FlameonMiniatures

Guess I should have posted this in the painting thread but eh whatever

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 11, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

xtothez posted:

Some cool new models with a refreshingly competitive codex? Nice.

A bunch of cool barely used models but an awesome codex to use with your old classic models? Well I guess it could be worse.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

LingcodKilla posted:

A bunch of cool barely used models but an awesome codex to use with your old classic models? Well I guess it could be worse.

I see the new Ork buggies all the time in armies.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Two Beans posted:

Yeah, but you actually play the game

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Two Beans posted:

I’m glad you do. The rule of cool works.
I’m not having any luck finding a competive list with any of the new models in it but quite a few meks on bikes, wierdboyz and some tank bustas and kommandos. I did find one netlist with the new HQ trike. Did I miss a tourney winning list running them?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
The new buggies are all really cool and decent to run in games where people are bringing non-optimal stuff. I had a Megatrakk one-shot a Coldstar Tau Commander because 5 rocket shots can deal a lot of damage.

The biggest issue is they're all overcosted by like 10 points except the Megatrakk, but most people would rather run Tankbusta's for the points, the non-random shots, and rerolling failed hits versus vehicles.

I love my Scrapjets (other than assembling them) and for 110 points each they are actually decently cheap AT in lower cost games. They lose out to a big Tankbusta mob at 1500+ though imo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

:vince:

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/10/battle-sister-bulletin-9-coming-soon-to-a-warhammer-day-near-yougw-homepage-post-1/

Soon.
As soon as June 29th even. Really hoping I can pick that one up elsewhere much like Severina.

Well, I know what I'm doing June 29th: getting to the GW store either too late or finding out they aren't doing Warhammer Day.

Jokes aside, the plastic Sisters of Battle are like the one thing I've been anticipating since getting into mini painting last year. My hope is that they're going to update the whole range: not just the standard SOB, but other units like the Exorcist, the Cannoness, the Penitent Engine, the Repentia, and...I dunno, anything that is made of metal. I'm willing to drop $200 for the whole collection if they offer it.

nac
Jun 1, 2008
Contrast paints are back in stock on the online store FYI. I just ordered the white and black that I had missed before.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Hahaha, hook line and sinker

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

At this point I think if you try to cancel and reorder you'll have trouble, because most of it is out of stock. You can use contrast paints over anything, not just the two specific bases or sprays. If you're trying to do white armor tau you'll want to start with something that's white or near white. The advantage of the two new sprays is that they cover better than most other white sprays.

If you look at the Talassar Blue the contrast effect is more pronounced over the special sprays, so the advantage is more than just coverage.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you look at the Talassar Blue the contrast effect is more pronounced over the special sprays, so the advantage is more than just coverage.

It doesn't look to me like it's doing its contrast thing any more, its just that wraithbone is effectively a lighter base to work from than corax because it gives better coverage with less of the plastic below showing through.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The new primers sort of irk me, because I've managed to prime models pretty well and for cheap with the use of spray primers from the hardware store (notably Rustoleum 2X). I would think plain old white primer is about the same as Corax White, but with Wraithbone and Grey Seer, it seems like you don't really have any alternatives for an off-white primer (maybe regular old grey primer would work, but that might be too dark, and you're still lacking the tan/beige/bone color of Wraithbone).

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

The new primers sort of irk me, because I've managed to prime models pretty well and for cheap with the use of spray primers from the hardware store (notably Rustoleum 2X). I would think plain old white primer is about the same as Corax White, but with Wraithbone and Grey Seer, it seems like you don't really have any alternatives for an off-white primer (maybe regular old grey primer would work, but that might be too dark, and you're still lacking the tan/beige/bone color of Wraithbone).

Prime with whatever, then basecoat with wraithbone/greyseer from the pot.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the mini thread:

JackMann posted:

Finished the last of my deployment minis. Five nobz for the waaaagh!

Not the best nobz in the world, but I worked through them relatively quickly. Next time, I'll probably paint the shoulderpads separately so I can do more freehand type stuff with 'em.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

It doesn't look to me like it's doing its contrast thing any more, its just that wraithbone is effectively a lighter base to work from than corax because it gives better coverage with less of the plastic below showing through.

I suppose we'd need to see the model after priming to verify that. I assumed they had sufficiently coated each model.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Tonight I'm a cut off my hands and feed them to the dogs.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Are there any good bits sites anymore? I've got a box of Rubrics that I want to turn into 2 units, so I'm trying to find the bits to make a 2nd Aspiring Sorcerer. Ebay just isn't cutting it in this case, sadly.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Ebay is the only place for bitz nowadays; better GW sprues/less multi-part models have made bitz sites largely uncompetitive.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hoardobits occasionally has some. Or look at places like Shapeways.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

Are there any good bits sites anymore? I've got a box of Rubrics that I want to turn into 2 units, so I'm trying to find the bits to make a 2nd Aspiring Sorcerer. Ebay just isn't cutting it in this case, sadly.

They're EU based but you can check:
http://www.bitzarium.com/
https://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I suppose we'd need to see the model after priming to verify that. I assumed they had sufficiently coated each model.

The detail isn't clogged so clearly the corax white isn't applied heavily enough to be perfectly opaque. From people who have actually handled it they said the new sprays aren't doing anything magical.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Has anyone linked this yet? Wiki that tracks all the point and rules changes across the faqs, books, articles, etc.

http://wahapedia.ru/wh40k8ed/factions/chaos-space-marines/

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I bit the bullet and bought a parted out second eliminator squad. Everyone laugh at me in 2 weeks when the multipart kit is out.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Eifert Posting posted:

I bit the bullet and bought a parted out second eliminator squad. Everyone laugh at me in 2 weeks when the multipart kit is out.

With better gear options.

(It won’t be until after Warhammer Day.)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

The detail isn't clogged so clearly the corax white isn't applied heavily enough to be perfectly opaque. From people who have actually handled it they said the new sprays aren't doing anything magical.

Fair enough.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
GW: we refuse to make rules for models we don't currently make.
Also GW: have these 6 limited production units in our most popular faction w/o continued availability or any timeline for replacement.

:v:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Give me Rough Riders, GW!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

EvilBeard posted:

Give me Rough Riders, GW!

They're called Atalan Jackals these days.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

They're called Atalan Jackals these days.

That's fine, but I wish GW would just give us a DCK Riders style unit for IG. I'd like a cheap fast attack unit that isn't a sentinel.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

EvilBeard posted:

That's fine, but I wish GW would just give us a DCK Riders style unit for IG. I'd like a cheap fast attack unit that isn't a sentinel.

Maybe you could like, replace the sentinel legs with cold ones legs?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Baba Yaga is Vostroyan-only.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Give me Mordians! I know their rules suck, but they look cool!

Give me Tallarn! I know their rules rule, and they look cool!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Did somebody say Mordians?

The pewter sculpts were actually pretty decent on these guys. Shame about the move to finecast and all that.

I need to get some more officers and some heavy weapon teams before I play these, and actually paint them first, but... yeah.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Tadhg posted:

The pewter sculpts were actually pretty decent on these guys. Shame about the move to finecast and all that.

I need to get some more officers and some heavy weapon teams before I play these, and actually paint them first, but... yeah.

They made great commissar training squad stand ins and I ended using a squad as penal legions back a couple additions.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Does anyone have an idea on how to sculpt mutated/streched flesh, like the old Obliterators used to have? I'm trying to cover gaps on a Bullgryn that's becoming an abberant.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

LingcodKilla posted:

They made great commissar training squad stand ins and I ended using a squad as penal legions back a couple additions.
I only used the Mordians as sergeants in my Penal Legion. The troopers themselves were swole, rock-breakin' motherfuckers, best exemplified by the old metal Catachans:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Tadhg posted:

The blue (and red) contrast paints would probably look fully sick on those jackets