Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Finally Americans (who hate soccer) got their wish and got a stupidly high scoring game in a soccer match. Seeing as a complaint I often hear is "oh soccer is boring it's always just 1-0 or whatever" i wouldn't be too surprised if there's some part of the team that wanted to smash another to shut those American non fans up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Anyone calling the result of a sporting event “gross” when there isn’t a 144 in the score is someone whose opinion that shouldn’t be taken seriously at all.

It’s the World Cup, there’s no participation trophy for showing up. Get good or go home.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

It's gross in the sense that a team that bad shouldn't be on the highest stage of a sport, but that's not the USA's fault.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

joepinetree posted:

That is a really dumb take. The idea that Belgium has a "problem" because their women's soccer team isn't as good as the men's is ridiculous. The idea that FA investment will somehow reduce lopsided results is ridiculous.The only reason Germany didn't score double digits against Brazil in 2014 is because they actively decided to slow down, but if it they had decided to go for it and make it 12-1 it wouldn't have meant that Brazil had to invest more in men's soccer or that the gulf between two top ten ranked men's teams was significant for the rest of the sport. And the implied idea that this is somehow related to gender equality in a broader sense is nonsense. Switzerland ranks near the top for gender equality as a society, and their women's soccer team has the same number of wins in world cups as the Thai historically.

The US is the global powerhouse in women's soccer. It decided to go for it against an inferior team. Quit trying to come up with lame excuses, enjoy being the heel, and go for it.

That Germany/Brazil game was in the knock out stages, the winning margin didn't make a difference. Goal difference is the first tie breaker in a group stage. Not sure how this is a lame excuse when the only thing it's being compared to is when goal difference didn't matter.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I’m not watching this but who can watch this sport and be against goals? Goals are always good, against amateurs, injured, whatever. And this from someone whose team will 100% eat 10+ goals from the US.

These lower level teams should absolutely understand that they’re going to be made to eat poo poo at some point. Here, we have two real objectives. The first was to not have a travesty in front of Sweden, which it sounds like we accomplished. The other is to win against Thailand, which is a super realistic goal, and one Thailand should have against us.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Good teams in big conferences in American college football PAY smaller teams from smaller conferences to come and play them. These games often end in 30+ point blowouts and no one gives a poo poo. People don’t call the good team unsportsmanlike for destroying the cupcake. Sometimes the weaker team will keep it close, and win. So they get paid to be there plus walk out with a W.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Yea but that's big teams moving down a level or 5 to face smaller teams with the sole intent of crushing them. Whereas in a tournament which is supposed to exhibit the best the sport has to offer and ideally eliminate those smaller teams in the qualifying rounds you don't expect such a low level team to make it through. But seeing as there are few teams and less quality out there atm it makes sense it's going to be like this for a while till the rest of the world can catch up to the likes of the US. They can only play what's put in front of them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Argentina got their asses kicked for years and all of a not-so sudden they hold a good team to a scoreless draw and looked respectable doing it. Comes with the territory. The U.S. lambasting Thailand today is not even in the same conversation with the blitz of defending holders and returning finalists Japan 4 years ago in a matter of 20 minutes or so.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

joepinetree posted:

That is a really dumb take. The idea that Belgium has a "problem" because their women's soccer team isn't as good as the men's is ridiculous. The idea that FA investment will somehow reduce lopsided results is ridiculous.The only reason Germany didn't score double digits against Brazil in 2014 is because they actively decided to slow down, but if it they had decided to go for it and make it 12-1 it wouldn't have meant that Brazil had to invest more in men's soccer or that the gulf between two top ten ranked men's teams was significant for the rest of the sport. And the implied idea that this is somehow related to gender equality in a broader sense is nonsense. Switzerland ranks near the top for gender equality as a society, and their women's soccer team has the same number of wins in world cups as the Thai historically.
Norway tends to rank pretty well too! And that's why they have a long and storied history of providing an equitable environment for the women's natioahahahahaha.

The point of the take is that a number of countries who do a fantastic job identifying, developing, and providing opportunities for their boys and who spare few expenses for their men's national teams repeatedly fail to do so at similar levels for girls and women. The US has historically been (and remains) one of those countries. The point of the tweet is that the gulf between Thailand's national team rankings is better explained by how other countries prioritize the two than it is by how Thailand prioritizes the two.

joepinetree posted:

The US is the global powerhouse in women's soccer. It decided to go for it against an inferior team. Quit trying to come up with lame excuses, enjoy being the heel, and go for it.
I mean, I thought the whole "gently caress decorum, celebrate your goals" thing was pretty clear, but?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Just Chamber posted:

Yea but that's big teams moving down a level or 5 to face smaller teams with the sole intent of crushing them. Whereas in a tournament which is supposed to exhibit the best the sport has to offer and ideally eliminate those smaller teams in the qualifying rounds you don't expect such a low level team to make it through. But seeing as there are few teams and less quality out there atm it makes sense it's going to be like this for a while till the rest of the world can catch up to the likes of the US. They can only play what's put in front of them.

This is also the first WWC with 24 teams. Thailand would have been nowhere near this tournament in the old 16 team format. Most people expected there to be a few of these results in this tournament. Maybe not 13-0 but surely some 8 or 9 goal wins.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

This is also the first WWC with 24 teams.
Actually, 2015 was.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Actually, 2015 was.

So it was, Germany and Switzerland both had 10 goal games in that tournament though.

I had kinda forgotten since the US was in the so called Group of Death.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

So it was, Germany and Switzerland both had 10 goal games in that tournament though.

I had kinda forgotten since the US was in the so called Group of Death.
Yeah 2015 being the first 24-team tournament was how we ended up with multiple teams scoring 10+ goals in a game. Switzerland was one of them!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I’d like to see the US replay the Thailand game but Thailand gets to use the Honduras U-20 men’s keeper who conceded 12 to Norway last week.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

I’d like to see the US replay the Thailand game but Thailand gets to use the Honduras U-20 men’s keeper who conceded 12 to Norway last week.
Or just have a game where the Thai women's GK and that dude are the keepers. Final score: 20-19

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Or just have a game where the Thai women's GK and that dude are the keepers. Final score: 20-19

Rewatching the highlights, while the Thai keeper was really bad, the Thai defense was so bad that it probably still would have been 7 or 8.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Paracaidas posted:

Norway tends to rank pretty well too! And that's why they have a long and storied history of providing an equitable environment for the women's natioahahahahaha.

The point of the take is that a number of countries who do a fantastic job identifying, developing, and providing opportunities for their boys and who spare few expenses for their men's national teams repeatedly fail to do so at similar levels for girls and women. The US has historically been (and remains) one of those countries. The point of the tweet is that the gulf between Thailand's national team rankings is better explained by how other countries prioritize the two than it is by how Thailand prioritizes the two.

The point is that scores of games between the powerhouse in a sport running up the score against one of the worst teams in the tournament isn't indicative of anything. Spain scored 10 on Tahiti in the confederations cup in 2013, and if they had tried as hard as the USWNT, they'd probably have scored 25, England could have probably scored double digit goals against Panama if they kept on last year.

This need to make a very serious point about the US running up the score not actually being about the US running up the score is ridiculous. Especially using FIFA rankings (Panama last year was ranked 49th on the men's side, England 12th and it was 6-1, South Africa on the women's side is 49th, and Norway is 12th, and it was 7-2...PARITY!). If the US had decided to play keep away in the 2nd half and won only by 3-0, would it have eliminated the disparities in sports infrastructure between the US and the rest of the world?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Big Huski Boi posted:

The USA and Sweden are exceptionally well-matched teams who drew when they played at the last World Cup. It's extremely likely they will both beat Chile and Thailand and very possible they will draw again when they play each other, meaning the winner of the group would be decided on goal difference, which the USA now has a huge lead in. If the USA takes it easy against Thailand then their hopes of winning the group rest on Sweden doing the same, which is idiotic. The winner of group F faces the runner-up of group B, probably Spain, whereas the runner-up of group F plays the runner-up of group E, probably Canada or the Netherlands, both teams that are capable of winning the entire tournament. Not a matchup you really want to deal with in the round of 16, hence trying very hard to win the group.

Eh, there's a competing narrative around strategically aiming for second in the group to end up across the bracket from France instead of facing them in quarters. Doesn't seem like that's the US strategy, unless they roll out the B team for Sweden.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The only problem I have with absolute massacres like that is when the winning team does particularly smarmy celebrations every time they score (either wheeling away like everyone does in a FIFA video game or something in the category of "Martin Keown yells at Ruud Van Nistelrooy"), because that kind of promotes football on a more antisocial level when it should be, at the end of the day, just a fun game. I didn't watch the second half so I don't know if they did that last night.

That said, if they went all in on it and showed an increasingly long montage of American Things (Washington crossing the Delaware, the Iwo Jima picture, Hulk Hogan ripping up the Iraqi flag, etc) on the big screen as all the players cried, fell to their knees, and put their hands to their hearts as the national anthem played for every single goal, that would've been great. I hope I didn't miss that because that's just awesome pantomime villainy at that point.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Yeah the continued celebrating in the second half was a little obnoxious tbh

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

CubanMissile posted:

Yeah the continued celebrating in the second half was a little obnoxious tbh

what are you talking about, the collegiate wonder sistren of the richest country in the world dunking on poors is a perfect slice of herstory

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I think that if you score in the World Cup for your gender you should get to celebrate.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i think if you think celebrating the tenth unanswered goal in a game of association football is worth celebrating in any way at all then you are displaying not only a basic misunderstanding of the game but indeed the very concept of worth or merit itself

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I think if they stopped celebrating they would have more time to score even more goals and then you guys would be complaining even harder

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Eau de MacGowan posted:

what are you talking about, the collegiate wonder sistren of the richest country in the world dunking on poors is a perfect slice of herstory

Lol this

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder why the USA are so hated by the rest of the world :iiam:

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
what the gently caress is wrong with these women? going from 7-0 to 13-0 in the last 15 minutes? those celebrations?

complete psychopaths

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Engineer Lenk posted:

Eh, there's a competing narrative around strategically aiming for second in the group to end up across the bracket from France instead of facing them in quarters. Doesn't seem like that's the US strategy, unless they roll out the B team for Sweden.

Oh for sure, but frankly I'd much rather face France in the quarters than Canada/Netherlands a round earlier. We're here posting about the US scoring 13 goals but a lot of people think the Dutch attackers are even better. Plus I don't really see the point of wanting to wait until the final to play France, the French fans are going to be even more amped at that point.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Big Huski Boi posted:

Oh for sure, but frankly I'd much rather face France in the quarters than Canada/Netherlands a round earlier. We're here posting about the US scoring 13 goals but a lot of people think the Dutch attackers are even better. Plus I don't really see the point of wanting to wait until the final to play France, the French fans are going to be even more amped at that point.

Well, France has a history of choking in tournaments...

I agree with you on the whole. I think Ned is more of a threat to knock the US out than Spain, and that US/Can games end up so physical that someone will pick up a knock (Rose) and/or some cards (Tobin or JJ).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

joepinetree posted:

That is a really dumb take.

I'm pleased that prefaced your bad take.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Monday Bandele posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with these women? going from 7-0 to 13-0 in the last 15 minutes? those celebrations?

complete psychopaths

Nice meltdown.

slorb
May 14, 2002
You can't blame someone for running up the score when goal difference might get them out of the group but those late goal celebrations were disgusting.

God I hope they lose to Chile

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Shrapnig posted:

Rewatching the highlights, while the Thai keeper was really bad, the Thai defense was so bad that it probably still would have been 7 or 8.

This one was my favorite bad defense goal

https://twitter.com/USWNT/status/1138529816238469121

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Came here to read the reactions to that game and wasn't disappointed. Huge lol at Americans itt, lol at peak america posts like these:

joepinetree posted:

Trounce people. Embarrass them. It's their problem if they lose badly.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/FIFAWWC/status/1138781730222092289

Back at it

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Korea looked weak against France. Reckon Nigeria can win.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Terminally Bored posted:

Came here to read the reactions to that game and wasn't disappointed. Huge lol at Americans itt, lol at peak america posts like these:

That poster is Brazilian lol

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

That poster is Brazilian lol

lol thats awesome

Also agree Nigeria should be winning today

Double edit...i am shocked, shocked, that the scouting report about Nigeria is that they are big, strong, and athletic

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Power and pace! Stereotypical reporting when they should really be focusing on the futuristic hairstyles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

lol @ the people singing Ode to Joy