Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

I'm a terrible person and would like to see a very r-rated The Mask series

That doesn't make you a terrible person, the Mask comics loving own

Like, I love the first movie as it exists, but I would really, really like to see someone give the comics version its due (even if they skip the Ipkiss stuff and go for Returns or Hunt for Green October instead)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Did anyone else read She Could Fly last year? It's written by Christopher Cantwell of Halt and Catch Fire and drawn by the guy from Ice Cream Man, and broadly speaking it's about a young woman who becomes obsessed with a flying woman who may or may not exist. Pretty gonzo, but I like it a lot and the follow-up series is off to a promising start. I don't think I've seen such an honest perspective on mental health issues in comics before which is nice.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I just learnt that Giant Days is ending with #55. It's been a ride. :unsmith:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Aww man, I love Giant Days :smith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kwyndig posted:

Aww man, I love Giant Days :smith:

Well, it was examining a fixed period of time in the Bobbinsverse (Esther's 3 years at uni) and was openly progressing through that time, so I suppose we all knew it was coming. On the plus side, maybe Allison will continue By Night or even Scary Go Round when it's over! And he'll be able to use Esther in stuff set in the 'present' again!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I just learnt that Giant Days is ending with #55. It's been a ride. :unsmith:

Better to go out on top.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I hoped he might carry it on to a 4th year for Honours but I guess it makes sense and has been foreshadowed

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

surprising no one the new Uber series did not emerge.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

surprising no one the new Uber series did not emerge.

I just want a series to follow Maria’s anarchist Russia.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Maria's Russian Utopia. Free ground slop for every man, woman and child. Also extensive uber training regimen on request.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yesterday I picked up a bunch of packages I had ordered from Etsy and StoreEnvy.

Alternative self published comics post!

The first batch is stuff I got from Billy McKay. His primary output is Peculiar Paper People, which is a set of weird mini comics. He’s also got a set of 5 books he did with an artist who was serving time in prison for robbing a bank. He’s a nice guy and sent a bunch of extras with the order.

His site is here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/billytherobot

Oh also I ordered every available Copra issue that I could because even though I bought the trades, I wanted what singles I could get too. The ones that were available are mostly my favorite issues anyway - great single issue stories.

The second picture is all Nate McDonagh of Grixly comics fame. I was turned on to his stuff by Fiffe retweeting some of it. Nate, like Billy, was super nice and added in some extras like original art. It’s gonna take me a while to dig through it all, but the grixly mini comics are pretty awesome.

He sent this piece of art in addition to to other stuff you can see in that picture. Great example of his style.

You can check his store here: http://grixlycomix.storenvy.com/collections/885112-comics

I’m really getting in to books in this style. I also picked up a bunch of this kind of stuff while at TCAF a few weeks ago - Read More Comix is a fantastic little Toronto comics collective that puts out work that’s reminiscent in style and approach. My next order will be from Josh Bayer’s Etsy shop, but I’m also looking for any suggestions of similar work.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 2, 2019

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What is Big Winner? And is it anything like Wuvable Oaf?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Haven’t read it yet but it’s one of the Grixly comics.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Just ordered Godzilla In Hell #1 and I'm stoked that 1. The concept exists and 2. That it was available in physical print for less than $20+.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just realized that this week "Stray Bullets: Sunshine and Roses" will have as many issues as the original run. That is nuts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheHoosier posted:

Just ordered Godzilla In Hell #1 and I'm stoked that 1. The concept exists and 2. That it was available in physical print for less than $20+.

The whole series is real good but #5 is loving amazing.

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That doesn't make you a terrible person, the Mask comics loving own

Like, I love the first movie as it exists, but I would really, really like to see someone give the comics version its due (even if they skip the Ipkiss stuff and go for Returns or Hunt for Green October instead)

Ahh, you just reminded me of a magical day in 1994, spending my shiny pocket money on a comic book that my mum thought was full of wacky japes and harmless, Carrey-esque gurning, instead of obscene megaviolence and granny suffocation.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Does anyone know what's happened to Dungeons and Dragons: A Darkened Wish?

One issue came out but it's no where I can find on Comixology. I have that issue on there but if it weren't for the fact it's in my smartlist I wouldn't be able to find it via the search. Same for any subsequent issues.

I saw them crop up on an Amazon ad but when trying to follow through all I get is page doesn't exist. Has it been cancelled? I could t see any article on it or find it on IDWs website.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Agent_grey posted:

Does anyone know what's happened to Dungeons and Dragons: A Darkened Wish?

One issue came out but it's no where I can find on Comixology. I have that issue on there but if it weren't for the fact it's in my smartlist I wouldn't be able to find it via the search. Same for any subsequent issues.

I saw them crop up on an Amazon ad but when trying to follow through all I get is page doesn't exist. Has it been cancelled? I could t see any article on it or find it on IDWs website.

It's still coming, Tess Fowler posts some art from it on her twitter from time to time. Comixology is currently saying July 31st for #2 (https://www.comixology.com/Dungeons-Dragons-A-Darkened-Wish-2/digital-comic/750141) but that could very well be a placeholder.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That link is geoblocked for me in NZ, which might be their issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So I think I'm going to start a pull list for Hickman's X-Men and the shop I go to wants at least five books. I'm also thinking Black Cat, becausethat seemslike the kinda book that will need early orders to survive, but for the last two I'd like something non-superhero non big two with a low issue count (single digits) so I could easily pick up floppies of all the back issues. I really like Kierron Gillen, Matt Fraction, Kelly Sue Deconnik is hit or miss for me, as is BKV.

Any recommendations?

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

xK1 posted:

It's still coming, Tess Fowler posts some art from it on her twitter from time to time. Comixology is currently saying July 31st for #2 (https://www.comixology.com/Dungeons-Dragons-A-Darkened-Wish-2/digital-comic/750141) but that could very well be a placeholder.

The link says it doesn't exist which was what I was getting when I clicked the Amazon ad, but I didn't think to look at Tess Fowler's social media to confirm if it was still a thing, thanks for looking.

Teenage Fansub posted:

That link is geoblocked for me in NZ, which might be their issue.

Yeah I'm UK so maybe this is what's happening.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

So I think I'm going to start a pull list for Hickman's X-Men and the shop I go to wants at least five books. I'm also thinking Black Cat, becausethat seemslike the kinda book that will need early orders to survive, but for the last two I'd like something non-superhero non big two with a low issue count (single digits) so I could easily pick up floppies of all the back issues. I really like Kierron Gillen, Matt Fraction, Kelly Sue Deconnik is hit or miss for me, as is BKV.

Any recommendations?

Gillen has a new mini series starting in August with Boom. Called Once and Future.

Other stuff I’m pulling that you might like...

Sea of Stars by Jason Aaron
Gogor is a new indie fantasy book Image is putting out that’s got fun art
Usagi Yojimbo is starting with a new publisher next week
Criminal’s latest run (Brubaker / Phillips) is on issue 5

Matt Fraction has a new DC maxi series starting that’s got a lot of buzz - Jimmy Olsen.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

Any recommendations?

Die by Kieron Gillen, the first trade comes out today.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The beta version of the Die RPG is out today to coincide with the first trade being released. Is anyone else thinking about playing? My old DM got me into the comic so we're thinking about running a game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So Walking Dead, after a huge arc involving the Commonwealth, has finally done it and killed Rick rather unceremoniously. It was actually a pretty shocking moment since the first shot was last month’s cliffhanger but then today begins and immediately and brutally Rick is killed. No one finds him until the next day and the rest of the issue is Carl dealing with the aftermath. Interesting enough it seems Rick’s legacy and lasting efforts are being focused on two aspects: his raising of Carl who in this issue showed both his good and mature side and his darker more cold blooded side. The second being the redemption of Negan which only really happened because of Rick’s mercy. And the letter at the end of the comics seems to indicate that Negan will be taking a big focus moving forward and he’s currently an anti-hero bit of a person genuinely trying to do good while also still being very much Negan.

I think Rick’s death was a long time coming but it was still crazy to see it actually happen the way it did. Considering this comic refuses to end I’m glad we’re getting a nice real change moving forward.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cloks posted:

The beta version of the Die RPG is out today to coincide with the first trade being released. Is anyone else thinking about playing? My old DM got me into the comic so we're thinking about running a game.

dont get sucked into a hosed up fantasy world

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

Criminal’s latest run (Brubaker / Phillips) is on issue 5

Criminal is good and all but I want Incognito finished. ;( I really like Phillips on cape stories - the brighter powers stuff adds great contrast to the dark noir

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
I'm wondering if someone here might help me with SAGA. I just can't seem to get into it. It's so highly praised, but I feel as though I'm just missing the hook. I've read and re-read the first 4 issues and I just can't seem to hold an interest.

I was chatting with a friend of mine today and we were poo poo-talking the latest DC shenanigans and I brought up some of the recent indies I really like; Little Bird, Descender / Ascender, etc., and I mentioned SAGA. He's not read it yet but has also heard nothing but good things about it. I went on to try and find an analogy to present as to my impression and the best I came up with was: "Someone took every comic from the old Heavy Metal Magazines, shuffled them like a deck of cards, and then story-boarded them". I'm aware this is probably unkind, but I also really do feel as though I'm missing whatever is supposed to be the hook. Maybe try to just push through the issues? Help?

Corzen fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 7, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some comics just aren’t for everyone. I thought Saga was ok, but I haven’t kept up with it and I don’t know that I’ll rush to get it once the series ends.

I did just finish the first arc of Die, however. That’s real good.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Corzen posted:

I'm wondering if someone here might help me with SAGA. I just can't seem to get into it. It's so highly praised, but I feel as though I'm just missing the hook. I've read and re-read the first 4 issues and I just can't seem to hold an interest. I was chatting with a friend of mine today and we were poo poo-talking the latest DC shenanigans and I brought up some of the recent indies I really like; Little Bird, Descender / Ascender, etc., and I mentioned SAGA. He's not read it yet but has also heard nothing but good things about it. I went on to try and find an analogy to present as to my impression and the best I came up with was: "Someone took every comic from the old Heavy Metal Magazines and story-boarded them". I'm aware this is probably unkind, but I also really do feel as though I'm missing whatever is supposed to be the hook. Maybe try to just push through the issues? Help?

After reading 1-4, I would suggest reading issue 5 instead of going back to 1.

Also, if you don't like something, that's okay! You don't have to like everything.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
DIE is indeed a great read. Handed it off to my wife who is a Critical Role junkie and she fell in love with it.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I read Sonata #1 and really didn't get anything from it. It's a bit awkward as we've got the writer signing in our comic shop on Saturday so I'll have to pretend it was good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saga really grabbed me early on but then it started dragging on and doing some dumb gratuitous stuff and I kinda fell off the wagon. It started picking up pace on the story recently but then it goes and starts a year long hiatus.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pitwar posted:

I read Sonata #1 and really didn't get anything from it. It's a bit awkward as we've got the writer signing in our comic shop on Saturday so I'll have to pretend it was good.

Nah. Just tell everyone the writer is in and let him defend it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So Walking Dead, after a huge arc involving the Commonwealth, has finally done it and killed Rick rather unceremoniously. It was actually a pretty shocking moment since the first shot was last month’s cliffhanger but then today begins and immediately and brutally Rick is killed. No one finds him until the next day and the rest of the issue is Carl dealing with the aftermath. Interesting enough it seems Rick’s legacy and lasting efforts are being focused on two aspects: his raising of Carl who in this issue showed both his good and mature side and his darker more cold blooded side. The second being the redemption of Negan which only really happened because of Rick’s mercy. And the letter at the end of the comics seems to indicate that Negan will be taking a big focus moving forward and he’s currently an anti-hero bit of a person genuinely trying to do good while also still being very much Negan.

I think Rick’s death was a long time coming but it was still crazy to see it actually happen the way it did. Considering this comic refuses to end I’m glad we’re getting a nice real change moving forward.

I was a big Walking Dead (comics) fan for a few years, but drifted away from it around the time the show started. I think around the end of the first season is when I stopped reading (and I drifted away from the show I think after the fourth season). It's crazy to think the show has now been going on for longer than the comic had been when the show started, and the comic has been chugging along all that time. I keep considering going back to the comic but I think it's just gotten too daunting to consider.

I remember at the time that everyone hated the prison storyline in the comic but I actually feel like that was the high point. It was the first time there was the plot of "we found a little island of stability that lets us rebuild civilization, oops now some outside dictator wants to attack us and take it." A lot of the following storylines seemed like repeats to various degrees.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Saga really grabbed me early on but then it started dragging on and doing some dumb gratuitous stuff and I kinda fell off the wagon. It started picking up pace on the story recently but then it goes and starts a year long hiatus.
I'm hoping the hiatus gives them time to come up with some ideas, because yeah, it was dragging there a bit.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I was a big Walking Dead (comics) fan for a few years, but drifted away from it around the time the show started. I think around the end of the first season is when I stopped reading (and I drifted away from the show I think after the fourth season). It's crazy to think the show has now been going on for longer than the comic had been when the show started, and the comic has been chugging along all that time. I keep considering going back to the comic but I think it's just gotten too daunting to consider.

I remember at the time that everyone hated the prison storyline in the comic but I actually feel like that was the high point. It was the first time there was the plot of "we found a little island of stability that lets us rebuild civilization, oops now some outside dictator wants to attack us and take it." A lot of the following storylines seemed like repeats to various degrees.

I was reading the numbered hardbacks and read through #9. I got #10 two years ago for Christmas and still haven't gotten around to reading it. The repetition was what killed my interest as well. The endless cycle of settle down, meet new people, internal conflict, move to a new place got stale. I found I read those last few books out of habit instead of enjoyment.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Same. I read the first compendium, which goes through the end of the prison arc at issue 48, and absolutely fell in love. Everything just kept building to bigger and more impactful stories.

Then the second compendium was just a retread. Plus it featured someone talking to the reader in a long monologue to tell us how good of a leader Rick was, an opinion I wholey disagree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Walking Dead had a perfectly good endpoint with Rick and Michonne looking over the ocean discussing whether or not the survivors still deserve happiness but that was 50 plus issues ago.