Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, noes! They gave Charwwotte a weally annoying accent in this twanswation!

Isn’t she supposed to be 15 or something? The fan translation seemed to treat her relatively normal.

They fixed Kevin from the fan translation but then broke Charlotte. Angela’s had the best improvement by far in this translation so far, she’s sassy and does not give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bruceski posted:

So is it Lise or Riesz in the official translation?

Riesz.

Also interested to know if they fixed Agility, which I understood was bugged into uselessness in the original.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mega64 posted:

Isn’t she supposed to be 15 or something?

They fixed Kevin from the fan translation but then broke Charlotte.

She's 15 but half-elf, so effectively younger. And yeah, pretty much.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, noes! They gave Charwwotte a weally annoying accent in this twanswation!

SD3 interview posted:

—Speaking of Charlotte, where did you come up with that unique way of speaking she has, where she ends everything with “dechi”.

Ishii: There’s already so many characters that say “dechuu”, so we went with “dechi” instead. Of course if you heard a real kid talk like that, you’d probably think there was something wrong in the head with them.

Source

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Bruceski posted:

Answered already but its been 100% confirmed to be Riesz as of Arcana Blood's English release. They use it here as well along with Hawkeye(as he was in heroes of mana) and Charlotte.

Rand Brittain posted:

Riesz.

Also interested to know if they fixed Agility, which I understood was bugged into uselessness in the original.
Its still doesn't work outside forcibly having Hawkeye get some points to get his skills.

Charlotte was always kinda broken in her speech but making her go full on Elmer Fudd is a bit too much.
When Dr. Light did it, it was hilarious because he barely had lines.

W/E Riesz is cuter and dorkier and Angela is saucier, im happy.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 12, 2019

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
After the rad trailer and combat and the dude coming on stage “let’s mosey” I’m now all apprehensive. There just isn’t enough content in Midgar for an entire JRPG, not unless you bring forth a huge chunk of plot points, stuff it with filler side quests, etc. And the old style overworld will not work, that was a technical workaround that will not fly. And there’s no way you can build a FFXV detailed world to FFVII scale.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Phobophilia posted:

After the rad trailer and combat and the dude coming on stage “let’s mosey” I’m now all apprehensive. There just isn’t enough content in Midgar for an entire JRPG, not unless you bring forth a huge chunk of plot points, stuff it with filler side quests, etc. And the old style overworld will not work, that was a technical workaround that will not fly. And there’s no way you can build a FFXV detailed world to FFVII scale.

I could see them giving you the short live buggy early on the game and having roads to travel on like XV. Or something like the almost never use rental cars from VIII with the XV driving.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://twitter.com/PunishedNomura/status/1138562429103857667

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel so conflicted about this remake.

I'm really into the idea of fleshing out scenes like this, and adding more personality and interaction between the characters. The party is overall pretty grreat, and to feel some deeper camaraderie between them would be great. XV did this really great and managed to make an incredibly bare bones and barely there story still resonate for me.

But depending on how long these episodes end up being, and how many there end up being (assuming any more than the first one comes out lmao) idk how on board I am with fleshing it out too much. Or changing too much. For instance, spreading Midgar out into one game is a pretty cool idea tbh, I'm hella down with having a huge Midgar to explore and new weird characters and storylines to find. I just don't want it to feel so long I start getting sick of the already kinda convoluted at times story I really still dig to this day.

Also, in general, I'm p concerned about having too much Sephiroth in the first game, though it's hard to make a Final Fantasy VII remake and not have a lot of Sephiroth in it, even if it's not telling the part of the story he's super relevant in. Not seeing or hearing much about Sephiroth, other than a sword sticking out of President Shinra's back, until Cloud tells his story in Kalm was A++++++. Sephiroth isn't really relevant until that point, where up until then the main enemy seems to just be Shinra in general, until you wander into the spooky rear end poo poo going on in Shinra Tower and we get a glimpse of Jenova, Hojo's lab, etc.

That said, if they're spending more time in Midgar they may well just have Cloud tell the Nibelheim story while in Midgar. So maybe Cloud being haunted by visions of Sephiroth won't feel so ... idk, like it's jumping the gun?

It's just a tough game to remake in general, because adding poo poo like that is theoretically beneficial/cool to the people who are already well versed in the story, but then for new players who may never play the original they'll get it in a much more different way than I guess I was expecting. And that's a shame b/c the original game is incredibly charming.

:shrug:

At least I'm actually looking forward to playing it now, instead of just wondering why the gently caress it exists. The gameplay looks p fun and like more of what I wanted out of what XV had to offer, and wandering around an expanded Midgar will be a good time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add but when there is nothing left to take away.

Pacing was one of ff7's strong points.

E: hey this literal eco terrorist has strong opinions on the environment oh word? Good thing they added some extra dialog to clear that one up.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 12, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sapozhnik posted:

:yeah:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sapozhnik posted:

E: hey this literal eco terrorist has strong opinions on the environment oh word? Good thing they added some extra dialog to clear that one up.

if it's just idle party banter as you walk through areas like it is in ff15, i can see it working really well. but it means they have to write a poo poo ton of lines timed to your progress through the game and then make sure they don't repeat.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I haven't played xv but xiii was a much smaller game than vii. I could picture padding Midgar out to that length.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add but when there is nothing left to take away.

I for one am all for the irony of Cloud calling someone else mentally ill

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd be more interested in playing the original Seiken Densetsu 3 over any remake because the late-SNES-era sprite-work is absolutely killer and something I'd really like to see return in a modern RPG throwback.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'd be more interested in playing the original Seiken Densetsu 3 over any remake because the late-SNES-era sprite-work is absolutely killer and something I'd really like to see return in a modern RPG throwback.

I think this sentence is literally the thought process that led to Octopath Traveller.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'd be more interested in playing the original Seiken Densetsu 3 over any remake

Well, you can

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm glad I'm not the only one not jazzed about FFVII Remake.

Like I'm not a big VII fan to begin with so that's definitely part of it, but it feels very soulless and heavy and the combat looks dire. I'dve killed for just some updated graphics, I don't need a 10x longer fight against the scorpion tank with less than exciting combat and constant dialogue.

Maybe the final product will be more exciting but other than some pretty character models, what we've seen so far doesn't look interesting at all. Maybe it'll be worth watching an LP.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
VII The Re-Imagining Part 1 of Who The gently caress Knows is just like... a thing that is happening, I guess.

Looking forward to VIII HD at least. That's rad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I think this sentence is literally the thought process that led to Octopath Traveller.

And I'm loving glad it did!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dragonatrix posted:

Looking forward to VIII HD at least. remake in 2030. That's rad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think they will remake 8

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Do a remake of ff2 instead

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Love to see people who couldn't remember basic plot points from ff7 a few months ago now incredibly worried about the remake ruining the absolute perfection of the original script.

The only thing dumber are people sure it's not actually going to be out finished because they only showed offed a boss fight and had a playable demo at e3 and didn't show the whole game..

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

mandatory lesbian posted:

I for one am all for the irony of Cloud calling someone else mentally ill

This, unironically.

I’m actually pretty cool with what they’re doing with the remake all round. I have the first game, if the remake is bad it’ll still exist. I’d rather they make massive changes, and if all the parts don’t come out, they don’t come out, so be it. I want to see what they do with a whole game of Midgar.

The gameplay was the thing I was most worried about, and that looks solid.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 12, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Love to see people who couldn't remember basic plot points from ff7 a few months ago now incredibly worried about the remake ruining the absolute perfection of the original script.

The only thing dumber are people sure it's not actually going to be out finished because they only showed offed a boss fight and had a playable demo at e3 and didn't show the whole game..

i suspect you don't actually love that at all!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FFVII is like Blade Runner in that when you rewatch/replay it you remember how much goofier the work is in reality: The catfight on Junon cannon, Palmer slapping his rear end, combating grief with snowboarding, a Bear wearing a marshmallow, Let's Mosey. Stuff that is the core of the game that would have to be retold with a deft hand in a 3D remake.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just want to see the dog walking around upright in glorious fully rendered people clothes while humans fail to register it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
red xiii, wearing a sailor suit and trying to stand up straight with legs that bend the wrong way: Behold My Cunning Disguise

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF7R is trash unless I can have Barrett in a sailor suit the entire game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mega64 posted:

FF7R is trash unless I can have Barrett in a sailor suit the entire game.

Also, I better be able to go on a date with him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I know it won't be for a few decades since it's near the end of the game, but if this line isn't in the remake, unaltered and fully voice acted, I'm gonna riot:

He's saying this to an actual dog, because the dog is blocking his path.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1138527675163848705

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Bruceski posted:

Rierith

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Riethz, surely

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

https://imgur.com/gallery/uyMmg7m

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's Riesz.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So how is this going to work when the second part comes out in 20XX? Will your save file in part one carry over all the items and gear you have to part two? I'm sure they'll make it so you will get Yuffie and Vincent added to your party instead of possibly never meeting them. Will they be met in Midgar now or will that have to wait until part two?

Have I thought about this more than Square has?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

One fairly simple way they can expand Midgar without messing about too much with the story is to have you play as the other characters while Cloud is incapacitated. After he falls into the Midgar Church, you can take control of Barrett and Tifa as they find out about Don Corneo, you could even play as Tifa at the Honeybee Inn, etc.

I'm sure this is something SE has already considered. At least I hope it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Star Man posted:

So how is this going to work when the second part comes out in 20XX? Will your save file in part one carry over all the items and gear you have to part two? I'm sure they'll make it so you will get Yuffie and Vincent added to your party instead of possibly never meeting them. Will they be met in Midgar now or will that have to wait until part two?

Have I thought about this more than Square has?

Yeah they haven't thought about the second part at all yet.