Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe the T-Rex contains 475 cheese wedges like tower bridge...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
The T-Rex looks loving great (though I'm sure it lacks leg articulation) and I wish they'd just released that as a stand-alone set because there is a non-zero chance I would have picked it up at some point. But I ain't shelling out $240 for that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The T. rex is cool but the ideas T. rex was cooler.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I don't understand it. Release a normal gate. A Trex chasing a Jeep, and a set with 2 explorers and print money.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Finally an upcoming set with disco Benny

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-bare-chested-jeff-goldblum-is-the-only-reason-you-nee-1835374553?IR=T

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--P14x2A5Q--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/hxlcb9najdltwnpvygfg.mp4

It looks like the T-rex is articulated.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Hips, head, and it looks like the base of the tail. Not the legs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ixnay posted:

Finally an upcoming set with disco Benny

That manta ray ship looks rad (it helps that I adore Mayhem's aesthetic) and I might get the little minifig set just for those psychedelic leaves...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Those legs are solid, the knees and ankles don't move, it's a complete waste. If they ever release the Explorer, you can't even redo the scene where he has one leg on upside SUV and she's attacking the tires.

I think the T-Rex is decent for what it is, but when you tell me it's supposed to look like the most iconic depiction of the dinosaur:

It feels so :effort:. Maybe I'm just being a massive nerd about Jurassic Park but LEGO is pretty good at nailing the look of something in LEGO form but this looks nothing like what we see in the film. Do the teeth even overhang when the mouth is closed because it sure doesn't look like it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not to mention it’s like 5x minifig scale

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This little rocket ship ride is really cool.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know I’m kind of a fanboy, but if you like /sorta like WarMachine Buster, Chubbybots’ mod (a little chest and shoulders, better legs with knees, altered/improved arms, and better missile pod and shoulder gun) is really fantastic. Really makes the figure more imposing and less “t-pose”
Low effort model.
I’ll post pics in a bit. (Gotta take some).

Video is on chubbybots’ youtube channel. You need additional pieces, but it’s all real common stuff.

Original and the mod:

Feenix fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 12, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Got the Apollo Lander for my birthday and put it together in about 4 hours. Lots of little fiddly bits and not a terribly exciting build, but it looks fantastic. Just gotta bricklink some proper helmets and backpacks because the giant helmet things included look awful and completely cover the great A7L suits printed on the minifigs.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Update on putting together an auction for my Sister's gold mine of Lego sets:

She can't sell any of the REALLY GOOD stuff until the divorce is final. So no Goon auction. :(

Anything she can sell will be on her Bricklink site, sadly right now mostly Friends stuff. The Star Wars stuff will trickle in:
https://store.bricklink.com/LBrickinator#/shop?o=

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 12, 2019

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is Death Star II UCS at $195 a typo?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Is Death Star II UCS at $195 a typo?

Pretty sure that's just for the manual, looks like my nephew wrote in it:

"I did manage to sell the Death Star II, though it was an awful experience since [nephew] had written on some of the pages and I didn't go through the book page by page so I didn't know and the buyer pitched a fit. Ended up having to buy him another book. Did make him ship me our book, though so I can attempt to sell it separately. End profit off a set that someone had given us (not including what I might get selling the book): $499"

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

veni veni veni posted:

Not to mention it’s like 5x minifig scale

Somewhere, Kale from Lego Masters Australia just the his hands in the air, in a mix of bemusement and vindication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYQJgx68Sv4

GlenMR fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 12, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Squashy Nipples posted:

Pretty sure that's just for the manual,

$150 shipped for the manual?

Are the manuals really worth that much or is this as insane as it sounds?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

$150 shipped for the manual?

Are the manuals really worth that much or is this as insane as it sounds?

Click on the model number and you'll see that good ones apparently go for 200 dollars. I guess if people really want the physical instructions, but you can just download them from Lego.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
What I imagine it is is that there are many people sitting on boxless, manual-less copies of their set and they have to buy the missing pieces in order to get the full price they want on secondary market. If you’re going through the trouble to buy just the parts and minifigs you probably don’t care about the paper manual but if you can’t fetch a good price for your set w/o it... just my armchair guessing though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

Click on the model number and you'll see that good ones apparently go for 200 dollars. I guess if people really want the physical instructions, but you can just download them from Lego.

Christ almighty, I'm never taking my Death Star apart so I probably won't need the manuals, recouping a fifth of that cost wouldn't be bad.

edit: Oh, it's the Death Star II, didn't even realize.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The manual iirc is also like 200+ pages and weighs a pound by itself, it's a beastly thing for a huge expensive set that a lot of people might not have kept, so it's a lot rarer compared to the set itself

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Who gets rid of manuals???

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

smackfu posted:

I keep everything except polybag instructions, but I kinda get it as a space-saving measure. Everything is digitized and available online in PDF form now.

Tossing those giant bound manuals for $100+ sets seems kinda wasteful though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

smackfu posted:

I keep mine in the boxes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was doing that, but the boxes take up lots of room, so I collapse the boxes I want to keep and then put the manuals in a separate box.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
while the new box design sucks without the tape and instead using glue to seal them(though I totally understand from lego's end, people were probably easily slicing the boxes open in store and nicking stuff) you can pretty easily open most using an exacto knife carefully, you can usually get the glue sliced off cleanly or at least just slice the inside tab off so the box still looks nice when you un-collapse it. It's how I've got all my boxes stored safely for when/if I sell those sets or just the boxes, since nowadays the damned empty boxes are worth a decent chunk especially for larger sets.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Isn't it just the smaller sets doing that? Almost everything I've got is still the old style with the tape.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Lunar Lander didn't have glue and was taped but I think the 20th Anniversary Slave 1 did? Though I may (probably) be mistaken on the Slave 1, I forgot which set I bought that had the the glue but I hated that poo poo. Might have been Yoda's Hut or Han's Speeder or something.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Tantive IV has the torn tabs instead of tape.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I keep my manuals in binders in those plastic full-page sheets we used for book reports in middle school. Saves space, keeps them in good shape, and allows the kids to easily peruse them when they feel like building a set (or an alt build thereof) they've previously broken down.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Habibi posted:

I keep my manuals in binders in those plastic full-page sheets we used for book reports in middle school. Saves space, keeps them in good shape, and allows the kids to easily peruse them when they feel like building a set (or an alt build thereof) they've previously broken down.

How well does that work for the various sizes of manuals?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cloks posted:

How well does that work for the various sizes of manuals?

The worst solution I've found except for all the other ones. ;) I stack manuals where possible (works really well for the 3x manual Creator sets, e.g.) and only the really monstrous ones, like my UCS Slave 1, don't fit the sleeves at all. The small ones can get a bit jumbled as I'll toss 4-5 of them into a sleeve. You want to be careful not to turn the binders upside down, since most manuals are much smaller than the sleeve and are liable to slip out, but neither the kids (5 and 7) nor I have had any problems.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Lego Movie 2 minifigs 50% off at the official lego site, at least here in social democeacy country

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
20% stateside

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well this hasn't happened in a long while, my rocket ride bonus set is missing 1x4 yellow plate.

At least, I'm pretty sure it's missing, I don't think I dropped it or it got stuck in the bag, but this has happened so few times I'm doubting myself.

e: Wait, whats the naming convention between flat pieces with studs vs. ones with out? Smooth? Turns out i was missing the 1x4 plate but got an 1x6 smooth plate that isn't used in the set.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 15, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I built the Lunar Lander.

meh

Think I might just throw it on CL. Really unimpressed by this one.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Oxyclean posted:

Well this hasn't happened in a long while, my rocket ride bonus set is missing 1x4 yellow plate.

At least, I'm pretty sure it's missing, I don't think I dropped it or it got stuck in the bag, but this has happened so few times I'm doubting myself.

e: Wait, whats the naming convention between flat pieces with studs vs. ones with out? Smooth? Turns out i was missing the 1x4 plate but got an 1x6 smooth plate that isn't used in the set.

My Saturn V was missing two of the girder pieces from the little stands. Not a show stopper, but I was surprised.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What do you guys think of the new Stormtrooper helmet? I feel like the old one was just flat out better. Same with the Rebel Pilot helmet but I think Lego is aware of that since they seem to have ditched it after one set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Waltzing Along posted:

I built the Lunar Lander.

meh

Think I might just throw it on CL. Really unimpressed by this one.

The build was a bit tedious, but I really love the way it looks. All the modern ‘realistic’ NASA sets have been terrific so far.