Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CornHolio posted:

"Would you say it looked like that?" *gestures to window*

"uh...."

What is the cost of waking a sleeping giant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

CainFortea posted:

What is the cost of waking a sleeping giant?

A really good show would be one that starts with the bombing of Hiroshima and focuses on the Japanese war council debates during the period between the bombings and then immediately after the Nagasaki bombing.

This is a group of guys who just discovered America has a bomb that can level a city, they're fighting a war against the world's three largest militaries, a war that they've known they lost for about 2 years, and are preparing to "win" an invasion that they know will kill millions of their citizens. Then you have the attempted coup that occurs during the same night of a fire-bombing raid on Tokyo. Show ends with the Emperor talking to his people for the first time.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pook Good Mook posted:

A really good show would be one that starts with the bombing of Hiroshima and focuses on the Japanese war council debates during the period between the bombings and then immediately after the Nagasaki bombing.

This is a group of guys who just discovered America has a bomb that can level a city, they're fighting a war against the world's three largest militaries, a war that they've known they lost for about 2 years, and are preparing to "win" an invasion that they know will kill millions of their citizens. Then you have the attempted coup that occurs during the same night of a fire-bombing raid on Tokyo. Show ends with the Emperor talking to his people for the first time.

This honestly is the first actually good suggestion for a "second season"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
and they'll all be white with british accents

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pook Good Mook posted:

You should watch the HBO film Conspiracy from 2001 if you haven't. It's a dramatic re-enactment of the Wannsee Conference of 1942, where the Nazi bureaucracy decided on how to implement the Final Solution.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 11, 2019

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This honestly is the first actually good suggestion for a "second season"

A few other suggestions were nice. I'd be interested in learning more about the Halifax explosion for example.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Dalael posted:

A few other suggestions were nice. I'd be interested in learning more about the Halifax explosion for example.

The CBC did a 2-part miniseries, but it was bad

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Pook Good Mook posted:

Some of the generals were literally going on about how the entire japanese race should just fight to the death rather than surrender

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

CrazyLoon posted:

...and paid and scheduled a dozen or so actors for a 5-episode miniseries, with each of them chiming in with a seperate field of expertise that an audience of non-experts would have a hard time to parse.

When I type that out, I honestly figure that a single character to represent them all was moreso made to save production costs and also to summarise their joint findings.

this is true but it always bothers me when I watch science based movie where you have:

*super-duper important scientific interview/process being conducted*

*is handled by literally 1 person*

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Can anyone think of a drama film/show where they actually accurately portrayed the scientific process rather than having a small group of scientists single-handedly make some big discovery? Bonus points if it was not boring as hell. Bonus points also if it was not Primer.

This obviously does not count if a discovery was actually made single-handedly by a small group of scientists. Or if it was Primer.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Primer is the only thing that comes to mind, which doesn't count. I just wanted to post about Primer.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Primer also doesn't count because its results failed to be reproduced, despite my best attempts to hook a bunch of wires to a box and read from the glossary of a physics book.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xanderkish posted:

Can anyone think of a drama film/show where they actually accurately portrayed the scientific process rather than having a small group of scientists single-handedly make some big discovery? Bonus points if it was not boring as hell. Bonus points also if it was not Primer.

This obviously does not count if a discovery was actually made single-handedly by a small group of scientists. Or if it was Primer.

Would The Right Stuff count even though it mainly focuses on the astronauts?

October Sky is about a small group, but they're not exactly scientists.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 11, 2019

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I'm tentatively concluding that astronauts can count as scientists, but I'm still waiting to hear from peer review.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Xanderkish posted:

Shin Godzilla comes to mind.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

emgeejay posted:

The CBC did a 2-part miniseries, but it was bad

This had me excited for a second but reading the wikipedia you linked, i think i'm gonna pass. Seems like they took way too much liberties

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Dalael posted:

This had me excited for a second but reading the wikipedia you linked, i think i'm gonna pass. Seems like they took way too much liberties

There also isn't really any drama other than pure misery. Like, no one disputes any of the causes or what happened. It would just be a series about how much people's lives were ruined.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

There also isn't really any drama other than pure misery. Like, no one disputes any of the causes or what happened. It would just be a series about how much people's lives were ruined.

Uh

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
These memes are all not great, and some are not terrible.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Good poo poo.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

spankmeister posted:

Shin Godzilla comes to mind.

quote:

Can anyone think of a drama film/show where they actually accurately portrayed the scientific process rather than having a small group of scientists single-handedly make some big discovery?

there's literally a part of shin godzilla where they find a missing scientist's gigantic one-sheet of notes, when properly folded, reveals godzilla's genetic code

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There isn't going to be a movie like what he's asking for because WATCHING the proper scientific method is going to be boring as gently caress.

I say this as someone who loves doing science poo poo. I experiment with poo poo as a fuckin hobby.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

There isn't going to be a movie like what he's asking for because WATCHING the proper scientific method is going to be boring as gently caress.

I say this as someone who loves doing science poo poo. I experiment with poo poo as a fuckin hobby.

Seriously, CainFortea, you know what those experiments could mean to science. If you do them, and they're real, it could mean a lot. It could mean actual advances in the field of science!

Congratulations. You've won the Internets. All of the Internets.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, but proper scientific method involves double blind testing. So you wouldn't get the tension building scenes where the scientist tries the last thing that might prove their theory

You get some lab tech testing batch #25c47 against setting #224 on The Device.

Then batch #25c48
Then batch #25c49
#25c50
#25c51

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

CainFortea posted:

Okay, but proper scientific method involves double blind testing. So you wouldn't get the tension building scenes where the scientist tries the last thing that might prove their theory

You get some lab tech testing batch #25c47 against setting #224 on The Device.

Then batch #25c48
Then batch #25c49
#25c50
#25c51

edit: too sarcastic

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Would The Right Stuff count even though it mainly focuses on the astronauts?

October Sky is about a small group, but they're not exactly scientists.
It’s probably been mentioned more than a few times in this thread, but I’ll always take the opportunity to recommend Apollo 13.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Apollo 13 for sure because all of their technical radio chatter is 100% accurate and ripped from the flight logs and you can read along.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Seriously, CainFortea, you know what those experiments could mean to science. If you do them, and they're real, it could mean a lot. It could mean actual advances in the field of science!

Congratulations. You've won the Internets. All of the Internets.

Radiation sickness is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the woman than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

This actually would be a good idea since Japanese politics at the time were really weird and twisted with the military getting veto power and low ranking officers constantly deciding to take things into their own hands and start poo poo or assassinate leaders they saw as weak. The latter in particular meant everybody right up to the emperor was scared of getting assassinated by nationalists or communists and meant that the safest way to stay alive was to deliver no bad news to your superiors and only take the most aggressive stances. All this power was placed in the hands of the emperor, who for various reasons was committed to use that power as little as possible and pretend to just be a figurehead.

It might also make more Americans come to grips with how awful the bombing campaign in Japan was, both conventional and nuclear, as well as teach more people about the Soviet declaration of war, and how it influenced the decision to surrender as much if not more than Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

That being said, it'd never happen. They could never do what they did with Chernobyl and just cast a bunch of British actors, for one, and the Imperial Japanese military was so steeped in cultural Japanese concepts like seishinron and gekokujou that don't translate well that I dunno how much I'd trust American showrunners to pull it off, or how much I'd trust a US audience to understand it. Plus the US military refuses to cooperate with any film that doesn't portray it in a favorable light, which a series such as this almost certainly wouldn't, adding to the production cost.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don’t see how you’d need any US military involvement?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I don’t see how you’d need any US military involvement?

A lot of trucks, props, and locations you see in films are actually on military bases using military equipment. They let the production company use it for free, they get good press.

Also access to things like film records and stuff are a lot easier to get when they're working WITH you rather than against you.

It could be done entirely without them, but would add to the production cost.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/qjurecic/status/1138559361905758210

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
It wasn't cast with British actors, but Letters from Iwo Jima did a decent portrayal of what it was like on the Japanese side of WW2.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

People taking pictures in Pripyat and even planting props there for more dramatic images is nothing new. Disgusting? Yes. New? Hardly. These brainless 'influencers' just found the next trend to jump on without even understanding where they are, as evidenced by that idiot leaning on a ruined and probably radioactive bus.

I've been wanting to visit that place for over a decade, but now I'm reluctant because I don't want to mingle with the "we saw dis on da TV!" crowd :(

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Remember when there was a whole hubbub about Instagram influencers taking tone deaf pictures at Holocaust memorials?

Ah, to be young, rich, stupid, and easily suckered by the warped incentives of corporate social engineering.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Every network (including HBO) are now scrambling to find a good disaster to televised. It’s gonna be fun to see most of them burn and fail since most probably won’t understand that it was the underlying themes that made Chernobyl more than just “poo poo’s hosed up, bro.”

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

They’re not influencers. Only one of those pictures has the likes not edited out. Those are just normal-rear end people taking dumb photos.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A quick gander at those people's IG accounts suggests that you're wrong. The dude holding the detector appears to be a collection of memes.

All the other ones are all influencer type photos. Some of them have lots of followers, some not many, but they all seem to have very similar content.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

CainFortea posted:

A quick gander at those people's IG accounts suggests that you're wrong. The dude holding the detector appears to be a collection of memes.

All the other ones are all influencer type photos. Some of them have lots of followers, some not many, but they all seem to have very similar content.

It's a shame the authorities will not allow them to take a selfie while hugging the elephant's foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

If you have no followers, you’re not an influencer as you have nothing to influence. If you’re just saying that stupid people are going to Chernobyl to take photos, then that’s hardly a hot take and people have been doing that for years.