Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

It'll be fine. If she breaches the contract, she can just negotiate another radical alteration to the nature of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wanna read that book

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Bahahaha what could possibly go wrong.

Regy Rusty posted:

Wanna read that book

me tooooo

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
An Iscroll touch!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
You almost got imprisoned for terms you didn't understand, you negotiate new terms AND THEN DONT READ THEM?!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Next page had better be Annies and Reynard body slamming Kat away

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Do not fall in love with robots

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
dammit kat you should never agree to binding arbitration!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy that this is probably Kat's simplified view kicking in.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Hmm, so I imagine Kat is now responsible for securing afterlife guide services for any new sentient beings she creates, which is naturally going to end up being Annie. Or at least, it would be her by default, but Kat might have something to say about that since Annie probably doesn't actually want the job.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Hmm, so I imagine Kat is now responsible for securing afterlife guide services for any new sentient beings she creates, which is naturally going to end up being Annie. Or at least, it would be her by default, but Kat might have something to say about that since Annie probably doesn't actually want the job.

She might be grateful for it once the Annies realise they have the same national insurance number!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Annies mirroring each other all the time is way funnier/cuter than it has any right to be.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It's great. I think my favorite so far was the simultaneous "We agree!" Both of them peering at a smoldering Renard was pretty great too.

It's going to make the moment when they have an opposite reaction stand out even more.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I didn't think this whole thing was a con until this very page. I know some of you guys called it way back when little ghost dude first appeared, but it looked like more RotD-style dumb bureaucracy than something nefarious.

But now? This guy is totally up to no good. He's purchased the rights to every robot's soul or Kat's firstborn or something, I dunno.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I didn't think this whole thing was a con until this very page. I know some of you guys called it way back when little ghost dude first appeared, but it looked like more RotD-style dumb bureaucracy than something nefarious.

But now? This guy is totally up to no good. He's purchased the rights to every robot's soul or Kat's firstborn or something, I dunno.
I think the terms & conditions might be something along the lines of...

Dr Subterfuge posted:

...this

Or some other god-adjacent type thing that she'll be forced to take responsibility for, wont be able to renegotiate fully like she did her & probably have the risk of something happening to any robot she elevates if she doesn't follow through. The twist is less "crooked deal" and more "oh this is way more important than I thought"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

yeah nah still have a bad feeling about this

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

rannum posted:

I think the terms & conditions might be something along the lines of...

...this

Or some other god-adjacent type thing that she'll be forced to take responsibility for, wont be able to renegotiate fully like she did her & probably have the risk of something happening to any robot she elevates if she doesn't follow through. The twist is less "crooked deal" and more "oh this is way more important than I thought"

That's the theme with Kat. She keeps getting away with poo poo, so she has no idea of the scope of the consequences of her actions and has yet to feel the weight of the responsibility she's taken on. Robot is creepy, but the real force behind that is that Kat is doing things which are genuinely capable of inspiring fanaticism, and she's a kid.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Kat is now the Robot Medium

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Samuringa posted:

Kat is now the Robot Medium

Kat is now the Robot Goddess.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Kat will make her own Psychopomps and Robot Heaven.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
It's quite possible that what pychopomps get out of their job is more lifespan, and Annie's family has just forgotten that they're part-psychopomp.

e: like, having a kid might not be the trigger for them to die, it might be that they have a kid as part of their natural death at the end of their lifespan, which is sustained by the one person they guide into the Ether.

Annie isn't opposed to being a psychopomp. I forget who asked her if she had wondered why she had felt so driven to claim Jean.

She's also the "mother" of the Robot Prophet so she has actual spiritual significance to the Robots.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 11, 2019

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Mraagvpeine posted:

It does seem entirely possible to me that Kat could make her own Psychopomp. Somehow.

Hodgepodge posted:

That's the theme with Kat. She keeps getting away with poo poo, so she has no idea of the scope of the consequences of her actions and has yet to feel the weight of the responsibility she's taken on. Robot is creepy, but the real force behind that is that Kat is doing things which are genuinely capable of inspiring fanaticism, and she's a kid.

It all started with that zero gravity protein crystal experiment. In a way, she still doesn't understand why everyone made such a big deal about the zero gravity.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Robot still has that special ceramic chip on his CPU that Kat hasn't figured out what is for, but is apparently similar to the old golems. Robot is a creepy prophet but it's probable that the chip gives robot some kind of etheric connection prior to the new thing Kat is creating.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

It does seem entirely possible to me that Kat could make her own Psychopomp. Somehow.

It all started with that zero gravity protein crystal experiment. In a way, she still doesn't understand why everyone made such a big deal about the zero gravity.

to be honest kat is a pretty poo poo scientist if she doesn't understand the significance of nullifying a fundamental force of reality that has infinite range.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

A big flaming stink posted:

to be honest kat is a pretty poo poo scientist if she doesn't understand the significance of nullifying a fundamental force of reality that has infinite range.

Eh, that's not really the point. Her not understanding why people made a big deal about the zero grav when she was younger is like how she doesn't understand now why giving robots life is a big deal. To her she was just running an experiment. Now she's just building a new body for her friend.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Eh, that's not really the point. Her not understanding why people made a big deal about the zero grav when she was younger is like how she doesn't understand now why giving robots life is a big deal. To her she was just running an experiment. Now she's just building a new body for her friend.

that's my point.

Kat isn't a scientist. She's an engineer.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

that's my point.

Kat isn't a scientist. She's an engineer.
Just one who rather than assumes a spherical cow, designs bovine morph ball technology.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Or, since robots now will/are already contributing to the ether, their beliefs will create psychopomps, like all other sprang from beliefs.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Robot will be the Robot Psychopomp. Clearly.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Boxbot will be the botpomp, because no one likes to see him.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
no sorry see we meant to say "shitfaced", she's spent the last forty chapters tripping balls on achewater and this is all St. Elsewhere

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I definitely do not fully comprehend what's just happened so I'm very concerned Kat doesn't either.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
That grin :staredog:

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
Kat already has a transformation too, she doesn't need to hog them for the rest of us.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
She'll make a mecha who's also a transfomer, that'll show these jerks.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wonder if Kat can use the arrow to merge 2 Annies?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Accidentally unbookmarked the thread. Can someone fact check my understanding?

Kat tried to run a lovely kludged version of an unsuitable powershell script that would normally just error out but instead was punched through by arrow.hax

A sysadmin showed up and was going to lock her up in ether jail both for using arrow.hax to take ownership of a living being and for using arrow.hax in general.

Kat offered not to run rootkits on reality anymore and they said no, your script doesn't work without the rootkit and you already ran it so jail for you

So Kat asked them to fix her script to make it do what she wanted in the first place so she doesn't need the rootkit for it and they went "fair enough it's a pretty standard app" and dumped a thousand lines of code and Eula on her and she went "sounds good" and open palm slammed the accept button

She still has arrow.hax but she's pinky sworn not to use it and is basically on ether probation

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Splicer posted:

Accidentally unbookmarked the thread. Can someone fact check my understanding?

Kat tried to run a lovely kludged version of an unsuitable powershell script that would normally just error out but instead was punched through by arrow.hax

A sysadmin showed up and was going to lock her up in ether jail both for using arrow.hax to take ownership of a living being and for using arrow.hax in general.

Kat offered not to run rootkits on reality anymore and they said no, your script doesn't work without the rootkit and you already ran it so jail for you

So Kat asked them to fix her script to make it do what she wanted in the first place so she doesn't need the rootkit for it and they went "fair enough it's a pretty standard app" and dumped a thousand lines of code and Eula on her and she went "sounds good" and open palm slammed the accept button

She still has arrow.hax but she's pinky sworn not to use it and is basically on ether probation

Sounds about right. Meanwhile the Annies' ownership of Renard changed so they own him and not just the toy he's stuffed in, so he can bodyswap again but remains under their ownership regardless of what body he's in.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
When the interpreter goes all toothy, they remind me of Queenie from Back (ref). Just needs the glasses to make the impression perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh she doesn't even get a copy of the terms? Bogus.