Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Narsham posted:

a minimal amount of house-rules necessary: most of those actually involve optional rules like how to handle encumbrance.

Oh, I seem to have spotted the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Miftan posted:

Is it possible to play a Shadow Monk as a face/con man type character or would I be spreading myself too thin on stats and not have enough proficiencies to pull it off? Changeling as the race, fwiw

If I'm playing a non-charisma class and I want to be a face, I'm gonna talk to the DM about using variant skill check rules (see PHB pg. 175). Instead of trying to charm people, I'm going to use my empathy to understand their position, their desires, their insecurities, etc., and I'm going to craft a message that speaks to that so I can make a Wisdom(Persuasion) check instead of a Charisma one.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If I'm playing a non-charisma class and I want to be a face, I'm gonna talk to the DM about using variant skill check rules (see PHB pg. 175). Instead of trying to charm people, I'm going to use my empathy to understand their position, their desires, their insecurities, etc., and I'm going to craft a message that speaks to that so I can make a Wisdom(Persuasion) check instead of a Charisma one.

I doubt this will fly, but it's a cool idea.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I mean, I'd let it roll. Charismatic people are naturally charming, but an empathetic person can gather a lot of trust. A cult leader vs. a therapist.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Miftan posted:

It's a rule right there in the book. People oddly act like Strength (Intimidate) is the only one you can do just because it's the example they used.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like this is the kind of thing we're just not supposed to question, but... in most D&D settings, dragons were created directly as they are (or very close to it) by deities or other forces, and did not evolve from an earlier life form. So where did wyverns, drakes, and other "relatives" even come from? Did wizards make them? Was there just a really perverted dragon back in the day?

Like they barely explain where dragonborn come from, and that's a player race.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My best guess would be 'dragons are divine creations, wyverns etc are evolved'.

Inasmuch as evolution is even a thing in D&D worlds.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

thespaceinvader posted:

My best guess would be 'dragons are divine creations, wyverns etc are evolved'.

Inasmuch as evolution is even a thing in D&D worlds.

Ok but where does the link come in? Did wyverns and drakes and dragon turtles evolve from Dragons? Like... what on earth kind of natural selection would account for that.

Sorry I know this is nitpicky nerd poo poo even for this subforum but I can't stop thinking about how little sense it makes.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Ok but where does the link come in? Did wyverns and drakes and dragon turtles evolve from Dragons? Like... what on earth kind of natural selection would account for that.

Sorry I know this is nitpicky nerd poo poo even for this subforum but I can't stop thinking about how little sense it makes.

God of evolution lets all her prototypes, beta versions, trial runs, etc out just in case something cool happens.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Convergent evolution is the argument I'm making. In this world, dragons were created, and entirely independently, dragonlike giant lizard thingies evolved.

but the whole idea of evolution in D&D universes is nonsensical anyway so

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Lurdiak posted:

Was there just a really perverted dragon back in the day?

I mean considering there's half-dragons, and a lot of sorcerers have dragon blood, I imagine dragons like fuckin non-dragons a lot.

Lurdiak posted:

Like they barely explain where dragonborn come from, and that's a player race.

I happened to fall down a youtube hole about lore, and while it's not explained in the PHB or anything, I think the dragonborn origin story varies by setting. If I remember right there's some bit about how in forgotten realms dragons deliberately created dragonborn to be a slave race, that eventually overthrew their masters and went off on their own. So despite being related and similar to dragons, they hate them because of it. To the point that dragonborn who worship Bahamut, despite being the good dragon god, are outcasts from society.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We're talking about perverted dragons like humans would be any less inclined to get it on with dragons.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's probably also worth noting that many if not most dragons can take humanoid forms...

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Azza Bamboo posted:

We're talking about perverted dragons like humans would be any less inclined to get it on with dragons.

Look I've been on DeviantArt too, we know.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I wanted to play a knowledge cleric in a friend's upcoming campaign. I'd originally been thinking of fun things to do with a Kenku, but I didn't like that Knowledge Cleric put me in a tension between dumping spare points into INT for better Knowledge skills or CHA for better mimicry, so I looked at the Ghostwise Halfling.

With that and a Courtier background, I could speak six languages!!! and that would expand the use of my telepathy ability from Ghostwise. So I started thinking about why he's a courtier and settled on being kind of a foreign advisor and curiosity/showpiece gifted to a local satrap or vizier or whatever. I got really into the idea before realizing "god drat it, I just invented Tyrion Lannister."

I think if I do an accent far from England, I can cover it up anyway.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Oh, I seem to have spotted the problem.

By all means, regale us with a tale of how 5e is massively broken as a rules-set. I have plenty about 4e, even after 140 pages of rules patches, but this is a 5e thread.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Out of curiosity, what levels have you played 5e? Also what was the first edition you played?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Miftan posted:

If you think another framing might sell it better, ask to do the same thing but instead of an empathic listener and strategic speaker, be a philosopher and Socrates people into seeing things your way.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you think another framing might sell it better, ask to do the same thing but instead of an empathic listener and strategic speaker, be a philosopher and Socrates people into seeing things your way.

I'm a philosophy graduate so my dm would ban that on principle. I am looking at different skills checks though or just going as an arcane trickster rogue. That way I don't have to manage ki, either.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Is it just me or is Dispell Magic utterly useless?

I have it on my characters in both the STK and CoS campaigns that I'm in, and anytime it seems like it'd come in handy, the DM's like "naw, it does nothing."
It's a real piss-off, because it's such a waste of a slot, too.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

P.d0t posted:

I have it on my characters in both the STK and CoS campaigns that I'm in, and anytime it seems like it'd come in handy, the DM's like "naw, it does nothing."

Get a better DM because that's one of the dopest spells that exists.

Spoiler: It also deletes simulacrums and outranges counterspell.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

P.d0t posted:

In what contexts are you trying to use it?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Get a better DM because that's one of the dopest spells that exists.

Spoiler: It also deletes simulacrums and outranges counterspell.
Some people consider it the second best level 3 spell behind counterspell and that's the level with fireball so yeah i would blame the gm too.
"Choose one creature, object, or magical effect within range. Any spell of 3rd level or lower on the target ends" is pretty clear.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

How do people feel about dipping 1 level of wizard in Knowledge Cleric to get a bunch of rituals, Shield, reuse of a level 1 slot, and cantrips? I'd wanna wait to see what the group looks like before committing to it, but it seems like a pretty sweet deal for deferring your spell advancement by one level.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

P.d0t posted:

The only reason I think you'd run into issues is if you're using it on DM-created artifacts or that sort of thing, which often have nebulous abilities that are outside the spell tier structure. This is more of a mechanical issue than a usage one, since the DM should be figuring out appropriate equations for you. In any case, even if you are using it when the DM doesn't think it should work, they should be giving you more feedback about it. "You cast Dispel on the magic fog, which clears and provides a brief view of the outside world before clouding once more. The ambient spell magic is simply too powerful for Dispel to work as intended, but you do gain a better understanding of it - the magic fog was from the abjuration school, is 40 ft thick and appears to stretch for miles in each direction. Its magic is likely being generated by ..."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

In what contexts are you trying to use it?

So in CoS, along the road we ran into a big ...sphere-ish area of magical darkness (but not necessarily "Magical" "Darkness") and the spell did nothing to it. I think we ended up using Daylight instead.
In our last session in the Amber Temple, we found the skeleton dude in the hidden library place. We were able to tell that magic was affecting his brain and giving him the constant memory loss (or whatever the gently caress was going on there) but trying to dispel the magic had no effect.

In STK (and this may have been an unrelated homebrew side-quest, so YMMV) but our cleric touched some sort of evil statue, and got possessed by some sort of ghost or w/e. Again, Dispell Magic didn't help.

It feels like Remove Curse or Greater Restoration are useful more regularly, despite being narrower in scope.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Dispel Magic is great whenever you explicitly have an NPC casting spells or using magic.

Nebulous curse effects or monster abilities don't fall under that heading.

It sounds like your DM doesnt use a lot of NPC spellcasters so... mixed blessing?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

P.d0t posted:

So in CoS, along the road we ran into a big ...sphere-ish area of magical darkness (but not necessarily "Magical" "Darkness") and the spell did nothing to it. I think we ended up using Daylight instead.
In our last session in the Amber Temple, we found the skeleton dude in the hidden library place. We were able to tell that magic was affecting his brain and giving him the constant memory loss (or whatever the gently caress was going on there) but trying to dispel the magic had no effect.

In STK (and this may have been an unrelated homebrew side-quest, so YMMV) but our cleric touched some sort of evil statue, and got possessed by some sort of ghost or w/e. Again, Dispell Magic didn't help.

It feels like Remove Curse or Greater Restoration are useful more regularly, despite being narrower in scope.

1. Yeah it's an effect that's not being caused by a spell, but as previously mentioned the DM should've allowed it to do something.
2. Okay in this case it wouldn't do anything because the reason skeleton dude has memory loss is that he's not eaten anything in a long time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, Dispel is much more useful for enemy spellcasters, than for nebulous plot stuff.

A good DM will let it work on nebulous plot stuff anyway, thought.

But as noted, it shouldn't work on stuff that it just doesn't apply to, either way. It seems like you just got unlucky.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
For context, playing my first DnD campaign in many years right now as an Oath of Ancients Paladin and have decided that mounted combat sounds fun so I took the Mounted Combatant feat when I hit level 4 last night after talking to my DM about how he'd handle Find Steed working.

I would just like to comment that in my journey to figure out how this stupid spell works I have developed a hatred of Jeremy Crawford who has issued three distinct, contradictory rulings on how the mount works via twitter. For one it's a terrible platform for this purpose but how is a senior game designer so bad at this poo poo?

Pendent fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 11, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Crawford has stated he has a bad memory.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Then he shouldn't be the one doing these alleged clarifications.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

A puzzle structured with "something magical gets your attention" as the hook, which leads to an investigation and discovering something interesting, which leads to the magical conundrum being resolved is a pretty common plot in fantasy. Tossing a Dispel Magic ruins that whole adventure if it actually works.

Magic that is just an obstacle meant to be bypassed or suffered through, Dispel away... it was never plot relevant, it was just encounter relevant.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Pendent posted:

For context, playing my first DnD campaign in many years right now as an Oath of Ancients Paladin and have decided that mounted combat sounds fun so I took the Mounted Combatant feat when I hit level 4 last night after talking to my DM about how he'd handle Find Steed working.

I would just like to comment that in my journey to figure out how this stupid spell works I have developed a hatred of Jeremy Crawford who has issued three distinct, contradictory rulings on how the mount works via twitter. For one it's a terrible platform for this purpose but how is a senior game designer so bad at this poo poo?

I've personally given up on mounted combat since I've never been able to figure out how it works.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, Dispel is much more useful for enemy spellcasters, than for nebulous plot stuff.

See, and intuitively it seemed to me like the opposite would be true: Dispel Magic should be to plot, what Counter-spell is to enemy spellcasters.
:shrug:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

P.d0t posted:

See, and intuitively it seemed to me like the opposite would be true: Dispel Magic should be to plot, what Counter-spell is to enemy spellcasters.

Dispel and Counterspell are both anti-enemy-spellcaster, but they have different functions, one is reactive the other is proactive, just like MIrror Image and Shield are both anti-enemy-attack, but with different purposes.

FWIW though, I'd agree that it would be a lot, LOT better to have one 'stop enemy casting' spell which can fulfil both functions, and cut out the cruft of having both, but then it Wouldn't Be D&D™

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

P.d0t posted:

They serve different purposes with enemy spell casters. Counterspell stops new spells from arriving dispel gets rid of precast buffs and terrain effects and what not.

However, dispel isn't nearly as powerful as it was in 3.5 and its analogs, where a single cast of dispel could take 30 minutes to resolve because of all the effects it was breaking.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Twitter doesn't though, he could always do basic searches before he gives answers.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Counterspell just shouldn't exist TBQH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Twitter doesn't though, he could always do basic searches before he gives answers.

Alternately they should put FAQs up on their own site instead of on Twitter, a site which may very well me the worst platform I can think of for such a thing.