Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

FrankieSmileShow posted:

So the first big day of testing and debugging went really well. I appreciate the well wishes and motivation, but there are 5 of us making fixes and 4 people testing out the game and finding issues, so stop calling this Frankie's demo please.

Yesterday I almost finished installing dwarfnet from its separate project into the main project, only tweaks left is some text alignment issues and positioning issues I noticed after the stream yesterday, and also normal game music fails to resume when you quit dwarfnet too.
I also added some kind of error logging we can use to print out debug info to an external text file, because Barkley seems to be preventing Game Maker Studio's normal debug system, so figuring out problems felt like working blind.

bhroom added a loading image because the game takes long enough to load without any apparent loading that it feels like it failed to launch, so people try running it again and end up with several instances running at once. He also fixed too many quest/scripting problems to count from all the playtesting, added an extra starting gun to help the learning curve at the start, and fixed a cursor display issue.

Urto has been figuring out and fixing some issues regarding the games' default settings, and finding grammar issues and typos.

Stefano fixed a display problem with the game screen being displayed twice during character creation. (I dont actually know who that is? Do I know you under another username? At first I thought Stefano was paperjack but I noticed paperjack is listed separately in the GIT repository. Who is this mysterious programming gentleman??)

Weve also been talking about adding a pile of guns you get for free at the very beginning, so we can get you basic info about the general concept of how your arsenal works and have enough weapons to try it out right away. Also been thinking about tweaking the stats of one of the early enemies.

Lurdiak, Scarodactyl, Landsharkrawr and The Monster King have been doing testing, and have found a lot of issues for us to fix. Lurdiak and Scarodactyl in particular have been putting a lot of their time into this, and I really appreciate it.

I think we all most definitely appreciate you putting the legwork in to make this happen. <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the promise is being fulfilled.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you’d pay :10bux: to read unimplemented game ideas, might I recommend the something awful forums
:thejoke:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
how did these disastrous few days somehow that began with "barkley is dead forever, everything is hell and it's lethally toxic" result in "people making concerted effort to put together and release a playable build in the near future"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ALFbrot posted:

how did these disastrous few days somehow that began with "barkley is dead forever, everything is hell and it's lethally toxic" result in "people making concerted effort to put together and release a playable build in the near future"

Most involved (well, Frankie, at least) are putting in the effort to get the demo released and then washing their hands of it. It's still dead, this is just closure. If I spent the better part of a decade on a project that petered out I'd want that too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think the ultimate bummer was that the game didn't die solely due to funds drying up but because the part of the design was unworkable and someone couldn't bear to have that part excised and that that section was the part we were least interested in it.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think the ultimate bummer was that the game didn't die solely due to funds drying up but because the part of the design was unworkable and someone couldn't bear to have that part excised and that that section was the part we were least interested in it.

The worst part is the person who refuses to get rid of the unworkable stuff didn't even come up with it. He just considers himself the Keeper of the Flame. It's the same poo poo a really bad movie producer does

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bikloi

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Vice President posted:

Even if the game never gets beyond Frankie's demo release, now that the curtain's been pulled back it would be a real shame if everything that's been teased just disappears again. Could you just compile the script and all the design notes into an ebook or something and sell it to get some :10bux: to pay back all the promised wages and whatever?

barkley_ebooks

Actually that's not fair because horse_ebooks was taken over and used to viral market a browser game.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
You programmers and testers are all S.A.I.N.T's for doing this

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Streaming some more, should finish Dwarfnets implementation today. Its mostly working now, just need to tweak how posts appear over time in-game, I think theres a problem between how the current time and the post times are compared right now. https://www.twitch.tv/frankiepixelshow

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/2534817

Big kickstarter update just posted as well

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Congrats and Dwarfnet Frankie!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FrankieSmileShow posted:

So the first big day of testing and debugging went really well. I appreciate the well wishes and motivation, but there are 5 of us making fixes and 4 people testing out the game and finding issues, so stop calling this Frankie's demo please.

Yesterday I almost finished installing dwarfnet from its separate project into the main project, only tweaks left is some text alignment issues and positioning issues I noticed after the stream yesterday, and also normal game music fails to resume when you quit dwarfnet too.
I also added some kind of error logging we can use to print out debug info to an external text file, because Barkley seems to be preventing Game Maker Studio's normal debug system, so figuring out problems felt like working blind.

bhroom added a loading image because the game takes long enough to load without any apparent loading that it feels like it failed to launch, so people try running it again and end up with several instances running at once. He also fixed too many quest/scripting problems to count from all the playtesting, added an extra starting gun to help the learning curve at the start, and fixed a cursor display issue.

Urto has been figuring out and fixing some issues regarding the games' default settings, and finding grammar issues and typos.

Stefano fixed a display problem with the game screen being displayed twice during character creation. (I dont actually know who that is? Do I know you under another username? At first I thought Stefano was paperjack but I noticed paperjack is listed separately in the GIT repository. Who is this mysterious programming gentleman??)

Weve also been talking about adding a pile of guns you get for free at the very beginning, so we can get you basic info about the general concept of how your arsenal works and have enough weapons to try it out right away. Also been thinking about tweaking the stats of one of the early enemies.

Lurdiak, Scarodactyl, Landsharkrawr and The Monster King have been doing testing, and have found a lot of issues for us to fix. Lurdiak and Scarodactyl in particular have been putting a lot of their time into this, and I really appreciate it.

I honestly didn't expect this many people to come together for this.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Charles posted:

Funerals have a habit of bringing people together.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bargle

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

bortswif
Jun 6, 2019

The Ultimate Doge posted:

The worst part is the person who refuses to get rid of the unworkable stuff didn't even come up with it. He just considers himself the Keeper of the Flame. It's the same poo poo a really bad movie producer does

Identify yourself or shut up.

Why don't you say all this to bhroom non-anonymously if you've known him for such a long time? Crazy that the people purporting to know so much about toxic work environments are the same people stating opinion as fact for the world to see.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Crowdfunding round 2 of this is going to be honestly wild

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

just release a half-finished, broken mess for like 10 bux and promise to fix and finish it even if you have no intentions of ever doing so

say it’s satire about the current state of game design for good measure, we’ll probably still buy it

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

and a mandatory day-one patch that's required if you want it to run at all

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I think a day-negative-one patch would be more apt. Deploy the patch before the bugs are implemented.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Charles posted:

Fun fact: in Japan the title of Barkley 2 is actually Doki Doki Sunk Cost Fallacy

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

bortswif posted:

Identify yourself or shut up.

Why don't you say all this to bhroom non-anonymously if you've known him for such a long time? Crazy that the people purporting to know so much about toxic work environments are the same people stating opinion as fact for the world to see.

The reason I haven't identified myself is that this account was meant for anonymously posting dumb poo poo and I didn't want to spend $10 like you did. And all of this has already been said to Liam multiple times. It's not stating opinion as fact so much as stating the consensus of everyone who isn't his family

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also like I've said I don't hate your husband or consider him a villain. He's more like a tragic figure

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

super sweet best pal posted:

A tribute to the greatest moment in the adventure game genre.

With one of my favourite 'solutions' to the puzzle in the genre ever.

bortswif
Jun 6, 2019

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Also like I've said I don't hate your husband or consider him a villain. He's more like a tragic figure

Why would he care if you hate him if he doesn't know who the gently caress you are? You're weirding us all out.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

bortswif posted:

Why would he care if you hate him if he doesn't know who the gently caress you are? You're weirding us all out.

Well, so he knows I'm not going around talking poo poo about him or trying to sabotage him. I want what's best for your family and what's best for the project. I'm just really frustrated with Liam

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this arg really sucks

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
y'all are too quick to forget thermidor, the guillotine simulation game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i would be less quick to forget if you could marry the guillotine as was promised. but never delivered

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Al! posted:

this arg really sucks

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tactics should have a gacha system that just gives crap players and doesn't cost anything to use. 7* Ultra Omega Platinum Slamicite Unit: Naked Baller. He's got the skillz but is banned from the court for refusing to wear a uniform.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Take it to private DMs or text each other

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

tactics b-ball is cool but man can we get a stand alone space harrier b-ball too?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

a b-ball dating sim to dethrone dream daddy

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Retool the gun's breeding system into baller fusion for Tactics: Ballre

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Barkley 2 was just a curated series of posts about the game all along. The promise has been made.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
drat, the death tower looks sweet as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bark;ey