Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

They wouldn't potentially be sharing a fast growing market, every other company is loving around with stupid bullshit. They're the only ones doing a play for mainstream penetration.

ah, yes. anything that I, the mainstream knower, do not agree with is "stupid bullshit"

lmao, just shut up about facebook already dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Truga posted:

ah, yes. anything that I, the mainstream knower, do not agree with is "stupid bullshit"

lmao, just shut up about facebook already dude

No, that's just my personal opinion. I should have wrapped it in a "I think" to make that more clear, that's my bad. At this point I really just don't care about PCVR stuff, I've spent enough time and effort messing around with it and I'm really pscyhed about the Quest and its potential. I've showed mine to tons of people, and a lot of them have already ordered one for themselves. That's *never* happened with anything up to this point. I'm frustrated that Oculus is the only one making a push for it, and I'm tepidly looking forward to what comes of the Cosmos because while I really hope it's not overpriced trash and I think it will be, it'll probably be the only thing that's not a Quest that has the potential to sell a decent number of units.

More adoption drives more investment and I'm pretty fed up with the tech demo level of most VR stuff at the moment. I want the big boys to invest in making software for it, and until there are more users it's not gonna happen. I don't think the Index or the Reverb or the Vive Pro Eye or even the Rift S or anything like that is really going to make a difference is all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm more worried about what this rush for the mainstream will do to VR perception for complex games. Even with a PC backing the thing, we're mostly getting really simple games, because most developers are still learning what the gently caress to do with it, it's simple poo poo we could play on pcs in the late 90s, early 00s tech demos but in 3d.

What happens when people decide a bigass game like mass effect or something is simply not for VR? Most people won't play a game for a few years straight like i played quake2 or you play lone echo.

"yeah VR is neat, i have the quest too, but have you seen the latest GTA? now that poo poo's wild"

I'd be more than happy for VR to delay its big mainstream push by a couple years if it ensures that bullshit doesn't happen. Currently the only full title like that is skyrim vr, and that has way too many issues with the VR interface to be the flagbearer, since it's just a lazy portjob.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

mashed_penguin posted:

That could be pretty sweet because you could probably avoid the garbage compression that the current wifi streaming setups are using. High ghz radios are really needed to get "cable quality" streaming to a wireless headset. Those radios are expensive though :shepspends:

There is no way to get a hardware decoder attached to the Quest, which is where most of the latency exists right now. I’m not sure how TPcast is doing it with the air but their demo video showed no dongle.
Encoding takes about 5ms, transport about 1.5ms and decode over 12ms. There is a whole lot of not listed latency in ALVR etc that makes it hard to determine where it lies and what would improve it.
A hardware solution would probably turn that into 1-2ms encode (low encoding rate due to very high bandwidth transport, in the GB/s range), 0.5-1ms transport and 1-2ms decode.
That being said, ALVR with ~60ms latency is extremely, extremely playable to the point of being able to forget you aren’t native in most games.
People having issues probably aren’t on a 5ghz network and probably have a garbage WAP built into their garbage router/wap/switch combo that can’t maintain a 30-50mbps data stream with low packet loss. This unfortunately describes every single piece of consumer wireless networking equipment but fortunately Uniquiti makes extremely good WiFi gear for roughly the same price.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

I do wonder if the TPCast guys are going to release some sort of dongle set you can plug into both your PC, and the other into your Quest and that can bypass all the latency issues of having to go through the Quest Wireless alone.

I don’t think anyone has broken open the USB yet to put images on the screen. Or if they have they haven’t said anything.

It’s a bit different than feeding video to an APK over WiFi.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Skyarb posted:

I'm curious, do you have a connection, personally or professionally with either Facebook or Oculus?

He's posted about being a member of the champion vr league team which means Oculus has indirectly paid him prize money

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

X-Plane is nice, but it won't let me fly a Cessna 172 into a giraffe.

Maybe not, but with SimBuddy you can run and manage a virtual airline! This and the Rift S is probably gonna be the thing that hooks me back into X-Plane 11 https://www.simbuddy.com/virtual-airline.php

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Truga posted:

neither will microsoft's thing.

reminder when FSX pulled this before/after poo poo:

What's the background on this?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EdEddnEddy posted:

I do wonder if the TPCast guys are going to release some sort of dongle set you can plug into both your PC, and the other into your Quest and that can bypass all the latency issues of having to go through the Quest Wireless alone.

No, the TPCast solution is enterprise only and is basically just ALVR + a dedicated wireless AP. You buy the whole Quest from them and it all comes preloaded.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jenny Agutter posted:

He's posted about being a member of the champion vr league team which means Oculus has indirectly paid him prize money

I’m htc sponsored, work the oculus people, dislike social media in general and think lemmings right mostly.

You Facebook haters are loving funny. I’ve worked directly with the Quest team. And all you people saying facebooks gonna do x or whateve and ruin poo poo have no idea. Oculus isn’t being puppeted by Facebook to lock poo poo down and make it some scummy marketplace that stops development and poo poo. They just don’t want janky poo poo in the official store for a device meant for normal non enthusiast users.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What is interesting is I have shown VR to my CoWorkers and a hand full of other people, (Busy friggin month so not much outside of work/family) but two coworkers then have gone out to get PCVR headsets. Go figure.

One has gotten deep into VR Dungeon Knight. Unlocked pretty much all the weapons and maxed a hand full of them.

Also since I already do have the Router for the TPCast for my VIVE, I wonder if I can connect my Quest to it and get better performance then my normal Router. Hmm might have to try that tonight.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

:jerkbag:

Everyone that disagrees with anyone in this thread is obviously a shill. Never change goons.
why yes its me im the oculus employee

Bremen posted:

And my point is that you are demonstrably wrong about it. Business wise, it's far better for Oculus to ensure they dominate a slower growing market than share a fast growing one.

Why choke out a small market when you can have a frenemy invest in growth with you? Building a healthy ecosystem needs a metric to calibrate on what developers and users want, and that’s not gonna be fully honest if every dev knows you have them by the balls.

The three biggest costs to a company are its physical space, its computing power, and its people. Those all have a long windup to go from “I need more” to “I have more”, and none scale down particularly proportionately, whereas teams that can improve tools and infrastructure can act as force multipliers.

Better to grow a market fast with the people you have and plan for growth than to move slow and stagnate while choking off opportunities.

Competition isn’t the enemy for mid to large companies IMO. The enemy is self-sabotage and poor execution on your strengths.

EDIT:

rage-saq posted:

There is no way to get a hardware decoder attached to the Quest, which is where most of the latency exists right now.

The Snapdragon 835 has a h.264+hevc(h.265) decoder on the die. I imagine the Android API could be in the way rather than the hardware?

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 12, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

top image: "old Flight simulator games, also FSX on dx9"
bottom image: "OUR GLORIOUS NEW DX10 RENDERER HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THIS"

as you can imagine, the game looks nothing like the bottom image, and only sometimes even matches the top one and the bottom one was just heavily photoshopped.

it's almost possible, in 2019, to make it look that good tho. higher res textures go a long way with tons of ram people have now.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

KillHour posted:

It was supposed to be "upgrade to Windows Vista, this is what directx 10 can give you!" but it was of course nothing like that big an upgrade. That being said I believe the new flight simulator video because have you seen Forza horizon 4? Shits incredible

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

It was supposed to be "upgrade to Windows Vista, this is what directx 10 can give you!" but it was of course nothing like that big an upgrade. That being said I believe the new flight simulator video because have you seen Forza horizon 4? Shits incredible

I can believe that. The Forza series looks fantastic and runs really well, so making it work fast enough for VR I couldn't see being near as hard as say, making the next Elder Scrolls run in VR on the same old engine...

Either way, I am supper happy to see Microsoft back in the Flight Sim game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was that image ever a video? Microsoft showed off video of the detail they have in their new flight sim. While I'm sure it's running on a beastly machine and it will never look like that on xbox, I believe that they will have at least small parts of the world with increased detail. I was wondering in the Giant Bomb thread if this is going to be the entire world, or if it will only be small areas like with that flight sim game that was just in Hawaii. No way in hell could they get that much detail for the whole world, but they could put in that much detail around interesting locations like the pyramids and the Grand Canyon. If I could fly my 737 into the grand canyon and empty the poo poo tanks onto a river raft tour, that would be awesome. But if the game is just "pick which area you want to fly around in" and they aren't connected, they will lose hardcore flight sim fans who want to spend 14 real life hours flying their 787 across the pacific ocean.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

No one knows yet but I would be surprised if you couldn't fly all over. Maybe the main install will have detailed areas around landmarks and airports and the rest will low res with more details streamed a la Google Earth if you fly low enough. Bing maps has tons of high res low altitude imagery

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna be optimistic and say it's full globe, but with high res scenery for points of interest, but I also remember the no man's sky e3 video so who the gently caress knows what's up at this point.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wouldn't mind them doing something different with limited locations but in high detail. Maybe a proper career mode or something.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

They said they have stitched the whole world from over 2 petabytes of data for whatever that is worth. I imagine points of interest are going to have hand modeled details etc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cojawfee posted:

But if the game is just "pick which area you want to fly around in" and they aren't connected, they will lose hardcore flight sim fans who want to spend 14 real life hours flying their 787 across the pacific ocean.
It'll probably just stream the data Google Earth Pro style. Even jet fighters aren't fast enough to overwhelm it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Truga posted:

I'm gonna be optimistic and say it's full globe, but with high res scenery for points of interest, but I also remember the no man's sky e3 video so who the gently caress knows what's up at this point.

I give No Man's Sky a pass because it was like two people working on that game and people got way too hyped about it. Microsoft knows how important their Flight Sim franchise is, so I hope they won't gently caress it up. I want it to be cool because it will be on game pass so I will definitely be able to play it, but I know I'm going to be disappointed in some way.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Their new Flight Sim has an insider program.

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/insider-program-sign-up/

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Actually Microsoft should dumpster all their games in development and give us the one thing we all really crave: vr enabled crimson skies

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I don't think theres a chance the new microsoft flight sim has VR support. I hope I'm wrong, but considering microsoft's half hearted care and subsequent seeming abandonment, plus it being an xbone crossplay game, i would wager the team put 0 effort into VR support. They could have added VR support to their racing games too, another area thats easy for VR and it was never a concern for them.

Its sad if that ends up being the case, because it looks great, but without VR support, well... I don't want to fly on a monitor anymore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

Actually Microsoft should dumpster all their games in development and give us the one thing we all really crave: vr enabled crimson skies

Yes plz

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I see someone hacking in some sort of third party plugin or something. Which is fine, I guess, since flight simming is already a stupid expensive hobby as is.

edit: Wait what about Windows Mixed Reality? I could see them adding VR support to interface with that and obviously you'd want the marketshare of Rift/Vive hobbyists.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 12, 2019

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

what's the story currently on playing Oculus games on a Vive? I thought I read someone mentioning the dev working on whatever the software was called let it languish and it's essentially unusable now.

I just want to play Robo Recall on my Vive 🤔

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's called Revive and it's always worked fine as far as I know.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Revive and I think it’s fine? I haven’t messed with it in a bit. RR doesn’t control amazingly well on the Vibe wands though. It may be worth waiting for the Knucks to come out as they more or less have parity to the touch controllers.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah I see someone hacking in some sort of third party plugin or something. Which is fine, I guess, since flight simming is already a stupid expensive hobby as is.

edit: Wait what about Windows Mixed Reality? I could see them adding VR support to interface with that and obviously you'd want the marketshare of Rift/Vive hobbyists.

Microsoft is famously divided into departments that either never work with each other or outright hate each other, having a product in one area is completely unrelated as to whether another team will acknowledge that area exists. Wmr didn't mean Forza got vr, wmr didn't mean Xbox got vr, it absolutely doesn't mean flight simulator will get vr

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Penpal posted:

what's the story currently on playing Oculus games on a Vive? I thought I read someone mentioning the dev working on whatever the software was called let it languish and it's essentially unusable now.

I just want to play Robo Recall on my Vive 🤔

Revive. And a buddy said it played really well and was worth the coin vive side. I loved it on rift.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I'm just waiting on deadstick to finally come out....

Back to quest games. Ritchie's plank experience is coming out this month! Can't wait to laugh at everyone falling when I show this off.

This + a foot high balance beam is great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Warbird posted:

Revive and I think it’s fine? I haven’t messed with it in a bit. RR doesn’t control amazingly well on the Vibe wands though. It may be worth waiting for the Knucks to come out as they more or less have parity to the touch controllers.

If you're using vibe wands, I think you're playing something else.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Cojawfee posted:

If you're using vibe wands, I think you're playing something else.

And probably having a better time!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Sounds like an application for a vive tracker...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Harminoff posted:

The devs have gone completely silent. I'm not sure if its ever coming out

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The devs have gone completely silent. I'm not sure if its ever coming out

They did a couple of streams pretty recently. It looked like they were still making progress :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Harminoff posted:

Back to quest games. Ritchie's plank experience is coming out this month! Can't wait to laugh at everyone falling when I show this off.

This + a foot high balance beam is great.

Is Richies Plank Experience just a good demo for people? I feel like it has one gimmick and thats it.

$14 is hard to swallow for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah it's not really something that YOU will play over and over, but if you are showing the quest to a lot of people then it is a must have and easily worth the money. I've not played anything else that gives you the feeling this experience does.

I always thought the YouTube videos of people riding VR coasters was pretty gimmicky, but Richie's actually does trick you into thinking you are way above ground. I'm not scared of heights but it took me a few minutes to step out of the elevator.