Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I could easily see the new Flight Simulator running and looking that good on an Xbox OneX since its hardware is immensely better than OG Xbox One, however it could also be one of the new titles attached to Xbox's new Streaming platform as well so until we know more, we don't know.

However missing VR support out of the gate, since Flight Simulator is supposed to be a reasonably realistic slower paced flying game unlike Forza Horizons more hectic crazy gameplay (and the fact that Forza 7 was a bit of a step backwards with its loot boxes or whatever) could be part of why they didn't put VR into it yet/ever.

Sure it could completely miss out on it, but the dedicated flight sim crowd with their usual TrackIR requirements and disposable income for HOTAS/YOKES/ETC could easily spring for VR if the implementation is spot on.

If anything, a VR Plugin will happen very shortly after if its not official. So I'm Not worried either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Microsoft does have a new console coming out xmas 2020 with 4x the power of the one X. So it will look good on that I imagine.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

He's posted about being a member of the champion vr league team which means Oculus has indirectly paid him prize money

How many points on the "allowed to have an opinion" spectrum does this lose me? Can I buy four Indexes to make up for it, or will I need to smash my Quest as well?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Hadlock posted:

That's super annoying. The people working in Product for the quest don't know their heads from their assholes.

Here's hoping that the Chinese come out with a quest clone in the next year or two. I spent probably $150 on games when I got it, partly to promote VR game development. If they're going to be assholes about everything I'll just go find a different platform to support.

I'm curious if they're going to lock down developer mode for side loading next? I would sell my quest at that point.

Sounds like the virtual desktop guy is going to distribute a sideload APK to allow steam VR support somehow.

I know I keep saying this but there already is a Chinese Quest clone and it even came out 6 months before the Quest the Focus Plus. 6Dof HMD, 6Dof controllers, less content worse software and $799 instead of $399. I doubt they will lock down developer mode.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Lemming posted:

How many points on the "allowed to have an opinion" spectrum does this lose me? Can I buy four Indexes to make up for it, or will I need to smash my Quest as well?

Just shout “fucc the zucc” a couple of times loudly in VRChat.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

I’m htc sponsored, work the oculus people, dislike social media in general and think lemmings right mostly.

You Facebook haters are loving funny. I’ve worked directly with the Quest team. And all you people saying facebooks gonna do x or whateve and ruin poo poo have no idea. Oculus isn’t being puppeted by Facebook to lock poo poo down and make it some scummy marketplace that stops development and poo poo. They just don’t want janky poo poo in the official store for a device meant for normal non enthusiast users.

From having spent time with Oculus people at OC5, the main thing I think people over estimate is the amount of people working on Oculus software/experiences/storefront. None of them are cackling trying to corner VR, they are just trying their best to make a good VR ecosystem. Most of the teams handling things like store selections/engineering support are tiny, like 3 people or less tiny. Oculus is getting as much done as they can with a very small organization. It's also perfectly ok that they have different goals than we want them to have.

It's pretty obvious their short term goal is showing with the Quest that there are very good experiences. It appears they want to make it through at least this Christmas launch with few but high quality titles. Hopefully sometime early next year they start letting in more content. But a big part of the problem is discovery, it's hard to have a search in VR so they are willing to lose niche titles to make it easier to find main stream content.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone here actually tried the Vive Pro Eye? There's an article on RPS with some positive impressions. They seem pretty satisfied with the actual eye tracking part.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Stick100 posted:

From having spent time with Oculus people at OC5, the main thing I think people over estimate is the amount of people working on Oculus software/experiences/storefront. None of them are cackling trying to corner VR, they are just trying their best to make a good VR ecosystem. Most of the teams handling things like store selections/engineering support are tiny, like 3 people or less tiny. Oculus is getting as much done as they can with a very small organization. It's also perfectly ok that they have different goals than we want them to have.

It's pretty obvious their short term goal is showing with the Quest that there are very good experiences. It appears they want to make it through at least this Christmas launch with few but high quality titles. Hopefully sometime early next year they start letting in more content. But a big part of the problem is discovery, it's hard to have a search in VR so they are willing to lose niche titles to make it easier to find main stream content.

The thing that's confusing about all this is that there isn't any mainstream content. Their big marquee titles are Beat Saber and SUPERHOT VR, which, yeah, people like those but they ain't exactly Red Dead Redemption 2. Those games are all Big For Indie, which is fine since that's where my gaming interest tends to lie in the first place, but it's hard to take claims of wanting the Quest store to have high quality mainstream appeal at a glance when VR Karts, Guided Tai-Chi and Richie's Plank Experience are up there. This is all niche as poo poo and VR's biggest hits have mostly come out of nowhere, why fight that? Keep the obvious low-grade garbage out, but rejecting stuff like To The Top makes no sense to me.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lemming posted:

No need to get defensive friend, I'm just getting someone who hasn't read the entire thread up to speed. No judgement intended

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

sethsez posted:

Keep the obvious low-grade garbage out, but rejecting stuff like To The Top makes no sense to me.

I knew everyone would lose their minds over vr desktop, but I think this is the more concerning thing. A fair number of the devs who've posted about their games being rejected seem to have pretty decent looking games. Since Oculus is not providing reasons why they are rejecting it seems entirely arbitrary. Considering vr devs already have an extremely low chance of making much money I'd think this would scare off a lot of devs. At the very least Oculus should go the old psn/xbox route of having a 'crazy indies' section that doesn't show up when normally browsing/searching, but allows some chance for those games to make enough direct sales to get onto the main store.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

No need to get defensive friend, I'm just getting someone who hasn't read the entire thread up to speed. No judgement intended

Two people directly or indirectly called me a shill to my face, why shouldn't I respond to these implications that my opinion isn't worth listening to? Like the only reason he'd make that comment is to insinuate I'm paid off and my thoughts should be rejected out of hand. That's really frustrating.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I knew everyone would lose their minds over vr desktop, but I think this is the more concerning thing. A fair number of the devs who've posted about their games being rejected seem to have pretty decent looking games. Since Oculus is not providing reasons why they are rejecting it seems entirely arbitrary. Considering vr devs already have an extremely low chance of making much money I'd think this would scare off a lot of devs. At the very least Oculus should go the old psn/xbox route of having a 'crazy indies' section that doesn't show up when normally browsing/searching, but allows some chance for those games to make enough direct sales to get onto the main store.

Yeah. I finally played To The Top recently and found it pretty disappointing, but it's a completely serviceable game; it wouldn't have felt out of place on the storefront parts of the PS3 or XB360 stores, let alone the indie ghettos. The idea of running a store pickier than those seems misguided at best, even if they were applying those standards consistently.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

FuzzySlippers posted:

Considering vr devs already have an extremely low chance of making much money I'd think this would scare off a lot of devs.

It's already scared off the dev of Jet Island, who said he has it working fairly well on the Quest already and would have it running perfectly with more optimizations, but has decided to not pursue a Quest port because he doesn't want to put in the time and money while Oculus is playing games like this.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

sethsez posted:

It's already scared off the dev of Jet Island, who said he has it working fairly well on the Quest already and would have it running perfectly with more optimizations, but has decided to not pursue a Quest port because he doesn't want to put in the time and money while Oculus is playing games like this.

Then theres other devs (Synth Riders for example), who are taking the time because getting the app into a market space that actually has customers is important for them to survive.

It ain't perfect. But I just don't see how people don't understand.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

Then theres other devs (Synth Riders for example), who are taking the time because getting the app into a market space that actually has customers is important for them to survive.

The point is precisely that it's not "you put in the time, you get access to the market". Devs are putting in the time and getting an unexplained "no" at the end of it on games that any other platform would be happy to have; that's not just a bummer, it's potentially fatal for an indie dev. They shouldn't have to be taking that kind of risk blindly, and its completely understandable that many aren't willing to.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

rage-saq posted:

There is no way to get a hardware decoder attached to the Quest, which is where most of the latency exists right now. I’m not sure how TPcast is doing it with the air but their demo video showed no dongle.
Encoding takes about 5ms, transport about 1.5ms and decode over 12ms. There is a whole lot of not listed latency in ALVR etc that makes it hard to determine where it lies and what would improve it.
A hardware solution would probably turn that into 1-2ms encode (low encoding rate due to very high bandwidth transport, in the GB/s range), 0.5-1ms transport and 1-2ms decode.
That being said, ALVR with ~60ms latency is extremely, extremely playable to the point of being able to forget you aren’t native in most games.
People having issues probably aren’t on a 5ghz network and probably have a garbage WAP built into their garbage router/wap/switch combo that can’t maintain a 30-50mbps data stream with low packet loss. This unfortunately describes every single piece of consumer wireless networking equipment but fortunately Uniquiti makes extremely good WiFi gear for roughly the same price.

My ASUS AC5300 has worked very well for me streaming to the Quest at 60Mbps with very low latency and packet loss but it's one of the more expensive consumer level routers.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is Richies Plank Experience just a good demo for people? I feel like it has one gimmick and thats it.

$14 is hard to swallow for that.

The one time I played RPE, I stepped off the plank once, went back up the elevator, then just flew around on the jetpack for like twenty minutes. It was fun.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

EbolaIvory posted:

It ain't perfect. But I just don't see how people don't understand.

The reason the Jet Island dev abandoned the port is because other devs with polished games have been denied recently. To The Top is finished. It's ready to go. It's popular on PC, and it's also popular on the PS4 which is an actual console, like Oculus wants the Quest to be. And yet despite it being a solid port (we have 20 minutes of gameplay footage) of a good game with a proven fanbase and positive reviews, it still got denied with no explanation.

You say they need to get the app into a market space that actually has customers, but the reality is that right now the Quest has a way smaller userbase than either PCVR or PSVR. It certainly has the potential to grow and become popular, possibly the biggest VR headset on the market, but that's going to depend on software support, and right now Oculus is making that look like a pretty tenuous bet. And for devs who managed to get onto Sony's platform, right next to Astrobot and Gran Turismo Sport, that's got to be particularly galling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

I’m htc sponsored, work the oculus people, dislike social media in general and think lemmings right mostly.

You Facebook haters are loving funny. I’ve worked directly with the Quest team. And all you people saying facebooks gonna do x or whateve and ruin poo poo have no idea. Oculus isn’t being puppeted by Facebook to lock poo poo down and make it some scummy marketplace that stops development and poo poo. They just don’t want janky poo poo in the official store for a device meant for normal non enthusiast users.

The general concern is it doesn't really matter what Oculus' staff want or their internal plans. If Facebook sends down word to do something, it will start and end at "yes sir" for them.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/vader-immortal-hits-oculus-rift-june-2019-1203241099/

Vader Immortal releases on rift June 20 with crossbuy if you bought it on the Quest.* Yay.**

*Disclaimer I work for a related company and I'm not being a shill mentioning it please don't be mad at me vr goons :ohdear:

**Obviously something a shill would say

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Edit: Nevermind.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

mashed_penguin posted:

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/vader-immortal-hits-oculus-rift-june-2019-1203241099/

Vader Immortal releases on rift June 20 with crossbuy if you bought it on the Quest.* Yay.**

*Disclaimer I work for a related company and I'm not being a shill mentioning it please don't be mad at me vr goons :ohdear:

The worst shill: one that doesn’t realize he’s a shill

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

The point is precisely that it's not "you put in the time, you get access to the market". Devs are putting in the time and getting an unexplained "no" at the end of it on games that any other platform would be happy to have; that's not just a bummer, it's potentially fatal for an indie dev. They shouldn't have to be taking that kind of risk blindly, and its completely understandable that many aren't willing to.

This is also not new for Oculus. They have been rejecting app/games with no explanation since they opened the Gear/Go/Rift stores. They said that curation for Quest would be much tighter. Right now if Oculus isn't paying you or previously publicly committed that your title will get in the store it's probably a good chance you won't get in the store. I fully expect either Onward or Pavlov will get rejected from getting into the Quest store and that will start a poo poo storm.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

rage-saq posted:

The worst shill: one that doesn’t realize he’s a shill

:qq: :negative:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

sethsez posted:

The reason the Jet Island dev abandoned the port is because other devs with polished games have been denied recently. To The Top is finished. It's ready to go. It's popular on PC, and it's also popular on the PS4 which is an actual console, like Oculus wants the Quest to be. And yet despite it being a solid port (we have 20 minutes of gameplay footage) of a good game with a proven fanbase and positive reviews, it still got denied with no explanation.

You say they need to get the app into a market space that actually has customers, but the reality is that right now the Quest has a way smaller userbase than either PCVR or PSVR. It certainly has the potential to grow and become popular, possibly the biggest VR headset on the market, but that's going to depend on software support, and right now Oculus is making that look like a pretty tenuous bet. And for devs who managed to get onto Sony's platform, right next to Astrobot and Gran Turismo Sport, that's got to be particularly galling.

NRVNQSR posted:

Like I said, its not perfect. And theres not a huge rear end team doing things. I think split here has a game thats been denied on "all" oculus stores if i remember right. He also didn't get really any feedback. I've never said its not crappy but I kinda 'Get it' in most cases. To the Top I don't quite understand. I really don't understand that one. Unless all we saw is the polished bits and not the stuff that may still be an issue?

Stick100 posted:

This is also not new for Oculus. They have been rejecting app/games with no explanation since they opened the Gear/Go/Rift stores. They said that curation for Quest would be much tighter. Right now if Oculus isn't paying you or previously publicly committed that your title will get in the store it's probably a good chance you won't get in the store. I fully expect either Onward or Pavlov will get rejected from getting into the Quest store and that will start a poo poo storm.

Kind of this. Or if you can get directly in touch with some people on the team to get dev kit access and all that poo poo. If you're at least in the loop with them it can help get more info as to why things are getting denied.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 12, 2019

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The general concern is it doesn't really matter what Oculus' staff want or their internal plans. If Facebook sends down word to do something, it will start and end at "yes sir" for them.

I mean, I love my Quest, but I still block Facebook.com/Oculus.com on my home router by default just in case they try to push a wifi update one day that really fucks my ALVR/sideloading or disabling Guardian or something.

Carmack tweets are a beacon of hope for the PC streaming potential. But even though he's one of the greatest programmers to walk the earth, he's also Facebook's bitch; if some suit tells him to deep-six his PC streaming work for whatever reason, that'll be that.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

EbolaIvory posted:

I have relationships with several current and former employees of Oculus. Facebook has more control and influence than was originally anticipated. I cannot speak to the exact level but I do know a handful of former employees who left as a direct result of the change of ownership and how it affected the direction and strategy of the company.

Whether that is good or bad is entirely subjective. Though it is easy to understand why with Facebook's history this can be seen as concerning to some.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mashed_penguin posted:

I heard this game was kinda boring/simple

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

People seem to largely like it :shrug:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Lemming posted:

Two people directly or indirectly called me a shill to my face, why shouldn't I respond to these implications that my opinion isn't worth listening to? Like the only reason he'd make that comment is to insinuate I'm paid off and my thoughts should be rejected out of hand. That's really frustrating.

To clarify I was not accusing you of anything. I was curious though because the way you speak is how a lot of people speak about a product or company they are vested in. I have never really seen you post anything critical of Oculus while being critical of other companies/hardwares. Your reasoning is confusing to me as well often, and sometimes it can feel like you are really reaching in your justifications to questionable decisions made by the company.

Shill is likely not the best term, if indeed you have no affiliation past some prize money, just seems you're a fanboy which is fine. We all have our preferred consoles right?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

This thread has its fanboys on all the sides of this extra nerdy continuation of the forever console war.

Obviously anyone that defends a vive wand is either a valve/vive fanboy or certifiably insane.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

mashed_penguin posted:

This thread has its fanboys on all the sides of this extra nerdy continuation of the forever console war.

Obviously anyone that defends a vive wand is either a valve/vive fanboy or certifiably insane.

I agree with this. Even having used an index headset I am by far most excited for knuckles. Not just because I think they are an amazing controller but because I can finally use something that isn't a vive wand.

Whoever designed the grip buttons on the vive wand should probably be locked up.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

I agree with this. Even having used an index headset I am by far most excited for knuckles. Not just because I think they are an amazing controller but because I can finally use something that isn't a vive wand.

Whoever designed the grip buttons on the vive wand should probably be locked up.

Watching me play shooters with those grips after being a rift boi for so long. Hahaha. Holy poo poo.

Beat Saber, Synth Riders, and like Five Nights At Freddies is basically all I play on my vive because the wands are just so trash.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Skyarb posted:

To clarify I was not accusing you of anything. I was curious though because the way you speak is how a lot of people speak about a product or company they are vested in. I have never really seen you post anything critical of Oculus while being critical of other companies/hardwares. Your reasoning is confusing to me as well often, and sometimes it can feel like you are really reaching in your justifications to questionable decisions made by the company.

Shill is likely not the best term, if indeed you have no affiliation past some prize money, just seems you're a fanboy which is fine. We all have our preferred consoles right?

Alternatively you could address the actual points I'm making, which I make an effort to back up, which includes giving opposing views a fair shake. Of course, it's much easier to just accuse people of being shills/fanboys so ultimately it's your life

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

EbolaIvory posted:

Watching me play shooters with those grips after being a rift boi for so long. Hahaha. Holy poo poo.

Beat Saber, Synth Riders, and like Five Nights At Freddies is basically all I play on my vive because the wands are just so trash.

Yeah beatsaber is the only game I play when I am not doing review work, and that is passable on vive wands because you don't have to use it other than the trigger. After using touch controls for a long while I truly despised the wands. Even just holding them in your hands is so much less comfortable than touch.

Although I am a bit surprised by the new touch controllers, I much prefer original rift touch to these new ones for the quest and rift s.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

The training mode is the lightsaber training disco balls from A New Hope.

I used that to demo to some coworkers and they basically orgasmed in unbridled childlike glee, shouting like they completely forgot they were still in an office with their peers. A few ran out and got their own after that. "Fun to swing lightsaber" is burned into guy's brains since childhood. Anyway, it is simple but quite polished.

mashed_penguin posted:

I can ignore the Vive Wands but I will not abide statements that the WMR controllers are "not that bad". Spreading misinformation like that is just a cruel thing to do to your fellow man.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you're accused of being a shill there's literally nothing you can say to convince people otherwise, defending yourself really only makes you look worse

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

Yeah beatsaber is the only game I play when I am not doing review work, and that is passable on vive wands because you don't have to use it other than the trigger. After using touch controls for a long while I truly despised the wands. Even just holding them in your hands is so much less comfortable than touch.

Although I am a bit surprised by the new touch controllers, I much prefer original rift touch to these new ones for the quest and rift s.

100% I score better on them, and its the only reason I use em (well that and vive pro wireless, so like, unless i setup rift poo poo and do the voodoo saqs doing im stuck).

Knuckles need to be in my hands. Right meow.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 12, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

EbolaIvory posted:

100% I score better on them, and its the only reason I use em (well that and vive pro wireless, so like, unless i setup rift poo poo and do the voodoo saqs doing im stuck).

Knuckles need to be in my hands. Right meow.

Oddly enough I also score better with wands, I am not sure if that is some odd placebo or if it is because of the slightly more accurate tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The mod scene for Blade & Sorcery has taken off, adding new weapons from Nier:A, World of Warcraft, The Witcher 3, and uh, of course, the Gunblade from FF8: https://www.nexusmods.com/bladeandsorcery/mods/?BH=0

Also multiple pistols. Which are fun for John Wick practice.