Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If Rinse Pubis wants to be a dumbass O-1 at his age he should be allowed IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I hope they make him do all sorts of dumb poo poo as the George Ensign

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If Rinse Pubis wants to be a dumbass O-1 at his age he should be allowed IMO.

He's gonna be the fastest burner to O6.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
What's an HR officer even do? This is an honest question. Lol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Political appointees are cool and good.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

King of Bees posted:

What's an HR officer even do? This is an honest question. Lol

Forgets to do stuff vital to your orders and pay

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Someone sent this to me and asked what the gently caress is wrong with SWOs. I had never seen it before nor heard of it.

What the gently caress is wrong with SWOs?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

All of the pilot attitude with none of the flight time

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What’s wrong with their pea coats?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

What’s wrong with their pea coats?

Not expensive enough.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ded posted:

Not expensive enough.

Rubbish. Those bridge coats are like $400 new.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Seems unnatural, merchant bridge officers will stand even the nastiest of watch in gym shorts and flip flops

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

Seems unnatural, merchant bridge officers will stand even the nastiest of watch in gym shorts and flip flops

Let's be real though, seriously jealous we cant.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If you could stand bridge watch in flip flops and gym shorts, SWO retention might go up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
One time I took the watch from a first mate in yoga pants with “JUICY” in sparkly glitter on the butt.

One time, I sent an AB down to change because I could see his balls down the left leg of his Grateful Dead daisy dukes.

In conclusion, the merchant marine is a land of contrast.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Also pea coats are the tits, but I guess they’re not Top Gun enough.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Also pea coats are the tits, but I guess they’re not Top Gun enough.

I bought an officers bridge coat version second hand, removed all the silly gold stuff, replaced it with enlisted buttons and it’s my favorite coat ever.

Also weights like 15lbs.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

One time I took the watch from a first mate in yoga pants with “JUICY” in sparkly glitter on the butt.

One time, I sent an AB down to change because I could see his balls down the left leg of his Grateful Dead daisy dukes.

In conclusion, the merchant marine is a land of contrast.

I had a chief engineer force all the mates to wear coveralls and steel toes on the bridge per company policy and it owned. The captain thought it was funny to go along with because he already wore boots and jeans and his captain shirt anyway.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Someone sent this to me and asked what the gently caress is wrong with SWOs. I had never seen it before nor heard of it.

Haters gonna hate. Don't care. Happy to finally be done with loving piece of poo poo Ike jacket.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Haters gonna hate. Don't care. Happy to finally be done with loving piece of poo poo Ike jacket.

What's wrong with the Ike jacket? Next you'll tell me you hate the interstate highways system for reasons beyond it destroyed mass train travel between population centers in middle America

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

What's wrong with the Ike jacket? Next you'll tell me you hate the interstate highways system for reasons beyond it destroyed mass train travel between population centers in middle America

Hey now--the post-WW2 implosion of the rail industry also had a lot to do with the fact they were run at capacity to move oil with no allowance for maintenance for four years and no postwar allocation for repairs.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

It's not warm (even with the liner), it's not waterproof/resistant, it's not wind proof, it's hard to clean and keep clean, and on top of all that it's uncomfortable.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

It's not warm (even with the liner), it's not waterproof/resistant, it's not wind proof, it's hard to clean and keep clean, and on top of all that it's uncomfortable.

Yeah, well that may be so but, it is named after the best Army officer and President. So, check and mate

Fyi: I'm stuck at Dulles due to missing my connecting flight so my posts will only get better :chiefsay:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ManMythLegend posted:

Tradition hating snakes like you are going to be the death of the Navy!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ManMythLegend posted:

Do people wear non PPE uniforms at sea?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

shovelbum posted:

Do people wear non PPE uniforms at sea?

Yes, but rarely.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ManMythLegend posted:

Those look like they're not actual aviator jackets, so I'm going to assume they're some kind of lovely knockoff that still isn't warm or comfortable, because of course they would be.

LingcodKilla posted:

I bought an officers bridge coat version second hand, removed all the silly gold stuff, replaced it with enlisted buttons and it’s my favorite coat ever.

Also weights like 15lbs.
The fact that "enlisted buttons" and "officer buttons" are a Thing says a lot about what's wrong with the Navy.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Those look like they're not actual aviator jackets, so I'm going to assume they're some kind of lovely knockoff that still isn't warm or comfortable, because of course they would be.

The fact that "enlisted buttons" and "officer buttons" are a Thing says a lot about what's wrong with the Navy.

You'd be running two button factories during a total war.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My understanding is that they're the same coat just black and with a non-furred collar. Haven't seen it in person so I can't confirm though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It’s just gold colored gaudy buttons. They look terrible, like a nautical pimp designed them. Good ol’ plastic anchor disks are just fine.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

Embrace the SWOter.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Embrace the SWOter.

I definitely do, but on wet/windy days it just doesn't cut it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Looks like someone found a warehouse full of unissued WWII ANJ-3s.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I've gotten to see the jacket first hand (ADM Brown's staff was wearing them when he came to visit) and they look a hell of a lot better than the Ikes. I can't say that they're any thicker than an aviator jacket, but leather tends to be a bit more wind resistant at least.

Anything to say that we're cool and are part of a cool club I suppose. Retention rates are apparently terrible for SWOs right now, so I'm curious what the next bonus will be. It was 105k two years ago.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The Valley Stared posted:

Anything to say that we're cool and are part of a cool club I suppose.

Can't wait to see what dumb bastardized version the IWC comes up with to try and be like SWOs and Aviators

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
When you guys say Ike jackets, what are you referring to exactly? I don't think the Navy has or has ever has what I understand an Ike jacket to be.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

When you guys say Ike jackets, what are you referring to exactly? I don't think the Navy has or has ever has what I understand an Ike jacket to be.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/uniforms/uniformregulations/uniformcomponents/Pages/3501_30.aspx

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Can't wait to see what dumb bastardized version the IWC comes up with to try and be like SWOs and Aviators

Sneaky sneaky London fog style trench coats.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The utility jacket was the best and I still have mine from 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'd rather have the khaki windbreaker back.