Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks, I'll just stick with my Pi for now. The only thing I miss is some extra power for some N64 and PS1 games. What other alternatives are out there? That are kinda cheap of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

evil_bunnY posted:

It's a loving $100 piece of electronics, no sane person's gonna give you any poo poo over it

I've got a LattePanda Alpha and I've only used it for Netflix and playing FF7 on retroarch. :smug:

SpaceAceJase fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 13, 2019

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Thanks, I'll just stick with my Pi for now. The only thing I miss is some extra power for some N64 and PS1 games. What other alternatives are out there? That are kinda cheap of course.

Odroid N2 is 60$ and doesn't suck. It'll require a case and stuff, just like a Pi would. ETA Prime on YouTube has a bunch of demos of it doing GC/N64/PS1/DC without issue.

I ended up going with the Sheild anyway. IMO if you can find it for $140, buy it

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
For Christmas I bought myself the hardware, a nespi case, and an SD card loaded with like 15,000 games. Had a great time with it until I started having some software problems.

I was changing a few setting and I wanted to check out AttractMode. Didn’t like it and went to change it back to EmulationStation. Now every time I try and select a different option in the RetroPi menu it flashes some command prompt lines for a quarter second and just sends me back to the RetroPi menu. Won’t reboot to EmulationStation, won’t do anything.

I’m not good with coding so I probably should have made a backup of the SD card as soon as I got it. Will mess with it less next time.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Multi quote across pages on the mobile app? Sorry, no.

In the last couple of days whatever was broken with the graphics on the Jetson nano came good. It doesn't segfault any more whe trying to run some things.

I wouldn't say it has any custom AI stuff. It's just CUDA cores. Yet they are newer CUDA cores than my PC. And I don't need to worry about the x64 lack of AVX issue. It's a way around building a new PC to be able to still do some things I want.

About the same time I ordered a Grove AI HAT. It hasn't shipped yet. I was pleasantly surprised to see seeed has released Jetson libs for it.

Really, unless you want OpenGL or CUDA on an aarch64 platform, don't bother. I did. The CPU part is nothing spectacular. I suspect some RAM disappears into the nVidia drivers.
It comes stock with Unity, which is as cumbersome as all hell on it.

Now the ??? Graphics issue is sorted I tried running a few things. Minetest runs okay. Really I couldn't think of much to try it with.
The Ubuntu software manager thing is best avoided. Pretty sure it tries to install x86 snaps for some things.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hmm mildly interesting; Banana Pi BPI-M4 has a USB-C port for power, rather than micro-usb

I've been using a USB-C adapter for my pi for a while, but it's nice to see SBC manufacturers bite the bullet and jump to USB-C finally, even if this is the first somewhat mainstream USB-C board, if you can call it that

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Hmm mildly interesting; Banana Pi BPI-M4 has a USB-C port for power, rather than micro-usb

I've been using a USB-C adapter for my pi for a while, but it's nice to see SBC manufacturers bite the bullet and jump to USB-C finally, even if this is the first somewhat mainstream USB-C board, if you can call it that

That is interesting. IIRC nVidia couldn't get the USB-C working right on their nano backplane. Weirdly they laid out the board so it could be populated with a USB-C or Micro USB connector still, and put the Micro USB connector on. It makes me wonder why the traces were left, and why they couln't make it happen in the first place.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
If you get a board working, you don't make changes unnecessarily. So if the extra traces don't hurt anything, better to leave them than risk another board spin for no reason

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Does anyone know of a sbc with multiple audio outs? I want to set up a headless Spotify box that can high/low pass output to a set of speakers and a subwoofer, but everything I'm seeing has one or fewer audio jacks. Am I stuck going with a USB soundcard?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The hifi berry hat has SP/DIF, and lots of clones floating around, too, if that helps

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ItBreathes posted:

Does anyone know of a sbc with multiple audio outs? I want to set up a headless Spotify box that can high/low pass output to a set of speakers and a subwoofer, but everything I'm seeing has one or fewer audio jacks. Am I stuck going with a USB soundcard?

There's probably a way to do this in software between the Pi's internal output and one of the HAT-style stereo DACs, but a USB 5.1 sound card is probably the easiest option.

Or something like this, I guess: https://www.amazon.com/WINGONEER-WX6000-Multifunction-Expansion-Raspberry/dp/B06XCFBTVW

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
You don't want to use the Pi's analog audio output for anything that you care about audio quality either. It's a really crappy PWM-based output. Use a good quality USB audio adapter and go wild.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
How was it possible for me to break my RPi3 to the point that it won’t even boot by just installing a reset switch on the RUN header?

I’m really bummed about it. It worked for a while and then just stopped. The solder job (first ever) wasn’t perfect and I have a vague thought that it felt a bit loose.

Desoldered the header. Made sure there was nothing left anywhere and tested with a multimeter. Still won’t boot.

I can’t imagine what I’ve done here. I’ll say that the first time I attempted it I didn’t realise I’d soldered the switch wrongly so both cables were on the wrong side so it spent quite a whole effectively being shorted to ground before I realised, but it did work after that.

Any ideas?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Is it really not shorted, even a little? It looks like it could be and it wouldn't take much to pull a logic signal down to 0.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

Is it really not shorted, even a little? It looks like it could be and it wouldn't take much to pull a logic signal down to 0.

Possibly, but I’ve got some solder wick now so I’m going to properly clean it up and see what I can do.

Also I bought a 3B+ anyway now so I’ve got an upgrade for LibreElec. Any fix going forward is a bonus.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Get a magnifying glass on to it before fiddling any more. If there is a bridge it'll be a lot easier to see. Usually less destructive to remove it with the hot tip of your soldering iron.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
As a sanity check too, throw away the SD card you were using and flash a brand new known good one. Assuming you thought you could solder on an easy to flick on/off switch for the Pi, you very well might have trashed the SD card's filesystem by turning it off abruptly during a write. Linux small board computers do not like having power directly interrupted, like when you force a reset at the power/hardware level. The desoldering job looks pretty decent to me and I don't see any obvious bridges. I would bet you trashed the card.

The proper way to add a hardware off switch to the Pi is to add a button to the GPIOs and configure the kernel to do a proper shutdown when pressed: https://www.stderr.nl/Blog/Hardware/RaspberryPi/PowerButton.html (only use the gpio-shutdown line they mention these days, the systemd stuff is legacy that will confuse you and isn't needed with modern kernels)

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 19, 2019

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Tbh it looks like you've completely trashed the via and might not have continuity across those two traces, or a short to ground

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Soldering poo poo directly to a modern computer PCB is a really bad way to learn as a newbie, and doubly so if you don't have a temperature controlled soldering iron. If you are using $10 generic radio shack crap it's important to know that it can be hot enough to gently caress up the board if you leave it in contact for too long. And if you don't have practice it will take too long.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Oh, I do have a proper one thankfully. I’m just cackhanded.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Update: my old Pi3 is definitely toast, the replacement PiB3+ is DOA which was very irritating.

But... I used some solder wick to correct my dodgy header job on my Zero that I moved over to instead and I finally have an LED blinking away on a breadboard.

Did it. Finally. I feel good.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a reason why two of my LEDs, connected to physical pins 3 and 5, are turned on by default, albeit at a dim brightness, low voltage? Should I pick more normal GPIO pins instead?

My script overrides and controls them properly but it looks weird when I boot the Pi.

Edit: that’s exactly what I did and now it’s fine. As you were.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 22, 2019

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

thehustler posted:

Is there a reason why two of my LEDs, connected to physical pins 3 and 5, are turned on by default, albeit at a dim brightness, low voltage? Should I pick more normal GPIO pins instead?

My script overrides and controls them properly but it looks weird when I boot the Pi.

Edit: that’s exactly what I did and now it’s fine. As you were.

You need to be using pull-down resistors.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/a-simple-explanation-of-pull-down-and-pull-up-resistors-660b308f116a/

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Didn't touch my raspberry+recalbox (I had retropie in the past, edited) in a while but, I read that there's a script to turn it off to minimize the risk of corrupting the data, right? (I'm a complete newbie when it comes to raspberry stuff sorry)

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 22, 2019

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

So, next question is: if I want to turn my new breadboard design into something more permanent, and I go for veroboard or something, can you stick a female 40 pin header on it and make a kind of ghetto HAT?

I guess you’d have to cut a bunch of tracks, though.

I don’t want to buy one of those prototyping HATs because I want to feel like I’m making it myself.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I have some 330ohms on them, from the initial tutorial I followed.

Edit: or do you mean enable the on-pin ones?

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 22, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It depends on what color they are. Different color LEDs need different resistors.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

thehustler posted:

So, next question is: if I want to turn my new breadboard design into something more permanent, and I go for veroboard or something, can you stick a female 40 pin header on it and make a kind of ghetto HAT?

I guess you’d have to cut a bunch of tracks, though.

I don’t want to buy one of those prototyping HATs because I want to feel like I’m making it myself.

Sure, you could get some veroboard and a 40 pin female connector or a couple of single rows of 20, but there's really no reason not to use a dev HAT. you still have to solder the header on and everything else. I've used heaps of the things for different projects, if you could call them that.
I know I did an audio breakout for a pi zero, an OLED / RTC / DAC backplane, and a dev board that let me develop on an Orange Pi PC remotely including a relay for power cycling.
Im sure there were others along that basic theme.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status/1143036104314118144

Raspberry Pi 4, with ~*~ full throughput ~*~ ethernet (as well as dual monitor support??)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That seems pretty nice, although I imagine 4GB of RAM will make it cost a little more than $35. Still, for a workload that can use it that ought to be cool.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rexxed posted:

That seems pretty nice, although I imagine 4GB of RAM will make it cost a little more than $35. Still, for a workload that can use it that ought to be cool.

Rexxed posted:

gently caress yea it’s about at the “real PC” status! It’s $55 for the 4GB version.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

to be honest I think having a standard HDMI port is a more valuable feature than being able to drive two displays but whatever i guess

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah I was pumped by the better cpu and 4gb of RAM but 2x micro HDMI is kinda meh. At least it looks like a good improvement compared to the previous models and USB-C is great since my wife and I use C type cables on our phones.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah, just means everyone will have to buy more adapters. But am liking finally getting USB3.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The specs are getting to the point where it could be used as a normal computer for some applications, but it would be a lot more practical if it had an m.2 slot or something.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I might just get one for my wife solely to make her ditch her lovely netbook she's been using for years with Win7 (running awfully) if I just plug this thing to the living room's tv.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's a timely video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXCjpJasvG0

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Any word as to whether the microSD speed will be higher than on the 3B?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone do a boot menu to load tftp images off a container on a NAS or something like that? Was thinking this might be a nice alternative to not have to change sd card boot images.

I was having a look at amiga emulators too, feeling nostalgic for some old games and demos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Any word as to whether the microSD speed will be higher than on the 3B?