Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This isn't a topic that is going to be productive so just move on to something else, please.

Edit:

Steve Austin's podcast is returning, no idea who his guests might be but I'd be hopeful he'd be interesting in talking to some AEW guys (especially Moxley). Given WWE are apparently forking out big money to him every year simply to NOT be on any other wrestling promotion though I wouldn't be surprised if they had some kind of deal in place to keep him from doing that.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

Dave mentioned that Vince forgot how to ride a bike - is that an established story? Because that’s really worrying :stare:

I am the first to complain about Meltzer not reporting things but he has a very difficult job covering WWE for the time being.

Early last week I said to expect to hear a lot more about Vince's memory issues. And said that expect a lot of very specific stories to come out publically. Unfortunately, they haven't. I've heard a lot of them and you can only come to the same conclusion that most people who work closely with Vince do. He is allegedly suffering from dementia. Meltzer's tone about the Company's future has changed a fair bit in the last three weeks or so. Which is around the time stories started to really creep out. The decline in the product in the last year, him turning 74 in August and suffering as many concussions or severe knocks on the head over the years can only pull you in that direction too.

Meltzer with the position of authority he holds in Wrestling, in the sports media, TV and general media reporting/confirming something like this would probably tank the stock price and possibly open him up to ramifications legally. Also ethically and morally it is something for the McMahon family to confirm.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Holy poo poo the forgot how to ride a bike comment was a metaphor.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Record a podcast about it, you coward!

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

slowly fading away Vince roams the halls backstage yelling for "that drat austin" in a angry voiced tinged with sadness too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if someone posts a link to rovert’s ice cream avatar I’ll buy it for him (and be real mad if he goes and gets himself probed again)

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The end of the recent Becky Lynch WWE Network documentary

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This is a low 🙂

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

rovert posted:

The end of the recent Becky Lynch WWE Network documentary

he looks like Roger Ebert after his jaw was removed

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

rovert posted:

I am the first to complain about Meltzer not reporting things but he has a very difficult job covering WWE for the time being.

Early last week I said to expect to hear a lot more about Vince's memory issues. And said that expect a lot of very specific stories to come out publically. Unfortunately, they haven't. I've heard a lot of them and you can only come to the same conclusion that most people who work closely with Vince do. He is allegedly suffering from dementia. Meltzer's tone about the Company's future has changed a fair bit in the last three weeks or so. Which is around the time stories started to really creep out. The decline in the product in the last year, him turning 74 in August and suffering as many concussions or severe knocks on the head over the years can only pull you in that direction too.

Meltzer with the position of authority he holds in Wrestling, in the sports media, TV and general media reporting/confirming something like this would probably tank the stock price and possibly open him up to ramifications legally. Also ethically and morally it is something for the McMahon family to confirm.

I'm still learning Rovert humor but I think this is it and it's really funny.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lid posted:

Holy poo poo the forgot how to ride a bike comment was a metaphor.

I took it that way too but I understand rov's post here. If Dave starts publicly saying that Vince is literally losing his mind that's some serious poo poo that McDevitt will 100% try to bankrupt Dave over if he doesn't have rock solid evidence. Problem is that Vince is so loving weird that if he went legitimately crazy, who would notice?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
speaking of vince and concussions, when was it that he allowed KO to headbutt him and when did the booking fall off a cliff

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

speaking of vince and concussions, when was it that he allowed KO to headbutt him and when did the booking fall off a cliff

Owens said Vince told him to hit him full force.

Owens wanted to work it and let camera angles and cuts do the magic.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

a year and a half ago and eighteen years ago respectively

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I feel like the booking fell off the cliff around the advent of the Guest host era honestly. Though it was getting dumber and dumber leading up to it. Owens Headbutt was much later. But guest host era is when I found the show became unwatchable on the whole to me.

Not to say there weren't good to great angles in and after that period, but they became fewer, and made up less and less of the show.

Also I wanna say the network has been a bad influence. Lacking a need to draw viewers to watch their expensive big shows, it feels like they stopped even trying to build for PPV.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 12, 2019

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Booking has always been terrible, but the real turn was when Brock left and no one could get over more than THE BRAND. The attitude era would have been like current day WWE (minus being PG) if they had kneecapped Austin, The Rock, etc.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Its going to be traced back to the Cena era as the building blocks of destruction, remember Cena's endless "overcoming the odds" and caricature opponents like Umaga and just, the issue wasnt Cena was on top per se it was that he was the only one allowed to be on top and the joke was the boos from men and the cheers from women and children

When Cena dropped off they had no way to retain those people because they put Cena on top ahead of numerous numerous talent that was ready for the main event but they refused to even consider a different face. Their plan was to move the face to Roman Reigns but they didn't anticipate it being rejected so heavily and kept pushing through hoping it would work, leading to The Four Coronations. Then he finally got cheered, because he got cancer, and because of that they're afraid of putting him on top because of longetivity and Optics.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Dango Bango posted:

Booking has always been terrible, but the real turn was when Brock left and no one could get over more than THE BRAND. The attitude era would have been like current day WWE (minus being PG) if they had kneecapped Austin, The Rock, etc.

Yep. It was the one-two punch of Brock and Lashley.

After that, it was all the "build up then break down" booking to "see if they REALLY want it"...which then got turn into the 50/50 booking we love today.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

It can be traced to turning Stone Cold heel despite literally only two human beings on the planet wanting it, one of the stupidest decisions ever.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

e - eh we've moved on

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable
I think that over the last twenty years there has been an escalating number of "times per year" that booking has fallen apart. You can go back and see some years where things kind of made sense most of the time, occasionally falling apart due to a combination of circumstance and incompetence. But later on, into like 2010-2012 you start seeing that happen more frequently with things like the summer of Punk being an unmitigated nightmare of Kevin Nash and HHH through the Daniel Bryan push, which seems great in retrospect, but was a pile of Big Show in a semi truck doing the Yes chant and Daniel Wyatt poo poo. Eventually you get to the brain worms era where very occasionally things will make sense for maybe a week or two (usually by accident) but really every other part of the continuity and logic is gone.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The posts above are all legitimate but in the past, Vince has almost always able to correct the ship's course even for the short-medium term ratings and business-wise. But we are nearly at the six month anniversary of this

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1074835049491554305

Yet no turnaround.

Stomping Grounds from a name, concept, and card POV is really creative bankruptcy for someone who has the marketing legacy Vince has.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Lid posted:

Its going to be traced back to the Cena era as the building blocks of destruction, remember Cena's endless "overcoming the odds" and caricature opponents like Umaga and just, the issue wasnt Cena was on top per se it was that he was the only one allowed to be on top and the joke was the boos from men and the cheers from women and children

When Cena dropped off they had no way to retain those people because they put Cena on top ahead of numerous numerous talent that was ready for the main event but they refused to even consider a different face. Their plan was to move the face to Roman Reigns but they didn't anticipate it being rejected so heavily and kept pushing through hoping it would work, leading to The Four Coronations. Then he finally got cheered, because he got cancer, and because of that they're afraid of putting him on top because of longetivity and Optics.

I can't believe how I can look back on the lolcenawins era and think how much better the booking was. Like they actually pushed Cena, there was no doubt he was the top guy, and they generally had him do things that people who liked him liked, and used him successfully - this made them money. I can look back and his first 2 reigns of doom really did their job of cementing him as a major star - only Brock has gotten the same treatment. Punk didn't, Daniel Bryan didn't, KO had a 6 month reign where he constantly looked like a joke, and Reigns has had a laughable time on top for "the guy". Most everyone has been booked in a way that's made them just another guy.

Like I'm listening through the retro review by B&V(&C), and the discussion of the Triple H reign of terror and highly questionable build.....they built up the star who stayed. Like, it built up a star who made them money long term. This simple thing hasn't happened in so loving long.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 12, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
"Punk didn't, Daniel Bryan didn't, KO had a 6 month reign where he constantly looked like a joke"

These were all during the Cena era. the thing is about the Cena era is its the Cena era, period. There was no Rock to his Austin, there was endless OVERCOMING THE ODDS despite there being no foil build up to be his opponent. they tried with Randy Orton who they desperately wanted it to be, but it wasn't. He had a foil in Edge, but Edge was never meant to be the face just a main event foil.

The closest they got was Punk as that was a perfect pairing and feud but they were terrified of having another face on top so they never booked him as Cena's equal, he won over Cena, he got the title, but he was never his equal except for what the fans wanted. They should've wanted SHEAMUS.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

rovert posted:

Since you brought it up a couple weeks ago, I've been listening to the Dave shows differently. Obviously the bike thing is a metaphor (you knew this) but there's also blatant statements about it. They're just a sentence here and there, but Dave never used to say "The guy writing the show forgot what he wrote last week". It's obviously a sad situation, but not that sad since Vince is a bad guy. Well, personally I don't like seeing anyone's brain turn against them, but I'm a pacifist :razzy:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/JimmyJacobsX/status/1138847062055763969

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

surprised it took vince this long to start sundowning given that his buddy trump has obviously been demented for years and vince has definitely experienced way more trauma and also he doesnt sleep

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

surprised it took vince this long to start sundowning given that his buddy trump has obviously been demented for years and vince has definitely experienced way more trauma and also he doesnt sleep
also the industrial levels of roids and coke

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

jesus WEP posted:

also the industrial levels of roids and coke

its an honest miracle that his brain is the first thing to go rather than whatever bundle of muscle cells functions as his heart

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
If Vince was still on all the drugs he used to take, the product would unironically be leagues better

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Jerusalem posted:

This isn't a topic that is going to be productive so just move on to something else, please.
:thumbsup:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Lid posted:

"Punk didn't, Daniel Bryan didn't, KO had a 6 month reign where he constantly looked like a joke"

These were all during the Cena era. the thing is about the Cena era is its the Cena era, period. There was no Rock to his Austin, there was endless OVERCOMING THE ODDS despite there being no foil build up to be his opponent. they tried with Randy Orton who they desperately wanted it to be, but it wasn't. He had a foil in Edge, but Edge was never meant to be the face just a main event foil.

The closest they got was Punk as that was a perfect pairing and feud but they were terrified of having another face on top so they never booked him as Cena's equal, he won over Cena, he got the title, but he was never his equal except for what the fans wanted. They should've wanted SHEAMUS.

Punk was a catch 22 about leaving (they didn't want to fully invest in him because he might leave, he left because they didn't fully invest in him), Daniel Bryan did have an injury, but KO was long after the real Cena era. At some point past 2010 they seem to have lost the ideas of how to make someone dominant and interesting.

*sigh* instead we get Sheamus - as in a bland version of a character who's only okay at promos and the WWE mold doesn't allow him to reach his potential in the ring. It's so sad to watch :(

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ProperJam/status/1138935647400411139

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vinny doing the Finisher's Report without any music felt really loving weird. Like listening to Linda McMahon speak weird.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1138936133482496000

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rovert posted:

The posts above are all legitimate but in the past, Vince has almost always able to correct the ship's course even for the short-medium term ratings and business-wise. But we are nearly at the six month anniversary of this

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1074835049491554305

Yet no turnaround.

Stomping Grounds from a name, concept, and card POV is really creative bankruptcy for someone who has the marketing legacy Vince has.

you can hear the drop off in crowd response when they realize they're getting stuck in for another round of McMahon Family Drama Bullshit.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

the WOR mailbag is by far the best content on the site. You can't find more pure strain Daveisms anywhere else

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If B&V don’t review Sheikh Ahmed Jordan vs Richie Rich I’m gonna loving riot

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/prowrestling/status/1139356715550306308

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's a weird way to describe it, bias. It's just that current New Japan (& let's be clear, he's not regularly reviewing Dragon Gate or All Japan) is what he likes to watch more than anything since 90s All Japan. Would Ross describe himself as biased towards Bill Watts style pro wrestling?