Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Well, it's still map painting game.

Idk, there's already all the mechanisms in the game that you would need, buildings, artifacts, the societies etc. It wouldn't be out of place at all. Just make artifact book, recruit vassals to society Reformed_faith etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ilitarist posted:

In my current Ireland Republic game the families that are powerful enough to expand the borders of the republic on their own. Northumbria became Cathars and they spam it with holy wars tearing it apart, each has their own truce. As far as I understand, you don't want your feudal characters ever do that cause they can suddenly become too powerful and rebellious, but the republic seems to remain stable.

Is this a suboptimal strategy?

possibly. what's the overall goal you have, ideally both on a grand scale and for this phase of the game? that matters a lot.

answer after trying to read between the lines a bit, however: typically a goal for people playing on the british isles is to control the entirety of the british isles, and if that's the goal then this is a fine strategy because you're getting it done more efficiently than doing it all yourself and you can generally predict where it will end and cool off for a bit (due to the geography). this means you can reasonably forecast that you will retain more financial and political power than your rivals and during this cool-off period you can return to killing the families to keep them weak/take their poo poo. it's still a grand strategy game at heart, so it's perfectly fine to take a calculated risk if you have a good idea of where the risk will end and put you at.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
In this kind of game, I feel the natural goal is to become as powerful and as safe as possible. Republic helps with the safe part as losing power doesn't mean getting killed, expansion helps with both. Empire of Britannia might be an end goal after which no one in the world would be a threat.

Now that you mention it this strategy may lead me to getting into trouble I don't want. Some of families have built posts in France (Austrasia but whatever). And this may potentially lead to them getting a city there and afterwards I have to fight Karlings.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ilitarist posted:

In this kind of game, I feel the natural goal is to become as powerful and as safe as possible. Republic helps with the safe part as losing power doesn't mean getting killed, expansion helps with both. Empire of Britannia might be an end goal after which no one in the world would be a threat.

Now that you mention it this strategy may lead me to getting into trouble I don't want. Some of families have built posts in France (Austrasia but whatever). And this may potentially lead to them getting a city there and afterwards I have to fight Karlings.

Should that happen there's nothing stopping you from surrendering. If it isn't territory you want anyway, gently caress'em. There's been plenty of times a vassal conquered some poo poo I didn't care about and while I'm happy to have it as a part of the realm I sure as gently caress ain't gonna spill an ocean of blood for it if somebody decides to declare war over it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Have you ever decided to go for occasional interventionalist peacekeeping for centuries after unifying into a stable empire? Like as Britannia or Francia?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

aphid_licker posted:

Idk, there's already all the mechanisms in the game that you would need, buildings, artifacts, the societies etc. It wouldn't be out of place at all. Just make artifact book, recruit vassals to society Reformed_faith etc.
I guess someone might make a similar mod eventually, although I think it would be quite ambitious. For now I found this very basic mod that replaces holy sites requirement with piety requirement. I guess that makes sense too, if you're regarded highly in your community because you're extremely pious person, you might pull off religious reformation.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I might be being extremely stupid but did they split the Pfalz province out of the game?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Sometimes you get a notification that one of your offspring is ill and do you want your physician to treat them. Normally I say yes but I think with my current ruler I said no one time, and the "no" option was something like "stop telling me when family members are ill". Now my heir, who has nice stats, has cancer. Is there any way for me to help him? Does the "stop notifying me of family illness" thing reset with each ruler?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Does the "stop notifying me of family illness" thing reset with each ruler?

It does. That option sets a character flag, which the popups check to see if it is either not set, or has been set for more than 5 years. So even if you choose it, 5 years later you'll get popups again. And because it's a character flag, it's specific to each ruler.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

binge crotching posted:

It does. That option sets a character flag, which the popups check to see if it is either not set, or has been set for more than 5 years. So even if you choose it, 5 years later you'll get popups again. And because it's a character flag, it's specific to each ruler.

Cool thanks. But in the meantime is there anything I can do for my heir? There doesn't seem to be anything from right-clicking either him or the physician, and the decisions list only allows me to attempt treatment on myself.

I really don't want him to die.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Is there any reason at all to form the HRE as Charlemagne nowadays versus forming Francia? The requirements are onerous and princely elective sucks as a succession law

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ilitarist posted:

as you realized, the two goals you've stated are sometimes at odds with one another. the best balance i would argue is definitely empire of britania + iceland. iceland in particular should be kept feudal and stuffed from top to bottom with your dynasts - it's pointless to make iceland a republic because it's too far away to get any real trade zones going, so a feudal society that you can use as a dynasty farm makes more sense.

a properly built up britania can absolutely resist an aztec invasion and nobody else is going to invade the isles as hard as them. if you ever step off the isles you will be assuming a ton of risk for yourself, at the tradeoff of probably becoming more powerful if you win. it'll be up to you to decide exactly how you want that to play out.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Cool thanks. But in the meantime is there anything I can do for my heir? There doesn't seem to be anything from right-clicking either him or the physician, and the decisions list only allows me to attempt treatment on myself.

I really don't want him to die.

The only thing I can think of would be to give him his own county, so he gets his own doctor and can choose to take treatment.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ilitarist posted:

Or because no one cares to try them. I don't see people playing nomads or Indians much too.

There's lots of feudal realms to duel with and around, there's only a few natural republics or nomads, and nomads only care about the outside as something to wreck, or something you wreck whilst on the way to settling down as feudal/republic elsewhere. Their issues are internal. One can argue similar for India. By the time you're dealing with everyone else, you're already a super-power.

The issue's often the same. They're....isolated. Not in terms of location, but interaction, I guess.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

I just spent the week improving the dynasty DLC flags. Here are my results!

The arms for reference: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/historical-dynasty-coa-list-with-culture-and-dates.1144348/

This is cool. Do you have a before and after comparison

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I’m playing a game starting at the 769 count of the canaries. It’s actually pretty fun playing as a pagan Berber

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

major trade routes have a much larger connectivity radius than normal trade posts, this is exactly how china makes contact with iberia routinely in the 1100-1200s if you've been playing from 769. it's practically impossible to control a silk road post and NOT have it connected to your larger trade network. presuming you have the westernmost one in turkey you would literally need to have your next closest post be almost all the way to the strait of gibraltar. this is comparing apples and oranges on its face and my point stands if you want to compare trade post to trade post or silk post to silk post (or, for that matter, saharan post to saharan post).

Do you have a source for this info on the mechanics behind trade zone connection and the connected to capital bonus? Regardless, you can't prioritize where your trade posts are if you are only getting them from dead family lottery, which was my point. The AI is kinda stupid about where they build them, and you are wholly dependent upon its decision making process if you are simply looting a portion of their posts over and over.

quote:

they compete with you for the dogedom, which encompasses like 90% of the power in the republic. a strong patrician family is effectively an always-on claimant faction. four of them is four always-on and always threatening claimant factions. a feudal lord would be horrified to have that state of affairs, it is insane to me that this is downplayed as fine.

It's more analogous to an elective monarchy which isn't quite that dire.

quote:

beyond that, i didn't recommend mercenaries to become a global power, i recommended them for close external wars that you couldn't win trivially otherwise (e.g., the conquest movements that MAKE you a global power). i'm not really feeling like you're reading what i'm typing anymore.

You asked me what I needed the additional levies for and I explained it. I'm not really feeling you know what you're typing anymore.

quote:

i concur. that starts with keeping the feudal world small/fragmented enough that they are never a problem. you again don't seem to be granting that i'm not suggesting doing away with feudalism entirely, only that they are kept small enough that their dumbass claim games cannot pose a threat to your republic.

They can't regardless, because as I said, no character in the game can compete with a doge when it comes to personal levies+retinues.

These are all superkings sitting at 6% and less of my personal levies + retinues. Why would I turn around and replace some of these with republicans when they are no threat to me, and doing so would benefit me in no way while sabotaging my levies? This is the case for all republics. Getting bigger increases your retinue cap, which increases your ability to dissuade revolters and would-be attackers, and gives you the freedom to grow vertically at levels that feudal rulers can't match. You don't need to handicap yourself at all.

If the only thing stopping your from spamming county claims on your own land to replace all of your vassals with republicans and theocracies as a feudal ruler is the 10% rule, then you do you, but I can't imagine playing that way. Perhaps you should try playing a republic while setting some rules for yourself beforehand. For instance, before demense limits became a thing, you could've argued CK2 was shallow, because all you had to do was go North Korea mode to conquer everything. Adding the demense limits didn't make the game deeper, it just funneled you towards playing the game differently, in a direction where you would get to experience more of the content that was already there. Maybe set a rule for yourself where you aren't allowed to force the extinction of other families, and try a game where you work around that limitation. Or something where you can only replace a certain number of vassals with republican or theocratic vassals to force you to have to deal with feudal vassal fuckery that is fun.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 12, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I’ve never wanted to play a merchant republic less

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Weird bug. For some reason, none of my grandchildren from one of my sons are being recognized as close relatives, so I can't nominate them for an elective monarchy. I know it's the close relative thing, because when I comment out exactly that line from the succession voting, they become eligible. The son in question is dead, but that shouldn't matter, and I noticed the problem before he died anyway. (I was going to nominate him directly, but he got his face torn off, and became stressed and depressed, which made people disinclined to vote for him.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Volkerball posted:

These are all superkings sitting at 6% and less of my personal levies + retinues. Why would I turn around and replace some of these with republicans when they are no threat to me, and doing so would benefit me in no way while sabotaging my levies? This is the case for all republics. Getting bigger increases your retinue cap, which increases your ability to dissuade revolters and would-be attackers, and gives you the freedom to grow vertically at levels that feudal rulers can't match. You don't need to handicap yourself at all.

I have zero interest in the Merchant Republics, but I have all the interest in the world in where that display is in the UI? I have to do some vassal cleanup tonight, and it would be much easier if I could get a readout like that of my current vassals.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure that's just the realm view. It's by your coat of arms on your character sheet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Do you have a source for this info on the mechanics behind trade zone connection and the connected to capital bonus? Regardless, you can't prioritize where your trade posts are if you are only getting them from dead family lottery, which was my point. The AI is kinda stupid about where they build them, and you are wholly dependent upon its decision making process if you are simply looting a portion of their posts over and over.
you can see it for yourself by opening up a new MR that functions on these major trade routes and looking at your coverage, but it is also documented in the .txt files in the core game. if you'd like to look at it i recommend the marrakeshi muslims in 769, they start as tribal and it's easy to reform to a MR, they start with access to the trans-saharan trade route, and there's lots of african pagans to the south that you can smash to fill out your land holdings, either prior to or after reformation.

quote:

It's more analogous to an elective monarchy which isn't quite that dire.
no, elective monarchy leaves you with your second-highest titles. losing the dogedom does not.

quote:

You asked me what I needed the additional levies for and I explained it. I'm not really feeling you know what you're typing anymore.
it cheapens us both when you play word games, please don't. you took exception to me trying to give you the benefit of the doubt by generalizing a specific solution for a specific suggestion into a general bit of end-all advice, which it was never intended to be.

quote:

They can't regardless, because as I said, no character in the game can compete with a doge when it comes to personal levies+retinues.
Why would I turn around and replace some of these with republicans when they are no threat to me, and doing so would benefit me in no way while sabotaging my levies?
because it does benefit you by piling more money on you (you yourself called it out as accentuating your strengths) and the levy argument is one that defeats itself. this is exactly the catch-22 that i've been pointing out. either they are important or they are not. you keep saying they are important without specifying your purpose or goal and then saying that the real power is your retinue anyway, but since your retinue has zero chance of revolting or going rogue, what purpose do these levies serve? conversely, if your levies are being used for something real and are important, the fact that the source is from feudal vassals makes them a threat. you cannot have it both ways.

quote:

If the only thing stopping your from spamming county claims on your own land to replace all of your vassals with republicans and theocracies as a feudal ruler is the 10% rule, then you do you, but I can't imagine playing that way.

yet so many people did that this rule had to be instituted, and if you turn off this rule, it disables achievements, because this was not an intended way to play. an MR has no such limitation and it's perfectly legitimate to play that way by anyone's estimation.

quote:

For instance, before demense limits became a thing, you could've argued CK2 was shallow, because all you had to do was go North Korea mode to conquer everything.

demense limits were in CK2 on launch day. there was never a time when you could hold everything yourself. the time when you could willfully go turn it off was relatively late in the development cycle, and, again, disables achievements because it's not an intended way to play.

quote:

Adding the demense limits didn't make the game deeper, it just funneled you towards playing the game differently,
no, it makes vassals - and, therefore, their games, plots, and obstacles - a necessity. this objectively made the game a lot deeper.

i feel like the real crux of the issue here gets summed up by your value statements here:

quote:

Perhaps you should try playing a republic while setting some rules for yourself beforehand
I can't imagine playing that way.
i would turn this back around on you: if you want to play it that way it's fine and i certainly am not going to tell you that you are wrong for doing it, but what i actually said is that mechanically, MRs are not very interestingly designed and there's a pretty well-worn way to 'solve' them such that you can do whatever you want and have no threats that could plausibly mess with you. this is not the case for feudals as you are pretty much always in a tug of war with your vassals on some level or another and the most powerful tools you have (like viceroyalties) are still far from real solutions and can easily get away from you on a number of occasions.

by the time you are suggesting that i need to institute extra rules to stop that solution, you've conceded that such a solution exists.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 12, 2019

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
In my experience both feudal and republican realms tend towards excessive stability once you get big enough, unless you're actively playing suboptimally. Keeping your vassals sufficiently weak and complacent is trivial with a sufficiently developed demesne, and plots against you become useless once you have enough options for Spymaster.

That's half of why I end up abandoning most games, the other half being "I'm sick of getting spammed with notifications by powerless randos halfway across the map"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

aphid_licker posted:

I would like some kind of hybrid of this kind of model and the current, as it would make playing an odd faith in an unreformable location more viable. Perhaps some incentive to at least make sure most of your holy sites are under control by rulers of your faith, but not necessarily having to be held by you? Granted, part of this is the balancing of Pagans, as making them reform to leave Gavelkind is how their incredible early power is kept in check. But I'd love to say, just do a Norse India run and reform the faith in India without having to set up the empire of Scandanavia.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Palemdromes posted:

This is cool. Do you have a before and after comparison
The link contains the original dynasty arms in order.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My heir, perhaps inevitably, died of cancer but things took an interesting twist. My Satan-worshipping king recruited his half-sister into Lucifer's Own and then put a spawn of Satan in her. The child turned out to be a girl. Then my ruler also died of cancer (picked up from a Satanic ritual gone awry) leaving the previous heir's infant son in a regency. I betrothed him to devil-girl. I'm guessing the incest risk is low as she's only my ruler's grandfather's half-sister (I assume her father is considered to be Beelzebub, Prince of Darkness, rather than my grandfather). Interested to see what happens now. Hopefully she'll be a good wife and provide some nice heirs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also does it feel strange playing as far ahead as the 1700s in CK2 (by changing defines end date), and yet still be in the medieval era?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

My heir, perhaps inevitably, died of cancer but things took an interesting twist. My Satan-worshipping king recruited his half-sister into Lucifer's Own and then put a spawn of Satan in her. The child turned out to be a girl. Then my ruler also died of cancer (picked up from a Satanic ritual gone awry) leaving the previous heir's infant son in a regency. I betrothed him to devil-girl. I'm guessing the incest risk is low as she's only my ruler's grandfather's half-sister (I assume her father is considered to be Beelzebub, Prince of Darkness, rather than my grandfather). Interested to see what happens now. Hopefully she'll be a good wife and provide some nice heirs.

demon child is guaranteed to get all 7 sins if they survive to adulthood so she will be the antithesis of a 'good' wife lol

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

She gonna murder a buncha folks too

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Demonkid gets some powerful bonuses, but also lots of penalties, including some negative congenital traits they can pass on to heirs. You honestly need to go all-in with it to really reap the benefits. Get the demon kid into Lucifer's Own, get them up to High Priest/ess and you essentially have something like 4 intrigue slots between your normal Plots, Dark Touch, Abductions, Possession... there's more than that, but you get the idea.

The downside is that basically everyone gets insanity/possession/mutations. But I think my Demon Queen had something like a 49 personal Intrigue score.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Honky Dong Country posted:

She gonna murder a buncha folks too

My understanding was they'll murder and murder until they're your heir (or will do it anyway even if you're Agnatic), but here she's already married to the ruler and will be producing heirs - maybe that won't stop her and she'll try and murder me and our children. Dunno.

Warmachine posted:

Demonkid gets some powerful bonuses, but also lots of penalties, including some negative congenital traits they can pass on to heirs. You honestly need to go all-in with it to really reap the benefits. Get the demon kid into Lucifer's Own, get them up to High Priest/ess and you essentially have something like 4 intrigue slots between your normal Plots, Dark Touch, Abductions, Possession... there's more than that, but you get the idea.

The downside is that basically everyone gets insanity/possession/mutations. But I think my Demon Queen had something like a 49 personal Intrigue score.

If she had been a boy, I'd have probably let him murder everyone and become the heir. As she was a girl, I suspected she'd murder everyone but not become ruler anyway due to Agnatic inheritance. So I thought, rightly or wrongly, that at least marrying her to my ruler might be a way to take advantage of her good stats.

My Lucifer's Own ruler died so I can't recruit her into it any more. Take your point that there are going to be some negatives from this, but that's fine. I'm just curious to see how it plays out.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's been a while since I've played CK2 and I want to get back in. Just one question- do historical Great Works remain in Shattered Worlds?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Someone mentioned a mod that makes it easier to reform pagan faiths, anyone know what it is?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

It's been a while since I've played CK2 and I want to get back in. Just one question- do historical Great Works remain in Shattered Worlds?

pretty sure they don't

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coolguye posted:

pretty sure they don't

The Theodosian Walls still exist in Constantinople, though.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Olewithmilk posted:

Someone mentioned a mod that makes it easier to reform pagan faiths, anyone know what it is?

HIP allows you to go feudal without reforming if your laws are right. Sorry if that’s not what you wanted.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palemdromes posted:

HIP allows you to go feudal without reforming if your laws are right. Sorry if that’s not what you wanted.

But you need 4 holy sites to reform in HIP, as well.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Meet Karl, the Most Christian Man To Ever Christian.

So saintly he is Honest and Deceiving at the same time.

Benedictine Order is ridiculous.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah a lot of people like to poo poo on the monastic orders but they're pretty great. If I get a young enough ruler I do a run up to Magnum Opus with the hermetics and then switch to a monastic order afterward and get all saintly.

I even did this once with a satanic Doge who rolled evil af until the election was secured through murder and reaped some of the other benefits of devil worship. Then I switched him to theology focus and went Benedictine. He ended up being made a saint lmao.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yeah a lot of people like to poo poo on the monastic orders but they're pretty great. If I get a young enough ruler I do a run up to Magnum Opus with the hermetics and then switch to a monastic order afterward and get all saintly.

I even did this once with a satanic Doge who rolled evil af until the election was secured through murder and reaped some of the other benefits of devil worship. Then I switched him to theology focus and went Benedictine. He ended up being made a saint lmao.

I think the main reason that satanic societies and hermetics get all the attention (and more recently, warrior lodges) is that they're much more active than monastic orders so they feel more engaging. Monastic orders give you all sorts of really nice passive bonuses but you don't really DO a lot in them.