Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Yeah, I work at a school, and I've personally experienced that last one there at least a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
https://merakiscans.com/dad-the-beard-gorilla-and-I/98/

Special epilogue chapter!!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Shame on you for making me think there was new beard content :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
OH poo poo HE'S BACK

A new group picked up Uramichi Oniisan finally
https://mangadex.org/title/22817/uramichi-oniisan

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Came in to post that.
Holy poo poo Uramichi, you're too real.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Reo and Mabu ~Together they're Sarazanmai~

So I didn't expect the Sarazanmai spinoff manga to be a dad manga but here we are. The cops find a baby on a plate and raise it. They are also very stupid.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Interesting!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Golem Dad
Not much golem dad this chapter, primarily focusing on the Witches and the new chief librarian.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh good, it's been a while. Seeing Golem Dad all busted up like that is sad :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
finally...

(new S-Rank Daughter)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kowamote Kawamote
Ryuunosuke is a tough grandpa with a beard and sunglasses. For the first time his innocent granddaughter Kotora has finally come over to his home!
His daughter who had left home, came back hoping she could rely on him to look after Kotora, but everything Kotora asks for is unreasonable?
A popular work with lots of talk on social media! A Tough grandpa and an adorable granddaughter, won't there be many issues?
The long awaited comedy is now being published!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

What a good grandpa.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
new 100 days

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Peerless Father had a long road but he's finally made it home. And he's bringing the bacon, and sausage, and kebabs, and a couple of chickens. Basically, he's bringing home the meat.

The wise dragon got his investment back in spades when he took in Noh all those years ago and I'm glad that Noh managed to carve out a good future for his kids even though he's got the new headache of every faction in the martial arts pavilion gunning for them. Hope he gets a few chapters of family time before the the assassin organization catches up to him.

And there's a new It's my Life where we ditch the fun comfy home living for more suffering.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 11, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh I was going to post that exact panel and forgot (re: peerless dad) :3:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I really like Peerless Dad. The art is great and there's a vibrancy to the characters and setting. It makes me wonder if I'm missing out on other good manwha through ignorance.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read a bunch but they're all BL for the most part. There was a webtoon thread floating around, you might dig it up and check out some of the ones folks were reading in there; they leaned toward action, shonen-y stuff for the most part.

If you have any specific interest, genre-wise, I might be able to rec something. The way I find new ones to read is just checking out whatever people are translating and if the art looks nice I read a few chapters so there is always that method.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I really like Like a Butterfly
It's about an older man who decides to take up ballet. It's sweet and occasionally heartbreaking.
Coincidentally for the thread, he's a dad (dad manhwa thread), but all his kids are adults.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Everything Burrito posted:

I read a bunch but they're all BL for the most part. There was a webtoon thread floating around, you might dig it up and check out some of the ones folks were reading in there; they leaned toward action, shonen-y stuff for the most part.

If you have any specific interest, genre-wise, I might be able to rec something. The way I find new ones to read is just checking out whatever people are translating and if the art looks nice I read a few chapters so there is always that method.
Yeah I tend to prefer grounded-yet-heartwarming stories most of the time. Peerless Dad is more shounen than I'd normally read. I don't have a specific interest in BL, but I like romance in general, so I'd probably check out anything you think is particularly good.

Zero_Tactility posted:

It's about an older man who decides to take up ballet. It's sweet and occasionally heartbreaking.
Coincidentally for the thread, he's a dad (dad manhwa thread), but all his kids are adults.
This looks cool.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ooo I hadn't seen that ballet one, I'll have to check that out.

Let me think a bit on webtoon recs, I like a pretty broad spectrum from pure fluff to smut because what pulls me in is usually the art first then I keep reading if the story is decent so my range is pretty wide and I don't want to rec stuff that's just "this is a thing i'm reading right now" because that can be kind of random

e: I went through what I'm reading, and if I was going to pull out just one to recommend it would be this one: For Your Love (mangago link, if you don't want to read it there I'm sure it's on mangadex or wherever); this one doesn't have an official English release that I'm aware of but here's the page for it http://comico.kr/titles/19663

high school setting BL so a little off topic for the thread but w/e; I just really love the characters in this one, they can be dense and frustrating but they're very earnest and you just have to root for them :3:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 12, 2019

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I will check it out.

Grandad ballet manga is extremely good by the way.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If that one doesn't pan out for you, or if you want more you might check my posts in the shoujo thread because I talked about some webtoons recently(ish)

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Zero_Tactility posted:

I like this one too, but I expect it to destroy me emotionally one of these days.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well yeah, it's a korean drama. that should be a foregone conclusion.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read up to the current chapter of Boukensha License o Hakudatsu Sareta Ossan Dakedo, Manamusume ga Dekita no de Nonbiri Jinsei (I'm a Middle-Aged Man Who Got My Adventurer License Revoked, But I'm Enjoying a Carefree Lifestyle Because I Have an Adorable Daughter Now) which has an absolutely ridiculous title but turns out is fairly cute.

Considering how these things have a tendency to turn out I was wary, but so far it seems to be only slice of life dad and daughter adventuring. The power fantasy element is strong here but I can forgive it to a certain degree since the dude is like, max level or something so he's like an endgame character wandering around among noobs which makes him look god-like. It would be nice if it was just a normal fantasy story and not using the video game elements though, and the way he has an overpowered skill/spell for any solution takes a lot of the tension out of it.

The lead guy reminds me a little bit of the main guy from Pumpkin Scissors, both in design and personality to a certain degree. I think if he'd kept some elements of the hex that was loving up his power it might have saved it from going full-on boring power fantasy, but as-is it starts out with a gimmick that it completely drops like one chapter in. It does at least give him some motivation so it's not completely worthless to the plot but it still felt like a bit of a waste.

The best way to read this one appears to be wait a while and let a few chapters pile up, because it's published in small chunks of about 15 pages each and takes like 3 of those to actually make a full chapter, so I imagine month to month or however frequently those come out it'll be annoying to read. Bingeing through from the start to where it is now wasn't too bad though.

So far the formula seems to be: Doug and Ravi encounter a village, Doug solves all their problems with some overwhelming demonstration of power, and he and Ravi bond by resolving a misunderstanding and learn more about each other, rinse and repeat at the next village. Not terrible, it's kind of relaxing to read tbh, but also not...super exciting or engaging either. I hope as it goes along more of both of their backstory plots come forward since both of them have villain who cursed them for some reason. It also seems to be setting Ravi up to be some kind of crazy powerful kid once she unlocks her potential which is kinda typical for this sort of story (tiny magical child is all-powerful and thus the villain wants to exploit them but is foiled by the brave hero MC) so I'm not like, super excited for that development but it does at least give the plot somewhere to go.

Overall, it's no S-Ranked Daughter but if you're looking for a dad-themed isekai you could certainly do worse.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I agree! It's kinda milquetoast power fantasy, but it is pretty cute and decently good (so far) in how it deals with their evolving awkward parent/child relationship.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

god i loathe this trend of paragraph-long titles

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
does it have an official short title? or should we just make one up

Revoked-License Dad

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

does it have an official short title? or should we just make one up

Revoked-License Dad

Revo-Li Dad. Ravioli Dad.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Best dad straight up guaranteed.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

There have been two chapters Since peerless dad went back on the hunt. I'm reminded of the last time he had to adopt this mindset and he's not disappointed with how calculated and ruthless he can be when driven into extreme circumstances. Interesting to note that The two old men aren't retired Murim fighters like the other older man who has been mentoring the daughter. They seem to very much still be active members just laying low in the Dragon Pavillion. And these assassins are really bad at their jobs and I'm surprised they didn't cut and run, especially when the leader is someone who clearly is experience in other areas and should know a situation that's FUBAR when he sees one.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm dying because it looks like the tl on the next chapter will be delayed and I really need to see him tear some more rear end up

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/WIT_STUDIO/status/1154013845565796353?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Retired Heroes
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=147819

This one hits a lot of the same notes as S-Rank Daughter but with more of an ensemble cast. It's all about these 5 heroes after they've done their hero thing and settled down, centered around the lead guy and his wife and daughter. I liked that it didn't lean heavily on gaming elements, it's got kind of a d&d-ish feel but it's mostly just a standard fantasy setting. As it goes on it does some more worldbuilding and expands the cast, goes into some light intrigue, but at the core it's comedy & slice of life.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This looks cute :3:

Ootani-san Chi no Tenshi-sama

A scary-looking bookstore owner opens up his shop one morning and finds a boy with a sign that says PLEASE ADOPT ME signed by God. Mysteriously, after taking the boy (Michael) in, people aren't afraid of him anymore.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
going to be watching for updates on this one, I read the first chapter a while back but then nothing else came out but it looks like a different group has picked it up so hopefully there will be more progress now.

Kumicho Musume to Sewagakari
Yakuza underling assigned to be the caretaker for the boss's daughter. The main joke here seems to be that the guy is an absolute beast and completely unsuited for childcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
These look cute, will read :3: