Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Mahomes
Wentz
several old guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
The 2016 class was pretty barren outside of these top 3 QBs. Brisset being the only other one worth mentioning. Otherwise it's dudes like Kessler, Hackenburg, Paxton Lynch....it's pretty bad. Cowboys got crazy lucky on Dak. There are soooo many busts in that class.

1. Carson Wentz
2. Jared Goff
3. Dak Prescott

Pretty simple ranking.

We are all playing sofa GM here. Everybody tends to fall back exclusively on a mixture of stats and whatever sports media needs to pump out in the down times of the year. This is what I go off of for my opinions on this stuff:

1. Votes of Confidence from competent team front offices/coaches. Since the departure of Chip Kelly, the Eagles have proved to be in the top tier of front offices. From what appeared to be a substantially long re-building process after Chip Kelly blew up the team, to Super Bowl Champions in 2 years. With continued success in free agent scouting and especially contracts to build one of the top teams in terms of both starting positions and depth. This is a team that is built to withstand a long NFL season and have proven that in the past 2 years. If the Eagles can keep this up this decade, they'll be close to the tier the Patriots are in by themselves. The Eagles front office & coaches have way more information than any of us, Twitter, Reddit, or sports media could dream of having. From my obsessive reading of any and all Eagles articles posted in the off-season, the Eagles seem to have zero fear of Carson Wentz and his injuries. With paying the man, they have given their vote of confidence to move forward with everything they've seen in the past 3 seasons of Wentz. In all honesty, the only talk of CARSON CAN'T STAY HEALTHY LOLZ just comes from fans and sports media from my obsessive observations. If anything, seems like an expired subject honestly.

2. Coaches and current NFL players who have to actually play and scheme against said player that aren't a sports media analyst who is paid to shill out whatever the NFL Network/ESPN wants them to stir up for conversation and interest in the product. They are the ones who get paid millions of dollars for their knowledge, talent, and skills. They are on the field and know all of the small details they aren't visible to fans at home watching their fantasy scores. Players and coaches have only doubled down on the talent of Carson Wentz. The only player that has even said anything is DeMarcus Lawrence, who has been unmercifully bullied by Lane Johnson on the field and hasn't registered a single sack against the Eagles. On the same note, there have been many players who have come out and talked badly about Dak Prescott's talent.

3. Film. Film tells the full story. It's also selfish of me, because that's where I mix in my personal opinion.

4. Statistics. Helps flesh out the story in the film to visualize the full picture vs. the rest of the league and history.

5. Reddit/Twitter/PFF/sports media. They have to fit in somewhere. It's more there to bring subjects up to think about.

I don't like having the wrong opinion. But, I'm also not stubborn enough to not realize that facts and truth can be lucid and change over time with more "sample data"/life happening. So, I'm not here to shoot a narrative of my own personal opinion that hasn't gone through my checks and balances. So, here is what I have on Wentz going through those:

"Should we worry about Carson Wentz?"

1. Front Office - The Eagles front office has proven to be amongst the elite of decision making in the league. They have chosen 6 years and over $100 million of guaranteed money for Carson Wentz with the confidence of the team of experts they employee to study ever tiny detail of the past 3 years in the NFL AND the possession of the most confidential medical records of Carson Wentz.
Result: No, do not worry.

2. ------------------ This is too long. I got poo poo to do today, lol.

Long story is, the only ones worried about Carson Wentz is sports media that WANTS us to talk about ANYTHING WE CAN cause there isn't poo poo going on right now. Gotta keep the brand alive. And also, fans. Cause we don't have poo poo to talk about. The NFL itself genuinely seems zero worried about the health of Carson Wentz. So, I'm trusting it.

As far as Dak Prescott goes, he is a starting NFL QB for sure. That is a compliment. There's probably only about 18-20 of them. Dak would start on the majority of NFL teams. However, per film, he is consistent at sustaining the most basic level of QBing. The only time he has showed anything beyond the mean is last year's game against a much depleted Giants at the end of the year. So, I'm not sure if beating up the 1st graders counts. He has showed many times that, yes, Dak Prescott can most definitely lose the game for the Cowboys. He's had some pretty bad dips. His peaks haven't been very high either. However, from a decision making position, Cowboys should move forward with Prescott and continue to build the team around him as a ground & pound kind of team. Defense + run game.

The Cowboys fielded an excellent defense last season. And, they are all young! The Cowboys need to focus on that as their strength. Then use Dak to game manage and pound the football everybody's throat with Zeke. Who, if he can stay away from booze, is an elite RB with potential to being a once in a generation RB talent. Dak Prescott will not win the game for you. But, the Cowboys defense and Zeke most definitely can. However, it is most likely that the Jerry Jones ran Cowboys organization will most definitely make tons of bad decisions and destroy the potential that they have right now. Which, will result in the release of Dak Prescott in 2-3 years after a Top 5 pick on a rookie QB to hit the rebuild button again. I think even Cowboys fans can realistically agree with that.

Jared Goff had a great season last year and showed that he is worthy of the number 1 pick the Rams used on him. However, he is still young in his development as the Patriots showed when they completely exposed all of the weaknesses of Jared Goff in the Super Bowl. As far as Goff vs. Prescott, is there anyone that believe Prescott could have had the game Goff did against the Chiefs last year?. Goff isn't perfect. I think his ceiling is Top 10 QB. I would be very surprised if it goes beyond that. But, as long as Sean McVay is able to evolve with the NFL and not Chip Kelly the f out of LA, Goff will continue to get better. It will be interesting seeing what happens when all the expensive free agents have to leave town because of cap issues in a year or so.

Conclusion
  • 2016 Carson Wentz had your typical rookie season that college QBs learn the NFL. Make lots of mistakes, but show flashes of potential.
  • 2017 Carson Wentz was going to be the NFL MVP, no doubt, before tearing his ACL. One of the most common injuries in the NFL. Wentz looked every bit the part of a transcendent franchise QB. Watching his film, he was unstoppable. Beyond scheme and play calling, his raw talent constantly popped off the screen to make NFL Plays of the Year. The Eagles do not make the Super Bowl without Carson Wentz in 2017. The Eagles were 11-2 when Wentz tore his ACL.
  • 2018 Carson Wentz did not have an off-season. He went from 2017 offseason-2017 NFL season-ACL recovery-2018 NFL season. That will fry any human being. There was zero rest for Wentz and he was clearly rushed back by a medical staff, that has since been fired, and his back injury most likely was linked to his ACL tear the previous year after he rushed back in 9 months. Despite this, it is to be noted that statistically he was still in the upper 15 of NFL QBs in play. It is also to be noted the Eagles had the 31st ranked rushing attack that Wentz played with. There was many factors at play.
  • I am not worried about the health of Carson Wentz and can't wait for this season to begin.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dak isn't that good.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Nice meltdown.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Dakota Rayne Prescott's parents said Carson Wentz is a better quarterback. His own mother said that she would've left before he was born if she could have.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

The gently caress are you talking about? He's going to be making less than Kirk Cousins.

Wentz is a top 5 QB and the Eagles just locked him up throughout his prime for the price of an average NFL QB.

Yeah Howie is an insanely smart GM. 25 mil/year is an astoundingly good deal for a great QB and they now have side-stepped any QB salary increase sanity for the next 6 years.

Howie better go into the HoF at this rate.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Nice meltdown.

Thtat's a lovely response to a pretty good effort post

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 8, 2019

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The injury concerns are a bit like with Embiid: You've got one of the best players in the league and of course you would rather that they were not an injury risk, but what are you going to do? Not sign them? It's not like you can replace them. It's not like they aren't going to be able to sign a huge contract with someone else if you don't sign them. So they get huge contracts, the owner crosses their fingers, and smart fans don't worry about it because there's no sense worrying about poo poo you can't control.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/BrandonGowton/status/1136968559739965441
https://twitter.com/TankLawrence/status/1136796017691508737
https://twitter.com/LaneJohnson65/status/1137021629970751488

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

Mahomes
Wentz
several old guys

Lol man reddit must miss you.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

https://twitter.com/McNaficent/status/1137060954485723136?s=19
That's your star defensive lineman, Dallas.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Prescott is Joe Flacco with rushing ability.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Rocky isn't real and Bryce Harper is a bust

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

89 posted:

Prescott is Joe Flacco with rushing ability.

Flacco can throw though

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

axeil posted:

Thtat's a lovely response to a pretty good effort post

“Everyone’s opinion/post is bullshit because you aren’t the Eagles organization and don’t have the information they have.”

Hey great, why do we even bother posting then? Maybe there was more to the message but that’s all I saw.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

latinotwink1997 posted:

“Everyone’s opinion/post is bullshit because you aren’t the Eagles organization and don’t have the information they have.”

Hey great, why do we even bother posting then? Maybe there was more to the message but that’s all I saw.

lol you read posts longer than 20 words.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The 10 worst contracts in the NFC East

I found it interesting that Eli Manning topped Alex Smith. I guess that's subjective.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bad article Nate Solder's contract is the worst in the NFL and Eli Manning is a delight, a treat

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

That makes a lot more sense. A significant discount due to being injured the last two years, so it's a gamble but one the Eagles feel comfortable making. Wentz is rewarded for the good play he did have and the Eagles are rewarded for their faith in him with a cheap contract (and one that will only get cheaper compared to the rest of the league as time goes on).

If it doesn't work out with Wentz they're in a pretty poo poo situation anyways and having some dead money will be the least of their problems. He is their best chance and to get him at a discount is a great opportunity to maintain some other large contracts as the team tries to compete for super bowls. It could backfire but its still the only real move they have

NotWearingPants posted:

The 10 worst contracts in the NFC East

I found it interesting that Eli Manning topped Alex Smith. I guess that's subjective.

Might as well be called 10 worst contracts in the NFL, the NFC East is basically the land of the horrible contract

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Foles and Wentz combined last season made about the same amount as Wentz will average over the next 6 years. Considering salary cap increases, they lowered the amount they will be allocating to the QB position over the next 6 years.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I don't understand why alex smiths contract counts against the cap when it's obvious he will never walk again.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't understand why alex smiths contract counts against the cap when it's obvious he will never walk again.

No idea but you would think that's something they could address in the next agreement.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No idea but you would think that's something they could address in the next agreement.

If the owners lessen the potential salary cap pain of guarantees then they will start handing out more guarantees and I doubt they want that. The players probably would though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Even before he had a broken leg that contract was loving awful. Now it's like, stratospherically, impossibly bad

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Play posted:

Even before he had a broken leg that contract was loving awful. Now it's like, stratospherically, impossibly bad

Yeah it's pretty egregious. I don't understand how Allen thought it was a good idea, and he's supposed to be some kind of cap whisperer.

This team is dysfunctional to the core.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah it's pretty egregious. I don't understand how Allen thought it was a good idea, and he's supposed to be some kind of cap whisperer.

This team is dysfunctional to the core.

I guess you only get to become a so-called "cap whisperer" by constantly coming up against the cap and you can't do that without handing out bad contracts

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Play posted:

If it doesn't work out with Wentz they're in a pretty poo poo situation anyways and having some dead money will be the least of their problems.

Thank you.

The biggest problem they'll have if Carson flames is half the city going on about and continuing to worship Foles, especially if he succeeds in Jax, which I think he will.

I love Nick and think he's a good QB but the birds made the right choice here.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I don't think he'll be that good in Jacksonville. The quality of the team isn't enough for him. He's a bit of a checkdown guy, he needs good offensive weapons and gameplanning to succeed, which we haven't seen a ton of in Jacksonville. This coming season at least I'd be shocked to my core if they sniff the playoffs

That being said, if Carson Wentz goes down people will still be pining for Foles regardless

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
The Foles over Wentz Truthers seem to gloss over games like the Falcons Week 1 game (talk about the quickest way to kill a Super Bowl boner), Bucs game, Oakland the year before, the majority of the Saints playoff game, the majority of the Falcons playoff game....

....Foles will forever be an Eagles legend of legends. But, his play across the board is a rather bit on the bipolar side. Good Foles, Bad Foles. Good Foles is 400 yards, 4 TDs super Saiyan badd rear end. But, Bad Foles is 120 yards, 3 picks, 0 TDs.

You really don't know which one you were gonna get.

It's a coin toss each game. We caught Foles at his hottest for a 2 game stretch last season when it mattered most in franchise history, Minnesota & New England. I was literally praying the whole time, JUST ONE MORE GAME FOLES, ONE MORE! DONT GET COLD!

Without that coaching staff and talent, we're gonna be seeing a lot more of Bad Foles. He'll still finish as a Top 18 QB. And there will be some fun games.

But, Foles is not better than Wentz. That's ridiculous.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Has Wentz ever been super bowl mvp? Checkmate Foles haters.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Would Foles had the chance to be Super Bowl MVP if he didn't get to start 12-2?

89 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 12, 2019

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I'm a Nate Studfeld truther

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Nate Sudfeld’s career passer rating is 106, which beats out Aaron Rodgers for highest of all time. Absolute monster on the field. Yet nobody even knows who he is. #sad

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I wouldn't blame Foles for the NO playoff loss. Rather, I'd blame our three most important linemen getting injured within three plays of each other.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

a new study bible! posted:

I wouldn't blame Foles for the NO playoff loss. Rather, I'd blame our three most important linemen getting injured within three plays of each other.

At one point, I think Cox and Alshon we're waiting in queue outside of the medical tent while Brooks was getting attended to. It was depressing the injuries after that complete blitzkrieg on New Orleans.

Saints do not win that game against a healthy Eagles team on that day.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Play posted:

I don't think he'll be that good in Jacksonville. The quality of the team isn't enough for him. He's a bit of a checkdown guy, he needs good offensive weapons and gameplanning to succeed, which we haven't seen a ton of in Jacksonville. This coming season at least I'd be shocked to my core if they sniff the playoffs

That being said, if Carson Wentz goes down people will still be pining for Foles regardless

I live in Jax and the Jags are sort of my adopted/step son/AFC team.

I know Nick has his limitations and my biggest concern for him here is the dearth of weapons and the god awful receiving corps. But he's reuniting with Difilipo, has a top tier defense and has shown he can be a good system QB. He's miles better than the poo poo Jax has been putting out there for over a decade and a huge step up from Bortles. Just leading receivers, being accurate and cutting down on INT's will put him in a good spot even though the lack of anything resembling a TE here is a big concern for me.

He doesn't have to put this team on his back but, yeah, he's got NOTHING to work with on offense, the OL is a concern and Fournette is looking like a bust already so I do worry he'll be asked to shoulder too much weight.

However, if he'd stayed with the birds, I'd call him the second best QB in the NFC East. I'd take him over Dak, Eli and whoever WAS is planning on using. Everyone except Carson.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I live in Jax and the Jags are sort of my adopted/step son/AFC team.

I know Nick has his limitations and my biggest concern for him here is the dearth of weapons and the god awful receiving corps. But he's reuniting with Difilipo, has a top tier defense and has shown he can be a good system QB. He's miles better than the poo poo Jax has been putting out there for over a decade and a huge step up from Bortles. Just leading receivers, being accurate and cutting down on INT's will put him in a good spot even though the lack of anything resembling a TE here is a big concern for me.

He doesn't have to put this team on his back but, yeah, he's got NOTHING to work with on offense, the OL is a concern and Fournette is looking like a bust already so I do worry he'll be asked to shoulder too much weight.

However, if he'd stayed with the birds, I'd call him the second best QB in the NFC East. I'd take him over Dak, Eli and whoever WAS is planning on using. Everyone except Carson.

If the offensive line plays like they did in 2017 he might have a chance. But like you said lack of dangerous receiving options, offensive line questions and Foles' propensity to check down (which is fully backed up by all the stats) makes me think they'll have trouble staying ahead of the chains, especially since they lack a good receiving back and their tight ends leave something to be desired as well. I don't see a ton of YAC potential on this team.

That being said if the O line is fixed and the run game starts humming they could be a decent team, where Foles can throw off play action and in favorable downs and distances. If they're relying on Nick Foles getting first downs by throwing under pressure to a pack of misfit receivers it's gonna be a loooooong year. I also don't believe in Fournette as an actually good running back, and the team itself seems a bit cancerous in terms of work ethic and personalities. Quite a bit of talent on the team but you wouldn't have known it last year

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm no Dak fan, but that's going too far. Nick Foles has never thrown for 3000 yards in a season. In three years, Prescott has thrown for 3667, 3324, and 3885.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The most reliable forecast you could make about Nick Foles' upcoming season based on past performance is that he will play less than 9 games.

e: *fewer

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 13, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

I'm no Dak fan, but that's going too far. Nick Foles has never thrown for 3000 yards in a season. In three years, Prescott has thrown for 3667, 3324, and 3885.

It's debatable. I actually like Dak but I'd still take Nick.

And comparing total yards is apples to oranges since Foles has mostly been a backup and Prescott has come into an air it out style league where everyone is chucking dimes all over the place. Dak still edges him out in overall rating.

Neither of them is as good as Wentz IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

NotWearingPants posted:

Does Dak get a trophy for that?