Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota
I haven't played since prior to the megacorp expansion, my first game back in 2.3, and 7 out of the 15 other empires in my game are corporations.

Is that just a random outlier, or are corporations weighted more heavily on galaxy generation now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TMMadman posted:

gettin' swole

This is exactly why the default number of empires is way too low, somebody always gets to do this, but the AI doesn't know how to exploit it. Broken in single player, broken in multiplayer.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Darkrenown posted:

Leader levels act as +1 on your rolls. Difficultly levels act as -1. You can't fail sites, it just takes longer.

Thank you for answering, amigo. muchas gracias

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Is there a reason Habitats can't be built around moons? It's not like a celestial body being a moon precludes habitability, alot of habitable planets are also moons.

I say this because I wish it's possible to build Habitats on moons that contain strategic resources. You can build Habitats on planets, but it's total luck of the draw that your strategic resource deposit is on a planet rather than a moon.

In addition Darkrenown, is it possible to alter the habitat building UI so the option shows up on celestial bodies that already have mining/research stations on them? It's clunky that you need to manually delete the station befre the UI option shows up.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TMMadman posted:

An interesting feature is that the square+triangle constellation just above my civ icon contains the 5 ratling tombworlds, but they obviously won't spawn now.

As a swarm/purifier/exterminator or any kind of slavery focused empire, I tend to let them spawn, so I can then get a free 60 slaves/livestock once they show up. The downside is the waiting 20+ years from when you first discover their systems, but unless you really need a bunch of 0% habitability planets asap, I prefer to wait for them to pop.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I hate that it's still up to random chance what your fleets decide to actually target. A few years into a new game I get into a war with an enemy with an inferior fleet. I've got 20 corvettes while they have 12. Should be an easy clean win right? Well, it would if my ships all fought theirs instead of half deciding to target the outpost instead.

I don't really get why outposts even have the token missile launcher anyway. It's not enough to defend against anything, all it does is cause the fleet AI to spaz out like mining/research stations used to.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Devouring Swarm is fantastic. Does playing Hive Mind without Devouring Swarm still require me to deal with making claims and all that?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't really get why outposts even have the token missile launcher anyway. It's not enough to defend against anything, all it does is cause the fleet AI to spaz out like mining/research stations used to.

It keeps one or two enemy reinforcement corvettes from being able to retake a system you just conquered, which would be kind of annoying otherwise.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I played my first 2.3 game as the UNE with almost no mods, just to recalibrate my expectations for the game, and the new relic system is fantastic.

Now I'm playing as Driven Assimilators, and I spawned right next to the 6-planet tomb world cluster (Silent Colony, Decayed Hub, Fallen Outpost, etc.). Great, since my robits have 100% habitability. Then I finished the Baol precursor chain, which was new to me this game -- why yes, it is awesome to periodically spend 350 influence to terraform those tomb worlds into Gaia worlds and get four new pops to assimilate :unsmigghh:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PittTheElder posted:

This is exactly why the default number of empires is way too low, somebody always gets to do this, but the AI doesn't know how to exploit it. Broken in single player, broken in multiplayer.

That is actually with 12 AI systems plus myself, 2 FEs, 2 raiders. It also came about fairly organically. My original plan was to essentially stop and consolidate around the 15 year mark borders, but then I started surveying that square/triangle area which turned out to have the ratling worlds, so I quickly decided to claim them rather than let them spawn. And then I once I moved a couple systems past that, I realized that the area connected to the southern part of my territory, so I had to claim it.

Also, I started a new game tonight with a fanatic pacifist egalitarian civ (lmao I just realized now that I forgot to give my species traits) just to see the difference in the early game. I adopted expansion and the 10% reduction as my first 2 tradition picks and I still think it's the wrong decision. I also deliberately skipped Map the Stars again and I still found a bunch of anomalies. I still think I would rather hold that first 100 influence and use it to claim two systems quickly (technically you have to wait a few months to get enough influence to claim the 2nd system). I also pushed to build a colony ship, so I started building it in the middle of year 3 and started the colony in year 4 and it still won't be done until mid year 9. I can still only come to the conclusion that taking expansion with the first two picks is a waste, even with the 10% reduction in claim cost. I mean it just moves you from 75 influence to 67 influence which is only 3 months in the early game. Now sure, 3 months can mean the difference between getting a system and not getting it, but not usually within the first 10 years of the game.

At just under 9 years into that game, I have claimed 5 systems and about to claim my 6th, I've got a colony already started and about a year from finishing, my second colony ship is 140 days from being done, 7 corvettes with one more queued up, 4 science ships with leaders, 2 construction ships (the 2nd one was a waste, even though I'll obviously start using it at some point). That is without taking Map the Stars. I've surveyed 17 systems already and I have 7 anomalies to look at, plus I did 2 or 3 of them I think while doing my surveying. I've also done a couple of special 60 day research projects for the Mass Extinction event chain. I think I claimed two systems prior to getting the reduction perk, so I've saved I think 24 influence points and since I am only getting 3 influence per month, that is all of 8 months.

I still think my preferred tradition order is going to end up being 2 discovery, 2 expansion and then finishing it off or picking a couple supremacy picks if needed. And I'm also pretty sure I'm not going to be convinced that Map the Stars is worth it pretty much ever.

edit - Here's a picture at 10 years into the game:

I just contacted that other civ which gave me a nice 40 influence which let me claim my 7th system which would be where my 2nd colony ship is waiting for the science ship to finish its survey and the construction ship to claim the system.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 12, 2019

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lysidas posted:

I played my first 2.3 game as the UNE with almost no mods, just to recalibrate my expectations for the game, and the new relic system is fantastic.

Now I'm playing as Driven Assimilators, and I spawned right next to the 6-planet tomb world cluster (Silent Colony, Decayed Hub, Fallen Outpost, etc.). Great, since my robits have 100% habitability. Then I finished the Baol precursor chain, which was new to me this game -- why yes, it is awesome to periodically spend 350 influence to terraform those tomb worlds into Gaia worlds and get four new pops to assimilate :unsmigghh:

thinkin about borg robots meticulously terraforming planets in order to lure in unsuspecting organics for them to consume

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, I just did a quick check of the civ I used the most and I didn't have any starbase reduction costs on it, so all of my reasoning for not picking expansion first was based on the regular costs for claiming a system: 75 influence and 100 alloys.

And my conclusion is: it's a waste for the first couple of tradition picks. Also, Map the Stars is a waste and prevents you from claiming a system early in the game.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

thinkin about borg robots meticulously terraforming planets in order to lure in unsuspecting organics for them to consume

I picked up Nihilistic Acquisition on a Devouring Swarm once. It provided an alternative to taking planets I didn't think I could defend.

I then named all my fleets after delivery places.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So I've encountered something weird in one of my games. My basic resources keep rotating a -20 deficit and I'm not sure what's causing it.

Example (pretend I'm at +10 production values):

First month: Energy -10 / Minerals +10 / Food +10

Next month: Energy +10 / Minerals -10 / Food +10

Following month: Energy +10 / Minerals +10 / Food -10

repeat

Can someone explain to my helpless newbie rear end?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Xae posted:

I picked up Nihilistic Acquisition on a Devouring Swarm once. It provided an alternative to taking planets I didn't think I could defend.

Raiding stance is pretty much mandatory for hives of all types, but for swarms it really is all about poaching food.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is there an easy way to roll back mod versions in Steam? Tiny Outliner just broke in my 2.2.7 install.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So is it wrong that I'm almost always use slow breeding as my negative trait? Or rather that I use it for civs I am actually going to play, unless I'm creating a civ for a RP purpose or for a few test starts.

Like that negative can be almost immediately canceled out with an early tech and it gives you 2 extra trait points. It can also be dealt with through some of the government choices too.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Are ironman saves handled differently nowadays? I can't find the save file for my current game, and I want to investigate a weird bug where a special project on a planet released biological horrors or something, i lost the battle but now the planet is in some strange semi-colonised state where it shows as occupied but uninhabited. I can't invade because it's uninhabited, but it's still occupied and I can execute decisions, so I can't recolonise.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

So is it wrong that I'm almost always use slow breeding as my negative trait? Or rather that I use it for civs I am actually going to play, unless I'm creating a civ for a RP purpose or for a few test starts.

Like that negative can be almost immediately canceled out with an early tech and it gives you 2 extra trait points. It can also be dealt with through some of the government choices too.

Pop is king so slow breeding is bad. It won't doom you to failure though, and arguably non-adaptive is now worse.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
so I went to war on behalf of my dumb Fed allies (I know) and we've had the hated enemy at 100% war exhaustion for like 20 years but it just won't end. I even sent my giant fleet over there to help them, nope, it doesn't end. isn't a war supposed to end after one side has been 100 for a certain amount of time?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The tech card system is usually okay but sometimes it's real annoying when it refuses to roll a vital and not-rare tech. 50 years in and somehow it never once gave me the basic +30 naval capacity tech and I was surrounded by hostile empires so I never had the alloys or starbase capacity to spare for making anchorages. Eventually two empires that each had slightly larger individual fleets decided to declare a joint war to kick my teeth in. The situation also makes me realize that it's rather unfortunate that Stellaris doesn't really have any mechanics for making a comeback (or at least avoiding a death spiral). EU4 has revanchism, in CK2 you can become a vassal. Here you just get to watch helplessly as your civ gets picked apart.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Opened an L-Gate… to nowhere? The cluster appeared on the map, but I can’t travel to it, like there’s no destination gate there.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Aethernet posted:

Pop is king so slow breeding is bad. It won't doom you to failure though, and arguably non-adaptive is now worse.

But that's the thing, you can research gene mapping almost immediately (it often pops up as one of your first choices) which gives you +10% pop growth speed, essentially negating your negative. Habitability upgrades only come in 5% increments, so you need to do two of them to cover non-adaptive.

So I did another test start game, with a different civ from the post above. This was a post apocalyptic spiritual, xenophobic pacifist imperial empire that was focused on inward perfection. It was slow breeding and sedentary, but adaptive, intelligent and resilient. My starbase building costs were 60 influence and 100 alloys, which is less than you need for a civ with no modifiers other than the rushing the -10% reduction in the expansion tradition (67 influence/100 alloys). I had a fairly high starting unity because of the inward perfection, which obviously made traditions go faster.

I also immediately took the Map the Stars edict, but instead of rushing expansion, I adopted discovery first and took the faster survey speed for my second pick. I pushed to build my first colony ship a little earlier (at the start of year 3 instead of in the middle) and it started the colony around month 4-5 of year 4 with the projected date of year 9 to finish, which updated to year mid year 8 when I adopted expansion with my 3rd tradition pick. I used the 4th pick on the +1 pop because the colony would finish building about 5 months before I would be able to pick my 5th tradition. Just like the other game, I've got 7 corvettes (with 1 more on the way), 3 science ships with leaders (1 less than the other game, but I didn't need the 4th one yet), I've got 7 claimed systems and I'm about 6 months from being able to claim an 8th. I've surveyed 20 systems and there are at least 7 anomalies I haven't explored plus like 3 of them that I did explore while surveying because they were quick enough. The biggest difference between the two games is that I pushed to build my 2nd colony ship a bit faster and it started the colony shortly after the other one finished in mid year 8.

Here's what the game looks like 10 years in to compare to the other one:

edit - some differences can be attributed to the simple randomness of the galaxy. After all, the amount of stuff to scan differs between stars or your early economy might have some issues. For example, the above game start was slightly harder than the other game because the systems I was claiming didn't have much energy which meant I went into a slight energy deficit that I needed to cover.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 12, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

TMMadman posted:

But that's the thing, you can research gene mapping almost immediately (it often pops up as one of your first choices) which gives you +10% pop growth speed, essentially negating your negative. Habitability upgrades only come in 5% increments, so you need to do two of them to cover non-adaptive.

Slow growth still means you're ~9% behind someone without it once gene-mapping is researched. Bonuses in a 4x are to a large degree about relative benefits. In the very late game, once you've stacked all the pop growth bonuses, gene-modding bonus growth away(and in some cases picking up slow growth) but that's because that 10 or 20% growth bonus has a much smaller impact on your overall growth. Picking slow growth at the start means you're taking a growth penalty at the time it has the biggest impact.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TMMadman posted:

If you're playing against the AI there's no "wrong" or "should". It's not good that some options are mechanically light-years better than others (especially the +1 pop thing since that's due to a not great core game mechanic) but if you're playing single player or comp stomps it's fine to let theme and preference trump optimal choices. Again this is not to say that poor game balance is good or neutral, it is, in fact, bad, and should be pointed out and discussed so people can make informed choices and ideally have the root causes remedied. And it's definitely an issue in multiplayer. But for single player or co-op yeah just play the dude you want to play.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
But yeah slow growth is real bad unless you plan on going HAM on robots or multispecies ASAP

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Gimmick run: Repugnant, Solitary, Wasteful, Extremely Adaptive, Fast Breeders.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TMMadman posted:

It's not about "covering" anything because species that don't have -growth can also get those. 1/0.9 is only about 1% different from 1.1/1.

Because of the reliance on pops of getting more alloys, etc, you can (as a first approximation, in the early game) regard pop growth as exponential. It's super important.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I sometimes have slow breeders on my biotrophies when I'm playing servitor for gimmick reasons but it doesn't really make that much difference because they only produce unity and "productivity" and you get so much from them as is

I would never in a million years put slow breeders (or robot equivalent) on my main species

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Darkrenown posted:

It literally is.

(Just quoting so you're more likely to notice) Do you know if non-servitor gestalts are supposed to be able to get production centers (+15% alloys and consumer goods)? It gives a synapse drone job for hives, but they can't actually get it because the tech has the first civilian industries upgrade as a prereq. Seems kind of weird hives and non-servitor machine intelligences can't get a +15% alloy building.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Gimmick run: Repugnant, Solitary, Wasteful, Extremely Adaptive, Fast Breeders.

I bet this would actually go really well, especially if you matched it with FP or IP to reflect that the race is a bunch of uggos who hate other people, except for banging*.

*comedy option: FanXen and get xeno compatability asap for a galaxy full of people banging really hideous aliens.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe I just got a bad roll, but after spending 10k energy and a very long amount of time, but getting a 3G/3M/3A on a size 25 tomb world world after terraforming is a bit poo poo.

Edit: or maybe it's a bug? It feels like it should have far more planetary features.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Xerxes17 posted:

Maybe I just got a bad roll, but after spending 10k energy and a very long amount of time, but getting a 3G/3M/3A on a size 25 tomb world world after terraforming is a bit poo poo.

Edit: or maybe it's a bug? It feels like it should have far more planetary features.

Time for an ecumenopolis!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

2 SPOOKY posted:

Just getting back into the swing of things with my first few games since 2.1, and I’m curious - how are slavers with the new system? What’s the best slaver ethic/civic combo?

I used to enjoy playing an Imperial authoritarian/spiritualist empire with syncretic evo, but slaving looks fairly complicated now so I’ve been putting it off while I do more straightforward games.

Slavers are good-ish (and fun). Grab the ascension perk that lets you take raiding stance, it's OP - you can abduct 50 pops from an enemy planet and have them randomly distributed amongst your worlds without even having to go to any effort, within minutes of bombarding. As I mentioned in a recent post, I also highly recommend robots (whether set to servitude or not) even if you're not going synth ascension. I don't know how robots mix with spiritualist empires, but if you make the right choices when the robot rebellion begins to happen, synthetic robot workers are the best 'slaves' because unlike biological slaves they can work metallurgist and artisan jobs.

Which is the major downside to slaver empires. You're gonna have a ton of population but only a relatively minor percentage of it is going to be able to do jobs other than mining and farming - which is more of a downside than it was in the past. Absolutely take domestic servitude, because then at least all the unemployed slaves are going to give you ridiculous amounts of amenities for your unenslaved.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 12, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Xae posted:

You can also just take the planet and resettle everyone to your horror show colony filled with pops being devoured.

If a player swarm ever successfully grabs a planet it’s generally stripped of all native pops instantly and possibly abandoned depending on the strategic situation

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Xerxes17 posted:

Terraforming doesn't reroll the districts, it'll have the the same ones it randomly generated.

Definitely turn that bad boy into an Ecumenopolis.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Found an exploitable bug against the AI in war.

So when you conquer an enemy outpost, it takes a few months to start regaining any health and repairing itself. If you have your fleet leave that system before it's *begun* to repair, and an enemy fleet shows up in the empty system, ownership of the outpost flips to them automatically without a fight.

But, if instead of leaving the system, you just move your own fleet out of the way, the enemy will enter the system and fly straight at the outpost to conquer it. But, it can't, because the outpost has 1hp and no weapons and no battle ever starts. And because your fleet is still local, the ownership doesn't flip like it normally does. The enemy flies to the outpost and can't leave it's orbit for longer than a day before returning. You've basically leashed it to the sun as long as you have a warship in the system. I even experimented by bringing in a single Corvette, and having my big main fleet leave the system, and the situation didn't change. It completely immobilized the enemy and left me free to wrap up the war without resistance.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Black Pants posted:

I don't know how robots mix with spiritualist empires, but if you make the right choices when the robot rebellion begins to happen, synthetic robot workers are the best 'slaves' because unlike biological slaves they can work metallurgist and artisan jobs.

Could you elaborate? What choices do you mean?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Staltran posted:

Could you elaborate? What choices do you mean?

There is an option you can take during the warning events to patch the flaw in your robots, which prevents the uprising from fully triggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

binge crotching posted:

There is an option you can take during the warning events to patch the flaw in your robots, which prevents the uprising from fully triggering.

But you're not guaranteed to get the event that gives you that option. IIRC you have about a 50% chance to get it?