Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Good Omens mainly feels like it was a product of Pratchett's to me frankly, especially as it's far funnier and better written any of the novels Gaiman released after he finished writing Sandman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Terry did most of the stuff with Them, while Gaiman did more of the Crowley/Aziraphale bits.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

wooger posted:

Why is it on Amazon Prime on the UK then? Just weird. Same with Killing Eve series 2, still not out in the UK.

Killing Eve is a BBC America show, which is a completely seperate thing. It's just a bought show for BBC in the UK.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Wonder if Worldwide give them mates rates?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Killing Eve is a BBC America show, which is a completely seperate thing. It's just a bought show for BBC in the UK.

I thought the point of BBC Worldwide was get money for distributing BBC owner content.

What is the argument for any part of the BBC not producing content that license payers can access?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

wooger posted:

I thought the point of BBC Worldwide was get money for distributing BBC owner content.

What is the argument for any part of the BBC not producing content that license payers can access?

Probably gets them around some terms in the license fee with commercial deals.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

wooger posted:

BBC America isn’t part of the BBC really. Half owned by AMC

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
GOOD OMENS is unbearably twee at times and there was no reason that Sheen and Tennant couldn't just use their real accents.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DrVenkman posted:

GOOD OMENS is unbearably twee at times and there was no reason that Sheen and Tennant couldn't just use their real accents.

What’s Sheen’s real accent?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

What’s Sheen’s real accent?

He's Welsh.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DrVenkman posted:

Americans aren't great with Welsh/Scottish accents, I think Gaiman went for English voices because of that.
After all, they changed the "Trafalgar Square" line to be a times square one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone watching Years and Years? It's pretty good...

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

Americans aren't great with Welsh/Scottish accents, I think Gaiman went for English voices because of that.
After all, they changed the "Trafalgar Square" line to be a times square one.

As an American I wanted to argue this, but then I remembered Jodi Whittaker's 1st line as The Doctor was "ah blah blah". I literally had to look online to see wtf she said.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

mcmagic posted:

Anyone watching Years and Years? It's pretty good...

I was wondering about that myself; I haven't watched it myself, but I've heard a lot of people talking about it, but it does seem to be... very Russel T. Davis, alas.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Years and Years is very RTD, with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer you'd expect from his stuff. With that said, the cast is good and there are some great moments. The end of the first episode, for example is chilling.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So ITV have made a drama with Rob Lowe as the star. He plays an American cop who moves to Boston Lincs.

Can the novelty of Rob Lowe overweight the stench of the typical ITV drama?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh god nobody tell him about the age of consent laws.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

So ITV have made a drama with Rob Lowe as the star. He plays an American cop who moves to Boston Lincs.

Can the novelty of Rob Lowe overweight the stench of the typical ITV drama?

what are the odds that they've paid Dropkick Murphys for the title and/or theme song

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Jesus I finally ended up seeing an episode of Love Island, I know its nothing new to complain about reality TV but the amount of talking without anything being said, it feels like a fake show you'd see in a Black Mirror episode or something.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Annabel Pee posted:

Jesus I finally ended up seeing an episode of Love Island, I know its nothing new to complain about reality TV but the amount of talking without anything being said, it feels like a fake show you'd see in a Black Mirror episode or something.

It's really something to think of how hard that show was rejected by the public during its first 2 series and now it's become a phenomenon somehow.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Its really good

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love Island

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Taskmaster - it petered out a bit towards the end but the first half of the episode was great. Paul int he phone box looked like someone who had just been discovered after six months being hweld hostage..

Wild Bill. Rob Lowe just about carried it. It doesn't seem to know where it wants to be on the serious-comedy scale but it had it's moments. But the usual too frequently slap-dash plotting and set design are indefinable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've been re-watching Yonderland because I never managed to see the third season and because it's lots of fun. I'm going to say it's better than Ghosts just because it doesn't feel like it leans too much on the same joke even though it's got some catchphrases.
It's a real shame it was wasted on Sky rather than being on another channel.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So Paul Sinha has Parkinson's disease, which might cast some of Taskmaster in a sadder light ☹️

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BizarroAzrael posted:

So Paul Sinha has Parkinson's disease, which might cast some of Taskmaster in a sadder light ☹️

It did look like he was a bit more disconcerted than you'd expect about not getting the card order task 100% correct.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Having grown up in the 90s I always wondered what happened to Tony Slattery, who seemed to be on everything then vanished in an instant. He was recently interviewed in the Guardian, and it's pretty horrible and sad:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/apr/29/tony-slattery-had-very-happy-time-went-slightly-barmy

Vrih
Apr 4, 2004
:)

Brown Moses posted:

Having grown up in the 90s I always wondered what happened to Tony Slattery, who seemed to be on everything then vanished in an instant. He was recently interviewed in the Guardian, and it's pretty horrible and sad:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/apr/29/tony-slattery-had-very-happy-time-went-slightly-barmy

Iain Lee interviewed Tony Slattery and moments of it are absolutely heartbreaking. https://player.fm/series/the-late-n...s-and-addiction

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh god poor guy. Hope something good comes his way.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

What do people make of Matt Berry's Year of the Rabbit?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Pablo Bluth posted:

It looks pretty questionable but I’m willing to give it a chance as costume-comedy is somewhat rare and it has some good people in it

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Bluth posted:

Episode 1 suffered from pilotitis. It took a long time setting everyone's modes. Episode 2 was hilarious.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how Matt Berry shows are basically like Quantum Leap, same dude just wakes up in a different body and era and just has to get on with it with his usual personality.

E: also all the episodes are on the streaming platform if you don’t want to wait each week.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like how Matt Berry shows are basically like Quantum Leap, same dude just wakes up in a different body and era and just has to get on with it with his usual personality.

Well, since Matt Berry is a centuries-old vampire, it's conceivable he's been all those characters at different times as cover. (Being Rabbit and also Jack The Ripper is interesting)

AMA about my Expanded Berryverse theories.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

How does Snuffbox fit into those theories?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

SeanBeansShako posted:

gently caress you.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I needed that fragile object!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
It's the only sketch I can remember from Snuffbox, must revisit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's still pretty dark and crude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SeanBeansShako posted:

idk they're all still Matt, it's a while since I watched it. He's definitely both the past (Sir Charles) and present versions though (because vampire)

e: From noted good internet place TVTropes:

quote:

Time Travel: Once an Episode, Rich goes through a door marked "1888", which takes him to Victorian London where he meets the club's founder and Matt's great-uncle, Sir Charles Berry, who gives him advice and showers him in prostitutes. Sir Charles is subtly intended to be Jack the Ripper.

It all makes sense!

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 20, 2019