Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/spellwells/status/1138535428913582080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Takoluka posted:

I think you're just really upset and are reading a little too much into my initial poke. I didn't realize I was prodding a hornet's nest, that's all.

Incidentally my brother's favorite Pokemon is his min/maxed legendary that he's transferred since Black 2, so it sucks for him.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is vivillion in the game because i bred a lot of scizors to trade for a complete set

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nodosaur posted:

The models being "future proofed" and the presence of reused animations are only part of things. Incorporating a Pokemon is more than just copying and pasting resources into the SWSH engine, they have to all be individually adjusted and matched to the game's various environments, on a system that outputs images at 1080p and not the potato quality of the 3DS. There's also a bunch of new factors to consider like Dynamax and the introduction of new moves. These may, in the end, recycle animations and just set the model to scale more largely on the battlefield, but even that is an individual adjustment that needs to be taken care of one at a time, for each monster. And as for money, yes, we know TCPi has a whole bunch of it, but that doesn't mean that the whole of those resources have been devoted to the Sword and Shield project, or that the budget is decided upon by Masuda, Ohmori, or anyone else on the SwSh dev team.

Whether or not you think it's justified or that those things mitigate the end result or not, the presence of animations from XY and the use of existing models doesn't mean that these things aren't still things that could effect development of the game in the way the person on the Treehouse segment described. Even games that make heavy use of resource lifting are more complicated than people assume.

They are, and all of it adds to how much QA has to be done. But everything in game dev is a lot of work and this is a long-running and profitable series that should have this down to a science by now, so I don't think we're being unreasonable either.

The fact that they do seemingly mitigate the lion's share of the work seems significant and worth talking about. But we're all just guessing here, we don't have hard numbers on any of this and can only fruitlessly speculate and hope for the best.

Everything in gaming is more complicated than people assume. But when you're making millions or even billions of dollars, its less that it wasn't possible.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

is vivillion in the game because i bred a lot of scizors to trade for a complete set

Vivillion isn't, but Vivillon might be.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hell, for all we know they may just mean a bunch of weird edge-case pokemon won't be added that are just weird and unavailable most of the time anyways or are just super niche cases. i mean, ultimately someone is gonna be disappointed but there's A LOT of just weird cruft and poo poo that's built up over the years.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Not gonna lie, losing access to Bank Pokemon is going to suck, but I’m not overly upset so far. Has there been any indication on how big the regional dex will be? It seems to have a lot of fan favorites from footage alone.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

less laughter posted:

Vivillion isn't, but Vivillon might be.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Johnny Joestar posted:

hell, for all we know they may just mean a bunch of weird edge-case pokemon won't be added that are just weird and unavailable most of the time anyways or are just super niche cases. i mean, ultimately someone is gonna be disappointed but there's A LOT of just weird cruft and poo poo that's built up over the years.
no dunsparce no sale :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

They are, and all of it adds to how much QA has to be done. But everything in game dev is a lot of work and this is a long-running and profitable series that should have this down to a science by now, so I don't think we're being unreasonable either.

The fact that they do seemingly mitigate the lion's share of the work seems significant and worth talking about. But we're all just guessing here, we don't have hard numbers on any of this and can only fruitlessly speculate and hope for the best.

Everything in gaming is more complicated than people assume. But when you're making millions or even billions of dollars, its less that it wasn't possible.

Nobody has this "down to a science", not even the most profitable and experienced devs; everyone can run into huge mitigating factors. Look at Super Mario Party; a game that most assume "would be easy to make", but was considered light on content when it came out. Not even Nintendo, who is one of the more efficient and skilled companies, is prone to investing as much money as they earn into their titles, so between that and our not knowing the exact figures, playing armchair dev and economist just seems fruitless to me.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

They could spare us all a lot of angst if they bothered to loving specify if and when we can transfer our old pokemon instead dropping this turd statement like the grenade it is and then leaving it there.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flopsy posted:

They could spare us all a lot of angst if they bothered to loving specify if and when we can transfer our old pokemon instead dropping this turd statement like the grenade it is and then leaving it there.

Sadly Treehouse offers limited time to talk but I absolutely think this should've had its own separate time to properly clarify considering it was followed by "I'll say more on interviews".

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Heres the transcript from the stream

From Masuda via translator

https://pastebin.com/YqLCvkK9

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

The answer is never. If a Pokemon is not in the Galar dex, you will never be able to transfer it from Pokemon Home.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Johnny Joestar posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake we are not deciphering an ancient message in a dead language here, the director was on stream saying, in a number of sentences, that only pokemon in the Galar pokedex will transfer from Home to SwSh. There is no theorycrafting to do here about "what he really meant".

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sadly Treehouse offers limited time to talk but I absolutely think this should've had its own separate time to properly clarify considering it was followed by "I'll say more on interviews".

Absolutely. This isn't the sort of thing you drop at the end of conference and then zip on out without explaining what the gently caress happens to the pokemon you apparently can't transfer in the future. It's bummed me out so much I can barely enjoy the fact we finally got a corgi. :(

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This is the damper on Yamper and it loving sucks.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

The answer is never. If a Pokemon is not in the Galar dex, you will never be able to transfer it from Pokemon Home.

Masuda literally prefaced the statement by saying how much he knows people are invested in keeping their collections. The translation is coming across weirdly.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Flopsy posted:

It's bummed me out so much I can barely enjoy the fact we finally got a corgi. :(

I'm enjoying it enough for the both of us

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know what Nintendo, take back friends in online co-op in Super Mario Maker 2. Just let me transfer all my Pokemons no strings attached.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm honestly just surprised something like this didn't happen sooner. This is a franchise that has nearly 1000 unique characters in it and not many of its counterparts have gone to such lengths to include every single one of them from one title to the next. Hell, Digimon games are lucky if we get 1/4th of the ones that exist in total.

But also, acting like a very busy man in what I presume is his 40's should have been more considerate of the impact of his news on one of the busiest days of the year for people like him feels a bit ludicrous. We'll get things clarified at some point. Just be patient.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nodosaur posted:

I'm honestly just surprised something like this didn't happen sooner. This is a franchise that has nearly 1000 unique characters in it and not many of its counterparts have gone to such lengths to include every single one of them from one title to the next. Hell, Digimon games are lucky if we get 1/4th of the ones that exist in total.
its almost like the 15 years of continuity have been one of the main selling points or something

how many digimon games get press conferences, dude

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

its almost like the 15 years of continuity have been one of the main selling points or something

None of them. But again, all I'm saying is there's a LOT of Pokemon and that's gotta be unprecedentedly demanding.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pokemon is literally the biggest franchise on Earth.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

^^^^^^^^^^ We're talking the bread and butter of why the series is appealing here.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

Masuda literally prefaced the statement by saying how much he knows people are invested in keeping their collections. The translation is coming across weirdly.

This is not a single statement. He was talking about this for like a minute. There's no misunderstanding here. Especially since, if there was, they'd be quick to clarify it on Twitter.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nodosaur posted:

But also, acting like a very busy man in what I presume is his 40's should have been more considerate of the impact of his news on one of the busiest days of the year for people like him feels a bit ludicrous. We'll get things clarified at some point. Just be patient.

I will get super mad in the mean time so if they even thought about parting me from Ribombee they have to backpedal so hard their bikes go on water without rotom smartphone enhancements.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Flopsy posted:

That's one of the reasons it's so bizarre. The reveal on Pokemon Home explicitly showed one-way transfers from Bank (and LGPE and Go), effectively replacing it.

You'll even be able to trade pokemon sitting in Home with a mobile app. It's just so baffling that this implies that you're supposed to transfer your collection from Bank to Home, and then an unknown number of them are just stuck there unable to go into an actual game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ometeotl posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake we are not deciphering an ancient message in a dead language here, the director was on stream saying, in a number of sentences, that only pokemon in the Galar pokedex will transfer from Home to SwSh. There is no theorycrafting to do here about "what he really meant".

if you'd read the post i wasn't trying to say 'what he really meant', i was saying that they might just trim a bunch of niche pokemon that a lot of people don't care about and keep the decent bulk of each gen around. this also includes a bunch of mostly gen-specific poo poo that has built up over the years.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Look, you can all be dissatisfied with this news; I'm not saying you shouldn't. Saying "I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner" is based on looking at trends in similar franchises. What Pokemon has been doing so long is unprecedented, and appreciating the realities of this kind of thing is still more useful than going "Pokemon is the biggest brand in the world" like that's a magic lamp that can grant any wishes the devs have.

You can be dissatisfied with this news, feel like it's still something they should have done because it's a big part of what people love about this franchise, and still keep things like that in mind. It may not make the situation better, but it can help one personally come to terms with it. At least that's been my experience.

Ziddar posted:

That's one of the reasons it's so bizarre. The reveal on Pokemon Home explicitly showed one-way transfers from Bank (and LGPE and Go), effectively replacing it.

You'll even be able to trade pokemon sitting in Home with a mobile app. It's just so baffling that this implies that you're supposed to transfer your collection from Bank to Home, and then an unknown number of them are just stuck there unable to go into an actual game.

How they've talked about Home has given the impression it's more than just a storage space. What form it'll ultimately take is still uncertain, though.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The more I think about it the more obvious it seems they plan to fix this. People fretting about their pokemon being locked in Home, but it seems insane that they'd even let you transfer a pokemon they were essentially retiring forever. I know, Gamefreak, but it is too hard to believe that they wouldn't at least make all those pokemon unavailable to move from Bank if they really had no plan. I hope they make this more clear sooner rather than later so I can go back to fawning over the new pokemon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am down about Pokexit but I'm pretty sure I'll survive with my sheep and corgi.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RatHat posted:

This is not a single statement. He was talking about this for like a minute. There's no misunderstanding here. Especially since, if there was, they'd be quick to clarify it on Twitter.

This is actually a good point, but it only makes this whole thing even weirder. Every time a new thing was announced for SwSh, it was posted on all of Pokemon's social media. This wasn't, almost as if it wasn't meant to be said in the first place and Masuda messed up.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blaze Dragon posted:

This wasn't, almost as if it wasn't meant to be said in the first place and Masuda messed up.

There might be a method to his madness

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's possible that, in tyool 2019, companies are making bad decisions for short-sighted unclear reasons, and trying to bullshit us, the consumer.

.....no!!!

Flopsy posted:

cosign. just say it won't happen til 2021 or the 3rd edition, I'm fine with that. even if they explicitly said "our plan is to never allow you to transfer mons from gen 3-7 forward unless they're already in the newest gen's dex; there's no more national dex and each region forevermore will be capped to what's in on release." I'd prefer it to this nonsense

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This is disappointing, but it's making me wonder: are there any other game series in which people expect as much persistence between titles as we do with Pokemon?

For that matter, how did people react when it turned out you wouldn't be able transfer your Gen 2 Pokemon to Sapphire or Ruby?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
No one really complained about R/S/E (outside of the internet) because by that time the bulk of us Gen 1 / 2 'rs moved on to real life. Not being disparaging, just pointing out that a lot of Gen 3 people were like....new players.

Couldn't this just be without animations on?

MoaM fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 12, 2019

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

Nobody has this "down to a science", not even the most profitable and experienced devs; everyone can run into huge mitigating factors. Look at Super Mario Party; a game that most assume "would be easy to make", but was considered light on content when it came out. Not even Nintendo, who is one of the more efficient and skilled companies, is prone to investing as much money as they earn into their titles, so between that and our not knowing the exact figures, playing armchair dev and economist just seems fruitless to me.
sometimes companies just make really stupid decisions for entirely arbitrary reasons even without any mitigating factors

like for example, everything related to Nintendo's online infrastructure

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

moving on to real life at the elder age of 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

oddium posted:

moving on to real life at the elder age of 12

Your math is off my maaan. R/S/E came out in 2003, for context.