Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Peace through Posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://clips.twitch.tv/BigToughSalsifyRedCoat

lol

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Seriously if that guy is really enjoying it, the more power to him.

I know I've played plenty of dumb games with a soul crushing grind, that if you approach with some carefree attitude, you have an enjoyable time.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Lladre posted:

Seriously if that guy is really enjoying it, the more power to him.

I know I've played plenty of dumb games with a soul crushing grind, that if you approach with some carefree attitude, you have an enjoyable time.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

For a second I thought my monitor was off.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lladre posted:

For a second I thought my monitor was off.

When I read about people playing Star Citizen for over two hours I always assumed their monitor was literally off.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
What's weird is I don't even have blonde hair.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hav posted:

Fortnite is printing money.

$2.5 billion in 2018. Tim’s buying market share at the moment.
Wow. That's almost enough to make Star Citizen.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

tooterfish posted:

I laughed, not because it's funny but because it's sadly true.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

on paper, sure.

rePool posted:

I laughed, not because it's funny but because it's sadly true.

It's funny because it's important to understand that Star Citizen has actually already spent the income from the people most likely to buy, and is looking for a mysterious group of individuals who are simultaneously bad with money *and* enjoy groggy 'deep' simulations that require a time investment to play.

Star Citizen's $250 million is all liability. Apart from hosting and ongoing development, Fornite is all profit, hence the spending spree. Microsoft is doing the same thing as it merges the Xbox brand with PC Gaming.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I was like a week away from the thread. Any updates? Did they show a sizzle real of Star Citizen at E3 to a chorus of SCAM and Fs again?

Somebody thought they saw Disco Lando with Star Citizen's latest booth in the parking lot at E3 but it turned out it was just a homeless man panhandling

Also they released 3.5.1 to the public- an "Incremental" patch to a quarterly patch that came out 2.5 months ago. 3.6 is nowhere to be seen so far but it's sure to fix uh, *checks notes* absolutely nothing. Huh. How about that.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dementropy posted:

A view from outside the bubble:

I love the usual defense: But there are other hobbies that cost just as much if not more. Well those hobbies actually exist and provide immediate value. Golfing you say? Well the clubs already exist and the courses are there and I might add very enjoyable if you are into that kind of thing.

Once confronted by that they then roll into: " no one has the right to tell me what to do with my money!" So regressing right back to the stage where you would tell your mother she isn't the boss of you!

The final stage is acceptance: Well either way I've had more fun these last few years and met new friends so it has totally been worth it!

I mean this is a cons perfect mark. There are MLM people all over the world masturbating furiously in hopes of getting a hold of a few people like this let alone thousands.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

In regards to getting Keanu Reeves into this thread, maybe the mods should let him know that Star Citizen has Gary Oldman and it would be a good chance for him to catch up since their last movie together, Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Kosumo posted:

In regards to getting Keanu Reeves into this thread, maybe the mods should let him know that Star Citizen has Gary Oldman and it would be a good chance for him to catch up since their last movie together, Bram Stoker's Dracula.

In a new twist, Dracula sucks wallets dry.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

rePool posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/constructive-criticism-for-devs

So it's been a while since I dared to check Spectrum. It seems nothing has changed. Isn't this guy pro-SC?

Very fragile community over there.

The supporters even accept 3.5.1 is full of bugs, even more so than before but can't quite come to the realization of why. Instead they lay it at the feet of the free fly putting extra stress on the system. NO! it's because they keep throwing more poo poo code on a pile of even shittier code and the engine is reaching its limit to handle poo poo code!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Ghostlight posted:

at 95 degrees anybody who's not drinking a pale lager is an idiot, beer snob or not.

I defy you good sir, in hot weather I am far more likely going to be drinking a wheat ale or a radler. A lager is definitely still an option of course, I just generally don't like them much.

Also, I feel like I'm in a time warp with y'all complaining about stuff being overhopped. That was done 3-4 years ago. There's definitely still a proliferation of IPAs out there but the days of pushing 100 IBU stuff are long-gone except for an oddball offering every now and then. The trend now is sours, saisons, and their derivatives. And the odd weirdos still trying to push smoked beers.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Confession time thread... this has been eating me alive...

My workplace got an espresso machine a month ago or so, and after getting trained on how to use and clean the thing I have come to realize that it is the exact same model, and we were trained by the same guy in the CiG picture.

I feel grief...... and smooth coffee.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

fargom posted:

My workplace got an espresso machine a month ago or so, and after getting trained on how to use and clean the thing I have come to realize that it is the exact same model, and we were trained by the same guy in the CiG picture.

I feel grief...... and smooth coffee.

Unless your company exists soley on donations made by people who think their money is being used elsewhere, you have no reason to feel bad.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That kicks rear end actually. You should make sure to ruin your countertops with it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

I defy you good sir, in hot weather I am far more likely going to be drinking a wheat ale or a radler. A lager is definitely still an option of course, I just generally don't like them much.

Also, I feel like I'm in a time warp with y'all complaining about stuff being overhopped. That was done 3-4 years ago. There's definitely still a proliferation of IPAs out there but the days of pushing 100 IBU stuff are long-gone except for an oddball offering every now and then. The trend now is sours, saisons, and their derivatives. And the odd weirdos still trying to push smoked beers.

Imagine if Citra hops were in the verse.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Oh man that would be beautiful, I can only hope Croberts fishing for Epic moneys.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

reverend crabhands posted:

Oh man that would be beautiful, I can only hope Croberts fishing for Epic moneys.

Indeed, that would be awesome.
But I can imagine Epic wants games that actually have a chance of a) being released and b) being good. The only thing CR has to show for is a buggy, broken black hole sucking in money. "Epic Store? Wasn't that this failed steam knock-off where that biggest crowd funding disaster ever 'launched'?"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

Somebody thought they saw Disco Lando with Star Citizen's latest booth in the parking lot at E3 but it turned out it was just a homeless man panhandling

Also they released 3.5.1 to the public- an "Incremental" patch to a quarterly patch that came out 2.5 months ago. 3.6 is nowhere to be seen so far but it's sure to fix uh, *checks notes* absolutely nothing. Huh. How about that.

The "version numbers" never get old. As a failed tech demo, Star Citizen isn't even qualified to have anything beyond an internal build number. Never mind that, they're on "3.5.1" which implies they're on their second post-release expansion pack, their fifth major content release for that expansion, and their first set of patches for that content release.

That's goddamned impressive for a game that hasn't entered the design phase yet.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

fargom posted:

That'll be the botulism.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

Now I want Epic to buy Star Citizen exclusivity for their store. They could keep this trainwreck going for another decade, easily :D

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Q: Which of 3.6, 3.7, or 3.8, will be hyped as the next Jesus patch? :confused:

A: Whichever patch adds Server-Side Object Container Streaming :smuggo:

Citizens are already hyping this "core technology" and attaching imaginary improvements to it. SSOCS is not even on the stupidly-optimistic roadmap yet FFS :laffo:

Do you actually care or are you just here to complain? :argh:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

That kicks rear end actually. You should make sure to ruin your countertops with it.

Maybe they don't have unsealed stone countertops where fargom works?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for Chris to see the Final Fantasy 7 remake trailer and go tell his character art team that he needs characters more detailed than that - tomorrow.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

Star Citizen, True or False -
"Ten for the Chairman" was named after the amount of time Chris Roberts will most likely end up having to spend in jail
"Ten for the Chair, man" was Ben Lesnick's idea to charge an extra $10 for the missing seat.
"Ten for the Chairman" is a David Attenborough document about erotic bears in the 2010's
"Ten for the Chairman" is gone ….... but not forgotten. :yarg:

the answer is:
“tent for the german“ which is a kickstarter campaign to house CRYTEC once they are CRYREKT

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

Q: Which of 3.6, 3.7, or 3.8, will be hyped as the next Jesus patch? :confused:

A: Whichever patch adds Server-Side Object Container Streaming :smuggo:

Weird how no other game has ever implemented this nearly impossible, revolutionary technology, yet at the same time none of those games seem to have the problems that Star Citizen has!

What dark magic did they cast?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bumble He posted:

the answer is:
“tent for the german“ which is a kickstarter campaign to house CRYTEC once they are CRYREKT

"10-4, Thatcher Main" was a common insult used to slag off someone feeding the enemy team in League of Legendary Prime Ministers

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The flight model is now cool and good https://clips.twitch.tv/TardyPuzzledAniseFailFish

:v:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Time for some exciting gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9K_CQg6MPY

A few brief reminders:
* This ship is a space race car
* There is no actual racing in this game and never will be
* This ship can't even carry boxes and thus cannot do the simplest of missions
* This ship costs 100 US Dollars

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lol, that flight model sucks so bad.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

You can totally see the fidelity and realism of how missing one of the 2 MOTHER loving MAIN THRUSTERS AND ALL THE POSITIONAL THRUSTERS IN ONE loving WING makes flight totally assymetric and much more challenging to master! Skill ceiling is not 10, it is 11!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lmao cig remade an old hovertank game

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oh cool Descent is out

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A lot of discussion about the new hover mode

There's some concern about it not being "Realistic"

Less concern about it being the 4th hack in a series of increasingly lovely junior dev fixes designed to hammer out problems in the flight model one at a time, rather than addressing the fundamental problem that nobody never actually figured out how the spaceships would fly around in a consistent manner.

Let's examine CIG's classic take on the space sim genre:
* You fly just like Wing Commander - exactly like Wing Commander, in fact, with the weird speed limit and also way more ability to rotate in place than to actually alter your speed. You're basically a space turret.
* No wait, that feels terrible. All of your thrusters are super powerful so now you can change your vector just as fast as you can turn, and your main engines are just for show.
* No wait, that feels and looks terrible. Your thrusters are still super powerful but now we've capped your speed at like, 150 m/s when you're in combat. You can get up to 1000m/s but only in a straight line and it drops if you try to turn.
* Still hate it huh. Okay, all of those past things still apply, but you can dial up or down the maximum speed limit of your thrusters to any range from zero to 1000m/s but if you go over 150 or so, they'll start using afterburner fuel or something. Also, your thrusters overheat and cut out but there's no feedback for this. Boom, flight model solved!

And then we get into flight over land:
* You fly like a camera with noclip enabled. Any direction you want with perfect twitchiness, even in a 400 ton starship.
* No wait that looks just awful. You uh, you still do that, but now if you go really fast, I guess your ship shakes a bit and doesn't turn well? Witness our revolutionary atmospheric flight model.
* Okay you didn't like that. Uh, how about... you still shake when you go really fast, but when you're slow you have to balance on a single column of downthrust even though the thrusters are clearly spread all over the ship, and it doesn't actually produce any thrust effects, so it still looks like you're noclip hovering but it's slightly harder to move with pinpoint accuracy. This will absolutely not change depending on damage to your ship. That feels good right? Atmospheric flight model complete!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

God that's amazing, how are they this many years and dollars in and they still have barely begun to work on one of the absolute core features a flight sim needs to get right before anything else is designed. Like, I've never designed a game in my life and I could tell you this.

This has probably been posted in the thread before, but look how Nintendo (and by extension, experienced game developers with an ounce of sense) started game design on Splatoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IJMXW0_dcU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Time for some exciting gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9K_CQg6MPY

A few brief reminders:
* This ship is a space race car
* There is no actual racing in this game and never will be
* This ship can't even carry boxes and thus cannot do the simplest of missions
* This ship costs 100 US Dollars

Is it just me or does the ship sound like a washing machine?