Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

LordSaturn posted:

are damage auras more effective at aggroing mobs than non-damage negative auras?

I think stickier sets tend to have both, which would be ideal? I'm not sure at present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Both a damage aura and a taunt aura? That's just Dark and Ice, right?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

LordSaturn posted:

are damage auras more effective at aggroing mobs than non-damage negative auras?

Depends on a few things. Tanks and Brutes both have a taunt component built into their damage powers, and both generate more threat than other ATs. Taunt duration also plays into how strong it is. A regular Tank/Brute damage power, including their auras, is mag4 taunt, for 13.6s. Scrappers in particular have no taunt component on their powers, and have weaker taunt effects on their auras and just in general. Debuff effects will also increase threat even if they don't specifically have a taunt effect on the power.

For specific auras, Willpower's is really weak as a taunt aura, while Shield and Invuln are extra strong (and Shield wins out for having a debuff effect.) I think everything else is pretty standardized for taunt effects to match an any other attack from a Tank/Brute. For best results, use a set like Bio or Dark or Ice with multiple auras to make things be your best friend forever.

Hakarne posted:

Speaking of shield is it really better on a scrapper (or tanker) as opposed to a Brute? I saw a thread on reddit I think that said Shield Charge is wonky and actually uses an invisible pseudopet to do damage and therefore doesn't benefit from Fury or damage modifiers as well on Brute.

I have no idea if that's total bullshit or not though :shrug:

That part is true, yeah. Pseudopet damage caps lower than a Brute can get to, and the +dmg on a Brute from AAO is less valuable in general.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

A good bio

EDIT: gently caress it's tiny, I need to fix that

Not bad, but it's no Sing Sang Song (this was from Live)

And, of course, Sing Sang Song was no Wizard Lord (or was it Wizard Master?)

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

I AM THE MOON posted:

the answer is I just need to loving take power surge on my Kin/EM stalker I'm pretty sure, but I don't wanna and have no idea what to drop for it.
respecced a bunch and did patron power quests (and finally got proper defensive enhancement slotting in the process)

I dropped placate bc gently caress placate. No one likes you placate why did I take you. I was wrong to ever take placate over PS its so good how the gently caress did i play stalker without shadow meld, moon beam, and power surge. Jesus christ what the gently caress is body mastery compared to instasnipes that get stealth crits and weave right into a stalker rotation, or massive def steroids with 50% uptime

Nonexistence posted:

Power surge also looks cooler than most armor T9s!

hell yeah it does.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Took second place in a costume contest today on EL and got 15mil inf. Was pretty fun. We had two people show up with almost identical skull face costumes with all the skulls they could manage. One was black and green, the other was black and blue.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

KittyEmpress posted:

Took second place in a costume contest today on EL and got 15mil inf. Was pretty fun. We had two people show up with almost identical skull face costumes with all the skulls they could manage. One was black and green, the other was black and blue.

Does anyone have screen shots of the Goon costume contest back in retail that ended up being an elaborate way for someone to beat the entire server at Rock/Paper/Scissors? I loved that stupid story.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Freakazoid_ posted:

The funny part was, back then, I had already 3 slot acc/dam because there wasn't a wiki I could look up. Just figured well I really really hate missing and this is working out even against those circle of thorns bosses with super reflexes. The change had only a minor effect on me and I merrily continued amongst the incessant whining.

Yeah, this was me as well. I went "wait...I'm the only one who slots 1 acc/3 dmg/1 end/1 rech into their attacks??? :ohdear:". Even beyond the fact that it paved the way for IOs, it just made sense to get people to slot more than the same 5~ or so important stats and nothing else.

This was also back in the day when Hasten could be six-slotted with recharge to make it perma (so why even bother with slotting recharge when you could spend those slots on MORE DAMAGE) and it was probably one of the key reasons why Regen was so overpowered and subsequently nerfed over and over. Oh, and how about holds with durations so long you could just keep every single mob locked down forever to the point where you didn't even need to worry that badly about support or defense powers?

Glagha posted:

I run 2 acc on like every power I use that can miss. Is that overkill?

Not necessarily. I used to do that a lot back in the day. It's one of those things that's not totally intuitive though because it'll mostly help when fighting +level enemies, but if you're regularly teaming the likelihood of the team having some combination of -Def and +ToHit is increasingly high. Also, once you're at the point where IOs are better than SOs you can increasingly get away with just one.

Also it's always a good idea to check the base accuracy on powers, because it's not always 1.00x. Forex, AoE holds are usually 0.80x and thus really want at least 2 accuracy by default. Some big smackdown powers like Total Focus actually have a nice fat accuracy bonus on them to the point where extra accuracy is probably overkill. And then others frustratingly list an accuracy check without actually using it/using it only in PVP and just confuse the hell out of everyone (or maybe just me).

My personal rule of thumb is: Basic stuff that gets spammed can safely be left at 1 accuracy since if I miss my tier 1 attack or whatever a few times who cares. Anything that absolutely must hit or everyone dies (ie, Controller holds, Twilight Grasp, etc.) gets 2, as well as the aforementioned powers that aren't 1.00x to start with in general.

LordSaturn posted:

One of Willpower's intended :airquote:weaknesses:airquote: is that Rise to the Challenge has a weaker taunt effect than other powers, I think even compared to other non-damaging auras. In general AoE aggro control is less of a big deal on Tankers because their inherent splashes taunt on every single attack and the actual Taunt power exists.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 11, 2019

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Kheldarn posted:

Not bad, but it's no Sing Sang Song (this was from Live)

And, of course, Sing Sang Song was no Wizard Lord (or was it Wizard Master?)

I have so many questions about this, but I'm OUT of time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also since the thread got around to talking about ED at length (hahahah get it?) I think it's finally time for the post I promised would come after my Miller manifesto: Hey John Murdoch, why does everyone hate Jack Emmert so much? (Bear in mind, I showed up to the game right in the middle of Jack's "reign of terror" so my knowledge isn't as thorough.)

City of Heroes was loving wild in its early forms. Like, completely and utterly alien in comparison to what we have now. A short summary: Origins, instead of being a largely meaningless choice, determined how many powers you could obtain. There were also seven of them - Tech and Magic were originally split across "I am literally a robot/I am literally a god" and "I just use tech/magic devices to punch bad guys". Origins that got fewer powers got proportionally stronger powers. Archetypes, the whole foundation of kind of every fuckin' thing in the game? Did not exist. Power selection was completely free-form! There was also a targeting system for attacking different parts of an enemy. Contacts didn't even exist, you just got vague missions (probably zone hunts) out of a terminal in City Hall. Take a look at this poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3kW2Le9TJk

A lot of things ya'll take for granted didn't exist, even after the game launched. Missions giving completion XP? That was added in after the fact. (To try and get people away from mindlessly farming outdoor spawns.) Mission objectives more complicated than kill boss/kill all/static hostage rescue/click glowie? Nada. Travel powers were an investment, you weren't meant to run more than one defensive toggle at a time (imagine every set is Bio Armor and is predicated around toggling between 3 different protections dynamically, yes this meant choosing between actual damage resistance versus mez protection and while we're at it, have fun with your toggles actually shutting off completely when mezzed), and Controllers were designed to not be able to solo under any circumstance.

Oh, also the game was supposed to be Champions Online. (The whole concept being, broadly, what if Champions + Everquest??) They tried to get the license, failed, and thus Paragon City was born.

Jack Emmert clearly loves two things: Greek mythology and pen and paper roleplaying games. Realizing that a lot of what he did was coming from a tabletop RPG background is crucial to understanding the man, I think. To whit, he worked on George Vasilakos' "All Flesh Must Be Eaten". Get it? Unsurprisingly, George's company was the one tapped to make the City of Heroes tabletop game. (And another cool bit of history that I only just dug up for myself: Another credit on AFMBE is one Richard Dakan, who would go on to be the original writer for CoH's story bible!) However, there's another critical element to his character: Dude was born with an incurable condition where his foot is permanently lodged in his mouth. And so we begin the recap of the many incidents whereupon his name was cursed...

The Purple Patch This was an early one and pretty simple. You know how fighting purple con enemies is a bit of a bastard without proper buffs/builds? You know how fighting deep purples (+5 or greater) is nearly an impossibility? That's the purple patch. Originally, the scaling on higher level enemies was minimal if not non-existent with the end result being you could roll up on +10s and not really give a poo poo if you had a good team. Obviously this did weird poo poo to progression and difficulty so the current paradigm was put in place. This was well before my time so I don't know how much of a meltdown this one caused or how badly it was pinned on Jack specifically, but I figured it was worth noting.

"1 Hero = 3 Minions!" That was the guiding principle Jack declared to be basing balance on forever more. (I believe the unspoken assumption was also that 1 Hero = 2 Lts. or 1 Boss but I could be wrong.) Obviously this freaked everyone the hell out because it sounds preposterous. Even in the early days, 3 minions was not a big deal (assuming you were one of the two ATs that could actually fight worth a drat :ssh:) and the exponential power curve for teams was already in place. It immediately came off like Jack did not play his own game. All that said...when you look at that sort of metric on paper, like, literally on paper...it sounds like the kind of unified design you would see in a tabletop game. Hmm.

"Bosses = Archvillains!" (AKA The Dark Souls of Super Hero MMOs) This one was genuinely absurd. Jack came back from a trip where he spent time on the plane playing a Gameboy game. He recounted how he would reach the end of a stage, hit a difficult end boss, and then have to struggle to win. Sometimes he would lose and have to come back and try again. But once he did succeed it felt good to overcome the challenge. So, he abruptly decided that Boss-class enemies should be monstrously more powerful, in order to capture that same "end level boss" magic he had discovered in his Gameboy game. This change was pushed through with basically zero testing. :downs:

Like the previous incident, it spoke to a lack of understanding of the fundamentals of the game. For one, you don't have lives or checkpoints in City of Heroes, instead you get slapped with XP debt when you die (also useful to point out that originally you could get debt after level 5 instead of after level 10, oh! also you probably don't realize this but dying in a mission only actually gives you half the normal amount of debt, this was another later innovation). Also there's the fact that Bosses can freely spawn whenever they drat well want to (though since this was pre-difficulty slider enemy spawns were slightly more constrained than they are now). And finally, how about the fact that end of mission bosses spawn throughout the entire game, 1 to 50? Imagine being forced to fight an AV at the end of every single mission, from the word go, when all you have is like, two attacks and Brawl. I don't think -Regen was even really a thing yet either. (Also: Rest had a 3 minute cooldown. Origin temp powers did not exist. Veteran attacks? Total pipe dream.) Stories rolled in of people fighting these uber-Bosses to a standstill and subsequently becoming stuck. I should also mention this was right around the peak of the devs struggling to understand this whole "soloing" thing that had come about, probably due to how loving good Scrappers were compared to anyone else.

Suffice to say, this change was very quickly pulled because it was really loving stupid. While this sort of thing is why people would grouch about Jack's ~Vision~ for years to come (because obviously lead designers shouldn't have an outsized influence on a game's based on their own opinions :downs:), I think the more terrifying question to ask is how the hell a huge change like that got pushed out with minimal testing? Especially from a studio that didn't usually push out lots of quick updates.

The Devs HATE Fun <:mad:> See, City of Heroes launched with levels 1-40 and Issue 1 added Peregrine Island and the final ten levels. (This is why primary/secondary powersets, the core Freedom Phalanx TFs, all of the old trial content, and so on peter out at level 40. The only thing that was shifted up was Hamidon.) Since 40 was the original level cap, they made the final levels from roughly 37 onward a pain in the rear end to get (this was also obviously before XP boosts, a smoothed, faster curve, and the majority of alternate content was available). This was baked into the raw XP tables. So what happened when they plopped 41-50 on top? Nothing, they didn't bother to update the XP tables at all - you'd suffer your way up to 40 then suddenly jump to about 45 with far less effort.

Naturally, players will find the path of least resistance when presented with such an obstacle. A quirk was discovered that the Abandoned Sewer Trial spawned 4-5 Hatched Krakens (an AV version of the Giant Monster...or maybe that's a GM version of them, whichever) that, thanks to tweaks made elsewhere over time, gave a plentiful bounty of XP per kill and were also nowhere near as strong as other AVs. And since the trial was infinitely repeatable and could be quickly reset because old-style trials are just glorified task forces you could jump in, kill the krakens, exit, repeat. This became a popular way to climb out of the late 30s.

Unsurprisingly, the devs nerfed the poo poo out of it because regardless of how borked the XP curve was players defaulting to one boring, repetitive task in search of an easy reward is never not bad. And just like with the DFB nerf, people flipped out and started throwing out nonsensical arguments about how kraken farming was actually great fun, so why do the devs hate fun? Kraken farming was a social experience (unlike...literally any other form of teaming??) so why did the devs want them to lose all their cool friends they made? And so on, and so on.

This wasn't the only such incident. Wolf farming had slowly started to eat away at the endgame. The simple matter is that while Portal Corp missions are a lot of fun because you get to see weird stuff like "What if the 5th Column Council took over the world?" and other alternate dimensions, most of those missions rely on taking a random early game group and bringing them back for level 40-50. Psychic Clockwork were actually properly designed for this, swapping out the piddly zaps of the original Clockwork for properly threatening psi blast powers...albeit at the expense of completely loving over any Invuln characters who stumbled into those particular missions. (Meanwhile Anti-Matter and Neuron were pumping out recolored Clockwork bosses as their basic enemy type, just to further highlight the asset reuse.) No other group was scaled up appropriately. To Save a Thousand Worlds hinges on dealing with Requiem's hell dimension where there's just him and a bunch of werewolves. They primarily dealt smashing/lethal damage and were easy to herd into a dumpster and were worth a nice chunk of XP.

If you've ever wondered why Column/Council warwolves are such a huge pain in the rear end, that was thanks to farmers. In order to try and chase farmers away they gave werewolves of all kinds insane resistances (including to psychic!), near-immunity to immobilize and slow (to prevent you from locking them down in burn patches, natch), and their attacks were ramped up to bonkers levels with lots of damage and mez alike. The reason why aggro caps and target caps are even a thing? Because Tanks could originally aggro an entire map, concentrate them into a single spot, and then Blasters would nuke the whole pile from orbit. Why does mob collision act weird? Because it used to be possible trick the AI into all jumping onto the same spot, merging them all together. (This still happens with MM henchmen, btw. It may still be very, very rarely possible in other instances but it's not something you can do willy nilly anymore.)

And after all that, people still didn't give a poo poo so they just slapped timers onto those missions. Now you have 2 hours to have your werewolf fun and then you're locked out of the missions forever. Eat poo poo, farmers. :smug: Also, now you casual players can have fun fighting overbuffed werewolves against a time limit. :negative:

So everyone said gently caress that and just moved onto Dreck. There's another very blunt simple portal mission: Dreck has an army of Freaks amassed in a giant outdoor map. Go kill 'im. Unlike some of the wolf maps that could be accidentally completed, nobody's gonna just accidentally kill an AV. So, naturally, that got a timer added to it as well.

Farming went a bit dormant at that point...until later on people realized that there was an alternate dimension entirely populated by Family goons. :doh: At the very least by that point they were smart enough to just nerf their XP in that mission specifically and move on. No inexplicable Super-but-half-XP Family terrorizing Independence Port.

There's also one last land mine lurking in portal missions. There's also a number of missions involving the Hydra dimension. They also give jack and poo poo for XP. Why? Because when the game first came out, missions were not worth doing because, as previously stated, they had no completion bonus. They were also more likely to have bosses lurking in them, whereas street sweeping was usually a game of nuking minions. The favored way to play became hovering over the lake in Perez Park and sniping the Hydra. The Hydra had no ranged attacks so they were easy pickings. Well, bam, suddenly the Hydra gave half as much XP and also gained a toxic spit attack with -Fly attached. (Consider wolves also got their boulder throw with, you guessed it, -Fly attached.) Once missions were actually a thing, nobody gave a poo poo about the Hydra ever again...well...at least until Kraken Farming was discovered. And then never again. At least until DFB farming was discovered. Uh. Hrm.

Regen. Just Regen. Regen was nerfed in every single major patch prior to City of Villains - I1 through I5. (I think the aforementioned -Regen was added in I4, the Arena/PVP update, just so it was remotely possible to win against a /Regen Scrapper.) It was considered the whipping boy of the game and it contributed to the image of Jack as wielding the infamous Nerf Bat* and swinging it with wild abandon. In truth, Regen was pretty loving broken. Of course, so was drat near everything else. The real secret is, as my little history of alpha City of Heroes hopefully shows, is that the game we got was a cobbled-together chimera of ideas transplanted from a markedly different game with a markedly different focus made by a goofus with a markedly different line of thinking to literally anyone else. Also, the powers guy, Geko (ie, the dude actually in charge of most of this stuff), was...uh, just kinda poo poo at his job? That's the impression I got anyway. It almost seemed like not only were they hiding hard numbers from players, but also the devs themselves considering some of the insanity going on under the hood.

*Matt Miller stuck some fake April Fools Day event content into the PIGG files once to gently caress with people who liked to snoop around in there. (Like me.) This included a temp power that was a reskinned baseball bat that was in fact a literal nerf bat. There's even a texture for it and everything. I'm still pissed it never came to fruition.

So Regen has finally been nerfed into the ground. Now what about all that other broken poo poo? Welcome to the Global Defense Nerf baby! To put it into perspective, imagine mean ole Leandro came in and said "I'm removing all +Def effects from IOs, softcapped bitches get hosed" and now imagine the megaton nuclear force generated by the ensuing outrage. That was more or less GDN. In reality, it was a pretty necessary overhaul because the math was such a goddamn mess. But when you're already known for nerfs and now you're nerfing tons of defensive sets left and right, people are gonna lose their poo poo over how their powerset is called Invulnerability but they can actually sometimes die now. :argh: If you ever wondered why pool powers like Combat Jumping or pretty much any stealth power gives a piddly 3-5% defense, that was GDN's doing.

Don't worry though, Jack insisted. They were finally done majorly changing powers. No more huge, sweeping nerfs to the game.

Now how about some Enhancement Diversification. Oops. In short, diminishing returns on enhancements. More than 3 SOs and you're wasting your time. See, Jack was being very, very specific when he said they were done with nerfs. He said they weren't going to change powers any more and in his understanding the upcoming overhaul of the enhancement system (y'know, the things that directly alter the effectiveness of your powers) was a nerf to enhancements. He didn't lie, he just said something demonstrably stupid and misleading. Again.

This was made all the worse because ED was, as said before, foisted upon the City of Villains closed beta testers one weekend with Miller trying to clamp down on word of it getting out. That, of course, horribly failed because nobody was going to put up with that being kept secret when it was such a huge bombshell. (Honestly, given Miller's involvement, the fact that if I'm remembering it right Skills were originally slated for I5, and of course ED makes IOs a workable addition to the game I would guess it was more his project than Jack's; Jack wasn't even lead on CoV and as we'll get into in a moment he had bigger fish to fry.)

This was the big breaking point for a lot of people. Up until now people were happy to slot 1 acc/5 dmg in all their attacks, have perma-Hasten running at all times, and other nonsense. Jack had, intentionally or not, lied by omission (given how much of a dumbass he was, I'm willing to believe it was unintentional...not that it changes how lovely it was). All the devs could offer up was the thin promise that at some future point you might be able to circumvent the soft cap on enhancement effectiveness or otherwise play within its boundaries in more interesting ways (in other words, IOs and Incarnates).

Frankly, much like GDN, it was another fundamental math overhaul that was a necessary evil. With City of Villains in the works they probably began to realize anew that designing content without a more concrete baseline effectiveness wasn't going to work. Cryptic was also never a particularly large operation* and this was back in '05-'06, so while they did have some means of data tracking and some general sense of what they wanted the game to be...this wasn't like nowadays where big studios hoover up tons and tons of data to sift through with salaried mathematicians and can turn on a dime to quickly and efficiently tweak balance.

It did take a long while to get to IOs, but honestly ED by itself wasn't the worst thing, IMO. Being forced to think about slotting for "utility" over raw power meant players had to actually interact with the system, at least a little. Ultimately I think the real reason for the anguish during that period is that the nerfs just kept slowly trickling in over time. If the dev team had the deftness and acumen to put together a single unified "we're gonna fix up this jalopy of a super hero game once and for all" patch that band aid could've been ripped off in a single pull. Instead it was slooooooooooooowly pulled back, ripping out every single hair along the way. All while Jack acted like a ditz and kept declaring that THIS time he had figured out the Secret to making the game work properly.

I've seen this pattern with Jack play out elsewhere, too. A lead designer says "this is what my game is" and then when players push back against that it turns into a race between the designer and the players to see who can be pointlessly hostile about it first. Combined with the fact that Jack was the face of the game, any change big or small got credited to his capricious whims instead of say, Geko not carrying the 1 on his spreadsheets. Said lead designer then goes down in history as "That Guy Who Ruined <Game>" regardless of if the next hapless dev shits the bed just as hard (not intended as a snipe at Miller, btw, I'm actually alluding to my experience with Payday 2 of all things).

*After City of Villains got out the door (and possibly I7, since that was always considered "baked in" to CoV), the dev team was slashed down to what were dubbed the "Freem 15". As in, there were literally 15 core team members doing all of the design work at one point; from roughly I8 to I11, which was a bit of a golden age for the game despite that. In particular, it's honestly pretty mindblowing that I10, one of best overall issue updates period, was created under such circumstances.

Marvel Universe Online Why was the CoX team gutted down to 15 freaking people? Because Jack had scored the big one: Marvel, doing a 180 from that whole "suing Cryptic and NCsoft because you could make xXteh Wolferine69Xx in City of" thing, wanted to make their own MMO. Except this was also back when Marvel was a flighty, mismanaged mess that didn't know what the gently caress it was doing. So halfway into development, Marvel got cold feet and pulled out of the deal. Now what?

Champions Online Now, this is probably more of an Atari-borne trashfire and I know there's better qualified people out there to get into the grand clusterfuck that is Champions, but here's what happened to my understanding: They hastily scrubbed any Marvel stuff off the content that had already created. Then bought the entire Champions IP outright. :psyduck: (Then re-licensed it back to the tabletop game.) Champions Online was born! :confuoot:

Finally we've reached the reason why I personally hate Jack. See, Jack stepped up to be the hype man for Champions since clearly this was something he was passionate about from the very beginning considering City of Heroes' origins. And while the City of Heroes community was naturally a bit leery at this brand new game, I think the general attitude was that everyone was at least interested to see what came of it. But then Jack opened his mouth. Again.

Jack decided the best way to hype up Champions was to lay into City of Heroes, saying the combat sucked and pretty much straight-up said that if you liked City over Champions then you must have brain problems/Stockholm Syndrome or something. Why would you prefer the inferior product (that I helped make/allegedly ruined) to my new product (that I'm making now)? :smug: Any interest I personally had in Champions plummeted to zero. What kind of dumbshit insults his own potential customer base? Jack Emmert, that's who. Frankly one wonders if he was actually trying to actively play up the animosity people had for the game around that time...except he was considered responsible for that animosity soooooo.... I remember this blowing over surprisingly easily too. I don't think I was the only one pissed off about it, but considering that Jack was still considered a boogey man on the forums people let him off the hook pretty easily.

The other Champions-related thing, not directly tied to Emmert but still really goddamn shady, was that ~mysteriously~ a number of leaders of CoH's larger SGs began receiving beta invites to Champions. Okay, so they were trying to pull people over. Fair enough, I guess. Except said invites were sent via PMs on the official City of Heroes forums. :what:

A final note: As I said, I never played CO (I briefly checked in once it went F2P on Steam and immediately hated it), but as I understand it the drama magnet that was its infamous underwater expansion...existed to plug an XP/content gap across levels....35-40. :thunk:

I can't say much more about any Jack shenanigans because obviously at that point I stopped caring, but AFAIK he hopped from each new Cryptic project to the next only to recently end up behind the wheel at DCUO as CEO.

Also feel free to correct me/fill in any gaps. I mostly kept my head down in those days so the really huge forum meltdowns mostly passed me by (or as said above, I was confused that ED was even necessary because I'd been doing it Bad Wrong the entire time like a fool).

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 11, 2019

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

"1 Hero = 3 Minions!" That was the guiding principle Jack declared to be basing balance on forever more. (I believe the unspoken assumption was also that 1 Hero = 2 Lts. or 1 Boss but I could be wrong.) Obviously this freaked everyone the hell out because it sounds preposterous. Even in the early days, 3 minions was not a big deal (assuming you were one of the two ATs that could actually fight worth a drat ) and the exponential power curve for teams was already in place. It immediately came off like Jack did not play his own game. All that said...when you look at that sort of metric on paper, like, literally on paper...it sounds like the kind of unified design you would see in a tabletop game. Hmm.

I dunno. That seems to be how it is for me in the game at the minute.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

3/4 minions or two LTs or one boss is a fairly good baseline for standard player challenge. Obviously a lot of people can do way better than that given experience and builds, but pretty much anybody should be able to tackle that level of challenge on their own (excepting some over-tuned boss types at low level).

Though thanks to the other reminders of Jack's early reign of terror, I remembered why I left my day one Invuln/SS tank lost in the Shadow Shard for a year after CoV was released: he'd gone from unstoppable Superman to every villain's punching bag by that point.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

something that's occurred to me lately is that the CoX AoE cap (i.e. how many dudes an attack can actually hit at once) seems to be 16, vs. the party size of 8. Champions has an AoE cap of 5, for a party size of 5. this, to me, is the root of so many issues

also I want to respond to bits I've skimmed out of John Murdoch's post but I'm gonna take a minute to actually read all of it

EDIT: okay yeah, that was the only thing I saw was wrong: Lemuria wasn't an expansion, it was launch content.

Lemuria never loving worked right, and in fact they had to permanently disable the zone's giant monster (the Megalodon) because it never loving worked right. most of what went wrong in Lemuria can be attributed to how poorly both players and AI navigate three-dimensional space. which is what you have to do in Lemuria, because everyone is perpetually swimming in the water, see?

I wish Jack's Grand Vision ever included a detailed answer to itemization/loot, because every approach he's had an underling design for equipment in the superhero games has been deeply flawed or just loving bad. that's right, I think enhancements are a dogshit idea, eat my rear end. perks were better.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 11, 2019

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

LordSaturn posted:

also I want to respond to bits I've skimmed out of John Murdoch's post but I'm gonna take a minute to actually read all of it

The craziest thing about the dev stories is how common poo poo like this was before WoW got it's poo poo together. Even vanilla WoW has some cult of personality/anti-fun nerf stories.

The second craziest thing is the parallels you can draw between those games and a current crop of failures. Anthem is falling into some of the same traps of fundamentally misunderstanding their own math.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

boxen posted:

Oh, good. I wanted a combo that was OP-ish, just so I can play it badly and still be pretty okay. I got a TW/Electric brute up to around 14 and was thinking it kind of sucked, glad that it picks up before long.

I was feeling OK with my TW/Ninja scrapper once I got a few attacks to string together and hasten. It REALLY starts to take off once you get build up (which gives 10 seconds of momentum) and whirling smash (a PBAOE you can only use while you have momentum). Once you get hasten and build-up's recharge time lowered your playstyle becomes big bursts of damage followed by a short windup period. Typically though you can move pack to pack and start each fight with 10 seconds of momentum.

Elec in particular pairs well with TW because TW has extreme endurance costs. Elec Armor has a relatively short cooldown "restore endurance on hit" ability. Elec armor also gets 20% global recharge speed from a passive power which is huge for TW attack chaining.

Coward posted:

I would like to play a Tank to play with my friends, mainly because I just want to herd and stand there and let my buddies who have less experience with the game have fun beating up baddies without me dominating each fight. What's the current thinking on the tankiest powerset that just stands there and holds aggro? I have already done the whole Stone Armour thing back on live - is that still the most lazy tank set?

I have a Staff/Dark Brute and I think it will be easy to run that on a Tank if you just want to stand there and hold aggro. (Is staff available on tanks in i25?)

Staff gives you a PBAOE and a cone attack very early on. Staff also gives you "form of the soul" which typically gives my brute 50% endurance cost reduction or more. This allows me to actually run all of Dark Armor's toggles at the same time. This allows you to have resistance to everything, a PBAOE ticking damage aura, a fear aura, and a disorient aura.

What this results in is being able to stand somewhere and bop everything in the vicinity with your ridiculously spinny staff animations while everything around you gets auto taunted via tank gauntlet as well as the occasional fear and disorient to mitigate even more damage by preventing enemies from attacking.

Oh you get a PBAOE heal on hit as well so you can function without a healer once you get hasten slotted and reduce the CD on Dark Regen.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 11, 2019

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

One of the big problems with the "bosses are now tougher" thing is that the intent was to slow down scrappers mulching everything. Not only did it not slow down scrappers, it put already struggling blasters even further into the weeds, because blasters had to kill everything in two volleys or die to the return fire.

Unfortunately, I do not recall when this happened relative to the revelation that scrappers had a higher damage cap than blasters, the idea being that scrappers deserved the higher damage cap because they had to get into melee to hit things. It was pointed out that, yes, they do have to get into melee to hit things, this is why they got shields and critical hits. The blaster damage cap was raised from the 400% everyone else had to share 500% with scrappers not too long after.

There's really no other way to say it: blasters sucked for the longest time, because all they had was damage, and while trading survivability for damage is perfectly fine, they didn't get enough extra damage to make up for the fact that they tended to detonate on contact with the enemy. The fact that the original version of the Blaster inherent was a bad joke didn't help.

See, you may have noticed that the five Villain ATs work well with their inherents: Brute Fury, Dominator Domination, Corruptor Scourge, Stalker Assassination, and Mastermind Supremacy. The five Hero ATs, not so much. This is because the villain ones were designed with their inherents in mind, and the hero ones were not. Scrappers always had the ability to critical hit, they just got a little icon saying so. Tankers got "punchvoke" because it was noted that tankers putting Provoke (not even Taunt, but specifically Provoke from the pools; Tanker Taunt used to be single target) on autofire to do their job was pretty lovely (also scrappers were good enough at holding and surviving aggro that tanks were left out), and I don't know when Bruising (your tier 1 attack gives -20% resist) got added but it helped some. Controllers got Containment (double damage on mezzed foes) so they could theoretically solo, and I'm not sure when Overpower (critical hit controls) happened but there's that too. Defenders got Vigilance, widely mocked as "Negligence," because getting an endurance discount as team health dropped wasn't that useful, but Defender primaries are so varied that they needed something universally useful-shaped.

And then there's Blasters and Defiance. You may know Defiance in its current incarnation, where it's kind of Fury-esque and each attack gives you a short, stacking damage buff, and also being mezzed still lets you use your tier 1 and 2 powers. But that's not what it used to do, oh no. What it did when it was first introduced as if it would help: as your health goes down, your damage goes up. I forget the exact scaling, but it was not very good, and it was rolled out alongside "great" advice like "as a blaster, try to not get healed." The fact that blasters very often went from "full HP" to "smear on the pavement" meant that this was of dubious utility at best.

This is why the Issue 24 changes to Blasters were what they were. Giving Blasters more damage was out of the question because it would've broken things too much, so they were finally going to give some survivability back. But alas, the game died before that could happen, because the universe hates blasters that much.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

John Murdoch posted:

Also feel free to correct me/fill in any gaps. I mostly kept my head down in those days so the really huge forum meltdowns mostly passed me by (or as said above, I was confused that ED was even necessary because I'd been doing it Bad Wrong the entire time like a fool).

One other thing that happened, either at the same time as ED or very close to it, is that they revamped the XP payout curve at later levels, so that everything effectively rewarded at two levels higher and you didn't need to smack things four levels above you to level at a decent pace. Naturally, this got much less attention than the ss/inv tanker with unslotted jab who couldn't AFK solo anymore.

In unrelated news, the Hollows arcs pay out pretty decent merits for baby stuff, and at some point they even put in allied flavor spawns of PPD, Longbow, and those goobers in the Legacy Chain who've never even been to a City Of Gyros.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

whatever, I'm going to yell about itemization a little:

So far as I understand it, the Old City that John Murdoch describes, the one with seven origins that was described on their website until the open beta hit, didn't have loot drops or enhancements at all. The flavor justification was alright - since when does Superman rifle through Lex Luthor's pockets after beating him? - but practically this was very unpopular. People like finding cool stuff and people like equipping cool stuff. There's various reasons for this, so yeah, clearly they needed loot, and the Enhancement system is what they came up with.

I never played Old City and enhancements didn't bug me until I saw some other solutions to the problem. Champions has Perks, which are buyable upgrades specific to each power, and a separate equipment system. (Also, actual strength/intelligence/etc stats for your equipment to buff.)

Perks, to me, are extremely good - nearly every power in the game has some weird quirk you can give it. Some of them are more obviously designed to let you build something intended by the devs (Resurgent Reiki/Elusive Monk feeding back on each other to make your dodge tank immortal) and some are a little more open-ended and thus terrible, except where you happen to be able to find a way to exploit them (the Titan Weapons equivalent powers pretty much all have a perk that adds Ignite status, which you can then exploit with a Fire power to never run out of Mana). The system could have benefitted from a more holistic design (what exactly is supposed to dovetail with what, again?) but the fact that you could inherently change how your copy of a power worked is something that City with Set IOs can only barely touch on.

But, then, this isn't an itemization system anymore, so what does Champions itemization look like? At launch, you had nine equipment slots, which would let you equip matching pieces of gear, each of which boosts your stats. But there's eight character stats, and at launch you only cared about the two relevant to your character, so virtually all found equipment is useless to you. You could fix this with crafting: mulch all the random crap you find into materials, use those materials to build equipment you actually give a poo poo about. If you were working your rear end off you could get endgame drops better than what was craftable, and there was some cool poo poo like sonic pistols that could never be crafted, but at least this way you could participate in the endgame reliably without progression grinding. They hosed with this system a couple of times, including limiting what stats could be crafted into what slots, resulting in a bunch of planning if you wanted your character to be able to use gear effectively in the endgame, but then F2P hit...

The F2P update completely hosed crafting from "something you could do, maybe" to "cash shop gatcha horseshit" with percentage chances of failure and everything. They also reduced equipment from nine slots to six and moved from two superstats to three, which honestly makes a lot of sense. They also added some special gear to the Nemesis vendors, which required a relatively painless amount of grinding to get, which would just always boost whatever your superstats were, and which was account-bound, so you could just buy one set and pass them around as needed. This did solve the problem of "what the gently caress do I wear" but puts us in a condition where casual/low-effort players essentially bypass the entire equipment system...

I think the F2P stuff was mostly a matter of the F2P publisher prompting Cryptic to fit the new business model in the accepted way, but none of the things I've described above are things that I think of with any fondness. All of these systems are broad handwaves at the idea of equipment that, in implementation, have to become hyper-generalized effectiveness boosts, to the point where there's nothing interesting about them that you can control.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Old history about Warwolves + "The universe hates blasters that much" sums up how I started to feel with my very first character's run (coming in with the Good Vs Evil edition, I got that plastic pocket D pass card somewhere) with Warwolves, yes.

"Oh the web grenade didn't work. Well at least the caltrops will... okay the landmines will surely... oh thank god web grenades finally worked-GIANT ROCK!" :gibs:

I mean, I was no stranger to death. But that stood out as feeling like I was on the wrong end of a Tom an Jerry cartoon.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So how much recharge do you need exactly for permanent hasten with a maxed-out ageless incarnate? Pines makes it look like you easily perma it but I'm assuming it's just taking the max up front recharge from ageless.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I had mentioned it in the Discord and someone asked about it again last night, so here's the poop.
Adding one of these items to your Supergroup base can give you the buff of your choice for 1 hour.
For the measly price of a couple of white salvage.

You can have multiple buffs. Like recharge reduction, flight speed increase, recovery increase etc.
The numbers are small (like 5% resist), but every little bit helps sometimes.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Empowerment_Station

Maybe at some point i'll do a little tutorial on setting up a Supergroup base and the items that are useful.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 11, 2019

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Please do.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
If Paragonwiki is accurate the Recharge Rate buff is a 20% increase, which is not bad at all.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Someone (or someones) with base building skills should hop from group to group and build bases for those of us without the skills.

My base is just an Inspiration Bin in the Entrance.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Thundarr posted:

3/4 minions or two LTs or one boss is a fairly good baseline for standard player challenge. Obviously a lot of people can do way better than that given experience and builds, but pretty much anybody should be able to tackle that level of challenge on their own (excepting some over-tuned boss types at low level).

The problem is that it was a rubric seemingly pasted onto the game after the fact and never represented reality very well at all. There's too many moving parts involved from inconsistency within enemy groups, inconsistency within level ranges (ie, why nobody likes to fight Circle for a solid 20 level block), the mostly-randomized nature of spawns, a shitload of balance problems (enemy -Def is entirely too common and/or too potent, particularly at lower levels), additional edge cases like how early on Toxic damage wasn't even actually a thing yet, on top of the very obvious fact that the ATs were not created equal, nor were powersets. Oh, and that whole exponential team power thing.

It was also just kind of declared to the playerbase without much context. Obviously there needs to be some kind of assumed baseline, but telling an army of Scrappers that, actually, they should be about as strong as 3 minions sounds like "I'm about to nerf the poo poo out of your AT" because Scrappers were more than happy to jump into mobs of minions 3x that size and eat them for lunch. Same thing for Tankers to an extent. Meanwhile Controllers and Defenders were ailing and Blasters were a coin flip.

Nowadays between power creep and AT improvements like the damage component of Vigilance it's even more up in the air.

(This is also not to be confused with the promise made alongside the introduction of Inventions that SOs were considered the baseline for combat balance. That seems to have remained mostly true.)

MechaCrash posted:

One of the big problems with the "bosses are now tougher" thing is that the intent was to slow down scrappers mulching everything. Not only did it not slow down scrappers, it put already struggling blasters even further into the weeds, because blasters had to kill everything in two volleys or die to the return fire.

Unfortunately, I do not recall when this happened relative to the revelation that scrappers had a higher damage cap than blasters, the idea being that scrappers deserved the higher damage cap because they had to get into melee to hit things. It was pointed out that, yes, they do have to get into melee to hit things, this is why they got shields and critical hits. The blaster damage cap was raised from the 400% everyone else had to share 500% with scrappers not too long after.

There's really no other way to say it: blasters sucked for the longest time, because all they had was damage, and while trading survivability for damage is perfectly fine, they didn't get enough extra damage to make up for the fact that they tended to detonate on contact with the enemy. The fact that the original version of the Blaster inherent was a bad joke didn't help.

I actually seem to remember some Scrappers even reporting problems, which may have been why people flipped out extra hard.

Though this also reminds me of more innovations that made the whole process of dying to a suped-up boss even worse - no ability to combine inspirations and the only place to buy them was from contacts, and even then you needed to have their relationship progressed enough to unlock their full inventory. Oh, sorry, is your contact a mile away in a totally different zone? Get moving, idiot.

I think the one positive to come out of it was that it helped usher in the difficulty slider, which pointedly had the -1 option to help accommodate struggling players while real pros could choose to crank it way up. Much better than a hamhanded kludge of brick wall bosses.

Actually, on the subject of Blasters and Defiance:

- The original argument for how Blasters were supposed to work was that range = defense. Now, in very, very broad strokes there are design rules in play that ranged attacks are supposed to be weaker than melee attacks. However, in practice, this doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot when you're made of tissue paper and alleged "weak" ranged attacks are being multiplied by the number of enemies in a mob. (And if you're being shot with a gun, you will be continue to be shot with guns because all guns do -Def for whatever reason.) Also, most hard mez powers? Ranged attacks. Oops. There's also the fact that enemies can close into melee pretty effortlessly unless you're literally floating in mid-air, and even then tight indoor maps help prevent that from working 100% of the time. Plus Blasters have this whole crazy secondary powerset instead of just ranged damage, and said powersets are stuffed with....melee attacks. :downs:

- One of the ideas for Defiance that got tossed out the window quickly was for Blasters to gain an increasing damage buff the longer they stood still. Castle rightfully pointed out that such a conditional buff could also be thought of as a functional damage penalty for wanting to move around (in a game where you kinda always want to be moving around at least a little bit), which blew Miller's mind. Fury-lite is incredibly boring but it's better than needing to plant your feet in order to get anything done.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 11, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

Someone (or someones) with base building skills should hop from group to group and build bases for those of us without the skills.

My base is just an Inspiration Bin in the Entrance.

Mine is really generic with just useful items, noting really for aesthetics.
Ask me ingame and i'll give you the code to look around mine if you want.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

John Murdoch posted:

And if you're being shot with a gun, you will be continue to be shot with guns because all guns do -Def for whatever reason.

Only burst-fire weapons. The cheapo revolvers and shotguns that the hellions have don't seem to have that component, nor do the sniper rifles some council members do. SMGs and Chainguns and the like have the -def component, theoretically because they're sending a lot of lead flying and it's hard to dodge (Even though the mechanics don't really bear that out in a way that makes sense, since they have to actually tag you for the -def to do anything, but you can kinda see the line of thought involved.

Machinegun Arm!
Oct 22, 2008

It's been a ruff day
I have some vague memory that stuff like rains and patches did very well with Corrupters because they were pets rather than normal powers, and thus buffed/debuffed/hit at full strength instead of at Corrupter numbers, can anyone confirm this? I'm interested in making a Storm character and if I can have all the really cool powers operating at Defender numbers while also being able to do damage with my primary I'd be psyched.

Also, does anyone know a fun/active pairing with either Archery or Trick Arrow? I have a costume design that looks rad as hell for using a bow but I leveled an Archery/Ninja blaster to like 23 before I got pretty sick of just sitting back and blasting.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Crasical posted:

Only burst-fire weapons. The cheapo revolvers and shotguns that the hellions have don't seem to have that component, nor do the sniper rifles some council members do. SMGs and Chainguns and the like have the -def component, theoretically because they're sending a lot of lead flying and it's hard to dodge (Even though the mechanics don't really bear that out in a way that makes sense, since they have to actually tag you for the -def to do anything, but you can kinda see the line of thought involved.

Is that why my Mercs MM seems to kill poo poo so much faster than my ninjas or zombies?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Setting up a SuperGroup and base.

Supergroups back in the day were a coalition of nerds for roleplaying their darkest desires.
Now its just a drat useful place to have in our City of Heroes/Villains/whateverthehellPraetoriansare
https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Supergroup

To start a Supergroup go to City Hall in Atlas Park or the Arachnos Building in Port Oakes and talk to the registrar there to set up your Supergroup.
https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Super_Group_Registrar

Be sure to edit the group name, emblem, pick permissions and SG colors (if they aren't both black you are doing it wrong).
For permissions I give Leader and Commander everything. I don't have plans on inviting others to my group but you never know.

Use /altinvite alt name to invite all of your many, many alts and then promote them to Commander. This will give you the ability to do things like edit your base on any alt rather than having to jump back to the alt you created the SG on every time you want to add something
Using /sg_passcode evil or your own password and check in the Global chat tab and it will give you your actual passcode. Mine was EVIL-3308 which anyone can use to get into and look around your base.

So now go to the base portal which should be in nearly every zone but the lovely ones. Like Eden or Cascade Archipelago.
Enter and you will be dropped into a small room with a portal and a tab that lets you Edit Base or Upgrade Plot.
Bases are free now, click on Upgrade Plot and upgrade that fucker to Massive Secure Complex and click the exit button.
They used to cost Prestige which you got by doing missions while being in Supergroup mode. The more people in your SG, the more Prestige you made and therefore the more crap for your base you could buy.
It is now ALL FREE.

Now click on the Edit Base button.
FYI you CANNOT get rid of that first 4x4 room. You don't have to use it, but you cannot get rid of it.

Here you can add rooms to your base, You CAN add rooms and use Doorways to connect them together (which is what I did).
OR you can add a really big room and by clicking on floor sections you can raise and lower each section to the ceiling to create the illusion of halls and rooms.
I may do some rearranging to do that with mine. Doorways don't mesh well with rooms for some reason. And are missing floorboards and are darker.

By clicking on the Object button you can raise or lower sections to however you want by clicking add or remove.

Click on the Pick Style button and you can choose floor, wall sections and ceiling design for the room you are in and apply it to your whole base with another button.

Also, under High Ceilings choose Open Sky for an actual sky rather than a ceiling.
On the left click on Options > Default Sky to choose an actual sky design.

Choose the Place Item button on the left to start adding actual items to your base. FYI see here for keys to move and rotate items.https://imgur.com/a/y4X1fbQ

I will be suggesting items from the Tech Sections, you can probably translate that to the Magic sections on your own.
Except for one or two items.

Basic items that I find useful.
Arcane Workshop > Pillar of Ice and Flame: Grants Ouroboros Missions.
Tech Workshop > Merit Rewards ATM: basic Merit Rewards Vendor. Does not have P2W items
Tech Workshop > Mission Computer: gives you access to supergroup missions. not sure, haven't really touched it.
Tech Workshop > Enhancement table, lets you store Enh for transfer between alts, put in many.
Tech Workshop > Salvage Racks, if you store for use later instead of selling, put in many.
Tech Workshop > Inspiration Collector, storage of Inspirations, just dump a few in when you are full after a mission and you can grab later when you are stopping by your base for easy transport between zones.
Tech Workshop > Personal Storage Vault, more salvage storage, can also be accessed by clicking on your Storage tab > Vault reserve
Tech Workshop > Supercollider, as mentioned in a previous post can give you buffs for cheap
Tech Workshop > Invention Worktable, same item found at the University. This is where you make IOs.
Tech Medical > Basic Reclaimator, when you die you can teleport here instead of the Hospital, useful for when you want to grab a quick buff after a team wipe.

NPCs tab > the whole first 10 or so are good, Nurse for buying Inspirations at your base, your own Trainer, Quartermaster or Tailor (cannot modify height, still need surgeon for that)

Teleports
Make a section for Teleporters and you will make your life easier.
Add Beacons for each zone and add any Teleport item near it (of which there are many styles large and small). I think each Teleporter item has a maximum of 10 Beacons. Usually you can add a Beacon to the wall and when you drop a Teleporter near it the Beacon will turn Yellow to show that there is a connection. Add the Teleporter after Beacons have been put down or simply reselect the Teleporter item and move it to select all near unconnected Beacons.

You can do it any style you want, I put all Levels together or you can split Villain and Hero sides up. Its your choice.

Here is mine, Sure its not pretty but its useful, DON'T JUDGE ME!!!

FYI you can use Aleph Points and Teleporters to separate rooms and teleport in between rather than use hallways.

There we go, basics of base, though not a base building tutorial. I haven.t really gotten into that.
I am fairly certain that we do NOT need power any more, though I shoved a small generator in another room just in case.

You can lower floors and add water if you like.
Choose the Place Item button on the left and you will get a search box, just search for water (or any other item) to find it to add.
Give your place life by adding a crapload of NPCs talking on phones or playing pool.

Now you have the ability to make your own safe secure little world and never venture out into the light again.

As always please let me know if I missed anything or made some kind of bizarre error.

Edit: Homecoming base builders guide. https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,4560.0.html

Edit 2: Imgur gallery on Base Basics
https://imgur.com/a/y4X1fbQ

A (more indepth) Guide on Base Teleporters with pics
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/6402-raevyns-guide-to-base-teleporters-or-see-the-world-on-less-than-5-inf-a-day/

A video guide on base building.
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/10126-base-building-video-guide/

A look at others bases for ideas.
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/859-show-off/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 23, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crasical posted:

I'm reasonably certain low level Longbow that use pistols inflict -Def. Also if the new Skulls are using Dual Pistols attacks, those probably have it too. Council Marksmen (the normal minion type, not the rare sniper classed ones) don't inflict -Def but they are one of my top examples of a minion type that can be absolutely horrifying to encounter in numbers, especially as a squishy.

The thing is -Def gets attached as a rider on kind everything and anything, so it's hard to pin down what it's meant to represent. Could be supposed to be a suppressive fire kind of thing, but oops now here's a Tsoo hitting you with a sword, and here's a Vahzilok hitting you with radiation, and so on and so on. There's also the fact that -Res debuffs from enemies were just Not a thing in the early days for whatever reason, and stayed extremely low key even when they did first appear via the Council takeover.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

OgNar posted:

Tech Workshop > Mission Computer: gives you access to supergroup missions. not sure, haven't really touched it.

What this actually does is allow you to buy any Tip/Morality mission of your choice for 1 Reward Merit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also handy tip if you want things to look sleek: Don't forget by loving with room clipping you can just stick all your beacons somewhere dumb (inside a wall, outside the room, in the floor, whatever) and they'll still be attached.

I believe as I've heard it told, very occasionally an item still requires power/control (probably the old base raid turrets and junk if I had to guess, needs those resources to look powered up), but otherwise you don't need them anymore. Also, any item that gives one just gives a hundred of both or w/e so you don't have to gently caress with it too much even then.

That said...a lot of those old power and control devices look pretty dope.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Do the base hospitals still work? I remember trying it and it being one of the ones that said it still needed power, but even powered it didn't seem to do anything.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Do the base hospitals still work? I remember trying it and it being one of the ones that said it still needed power, but even powered it didn't seem to do anything.

I have used it on multiple occasions. It may even work without the actual item. I forget, but you can TP to base on death.
Its an unclickable item though, doesn't hurt to shove one in.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

John Murdoch posted:

I'm reasonably certain low level Longbow that use pistols inflict -Def. Also if the new Skulls are using Dual Pistols attacks, those probably have it too. Council Marksmen (the normal minion type, not the rare sniper classed ones) don't inflict -Def but they are one of my top examples of a minion type that can be absolutely horrifying to encounter in numbers, especially as a squishy.

The thing is -Def gets attached as a rider on kind everything and anything, so it's hard to pin down what it's meant to represent. Could be supposed to be a suppressive fire kind of thing, but oops now here's a Tsoo hitting you with a sword, and here's a Vahzilok hitting you with radiation, and so on and so on. There's also the fact that -Res debuffs from enemies were just Not a thing in the early days for whatever reason, and stayed extremely low key even when they did first appear via the Council takeover.

It's totally possible that the Paragon Wiki has things wrong but the only pistol-wielding Longbow agent listed doesn't have -def as a rider. Nor do the player equivalent dual pistols attacks for either thugs MMs or the actual Dual Pistols blast set, so it'd be... unusual, if the skulls had that added specifically for their NPC equivalents. You are correct in that they use -def as the default rider for a number of things (Bladed Weapons, saturation bullet attacks, radiation), and admittedly the first and last are a bit odd. I have to assume the thing with bladed weapons is supposed to be a sunder-armor thing but that would be better as -res, which I (again) assume they were scared to give to players, and it being the Radiation rider is just confusing. It might be just not really being sure what to give each 'flavor' of attack to give it its own identity.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The "default" ammo on DP is -def as it's rider (as opposed to fire damage, slow, or -dam for incendiary, cryo, or poison), at least; whether that passes onto Skulls who don't get the swap ammo power, I dunno.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
For base storage enhancement tables are very, very efficient since they allow you to store 100 enhancements. Considering how most IO's take anywhere between 2-4 salvage to make that's a lot of IO's. Meanwhile there's tons of freakin' salvage out there and salvage racks only store 100 pieces of it. That's not a lot of space if you like crafting IO's.

Currently my setup for storage (since you only have 18 slots a room) is:

1x Personal Storage
1x Inspiration Collector
2x Enhancement tables, 1 for level 30 IO's and 1 for level 50's
14x Salvage Racks.

For ideas on sorting I went with this metric:
For common salvage I go by useful enhancement materials: one rack each for Accuracy, Damage, Endurance Mod, Recharge, Heal/Absorb and Resist Damage/Defense Mod (defense mod is a little weird.) Also one left over for sticking Rubies in because Rubies are weird.
Yellow's get sorted by the alphabet, 10 per stack of them so I can get ten stacks of them in a rack. That takes up like, 3-4 and a half racks.
Oranges are all still in a single rack still, they're pretty rare.

John Murdoch posted:

That said...a lot of those old power and control devices look pretty dope.

I made a power room and stuck like, a fusion generator, a couple of cool power things and one of every cool looking computer thingy in there just in case. Should be more than you ever need, even if you don't need any at all!

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

spectralent posted:

The "default" ammo on DP is -def as it's rider (as opposed to fire damage, slow, or -dam for incendiary, cryo, or poison), at least; whether that passes onto Skulls who don't get the swap ammo power, I dunno.

Shame on me for not noticing that, I've been leveling a DP/Ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Crasical posted:

Shame on me for not noticing that, I've been leveling a DP/Ninja.

How are you building for that? I’m leveling one right now.