Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Behold the dark fate. I've gone through it and consolidated the various leaks, and cut out the weird alt-right parts.

Dark Fate opens immediately post T2 with Sarah and John in a bar deciding where to go next. A T-800 arrives and blows John Connor away.

Lmao for god’s sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Whut.

I hope this is a wild and crazy ride made by wild and crazy guys!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

What is it going to take for them to stop making these movies, because that sounds horrendous on every level.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If there's anything suspicious about those spoilers it would be that it seems extremely similar to what Alien 3 did to the characters from Cameron's Aliens, almost to the point of being like a joke.But maybe I'm just being overly optimistic and the movie actually will be a joke.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Behold the dark fate. I've gone through it and consolidated the various leaks, and cut out the weird alt-right parts.

Dark Fate opens immediately post T2 with Sarah and John in a bar deciding where to go next. A T-800 arrives and blows John Connor away.

Jump to modern day. Sarah VO says that they stopped Skynet, but it sent many Terminators back to find John. Another T-800 came back with the T-1000 which is the one that killed John.

In the modern day, Grace (essentially a Marcus-type Terminator) is protecting Daniella from the Rev-9. Sarah arrives and saves them because she's been receiving mysterious texts with coordinates on them corresponding to evil Terminators. Grace has those same coordinates on her body. They follow them and find the T-800 who killed John, who has developed something of a conscience after killing John and calls himself Carl. He's the one sending Sarah the texts.

With Skynet prevented, there is now an evil AI called Legion (anti-terrorist program, essentially Skynet) which has sent the Rev-9 back.

They team up to fight the Rev-9. The Rev-9 kills Grace. Sarah pulls out her power core and Carl the T-800 uses it to kill himself and the Rev-9.

There are future war scenes. Linda and Arnold and Mackenzie give good performances. No Terminator theme on the soundtrack.

Oh my God. :laffo:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jump to modern day. Sarah VO says that they stopped Skynet, but it sent many Terminators back to find John. Another T-800 came back with the T-1000 which is the one that killed John.

In the modern day, Grace (essentially a Marcus-type Terminator) is protecting Daniella from the Rev-9. Sarah arrives and saves them because she's been receiving mysterious texts with coordinates on them corresponding to evil Terminators. Grace has those same coordinates on her body. They follow them and find the T-800 who killed John, who has developed something of a conscience after killing John and calls himself Carl. He's the one sending Sarah the texts.

With Skynet prevented, there is now an evil AI called Legion (anti-terrorist program, essentially Skynet) which has sent the Rev-9 back.

They team up to fight the Rev-9. The Rev-9 kills Grace. Sarah pulls out her power core and Carl the T-800 uses it to kill himself and the Rev-9.

There are future war scenes. Linda and Arnold and Mackenzie give good performances. No Terminator theme on the soundtrack.

So its just a repeat of T3.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tenzarin posted:

So its just a repeat of T3.

Precisely my reaction.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tbf a movie is not reducible to a plot summary

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Basebf555 posted:

If there's anything suspicious about those spoilers it would be that it seems extremely similar to what Alien 3 did to the characters from Cameron's Aliens, almost to the point of being like a joke.But maybe I'm just being overly optimistic and the movie actually will be a joke.

Which is even more ironic considering Cameron went on record saying he hated that.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 12, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I get what they are going for if there is no super human commander to group up all the humans to fight skynet, one will rise to the top and lead humanity to victory. It's just the same poo poo with how skynet will always be made. But they already covered this in terminator 3! When future skynet couldn't find Jon Conner they went for the other people under his command. Basically the human vs machines battle in the future will always happen and humans will always win but we will never ever get a movie about it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
For the opening, I hope they just use Edward Furlong in his current state. Or try and de-age him the Marvel way, I'm not sure which would be more ghoulish.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A T800 coming back, killing John, then later becoming self aware and calling itself Carl is absolutely hilarious. I hope they go all the way and have a "I know now why you cry, and it is something that I can now do" moment as well when it meets Sarah afterwards for maximum cringe. At this point they might as well dial up the stupidity as much as possible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The worst part of that is no Terminator theme. Why does everyone post Cameron hate the theme so much! It's the best!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I assume they could be still doing the music, maybe? I think one of the leaks said the CGI was unfinished. But it's coming out in, what, four months?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

There was the bit where Shirley Manson turned into a urinal and a guy pissed in her, then she killed him.

Well she IS only happy when it rains.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CelticPredator posted:

The worst part of that is no Terminator theme. Why does everyone post Cameron hate the theme so much! It's the best!
Steve Jablonsky liked it so much he used the "dun-dun dun dun DUN" riff practically unchanged in his Transformers score.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Neo Rasa posted:

T-800 and Ash Williams would be amazing in MK11. They could have the Terminator rip folks hearts out as described/briefly seen in T1.

That's one thing that always bugged me about the first movie - everyone remembers that Bill Paxton gets his heart ripped out, making him the first guy to play characters killed by a Terminator, an Alien and a Predator. But that's not what happens. One of the other punks gets chest-punched and we see Arnold's closed fist dripping with blood. It didn't go all kali-ma on him, it just straight up punched a hole through his chest*, which is even more metal. Bill Paxton goes offscreen and doesn't show up again, and the third punk strips off his clothes to give to Arnold. We never see concretely whether they even die, or if the Terminator just ignores them once it's immediate goals are satisfied like in the sequel. poo poo, Bill Paxton's character probably booked it as soon as Punk #2's chest cavity became a glove.

Edit: Is there a big, dumb Ash vs The Terminator comic book? If not, there should be.

*The fact that the first scene a Terminator appears in establishes that they can easily punch holes through human torsos makes things like the T-800 repeatedly throwing Christian Bale around in Salvation even dumber.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Wild T posted:

Edit: Is there a big, dumb Ash vs The Terminator comic book? If not, there should be.

It's even a pretty simple set-up, what with Terminators kinda looking like skeletons and Ash being a dumbass. Also, time travel.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Ash can use a broken T-800 and his trademark craftiness to jury-rig a Terminator's fist onto his stump. This thing practically writes itself.

Edit: Make it a buddy-cop style setup with Ash trading one-liners with a reprogrammed Terminator fighting machines and deadites.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah it pretty obviously goes:

- Ash gets time traveled to one of the timelines where there are multiple Terminators
- He scraps with the T-800, gets beat up and flees
- He finds some leftover Terminator pieces, replaces his missing hand with one (maybe some T-1000 goo?)
- Goes to find the T-800, ends up discovering the Deadites are up to something with Skynet
- Recruits the T-800 to help him put down the zombies
- Lengthy action sequence with both of them shotgun mowing down a bunch of undead machine demons
- Pepper some references to the previous movies in there (the T-2 thumbs up, some Evil Dead weirdness, etc)

What's Sam Raimi doing these days, I'm sure you could talk him into it. Although Bruce Campbell said he's done, so maybe just do it up as an animated mini-series or something.

Wild T posted:

*The fact that the first scene a Terminator appears in establishes that they can easily punch holes through human torsos makes things like the T-800 repeatedly throwing Christian Bale around in Salvation even dumber.

Man Bale really poo poo the bed in that movie hard. He's lucky most people don't even remember it. We did get Mike Ironside as the badass commander living out on a nuclear sub though, and the attending sequence of it getting mini-nuked.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wild T posted:

That's one thing that always bugged me about the first movie - everyone remembers that Bill Paxton gets his heart ripped out, making him the first guy to play characters killed by a Terminator, an Alien and a Predator. But that's not what happens. One of the other punks gets chest-punched and we see Arnold's closed fist dripping with blood. It didn't go all kali-ma on him, it just straight up punched a hole through his chest*, which is even more metal. Bill Paxton goes offscreen and doesn't show up again, and the third punk strips off his clothes to give to Arnold. We never see concretely whether they even die, or if the Terminator just ignores them once it's immediate goals are satisfied like in the sequel. poo poo, Bill Paxton's character probably booked it as soon as Punk #2's chest cavity became a glove.

I just assumed he took the guy's heart out in the process because Reese's description is so weirdly specific given how screaming mad he is. But in general it's surely a holdover in the script of when they were originally going to have The Terminator be more of a serial killer and have more emphasis on Paul Winfield+Lance Henriksen investigating the killings.

I didn't know Paxton had a reputation for getting killed by a Terminator at all, like you say he understandably bolts pretty fast and I doubt the Terminator would have bothered chasing down anyone that wasn't directly hindering him.

Plus OMG I hate Salvation so much and that's one of the reasons. poo poo they should have just cold had the T-800 mangle him right there and gone with the resistance recovering his face/whatever to patch onto Sam Worthington's like they had planned. I hate in movies so much when like, the extremely lethal bad guy just throws people into walls. It always just feels like padding no matter what.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mat Cauthon posted:

Man Bale really poo poo the bed in that movie hard. He's lucky most people don't even remember it. We did get Mike Ironside as the badass commander living out on a nuclear sub though, and the attending sequence of it getting mini-nuked.

His performance was fine if you judge it on it's own but it was one of those situations where the project was doomed from the start because he forced so many changes in the script that made it much less interesting.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The really lovely part is that he was originally cast for Marcus and the script focused much more on him. Connor would mostly be on the sub speaking on the radio. Bale told them absolutely not, if he was in the movie he needed to be John Connor. Then had them rewrite the script to make Connor the hero instead of Marcus as soon as they agreed.

The best thing to come out of that movie was the quarter-munching lightgun arcade game and the Christian Bale meltdown recording.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In a way I guess you could equally blame the studio, because it's not like they had a gun to their head. They went to Bale, offered him the lead role, and Bale had dumb demands so they should've just said thank you but no and moved on to the next option. Bale was just too hot at the time I guess because of Batman, they thought they needed him.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What did bale change?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

So my OP summary was correct.

Those future war scenes better be loving badass, though.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I mean, if people are really that interested in the test screening leaks you can just take 3 seconds and google something like "terminator dark fate leaks", and it'll be in the first four results, the best sources seem to be a terminator fan site and reddit, it's literally not that hard.

The actual leaks are from like six different people, and the theory is that the studio is testing different cuts because some of the leakers saw the same test screening and others saw an alternate cut with major plot differences like: John Connor doesn't get killed in the beginning, but instead starts a new life away from his mother and the movie ends with him watching a news report about his mom and the films events on television. So there's actually still some major plot points that they haven't completely decided on and are still testing out.

The leaks have a lot of details including snippets of dialogue and some straight hilarious/wtf scenes like:

Sarah shoots the T800 within the first 3 minutes of meeting him. Grace and Dani talk her down but she is not happy about it and even says that as soon as they kill the Rev9 he is toast.

There is a part where she sees a picture on his fridge next to a work van that says "Carl's Apolstery" and she says "I'm never loving calling you Carl."

It's actually pretty funny.

There is a scene when Grace appears in the time line and she takes out about 7 or 8 Mexican police officers butt naked. It is an excellent fight scene, and its shot really well. Very little actual nudity so it's pretty tasteful and not gratuitous

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gathering together to chortle at leaked plot summaries is really lame in a post-I-can-just-enjoy-things way. I prefer to be deeply disappointed in the theater, myself.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I think being deeply disappointed when seeing it in the theater is pretty much a given at this point no matter what. But I take my chortles where I can get them.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imagine how soul-crushing it must be shooting multiple different plots of the same movie just for test audiences due to studio mandates.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

"Come with me if you want to live."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hang on he was gonna be the terminator?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

Hang on he was gonna be the terminator?

The original choices were Lance Henriksen and OJ Simpson. The latter was dismissed because Cameron thought nobody would ever believe he could be a killer.

IIRC Henriksen turned up to the pitch meeting in a leather jacket with bloody makeup on his face, and that secured the deal with the studio.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 14, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

What did bale change?

It was really supposed to be a movie that was 90% Marcus with Connor kinda in the background as a side character. Bale of course wasn't gonna play anything but the lead, but then he also wanted to play John Connor, so they re-wrote the thing so that Connor was much more involved. The original plan was also to end the movie with Marcus having taken over Connor's identity to maintain the John Connor myth after he dies but that was nixed by Bale as well.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
From what I've gathered over the years, Terminator Salvation was almost at Alien 3 levels of whole sections being scrapped. Apparently there was a plot about the rich of the old world still being around post apocalypse, and you can get a glance of their silhouettes in one of the wide shots in the finished film.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

It was really supposed to be a movie that was 90% Marcus with Connor kinda in the background as a side character. Bale of course wasn't gonna play anything but the lead, but then he also wanted to play John Connor, so they re-wrote the thing so that Connor was much more involved. The original plan was also to end the movie with Marcus having taken over Connor's identity to maintain the John Connor myth after he dies but that was nixed by Bale as well.

What I remember is that the ending got changed because the original leaked really early and there was a huge backlash about it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

In a way I guess you could equally blame the studio, because it's not like they had a gun to their head. They went to Bale, offered him the lead role, and Bale had dumb demands so they should've just said thank you but no and moved on to the next option. Bale was just too hot at the time I guess because of Batman, they thought they needed him.

Remember that at this time even that Nolan was heavily involved in writing so there was a massive amount of goodwill from it not just having The Terminator and having Bale but that also. And Bale did this early interview about it that was worded as if the script was incredible and was the only reason he signed on (not because the story was being changed to be "incredible" by his own standards) while people were still The Dark Knight is the single best movie ever made and should have gotten 45 Oscars mania.

Johanthan Nolan was the last of a few people who wrote the script, and IIRC him and Bale just hit it off really well so that was that and when it was known that he was now writing it AND it was starring Bale people were mega hyped at the time.

Amusingly Nolan was still writing bits of it on set while filming according to McG, always a recipe for success.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 14, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Remember that at this time even that Nolan was heavily involved in writing so there was a massive amount of goodwill from it not just having The Terminator and having Bale but that also. And Bale did this early interview about it that was worded as if the script was incredible and was the only reason he signed on (not because the story was being changed to be "incredible" by his own standards) while people were still The Dark Knight is the single best movie ever made and should have gotten 45 Oscars mania.

Yea I mean Nolan and Bale were absolutely white hot at that time, so it's understandable why they that kind of leverage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snowman_McK posted:

From what I've gathered over the years, Terminator Salvation was almost at Alien 3 levels of whole sections being scrapped. Apparently there was a plot about the rich of the old world still being around post apocalypse, and you can get a glance of their silhouettes in one of the wide shots in the finished film.

It was also going to tie into a plot about how there's some superbug epidemic going on and Skynet is actually trying to save humanity at all costs.

Then again, I find the leaked plot about Dark Fate hilarious. Hooray, Skynet is gone! Now there's a new and different evil AI in the future that acts exactly the same way and is sending terminators back in time to kill threats to it before they can be born/become heroes! Meet the new boss same as the old boss, just it's now Legion instead of Skynet, it's hunting Danielle instead of Sarah Connor, it's an anti-terrorist surveillance-and-hunting AI instead of a Cold War military supercomputer, and it leaves Sarah Connor and friends in the lurch deciding to protect the new focus of the new eivl future AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

Cythereal posted:

It was also going to tie into a plot about how there's some superbug epidemic going on and Skynet is actually trying to save humanity at all costs.

It sounds like Salvation was a whole bunch of really interesting ideas (including John dying etc.) and somehow they managed to screw up every single one and were just left with a mess. At least they managed to convey the fear of John not knowing what the hell he was doing despite preparing for it his whole life and trying to figure out how/when the important things are going to happen, but as it stands it's just a huge waste that probably could have been up there with the first two if executed correctly.

Cythereal posted:

Then again, I find the leaked plot about Dark Fate hilarious. Hooray, Skynet is gone! Now there's a new and different evil AI in the future that acts exactly the same way and is sending terminators back in time to kill threats to it before they can be born/become heroes!

The majority of the plot sounds awful but I always thought it was inevitable that a Skynet defeat would just see another AI created anyways given the direction our species has always been heading in. If they defeat the evil AI in this movie I'd expect another one further down the line because it's just inevitable.