Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not really "mechanical demand", since I'd honestly say many of the TF2 characters require a lot more of that. It's more that because of the slow movement and high healthpools in OW, as well as the fact that guns have very little burst fire and abilities have enforced cooldowns, positioning both as an individual and as a team member matter a lot more. A solo character can't carry because you need focus fire to take anyone down except for the DPSes, who can typically be wiped out by a stiff breeze if they don't have both a tank and a support backing them up.

In TF2, most of the offensive characters can quickly kill a few people in a row if they need to, and their mobility enhancements are either always on or have no cooldown as long as you can pay their cost. In Overwatch, even the "damage" heroes will usually blow more than half their clip just killing one DPS or healer, and their mobility skill is usually tied to a long cooldown. Soldier can rocket-jump in, gib two or three non-Heavies with well-placed rockets, and rocket-jump out. There's no one in the OW roster that's capable of anything comparable to that, and there's a lot more characters with Heavy-level healthpools too.

Yeah I mean that's pretty much what I dislike about OW, ult economy is boring (says the medic main) and DM is de-emphasized in favor of whoever has abilities off cooldown. Also, the rock-paper-scissors is really firm, if you are getting hard countered there's literally nothing you can do about it except switch, you aren't going to ever win an un-favored matchup against a class with abilities that counter yours.

In TF2 your "abilities" are your ammo counter and it's not a hard cooldown, you can load a few shots in the middle of battle if you need, at the cost of that being a less efficient way to load ammo. And the fact that the only real "team advantage" is overheals and uber (and I guess sentry) limits the amount of advantage any one team can have over another, where in Overwatch you're potentially going up against six players with I-win buttons that need to be forced or countered. And skilled play or favorable terrain can easily overcome an unfavorable matchup, particularly in non-comp play.

I just think it's a bad feeling that you lost a team fight because you had ult disadvantage or because you ran out of buttons to press. I guess in the end it's all a different kind of "outplayed" but it's not as fun as having good core DM mechanics that let a good player win an unfavored matchup or a tilted team advantage.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I think it's pretty well understood by this point that there isn't much overlap between the things to like about TF2 and the things to like about OW.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

ult economy is boring (says the medic main)

I think a big problem with OW's ult economy is just the fact that you don't lose them when you die. They're not a reward, they're an inevitability. They cannot be stopped, and all members of the team have them. Meanwhile in TF2, the same concept exists: a powerful ability that takes a long time to charge up. But only the medic has it, they lose it all when they die, and TF2 medics are fragile in a way that not a single member of the OW cast can be. Any class in TF2 other than medic can kill a medic in 2 hits, taking 2 seconds at the very most. No shields to hide behind, either. And then it's all gone, you come back with 0%. Ubercharge is your reward for surviving and doing your job, and if you gently caress up, it's gone.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

TF2 was a beautifully balanced game that got sloppy as time went on, whereas OW sucked from the start. Goddamn the maps are bad. Like, say what you will about the shittiness of TF2's starting maps, at least even 2fort has sewers to get into the enemy base if you don't feel like crossing the bridge! No OW map has that, it's just pure chokepoints.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

TF2 was a beautifully balanced game that got sloppy as time went on, whereas OW sucked from the start. Goddamn the maps are bad. Like, say what you will about the shittiness of TF2's starting maps, at least even 2fort has sewers to get into the enemy base if you don't feel like crossing the bridge! No OW map has that, it's just pure chokepoints.

I thought overwatch was a little rough, at the start, but also that there was a lot to like in there.

then it turned out that all the stuff I liked were oversights by the devs that were then corrected and that the rough stuff was all on purpose

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What Overwatch really needs is random crits

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

overwatch has "alternate routes" but overwatch's idea of an "alternate route" is "another door 5 feet to the right of the main door"

but also more importantly, since your survivability gets multiplied to extreme levels if you're standing by other teammates, having another team member split off to take an alt route and hit the enemy team's flank usually pans out very poorly, and it's frequently best to just have your entire team walk through the same door, which rather obviates the value of alternate paths

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Overwatch has so much variety and that's part of the problem. There's no one class that can handle pretty much any fight (Soldier)

also 6v6 is terrible and stressful for everyone involved

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

overwatch has "alternate routes" but overwatch's idea of an "alternate route" is "another door 5 feet to the right of the main door"

alternate routes in overwatch exist but are vestigial: everything about the game encourages teams to clump together into a big group to maintain the greatest coverage of defences and healing. If this clump isn't located at the objective, you lose.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

RareAcumen posted:

Overwatch has so much variety and that's part of the problem. There's no one class that can handle pretty much any fight (Soldier)

I too think it's good game design to have one or two classes that are obviously the best picks.

All I know is that as a scrub-tier poo poo player I find Overwatch more fun than TF2, despite its terrible map design. What I'd really like is a TF3 but lol Valve.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Makes me wonder. Would tf3 story continue the gravel wars?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
TF3: The ghosts of the Mann bros start up competing currencies RedCoin and BluCoin. The merc crew is back, except for Scout who passed away in the 80's.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure soldier 76 is meant to fulfill the "good in most any situation or comp" role

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm pretty sure soldier 76 is meant to fulfill the "good in most any situation or comp" role

Except he sucks cuz his gameplay is "shoot at a big shield for twenty minutes".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Over watch is a game where I feel like I can never kill enemy players because of tanks and supports, and I also feel like I get one shot constantly. Someone said earlier that OW'S design philosophy includes "a dps shouldn't be able to kill another dps before they have time to react" but like even ignoring widow and hanzo (sniper characters in multiplayer fps need to die), doomfist can kill any nontank in half a second (generally the punch+wall hit is a oneshot), McCree "technically" can't oneshot you but can stun you, then unload the entire clip of his gun with a single button press before your stun is over, a reaper behind your "technically" kills you in as many shots as a scout in that position can kill you, but he has 2.5x scout's fire rate so he'll definitely kill you before you've even figured out that you're being shot in the back, a mei thats gotten close to you will freeze you before you could conceivably get away, and then oneshot you with her altfire so it's slightly more fair in that you could theoretically 180 and snapshot her face if you're playing as a character that can oneshot her. Which uh, means you're a character that can oneshot another character.

The lethality in overwatch is loving stupid, you're made out of paper unless there's a tank in front of you and a support behind you, in which case you're loving invincible. And if your whole team is tanks and supports, your whole team is loving invincible.

Yeah, no one can outright one-shot (except for the snipers and the suicide-chargers). But because of the supreme importance of positioning and team support, you can very easily be forced into a situation where (even though it takes them three or four shots to kill you) death is inevitable and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it...unless you have an escape ability that makes you invincible or teleports you away.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

For the most part sure, but if you're fighting someone with a shield then not so much.

Not a whole lot of shield breakers in that game as far as I'm aware. Not really a problem for TF2 since all the shields only reduce damage instead of absorb it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Soldier was considered an incredibly good shield breaker until they changed the in game "damage done" metric and associated metal to not count shield damage anymore. Then, overnight, suddenly it was only worthwhile for roadhog, reaper, and bastion to ever shoot at shields.

I always found that pretty amusing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
soldier 76 is really bad right now because he sucks rear end against the current meta comps(stacked tanks and healing)

unless they change things really drastically damage heros will never be in a healthy place. one of the other longest lasting meta comps was dive, which was damage based but it too was basically just a reaction to how difficult it is to individually kill someone in OW(and so dive is all about taking multiple heros with strong mobility and jumping on a single enemy to split them from their team and focus them down quickly, usually a support to cut their healing(and then they introduced a braindead support hero that specifically counters that and now playing damage heros just sucks compared to tanks and supports no matter what))

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

soldier 76 is really bad right now because he sucks rear end against the current meta comps(stacked tanks and healing)

unless they change things really drastically damage heros will never be in a healthy place. one of the other longest lasting meta comps was dive, which was damage based but it too was basically just a reaction to how difficult it is to individually kill someone in OW(and so dive is all about taking multiple heros with strong mobility and jumping on a single enemy to split them from their team and focus them down quickly, usually a support to cut their healing(and then they introduced a braindead support hero that specifically counters that and now playing damage heros just sucks compared to tanks and supports no matter what))

dive was still tank based, it was always D.va and Winston

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it wasn't majority damage heros but at least they were equally represented and damage was actually done fast enough for people to die in a fairly timely fashion.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The only thing Soldier 76 has ever been good for is driving off other DPSes without needing much team support, because even though his general damage output is rear end, he can pop a self-heal ability and be effectively invincible in a 1v1 until the healing wears off.

He just can't handle tanks, because it takes him like ten seconds of sustained fire to do enough damage to kill one.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Been messing around with my cosmetics so here, have some nightmare fuel:

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
What combination is that? I have a friend that would dig it.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

QwertySanchez posted:

I remember someone buying Carpet Johnson an account. turned out the whole "lol get wrecked human being" thing in his videos wasn't entirely ironic and he didn't last long.. I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKp7Efyu_w
Who are you? I thought he bought his own account and I'm sorry, he wasn't ready =( But his irony is just more internalized and heartfelt than yours.

Do you really think he thought pyro was a viable class in 6's? The entire thing was a joke, but the bigger joke was how well he was able to do against "good" 6's players that didn't like having their rote chess match fudged up with silly gimmicks. I'm also a big fan of thief, and everyone hated him too. I like people that can take "the way real pro's do it" and turn that upside down, even if by being really unpredictable in stupid ways. And I would encourage them to do it, even in an environment where some of us are still struggling to learn the ropes of 6's pushes. The ropes are for suckers.

The most consistently good player I've ever played in MGE is not any of the toppest-top invite level players, it's carpet's BFF. Spello. Wilka. Whatever he's going by. That dude is the anti-carpet, he does nothing but practice and play hard to COUNTER bullshit. He is vanilla tryhard supreme. And of course he's carpet's best bro.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sanctum posted:

Who are you? I thought he bought his own account and I'm sorry, he wasn't ready =( But his irony is just more internalized and heartfelt than yours.

Do you really think he thought pyro was a viable class in 6's? The entire thing was a joke, but the bigger joke was how well he was able to do against "good" 6's players that didn't like having their rote chess match fudged up with silly gimmicks. I'm also a big fan of thief, and everyone hated him too. I like people that can take "the way real pro's do it" and turn that upside down, even if by being really unpredictable in stupid ways. And I would encourage them to do it, even in an environment where some of us are still struggling to learn the ropes of 6's pushes. The ropes are for suckers.

The most consistently good player I've ever played in MGE is not any of the toppest-top invite level players, it's carpet's BFF. Spello. Wilka. Whatever he's going by. That dude is the anti-carpet, he does nothing but practice and play hard to COUNTER bullshit. He is vanilla tryhard supreme. And of course he's carpet's best bro.

not gonna lie, this might just be the funniest post in this thread

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sanctum posted:

There are babies alive right now who weren’t yet conceived when the post you’re responding to was made.

But anyway yeah, sucks when people miss the deep hilarity of your slurs because they aren’t ironic of heart like you are.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sanctum posted:

sir this is the overwatch thread

Jewel
May 2, 2009

who are you? who am i? help

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
"This is a hat simulator, not a hate simulator!"

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Do we still have a TF2 broker? I lost my job and desperately need to pay some rent and am considering cashing out some of my backpack. Most of it is plain and worthless, except two unusuals and a full vintage gun collection (including shogun). https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198011269859

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I mean, carpet posted a post-ironic pro-Trump vid fairly recently. But sure, it's all a joke.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Oh cool, there is a TF2 thread.

I reinstalled TF2 last weekend to earn points for the Summer Sale, having not played the game in quite some time (last recorded achievement I could find was from 2014). A lot seems to have changed.

It looks like some things have been adopted from Overwatch, like the casual mode matchmaking and ranking, competitive mode (I have played Overwatch, but...). There's also the Contracts thing, which I don't remember. I've been doing some of the Pyro-related ones, and that's bringing back old, painful memories of trying to meet achievement criteria for new items (which makes me wonder if achievement farming servers are still a thing).

I've played the game on-and-off ever since it came out with the Orange Box, and I've never once got a Unsual weapon (i.e. the ones that count number of kills or whatever). Then again, I've got a ton of unopened crates, since I've never put any real money into the game (I spent a few dollars of leftover Steam credit, since I have the Mann Co. hat.), so that's probably why I don't have one.

Is there anything I should look to do or get?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
do not put money into this dead rear end game, that's my advice

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

here's how to get what you want in tf2:

buy a key

find someone to give you 50-60 refined metal for your key

buy what you want with the metal instead of playing a lottery - you can afford every single standard weapon in the game and at least a hat and misc for every single class in the game.

but for reals, this man knows whats up:

Peanut President posted:

do not put money into this dead rear end game, that's my advice

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i kind of wish valve would do people a favor and tell them it's on life support instead of this 'totally an update coming any day now even though it's been almost two years since the last one' vague bullshit that people have to kind of assume

just don't bother, really

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Until proven otherwise, I’m assuming that they aren’t planning on doing anything else for the game but are worried that actually admitting that would affect key sales.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I get drunk and uncrate. Don't deny you all do the same.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it would probably cause a shitstorm if they announced it but part of me would hope they would at least respect the playerbase enough to tell them literally anything instead of just flipping on holiday poo poo to drain more money out of people

also a belated lmao at the Carpet Defender logging in earlier

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Don't give up hope, they must be working on Teufort Battle Royale mode! Please Valve, VALIDATE MY HAT LUST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
no joke me and a friend played some koth last night and I got a loving christmas 2018 crate