Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Them going "We will make sure all the Galar dex is in on release, and down the line add in the rest" wouldn't be perfect but at least acceptable.

This isn't a dealbreaker to me personally, but Home better be something more than just Bank 2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zore posted:

Pokemon is the single most profitable franchise in existence right now and I refuse to believe it is beyond their ability to have a couple hundred models updated every 5-10 years.
isn't pokemon, like, singlehandedly the reason the 2DS sold as much as it did

pokemon loving prints money. each one of us in this thread is actively bitching about it, but they've got us by the balls so hard that I guaran-loving-tee it'll be a day one purchase for most of us.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Impid Imp from the side:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

especially considering the press conference a couple weeks back where they were like "we know it's super important to y'all to be able to bring your pokemon forward, since you've been consistently doing so since gen 3, which is why we're going to all this effort for pokemon home"

lmao yeah

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Impidimp looks like the mascot of a franchise that predates Pokemon but came out in the US after Pokemon so everyone calls it a ripoff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It looks like a cartoon character from like Ren and Stimpy.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe you should read the thread and find out what people are expecting instead of dropping a hottake into the thread and dismissing everybody's very valid opinions

Seriously this is a dick post.

You win the internet Takoluka you're a very cool edgy guy and much cooler than us!

This wasn't even a hot take, my guy. Calm down. A hot take would be "The primary focus of the Pokémon series now is the multiplayer meta-game, and it is better for them to exclude monsters like a TCG rotation than to focus all their resources on balancing and rebalancing 900+ Pokémon every day until Gen 9 while getting yelled at by Worlds competitors and Smogon."

I understand the want to have total freedom with Home, and it does suck if you've had a monster since Gen 3 that suddenly can't transfer because it just happens to not be in the Galar dex. That would be terrible! But there are people in here speculating that a stock market fluctuation was the result of a large section of the Pokémon fandom lashing out because their Pokémon is *potentially* gated for an indeterminate amount of time, and that's kind of doomsaying is really silly.

That's just my thoughts on it. I'm sorry that I made you upset.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It looks like it has a vestigial body, and like Snivy, will lose it when it evolves. It'll just be a weird floating Devilman head and we'll all be uncomfortable but reluctantly using him for his offensive abilities.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Impidimp reminds me of a kid-friendly version of SMT Incubus.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Chill Penguin posted:

Exactly, look at Lucario of all Pokémon, an ostensibly popular one that would likely get any extra animation dev time, use Bulk Up in the treehouse gameplay. It does the same generic "hands push forward" animation it uses for every other attack.

I tuned in to the Treehouse, saw Scorbunny face off against a Bunnelby, use Double Kick which consisted of Scorbunny continue to do its idle animation while one glowing foot appeared on the enemy and then the other, rolled my eyes, and closed the video.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I soft-reset for a shiny Poipole and then gamefreak played a cruel joke on me and released it for everyone :shepface:

Now I probably won’t be able to transfer it over for the foreseeable future :negative:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I tuned in to the Treehouse, saw Scorbunny face off against a Bunnelby, use Double Kick which consisted of Scorbunny continue to do its idle animation while one glowing foot appeared on the enemy and then the other, rolled my eyes, and closed the video.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It looks like it has a vestigial body, and like Snivy, will lose it when it evolves. It'll just be a weird floating Devilman head and we'll all be uncomfortable but reluctantly using him for his offensive abilities.

Exactly my thought, lovin' this weird little gremlin.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Behold, a true console experience. I for one am glad they cut out hundreds of Pokemon so we could be treated to high-octane animations such as that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Bunnelby is using the same idle and hurt animations as it did in x/y.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Ya'll know that "technical limitations" thing is just speculation, right?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Schubalts posted:

Ya'll know that "technical limitations" thing is just speculation, right?

Statements from the Director aren't exactly just speculation.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Behold, a true console experience. I for one am glad they cut out hundreds of Pokemon so we could be treated to high-octane animations such as that.
What on earth are you on about

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Statements from the Director aren't exactly just speculation.

When did the director say that technical limitations are the reason? Genuine question, most I could find is people reacting to the news and the posts in here made it look like an explanation that fans came up with.

Was it in the stream? I can't watch it right now.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

this wouldn't be a problem with iwata...........

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

He said resource limitations and time constraints are the reason. Nothing about the technical aspect.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm seeing a not insignificant amount of people going "you wouldn't see them leaving out a bunch of monsters from a Digimon game" and it made my soul leave my body.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Takoluka posted:

This wasn't even a hot take, my guy. Calm down. A hot take would be "The primary focus of the Pokémon series now is the multiplayer meta-game, and it is better for them to exclude monsters like a TCG rotation than to focus all their resources on balancing and rebalancing 900+ Pokémon every day until Gen 9 while getting yelled at by Worlds competitors and Smogon."

I understand the want to have total freedom with Home, and it does suck if you've had a monster since Gen 3 that suddenly can't transfer because it just happens to not be in the Galar dex. That would be terrible! But there are people in here speculating that a stock market fluctuation was the result of a large section of the Pokémon fandom lashing out because their Pokémon is *potentially* gated for an indeterminate amount of time, and that's kind of doomsaying is really silly.

That's just my thoughts on it. I'm sorry that I made you upset.

Funny thing here is I already said exactly that, and in a much more direct and clear way that didn't seemingly dismiss all the other goons currently mid-conversation about not being able to transport pokemon to the new game.

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol if you think HFT is scanning kotaku for ideas on trades.

There's a lot of skynet nowadays but this is tinfoil hat stuff.

Feels like you're backpedaling but I appreciate the apology.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
God Impidimp looks baaaad

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Amppelix posted:

He said resource limitations and time constraints are the reason. Nothing about the technical aspect.
Yeah, it's not that it's impossible, but it's clearly not where they want to sink their resources. I imagine if it was effortless they'd put everything in every game, but there are always going to be opportunity costs. I'd say calling that "technical limitations" isn't entirely off the mark, but if we're making the distinction then sure, it's not that the Switch couldn't handle it or whatever.

It sounded kind of like they wanted to establish a precedent too- with so many hundreds of pokemon, players shouldn't expect every pokemon in every game. That seems reasonable to me.

I'm not going to be up in arms until they confirm my favorites aren't getting it. I don't quite get getting pissed at the very idea that not every single pokemon can be transferred. How many people were actually going to do that? It's obviously not a good thing by any means, but it's kinda weird to me the way it's blowing up.

Maybe they'll have a bare-bones stadium battler with everything in it later to satisfy the desire to play with any pokemon.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Xelkelvos posted:

God Impidimp looks baaaad

it's super good. there's been no bad one's so far except the whimsicott/jumpluff knockoff one

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Amppelix posted:

What on earth are you on about

Lemme catch you up (or you could read the last couple pages)

We're frustrated because of the announcement that not all pokemon will be coming to Sword/Shield. This is a bummer.

One possible reason was maybe the game is technically demanding and they just couldn't do all of them?

But then we said, hey, wasn't the whole reason sun/moon ran poorly because the models were already future-proofed? So what work is there to do?

Well, maybe they're adding bespoke animations to each 'mon, which would indeed be a ton of work, but would also look cool and maybe be worth it?

Nope, not that either.

TLDR: We're trying to theorycraft why GameFreak would limit the pokemon, and trying to come up with possible reasons ourselves. However, we have managed to punch holes in all the theories we can come up with, frustratingly leaving us with no justification for this situation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I keep reading the news about not being able to transfer all your Pokemon in and my brain can't process that it's real.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Depending upon what resource you're talking about that can be technical. Especially when this is being translated from Japanese we should be careful about getting into semantic arguments.

But at that point, you're saying the reason is just "time and money", which they have tons of money, and it shouldn't really require all that much time given what assets sun/moon already has ready for them. So yeah...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Please enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGmO04islf0

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

TLDR: We're trying to theorycraft why GameFreak would limit the pokemon, and trying to come up with possible reasons ourselves. However, we have managed to punch holes in all the theories we can come up with, frustratingly leaving us with no justification for this situation.

At this point the Treehouse person being mistaken is a plausible theory

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

oddium posted:

it's super good. there's been no bad one's so far except the whimsicott/jumpluff knockoff one

Those look fine. They're Pokemon-esque. The imp? it looks like it's from a different franchise altogether. If you took off the body and just left the head, it'd be an improvement.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Yamper is so cute!!! Corgi Pokemon with an electric tail! :swoon:

I'm not particularly happy about Galar-only Pokedex, but the game looks really excellent besides that. Just really unfortunate.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 11, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel like Nintendo/Game Freak would have issued a correction by now if it wasn't right.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm convinced this has to be it because nothing makes sense otherwise. :smith:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's possible that, in tyool 2019, companies are making bad decisions for short-sighted unclear reasons, and trying to bullshit us, the consumer.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

RatHat posted:

Final evolution is just the full lyrics to this

https://youtu.be/qPdV8jXAjUQ

Nah, save it for the Tanaka region.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Nah we're considering other alternatives too. There's really no good explanation other than "they decided to cut costs", which is a bummer for such a major and profitable series.

Or you mean mistaken about the transferring thing completely? Yeah hopefully?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zaphod42 posted:

Funny thing here is I already said exactly that, and in a much more direct and clear way that didn't seemingly dismiss all the other goons currently mid-conversation about not being able to transport pokemon to the new game.

Feels like you're backpedaling but I appreciate the apology.

I think you're just really upset and are reading a little too much into my initial poke. I didn't realize I was prodding a hornet's nest, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Lemme catch you up (or you could read the last couple pages)

We're frustrated because of the announcement that not all pokemon will be coming to Sword/Shield. This is a bummer.

One possible reason was maybe the game is technically demanding and they just couldn't do all of them?

But then we said, hey, wasn't the whole reason sun/moon ran poorly because the models were already future-proofed? So what work is there to do?

Well, maybe they're adding bespoke animations to each 'mon, which would indeed be a ton of work, but would also look cool and maybe be worth it?

Nope, not that either.

Zaphod42 posted:

Depending upon what resource you're talking about that can be technical. Especially when this is being translated from Japanese we should be careful about getting into semantic arguments.

But at that point, you're saying the reason is just "time and money", which they have tons of money, and it shouldn't really require all that much time given what assets sun/moon already has ready for them. So yeah...

The models being "future proofed" and the presence of reused animations are only part of things. Incorporating a Pokemon is more than just copying and pasting resources into the SWSH engine, they have to all be individually adjusted and matched to the game's various environments, on a system that outputs images at 1080p and not the potato quality of the 3DS. There's also a bunch of new factors to consider like Dynamax and the introduction of new moves. These may, in the end, recycle animations and just set the model to scale more largely on the battlefield, but even that is an individual adjustment that needs to be taken care of one at a time, for each monster. And as for money, yes, we know TCPi has a whole bunch of it, but that doesn't mean that the whole of those resources have been devoted to the Sword and Shield project, or that the budget is decided upon by Masuda, Ohmori, or anyone else on the SwSh dev team.

Whether or not you think it's justified or that those things mitigate the end result or not, the presence of animations from XY and the use of existing models doesn't mean that these things aren't still things that could effect development of the game in the way the person on the Treehouse segment described. Even games that make heavy use of resource lifting are more complicated than people assume.