Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's that the book with Magna Defender Mike as a main character has bad characters perish the thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Mike got called out for being too self sacrificial though. “Dude you’ve had to cheat death like three times loving STOP” is a lesson he should learn.

Ranger Slayer annoys me because she adds very little, would have been better served as something of an Old Nimoy Spock to Kim’s Young Spock (eg: helping her grow a bit and then leaving), and because too much pink energy is dangerous she demotes Karone to Billy-In-Zeo status.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Beyond the Grid has been such a dud. The art is janky and doesn't convey movement well at all, and the villain is just a generic bad guy that makes everyone feel sad with holograms. It doesn't help the super special, most important, totally original main character (do not steal) has the personality of a mop. She's done nothing since the first issue except stand around and mope about how bad the bad guy is.

Apparently they're wrapping up Beyond the Grid real soon and shuffling lead writers, and going back to MMPR around the time Tommy comes back as the white ranger. So, yay, more Tommy, but after a dud you go back to your strengths and Tommy's one of them.

Go Go has been phenomenal though. Alpha-1 is a nice development and a change of pace from Rita's plotting in the background (even that has turned out better than I was fearing, it's fleshing her background out quite a bit).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

What's that the book with Magna Defender Mike as a main character has bad characters perish the thought

Mike's much worse in MMPR too. I can't believe he'd betray the entire team to save them, and I sure as hell don't give a gently caress about his sudden romance with the least memorable character from Zeo.

As Nero Danced posted:

Go Go has been phenomenal though. Alpha-1 is a nice development and a change of pace from Rita's plotting in the background (even that has turned out better than I was fearing, it's fleshing her background out quite a bit).

Rita has been loving amazing in the comics continuity in general but I absolutely adore what the last few chapters have done with her, making it clear why she'll become the Mystic Mother much later on and genuinely justifying why she allows Goldar and co. to keep failing in spite of her being several times more competent than her original version. And it's such an obvious thing too - she does because she genuinely cares about her people. Which is, you know, also true of the original Rita, even if neither of them would ever admit it. All the while she never stops being clearly evil and witty.

Knowing about her mother makes me really wonder where the gently caress Rito came from though. According to her flashback he wasn't there when she got taken by Master Vile, despite being the younger sibling.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

Ranger Slayer annoys me because she adds very little, would have been better served as something of an Old Nimoy Spock to Kim’s Young Spock (eg: helping her grow a bit and then leaving), and because too much pink energy is dangerous she demotes Karone to Billy-In-Zeo status.

That's a shame. Adult Kim was great in (again) GGPR.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I read GGPR and, though I've been wrong with all my predictions, I still hope for a twist that Alpha-1 gave Mondo the coordinates to Earth in return for the rebuilt body and upgrades.

"When I'm done getting what I want, they'll be defenseless for you take the resources."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Craptacular! posted:

I read GGPR and, though I've been wrong with all my predictions, I still hope for a twist that Alpha-1 gave Mondo the coordinates to Earth in return for the rebuilt body and upgrades.

"When I'm done getting what I want, they'll be defenseless for you take the resources."

I can't imagine. Alpha-1 isn't evil at all, he's an extremist who wants good to triumph over evil even if it means getting as bad as they are. Letting King Mondo have such an advantage would run contrary to his goals, and selling the Earth would be against his personality.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't imagine. Alpha-1 isn't evil at all, he's an extremist who wants good to triumph over evil even if it means getting as bad as they are. Letting King Mondo have such an advantage would run contrary to his goals, and selling the Earth would be against his personality.

He blames Zordon for making him fight battles he sees as needless and abandoning him. The latter isn’t totally wrong since they had to address why we’ve never discussed this character, but he is essentially a bratty teenager. He’s pissed at Dad and thinks he knows everything. Yet he shows up unscarred and rebuilt after some battle where Zordon thought he was destroyed. Maybe it doesn’t go down like what I posted exactly, but he has to get the rebuilt somehow, and Mondo’s the guy in early PR history best equipped to rebuild a battle droid with new Decepticon-like abilities. It’s not clear if Alpha has any investment in Earth, to him it seems like yet another planet caught in Zordon’s war against the darkness. It’s kind of hinted Zordon’s already risked quite a few otherworldly populations before this point.

I’m just amused when this comic ties up loose ends in TV continuity, like Rita’s mother being designed to resemble Soga’s Magiranger cameo, and why Rita would go to that after being made a normal modern person at the end of In Space. We know Zordon is right because we have the foresight of future seasons that the characters in universe do not. We know Rita eventually becomes something of a ranger leader herself. And since the ME shows up unexpected, conveniently emerging on the same day the command center blows up, it’d be a nod to the future if this event tips them off to Earth’s potential. Zordon is basically universally feared by villains at this point; Mondo would look at it as if this guy can get rid of Zordon, it’ll be easier to push him out of the way and begin the invasion.

There’s also a very M.E. style cogwheel nucleus like shape on the background wall for the page when A1’s design is first revealed and he’s texting Billy, which has been why I’ve sort of suspected their involvement from the start.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 19, 2019

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Anyone heard the viewership or toy sales numbers on Ryusouler? I haven't much of anything past the pilot, though I might be projecting my own disinterest?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zedd posted:

Hahahahaha, just wait. :getin:

Just got to the RPM Ultrazord. :psypop: Who the hell thought that was a good idea. Pretty sure that's the most hideous Zord I've ever seen.

At least it has the advantage of being absolutely huge, but it isn't nearly as cool as the SPD command zord or the Super Train Zord. But like the Super Train Zord it at least has a neat combination sequence.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 29, 2019

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Darth TNT posted:

Just got to the RPM Ultrazord. :psypop: Who the hell thought that was a good idea. Pretty sure that's the most hideous Zord I've ever seen.

At least it has the advantage of being absolutely huge, but it isn't nearly as cool as the SPD command zord or the Super Train Zord. But like the Super Train Zord it at least has a neat combination sequence.
That was the start of "Let's put every mech in the entire series on the same megazord" in Sentai and probably one of the worst offenses, but at least they make fun of it in the show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the RPM Ultrazord is a thing of beauty

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
How dare anyone deny the glory of the RPM ultrazord

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RealFoxy posted:

That was the start of "Let's put every mech in the entire series on the same megazord" in Sentai and probably one of the worst offenses, but at least they make fun of it in the show.

It didn't last long though.
Samurai/Shinkenger, sorta Go-Busters/beast Morphers and the cube one use all main units. Kyuuranger, LuPat , goseiger and gokaiger had a ton of leftovers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zedd posted:

Samurai/Shinkenger, sorta Go-Busters/beast Morphers and the cube one use all main units. Kyuuranger, LuPat , goseiger and gokaiger had a ton of leftovers.

Go-Busters never uses more than five robots though, it definitely does not count.
Kyuranger is in a weird position since most of its units actually isn't used, only the balls are for all non-Red robots.
LuPat does it interestingly in that the auxiliary stuff can fuse at will with the final unit for attacks, too bad that doesn't stop it from looking terrible.
Nothing ever reaches Samurai Haoh wielding the Kyoryumaru levels of robot saturation ever again though. Or when it does, the individual parts are so basic and terrible that the final result feels horribly uninspired (Zyuohger) instead of wonderfully stupid (Shinkenger).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Go-Busters never uses more than five robots though, it definitely does not count.
My criteria is just "uses all the mechs" not so much a certain amount of them. The Lion and red being interchangeable aside it does use all mechs. But yeah it's p low on the clusterfuck scale overall.

I have high hopes for the Ryusoulger line, at the very least there will be a TON of possible fan abominations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zedd posted:

I have high hopes for the Ryusoulger line, at the very least there will be a TON of possible fan abominations.

Thos are the best kind.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Zedd posted:

Go Busters is great because the Ultrazord is just all the auxiliary machines combined, giving Ace maximum time to shine. Kind of like the Mega Tigerzord, now I think about it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

I can't stop laughing whenever I see that stupid flying whale strapped to the back of whatever robot it's a part of. It's especially stupid when you consider RPM figured it would be a very powerful zord.
It pretty much just does a split and hangs uselessly on the back as kibble. It's not even extra guns or anything.

I don't think they'll introduce anymore Zords anymore in the few episodes I have left, so I just have to say. I am loving the names of these Zords.
ValveMax MegaZord!
SkyRev Megazord!
PaleoMax Megazord!

They keep using those V's and Xes which manages to make all zords just sound metal.
(Though for skyrev I can't help but think of a reverend instead of the revving of an engine.)

And to a slightly lesser degree:
High Octane Megazord!
Zenith Megazord!
Mach Megazord!

Just words that I like or imply speed or big power.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly the Go-Onger/RPM Zords look better in toy form* than they do in the show, indeed I'd say that's the case for many of the more toyetic designs and formations in the franchise, well besides the designs in Zyuohger or LuPat, those ones are mediocre no matter how you look at them

*to be specific the Bandai of Japan molds, not the crappy ones that Bandai of America started using after Operation Overdrive cause they're a bunch of cheap assholes

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

G256 Formation is probably one of the craziest mecha in the entire franchise.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

G256 Formation is probably one of the craziest mecha in the entire franchise.

My favorite was when they did G-12 formation the first time, and all the mechs did their own roll-call.

e: Also, I think this was probably just TV-N subs being weird, but I did really enjoy the line for one of those giant Go-Onger combos: "SUBJUGATING ALL EVIL! THE GIGANTIC KING OF ENGINES!"

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 2, 2019

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

Commence printing your Putty Patrol.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3675609

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hot drat. Will print tonight and report back.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The MMPR comic ended Beyond the Grid this week. I blame poor pacing for that because the last issue wasn't bad.

They reinforced the "things are going to be different because Drakkon hosed up the history" and the white ranger is coming right away next issue. Would be neat if they used the "Zyu3" dinozords + tigerzord design for a while.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Warning

I am about to inspire you

Are you inspired?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I thought the sabertooth coin was Trini's?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Siegkrow posted:

I thought the sabertooth coin was Trini's?
That's Saba, the sword thing that he carried around.

e: Oh it is the Tiger, whoops

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 10, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The white ranger coin was a shape, not an animal.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, that's not even the right Morpher.

Either this was a fan photo and they gave him whatever prop they had, or this was a decision on his part to honor Thuy.

JDF definitely knows what his morpher and his coins looked like.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
JDF probably wears his original belt with morphed just to lounge around the house and you know what, so would I

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Who wouldn't?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Has there ever been a worse actor who got by solely on his natural charisma? It's like, we all know he's a terrible actor and none of us cares because dawwww.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Why not inspire us with a photo of his latest Louis Vuitton hilarity? It is :discourse:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Has there ever been a worse actor who got by solely on his natural charisma? It's like, we all know he's a terrible actor and none of us cares because dawwww.

I didn't know he had charisma.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Craptacular! posted:

The white ranger coin was a shape, not an animal.

Way early on they used a hissing cat for the white ranger's coin in some of the toy releases, but yeah that's the sabertooth tiger coin in the JDF picture.

It was actually harder to find one of these than I thought, I swiped this picture off of ebay.

JDF probably has the dragon dagger and saba props in glass cases in his house with little "in case of emergency" labels underneath them. Come to think of it, Schwarzenegger did the same thing with the Conan sword.

e: Yeah, that's it, you're right

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 11, 2019

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure the tiger coin comes from a Dairanger thing

https://powerrangers.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Arsenal_(Dairanger)#Heavenly_Treasure_Lai-Lai_Jewels

edit: why do all wikis love to break links so drat much

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, I let a man I love very much edit the episode but it took a while due to RL bullshit.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

It's like a YTP but actually funny.