Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I get the impression he does not really have a personal life. He just sits in apartments giving orders through computers and Doppio, and when he goes out to enjoy stuff he goes as Doppio.
What subforums does Doppio like to post in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Ask/Tell

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

He and the Boss seem pretty tech savvy so SH/SC

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
He doesn't post in TCC, but he PMs the regulars a lot.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There would be some fantastic irony with Diavolo going through all of this trouble to protect his personal life only to not have any idea what to do with his personal life.

He dresses like he wants to tear up the club, but his crippling paranoia prevents him from going. :saddowns:

I mean maybe doppio can go to the club, and even take off the sweater sometimes, but considering Diavolo needs Doppio to explain what’s happening over the “phone” I don’t think he’s really aware of sensory input while doppio is “driving.”

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

He dresses like he wants to tear up the club, but his crippling paranoia prevents him from going. :saddowns:

I mean maybe doppio can go to the club, and even take off the sweater sometimes, but considering Diavolo needs Doppio to explain what’s happening over the “phone” I don’t think he’s really aware of sensory input while doppio is “driving.”

I get the sense that Diavolo is aware of everything that happens with Doppio, but not the reverse.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Diavolo definitely has access to some senses since he was able to infer details without Doppio's assistance, like Polnaref's presence and poor Bruno's blindness.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Maybe he operates like Bruno, since he's just a soul when he's not in control.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah he is aware of things he just needs medium to speak to Doppio through to inform of things while deluding Doppio into thinking its a phonecall.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's very much just partitioning off certain things in an effort to keep his identity secret. the flow from diavolo to doppio is pretty one-sided and the doppio presence is mainly a forward-facing front for the 'complete' individual we know as diavolo.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
https://twitter.com/Lewd_Snake/status/1137843773139038208

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
With how often he play characters named John, I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the running to play Johnathan Joestar in an adaptation of Phantom Blood.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

John "JoJo" Wick and his stand [WYLD STALLYN]

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I've watched all the openings and endings, because they loving rule, and noticed something in the latest ending. Spoilering because if I'm right, it's actually kinda huge. I'm too lazy to verify this, but I'm pretty sure new stands were added from bottom to top every time we met them since the ending was introduced. Now, on the second part of the pillar, we first see Fugo, and then Abbacchio's stands, followed by Narancia and Bruno. Only then we see King Crimson weirly in the middle of all this, not in some cool or important part of the tower, followed by Trish, Mista, and finally Giorno. So, uh... Is this the order characters loving die (or in case with Fugo, leave)? I mean, there were some foreshadowing moments in endings before. Makes sense why King Krimson is in the middle of all the bullshit and not more prominent, but still fairly close to the top.
What makes me think it's all bullshit is Bruno being higher than Narancia. I mean, they both got hosed up, but Bruno can't even loving walk. And my only hunch is two characters at the bottom, aside from enemy stands, so I could just be reading too much into this. I kinda hope so, frankly. Still have hopes for Bruno's recovery.

So yeah. This is a theory, don't spoil poo poo, I don't care if I'm right or wrong. Just noticed that and thought it might be a thing.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
All of this Kira/Diavolo talk made me realize - that Kira did a better job at living a double life then Diavolo, even though the former literally blows poo poo up for shits and giggles and the latter has an actual living, breathing decoy to work with. So no wonder people like Kira more, he basically is Diavolo but better.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Kikas posted:

All of this Kira/Diavolo talk made me realize - that Kira did a better job at living a double life then Diavolo, even though the former literally blows poo poo up for shits and giggles and the latter has an actual living, breathing decoy to work with. So no wonder people like Kira more, he basically is Diavolo but better.

kira had an insane cheat tho and no need to run a massive organization

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zyla posted:

kira had an insane cheat tho and no need to run a massive organization

diavolo doesn't really seem to do much in the organization he runs

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yinlock posted:

diavolo doesn't really seem to do much in the organization he runs

Even so, "being the secret head of a giant italian mafia" is pretty much the opposite of what Kira wanted to do with his life. Kira's whole being was put into not standing out, not drawing people's attention, not being someone that people would ever care about.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Personally part of what I like about Diavolo is how much he sabotages himself. The dude has one of the most OP stands in the series, can hide in Doppio whenever he needs to and is in charge of a massive crime organisation but is so terrified of his identity being found out that he spends his days huddled under a blanket and ends up exposing himself to far more danger and wrecking his own organisation trying to eliminate any perceived threat to himself than if he'd just left it all alone.

He's exactly as crazy and self-contradictory as his backstory indicates.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nephthys posted:

Personally part of what I like about Diavolo is how much he sabotages himself. The dude has one of the most OP stands in the series, can hide in Doppio whenever he needs to and is in charge of a massive crime organisation but is so terrified of his identity being found out that he spends his days huddled under a blanket and ends up exposing himself to far more danger and wrecking his own organisation trying to eliminate any perceived threat to himself than if he'd just left it all alone.

his biggest mistake in the "trust no one" strategy was trusting himself

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The episode where Polnareff touches a boob for the first time is incredible

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nephthys posted:

"No one must threaten my throne!" - Diavolo after having a child, stiffing his assassins on the bill, distributing drugs throughout the community, betraying Bruno's trust, letting gravity do the job of killing Polnareff, etc.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"No one must threaten my throne!" - Diavolo after having a child, stiffing his assassins on the bill, distributing drugs throughout the community, betraying Bruno's trust, letting gravity do the job of killing Polnareff, etc.

he dresses it up in fancy words but is just a coward

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've liked Doppio so far. Having an idiot persona who constantly gets put on the back foot (while still having a competent one who can maintain his threat as a villain) is a good change of pace.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

my headcanon is still that he refuses to allow anyone to know he had a heterosexual relationship

it makes a lot more sense to me than the drugs thing

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zyla posted:

my headcanon is still that he refuses to allow anyone to know he had a heterosexual relationship

He's doing a really bad job then considering everyone knew from day one about Trish's existence.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Would Diavolo even have any problems at all if he just kept his word on putting Trish in gangster witness protection?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AnEdgelord posted:

Would Diavolo even have any problems at all if he just kept his word on putting Trish in gangster witness protection?

So long as she was kept protected by people skilled enough to do so while also not willing to use her to betray Diavolo, no. The main issue is that Diavolo trusts no one except himselves, so he'd rather just kill Trish off and remove that particular problem. He feels no love for anyone anyways and it should've been an easy job - but he has a really bad tendency to underestimate people, be it Risotto's gang, Bucciarati's gang, Polnareff...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

diavolo is a man who takes shortcuts and is only interested in the final result

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Johnny Joestar posted:

diavolo is a man who takes shortcuts and is only interested in the final result

I was just catching up with episodes yesterday and this reminded me of what Abbacchio's partner was saying about the result not being the real point while the process to get there is. I totally forgot about that from my initial read through.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a direct reference to the way diavolo goes about things, more or less. down to his waffle cone full of two scoops of angry face that his stand consists of that can literally make it seem like time is jumping forward.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also his screaming fit when he fought Bucciarati. "The results! Only the results matter in this world!"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Diavolo is kind of a huge moron.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He's Kars with less stage presence

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zyla posted:

everyone experimented in college

e:
and yeah everything would be instantly solved and he would currently be in no danger whatsoever if diavolo just cared about his daughter like at all

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 12, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Polnareff later contacts Giorno and Co. about a special method to defeat Diavolo, only to realize he lost an arm, an eye, and both legs because he never considered just asking him nicely.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You can't blame the guy for thinking he finished off Polnareff. He broke his face, cut-off three of his limbs, threw him off the cliff, saw him splattered against the rocks below and then dumped him in the ocean. All things considered, he was being pretty thorough. Polnareff just have some insane durability to survive all of that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

davidHalestorm posted:

You can't blame the guy for thinking he finished off Polnareff. He broke his face, cut-off three of his limbs, threw him off the cliff, saw him splattered against the rocks below and then dumped him in the ocean. All things considered, he was being pretty thorough. Polnareff just have some insane durability to survive all of that.

Also this

Looks super dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Luckily Jotaros trained dolphin found him and using it's stand「NIRVANA」was able to take him back from the brink of death.