Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

goodness posted:

The machine grows

I'm looking for a budget audio interface to handle this stuff, are the cheaper Behringers good enough for that?

Yeah, I actually grabbed a U-Phoria interface after an old MOTU unit I had been using fried itself to death in a thunderstorm, and Ive been very pleasantly surprised with how good it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Check the Behringer website to see if it comes with an actual low latency driver package instead of a link to asio4all. If there are drivers for your OS, it's fine.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I have a U-Phoria UMC1820 and it's great!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Some further thoughts on the Deluge...

I've discovered the joy of modulating an LFO with another LFO, so now all of my instruments have that woob-wooob-wooob-WOOOB-WOOOB-WOOOOOB-WOOOOB-woooob-woob-woob sound. Definitely can't overdo that sound. Good stuff.

Recording notes on the audition pads, and even just programming in notes on the piano roll grid, is a little frustrating. There are only eight rows, so you have exactly one octave of one scale. If you want anything outside that octave, you have to scroll. Worse, if you want to use any notes outside the scale, that now occupies a row, so you've exceeded the eight rows and have to scroll to even get the single octave you had before. And that means four pads up from the tonic may no longer be your 5 note, so inputting notes is even harder. Don't even ask about key changes. I guess I should learn how to play a keyboard. I don't know if that solves the piano roll issue, though.

I'm getting better at using the arranger mode, which is a really cool way to turn a loop into a track. I start by making a 3-5 instrument loop that sounds cool, move that into arranger mode, and start making variations, an intro, etc. Pretty soon the song is 2-3 minutes long. You can also tweak a lot of parameters directly in arranger mode, which helps discover some cool automation possibilities for variations.

Having the thing record playback directly to the SD card as a WAV is really cool. No need for an audio interface on your computer.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 2, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ColdPie posted:

Recording notes on the audition pads, and even just programming in notes on the piano roll grid, is a little frustrating. There are only eight rows, so you have exactly one octave of one scale. If you want anything outside that octave, you have to scroll. Worse, if you want to use any notes outside the scale, that now occupies a row, so you've exceeded the eight rows and have to scroll to even get the single octave you had before. And that means four pads up from the tonic may no longer be your 5 note, so inputting notes is even harder. Don't even ask about key changes. I guess I should learn how to play a keyboard. I don't know if that solves the piano roll issue, though.

This is slightly related but the thing that is both awesome and frustrating about the Mother-32 is the sequencer. It's extremely flexible, but it also requires a boatload of interface memorization to program with any sort of speed. The fact that it has such a flexible sequencer is the main thing that keeps me from getting a dedicated sequencer module, but that annoyance is always at the back of my mind when I'm using it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Do you guys know any nice FM synthesis resources?

Everything I can find mostly retreads a very particular slice of introduction to FM, starting with a general overview that amounts to some basic interactions between two operators, ending with three-four examples of basic/classic sounds (piano, brass, pads, etc.) that honestly amount to explaining Yamaha-style envelopes, with the one interesting bit being that the piano is essentially made of two separate sounds. Past that, one is entirely on their own and left to reverse-engineer patches. Ain't there anything in between, nobody sharing their tips, findings and recipes for making the fattest donks, like there's lots for subtractive synthesis?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Have you read the Sound on Sound Synth Secrets stuff? It talks a bit about the relationship between carrier/operator relationships and harmonics, and I think it mentions the kernel that FM bass was/is sought after cause it's easy to drop an un-modulated sin operator on the fundamental and get a very pure sine at an easily controllable sub frequency that way no matter what else is happening harmonically (which, like, a resonating Moog-style LP filter won't do, for example). Learning how to make the noise of a filter sweeping a saw (?) using two sin waves was an interesting lesson, and widely applicable. Recipe sharing mostly happens in the form of DX7 sysex, which lots of different synths (VSTs too) will read.

But at least a couple years ago when I was looking, there wasn't really much out there - it started as a very academic thing, and then the Yamaha lines patented a version that made it to consumers mostly as preset boxes. The synth secrets sections on it are a bit better than most of whats out there, but they definitely left me wanting, and the next step up I could see was cracking academic synthesis textbooks.

Also, for fun, analog FM has been getting bigger recently - I forget where exactly I found this but if this is your cup of tea, digging into old Grant Richter Wiard manuals for his oscillators, particularly the Anti-Oscillator, might turn up something about making weird noises with triangle waves. This is kind of a sideshow though, but with the Euro boom recently it's been getting more popular.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Lichtenstein posted:

Do you guys know any nice FM synthesis resources?

Everything I can find mostly retreads a very particular slice of introduction to FM, starting with a general overview that amounts to some basic interactions between two operators, ending with three-four examples of basic/classic sounds (piano, brass, pads, etc.) that honestly amount to explaining Yamaha-style envelopes, with the one interesting bit being that the piano is essentially made of two separate sounds. Past that, one is entirely on their own and left to reverse-engineer patches. Ain't there anything in between, nobody sharing their tips, findings and recipes for making the fattest donks, like there's lots for subtractive synthesis?

Howard Massey - The Complete DX7

Yamaha's envelopes aren't that weird, just saddled with the same disease as any digital engineer's wet dream who figured that they now finally should make sforzando possible; split everything up in time/level/rate stuff.

Donks are 4 op at most and 2 ops already gets you somewhere.

The most important part is to learn that 6-op FM synthesis is composite synthesis. You treat groups of 2 or 3 operators as 3 or 2 oscillators and stack stack stack.

I still have no idea how they figured out how to do string sounds, I'm almost thinking they applied analysis to translate it to additive synthesis and then worked out the FM operator ratios back from that.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Oh to be a wandering billionaire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XrPLBSlopQ

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
FM Theory and Applications (Chowning/Bristow, the Chowning who developed digital FM) goes into a lot of detail explaining how you should expect carrier/modulator pairs to introduce new harmonics, stopping short of going through the actual calculations of the Fourier transform. They also talk about how bandwidth limitations specific to the DX7 can be abused for sound design.

In the other direction, Element433 has a pretty great series on youtube that show how to build up patches one oscillator at a time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPa6VLi4GQ

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

You'd think that the guy would have a Yamaha GX-1, how disappointing

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Gorewar posted:

You'd think that the guy would have a Yamaha GX-1, how disappointing

I'm sure his personal PERSONAL collection has even more poo poo.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

this is done!

https://imgur.com/a/ZnQfyvd

Pretty happy with how it came out. Definitely cant gig with these stands but they're perfect for home use.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

this is done!

https://imgur.com/a/ZnQfyvd

Pretty happy with how it came out. Definitely cant gig with these stands but they're perfect for home use.

Well that's cool.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
poo poo now I've got laser envy worse than ever.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I was in an OCD mood and decided to buy a few knobs and faceplates so I could get this:

First time I feel like the cases are completed. Don't even feel like buying new modules (for now)

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I was in an OCD mood and decided to buy a few knobs and faceplates so I could get this:

First time I feel like the cases are completed. Don't even feel like buying new modules (for now)

None more black
How’s the Erica?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Startyde posted:

None more black
How’s the Erica?

The sequencer is really nice and they keep updating it. I love the overdrive, the bassline and the cymbals. It's not exactly their techno system though: I swapped a few modules I don't like/need (Toms, sample drum, outputs, modulation) but otherwise they really work well together. It's quite expensive for what is basically a drum machine but it sounds great and is really fun to play with.

Also they have announced this lol

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Jealous of the black Keystep. My toys are all black too, I reluctantly got the White Keystep based on all the great reviews, then 2 weeks later they announced the black.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The sequencer is really nice and they keep updating it. I love the overdrive, the bassline and the cymbals. It's not exactly their techno system though: I swapped a few modules I don't like/need (Toms, sample drum, outputs, modulation) but otherwise they really work well together. It's quite expensive for what is basically a drum machine but it sounds great and is really fun to play with.

Also they have announced this lol

Nice lol

I actually thought the pricing wasn't bad for what you get. Everything modular is "expensive for what is basically ..." so can't fault them for that :v:
The thing I was mostly interested in when it was announced was the normaling. To what is its extent? And how? Are they running some non-standard signaling over the CV bus or are there other interconnects between the modules and sequencer?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm going to do some soldering this weekend for the first time in while. Just some simple stuff to warm-up. :rimshot: Tonight: vactrols!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Startyde posted:

Nice lol

I actually thought the pricing wasn't bad for what you get. Everything modular is "expensive for what is basically ..." so can't fault them for that :v:
The thing I was mostly interested in when it was announced was the normaling. To what is its extent? And how? Are they running some non-standard signaling over the CV bus or are there other interconnects between the modules and sequencer?

The drum line modules and the sequencer can be connected internally with some cables sold separately. Of course I bought the first run of the sequencer and of course it's missing the pins to connect those cable and I don't solder.

If you buy the techno system it does come internally patched though. I just purchased the modules separately. But I can live with a few more cables in the front.

There's also normalling in the dual modules. Dual fx and dual drive have channel one in normalled to two so you can run two effects on the same source

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
oh poo poo, just got an email that my VC340 has shipped, guess they're finally in stock!

edit: lmao here's an original VP-330 going for $4200-
https://reverb.com/p/roland-vocoder-plus-vp-330

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 9, 2019

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
My homemade vactrol LPG is doing great! I'm going to need a lot more practice before trying something bigger, but I'm happy it functions.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A local producer is selling his decked-out MPC2000XL for a pretty good price. I've always wanted one and I kind of have the cash to burn... I've always wanted to learn how to make the more 'rootsy' kinds of D&B and Breakbeat that typically involve less synthesizer sound design and more heavy usage (or emulation) of samplers. As someone who enjoys _integrating gear_ I would love the challenge that something like an MPC would introduce to the writing process, but the other part of me is a bit worried that I'm just experiencing GAS symptoms of rationalizing another gear purchase. Thoughts on this? The classic breakbeats do sound loving dope through the MPC, and I'm sure I could wrap my head around using it for basslines and finally getting that proper neuro sound that a synth alone cannot achieve.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 11, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
welp I pulled the trigger (xpost from the new instrument/gear purchases thread)

I've always wanted one of these and a big local producer just put his up for sale. It's fully expanded, eight outs, FX card, CF reader and everything. Time to install 2KXL and watch hours of tutorial videos, also completely redo my I/O configuration.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Mister Speaker posted:

welp I pulled the trigger (xpost from the new instrument/gear purchases thread)

I've always wanted one of these and a big local producer just put his up for sale. It's fully expanded, eight outs, FX card, CF reader and everything. Time to install 2KXL and watch hours of tutorial videos, also completely redo my I/O configuration.

I am so loving jealous. I make sample-based hip-hop and have been looking for the 2000XL for a while now. And you got it in the sick blue color! Well done sir.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

MrSargent posted:

I am so loving jealous. I make sample-based hip-hop and have been looking for the 2000XL for a while now. And you got it in the sick blue color! Well done sir.

Thank you chum. The GAS never ends, and I have it bad for like different hobbies right now but music is my first passion... I'm going to get off my rear end and actually start writing some syncopated breakbeat stuff with it. Will make sure to post some stuff along the journey.

There's gotta be some packs of the classic breaks already setup for an MPC floating around there, right? Don't get me wrong, I want to dive in and learn to cut my own stuff... I have some particular ideas about slicing up and loving with neuro basses out of my synthesizer, since that's how this stuff was born in the first place, on samplers.

But it would be nice to have the classic breaks ready to go on it for jungle madness.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 12, 2019

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I had a 2000XL for a while but couldn't find the time to learn it properly so I sold it to someone who could. It's super fun even just to play around with, though, and sounds so drat good, you did a good thing taking that beast off the market. I still kinda wish I had it, sometimes, nothing makes beats flow and sound like it.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

There's gotta be some packs of the classic breaks already setup for an MPC floating around there, right? Don't get me wrong, I want to dive in and learn to cut my own stuff...

If you can convert Rex files to whatever format MPC uses I should have a bunch somewhere, that would mean they were sliced correctly at hitpoints and poo poo. Might be an easy jumping off point.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Chop your beats by hand'n'ear, dammit, and build up those MPC workflow virtuosity muscles. :wookie:

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

So Math posted:

My homemade vactrol LPG is doing great! I'm going to need a lot more practice before trying something bigger, but I'm happy it functions.

That's such a cool case idea. Good job and I wish I had any skill with electronics to make things like that. Did a simple breadboard 555 noise maker and just swapped out different resistors/photoresistors just to make different sounds but that's about it.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Fuckin' Yamaha Montage is ALL I NEED for beats and poo poo. It's ridiculous what it can do.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-pellegrino-146151417/time-to-go

Punch in the face starts at 1 minute.

gently caress yeah.

Granted, it's probably costs a little more. Just a little.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

If you can convert Rex files to whatever format MPC uses I should have a bunch somewhere, that would mean they were sliced correctly at hitpoints and poo poo. Might be an easy jumping off point.

Come to think of it I think I have the Jungle Warfare breaks in REX already, thanks for the reminder.

I haven't even set it up yet, need more cables and to figure out how I'm going to route everything.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Fors Yard posted:

That's such a cool case idea. Good job and I wish I had any skill with electronics to make things like that. Did a simple breadboard 555 noise maker and just swapped out different resistors/photoresistors just to make different sounds but that's about it.

If they put the patch points/power inputs on the back end of the cassettes instead of the sides/top you could have an entire rack setup that just looks like a bunch of VCR tapes on a shelf.

Then there could also be a "VHS vs BETA" format war for this new synth standard.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

stillvisions posted:

If they put the patch points/power inputs on the back end of the cassettes instead of the sides/top you could have an entire rack setup that just looks like a bunch of VCR tapes on a shelf.

Then there could also be a "VHS vs BETA" format war for this new synth standard.

:yeah: I'm not quite happy with the exposed holes on the bottom, but the reels take up a lot of space if I leave them in. I guess with your way I could just leave the cassette in the cardboard box?

That will have to wait, though -- next project is a bipolar rectifier in a spice jar. I reverse engineered the schematic looking at the build instructions for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuFjYCd-yf8

So Math fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 12, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mistayke posted:

Fuckin' Yamaha Montage is ALL I NEED for beats and poo poo. It's ridiculous what it can do.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-pellegrino-146151417/time-to-go

Punch in the face starts at 1 minute.

gently caress yeah.

Granted, it's probably costs a little more. Just a little.

If I had a montage, I’d be quoting 30 Rock every single time I walked by it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
So this thing is very nicely built with thick wood endpieces, the keybed feels good (same as any midrange Yamaha/Roland/Korg/Sequential/etc synth), and sounds great...

except there's no sound out of the mains, only the headphone jack. Looks like Behringer QC is still doing it's (lack of any)thing!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Guess I'm two-for-two for Behringer items purchased vs. Behringer items that have something that doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier