Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Takoluka posted:

https://twitter.com/MKriisan/status/1138794942023815168?s=20

Sorry if I think y'all are being really weird about this.

drat, guess we all gotta go home cause some rando made a tweet you don't like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Guess if a silly tweet agrees with you you must give up the belief.

Can't believe anything as a result.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Blockhouse posted:

"Increase the studio's size" is also not a magic bullet to game dev problems. First, you have to actually have enough qualified people to hire when you're trying to staff up, and then you need competent managers for those teams because nothing will kill a development process faster than poor communication and huge spread-out groups of people who have no idea what anyone else is doing, and then you're stuck with the third resource beyond money and people - time. Games choke to death on these problems all the time - there's an article on Kotaku about Star Wars 1313 slowly dying for five years because of a situation exactly like that.

OP also said "Let Pokemon take a longer development cycle" and also observed that patching is a thing which, contrary to Japan's understanding, does exist.

Sure, it's not purely a case of more money = bigger gaem, but I'm reasonably confident in claiming Nintendo has both the money needed, but also the cachet to attract whoever they want, as well as the general management and organizational experience and talent to keep everything running smoothly. Like, working for Ninty/GF has to be the reason plenty of people got into dev and programming, they can afford to pay them, and they know how to handle big projects. It's too late now of course, but if they'd actually started planning for a larger team properly, there's not really any dev out there who would be better able to run it all smoothly better than Big N.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That is a fair point, it would not magically fix things and indeed it would be a move that would take a lot of time and resources.

It simply feels like GF has chosen very wrong moves with their organization when their flagship titles are publicly for their secondary team, and the move to needing to expand to an HD console was known internally for enough years to carefully prepare for it.

I don't disagree with this position, but I can also see where Game Freak is coming from on this with the idea that a Pokemon game should be about catching new Pokemon first and foremost, which I have to imagine is the line of thinking that lead to this.

I guess the main thing is we really don't know exactly why Sword and Shield's development came to the point where this decision had to be made, but I doubt the decision was made lightly.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They reused those too. I compared Snorlax, Butterfree, Rhydon, and Golurk to the footage from last week's direct. They finally found a place for the unused walking animations.

It's one thing to have the animations, it's another one to implement that poo poo in real-time and write up behaviors for however many Galar Pokmon there are and whatever dumb feature that lets you interact with your Pokemon they might add in this time around - there's always some. What I'm saying is that people are coming with idiotic and simplistic arguments from both sides, and using incomplete information too. :shrug:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dias posted:

It's one thing to have the animations, it's another one to implement that poo poo in real-time and write up behaviors for however many Galar Pokmon there are and whatever dumb feature that lets you interact with your Pokemon they might add in this time around - there's always some. What I'm saying is that people are coming with idiotic and simplistic arguments from both sides, and using incomplete information too. :shrug:

I think everyone could agree that this is something that they could do, but have chosen not to. It is possible from a technical standpoint.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Takoluka posted:

https://twitter.com/MKriisan/status/1138794942023815168?s=20

Sorry if I think y'all are being really weird about this.

Waiting for the wires to get crossed and #StopDexit becomes #StopBrexit and somehow work.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I know this isn't why most people are upset with this change, but I honestly think the subset of players that feel the same way as me is quite large, so let me put my opinion here.

I don't really care about using my favorite Pokemon in every game. Honestly I don't even buy/play the games, and when I've played I never cared about using any particular things. What I care about is that the theoretical Ubers/OU/UU/etc format that results from having the list of Pokemon actually available in Sword/Shield is going to be very different from the theoretical one with all Pokemon. Smogon guaranteed will focus on what's actually possible in game as their primary format, and will likely run theoretical formats with all Pokemon on the side. It will fragment the playerbase. Also, even if people would prefer a format with all Pokemon available, it really doesn't feel right without any actual backing of "this is theoretically possible on a cart."

It's honestly a MASSIVE blow to that aspect of the game and it honestly ruins Pokemon for me. Not that Nintendo cares because I'm not really even a customer, but that's how I feel.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the Treehouse won't be showing any more Pokemon content at E3. The stream ended announcing Day 3 is an indie game day.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Brother Entropy posted:

drat, guess we all gotta go home cause some rando made a tweet you don't like

Actually, if you go Home, you'll be stuck there, because you're not in my Twitterdex.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

All of this is the fault of Pokémon amie.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Beachcomber posted:

I think everyone could agree that this is something that they could do, but have chosen not to. It is possible from a technical standpoint.

"Possible" can mean many things. I agree it's techically possible. I have no idea how the gently caress their engine actually works, or what features we still haven't seen, or what their plans for Home actually are, so I'unno if they could've actually done it in these circumstances.

Japanese developers are notorious for badly explaining their decisions and abiding by very dumb ones because they don't wanna change poo poo tho so you know what, sure, whatever, dump on Game Freak all you want because we're probably not ever gonna get a decent answer other than a face-saving "oh it's ~our vision~"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is happening because it's a pillar of the holiday release schedule (Nintendo has basically nothing of its own in November otherwise), and because there's a whole bunch of other things that coincide with it like the anime, the TCG, tie in manga, so on and so forth. It's absolutely the release schedule and not GF being incompetent or lazy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Crispy_Parsnips/status/1138565687625035776

Whatever happened to pokemon books, anyway?
Haven't heard hide nor hair about 'em

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Beachcomber posted:

From a technical standpoint, of course. But one of the most limiting part of game development is time, especially if you’re dedicated to releasing a game annually.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What dope are people smoking that makes them think making a pokemon game is lazy if they dont have over 500 characters?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf I don't think anyone has said "lazy" because it's 2019 and hopefully we're all cognizant of the constant grinding overworking shithell game developers live in

it's mainly just been "dumb" which is much more fair even if I don't agree

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

What dope are people smoking that makes them think making a pokemon game is lazy if they dont have over 500 characters?

Look at this game demo made in unity/unreal engine with models exported from Pokemon Go

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Junkie Disease posted:

The previous one had 812, some of which they're using the same models and animations for, friend.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nodosaur posted:

This is happening because it's a pillar of the holiday release schedule (Nintendo has basically nothing of its own in November otherwise), and because there's a whole bunch of other things that coincide with it like the anime, the TCG, tie in manga, so on and so forth. It's absolutely the release schedule and not GF being incompetent or lazy.

This is it. A new Pokémon generation is a massive franchise undertaking with tons of moving parts and connected media. It’s hard to delay a mainline Pokémon game not just because it’s Nintendo’s holiday release every year, but also because it’s a humongous coordinating effort. It’s easier to delay, say, Three Houses by a year when it wasn’t a flagship franchise and the only corresponding media releases are an internally developed gatcha and a Japan exclusive, hardcore fan targeting TCG. Pokémon, meanwhile, is a true international multimedia franchise with a ton of moving parts and plans.

So this decision sucks but I’m positive the real reason is that Game Freak, which is still a very small studio considering it pumps out a game a year, didn’t properly upsize its staff and got really delayed. Which wouldn’t be the first time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/LeaksPokemon/status/1138589275900039168?s=20

Apparently this is the same person from the previous leak but I’m skeptical since Gigantomax Tapus seems very unlikely...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

S&S uses the same models from X&Y

All that's changed is the quality of the lighting, textures, and animations getting tweaked

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So why do they have to use every pokemon then?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You guys realize you’re judging animations and models from trailers of a game that is still 5 months away right? Not to mention we’ve seen very little of all the possible animations in game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

S&S uses the same models from X&Y

All that's changed is the quality of the lighting, textures, and animations getting tweaked

That's more time consuming than you might assume, especially in light of the factors discussed above.

There's almost 1000 of these things.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

the only reason they adhere to a strict release schedule is the need to make as a much money as possible to the detriment of the customer's desires. obviously, we must end capitalism to free the pokemon

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

RatHat posted:

Apparently this is the same person from the previous leak but I’m skeptical since Gigantomax Tapus seems very unlikely...

Seems fake. The filename on that image is the the 4chan image number from the original leak, which you get if you’ve saved the image from that thread.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Junkie Disease posted:

So why do they have to use every pokemon then?

Because the game is literally about that and has been for decades and has spent the last 15 years going "And dont worry you can bring your old friends with you too!" Through like 5 handheld generations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

You guys realize you’re judging animations and models from trailers of a game that is still 5 months away right? Not to mention we’ve seen very little of all the possible animations in game.

Yeah, but attack animations has always been the weakest part of Pokemon so I'm not expecting much.

Just bring back the Gunk Shot Trash Can.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

mandatory lesbian posted:

the only reason they adhere to a strict release schedule is the need to make as a much money as possible to the detriment of the customer's desires. obviously, we must end capitalism to free the pokemon

:hai:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

this, but unironically

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

:hmmyes:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

RatHat posted:

They already have their old Z-Move model. I can see them reusing it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Finally something we can all agree on

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I will slaughter robber barons by the dozens to reunite with my fuckin bee.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
can i play sword and shield on the gameboy?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Chill Penguin posted:

Anybody got a good post-game guide/checklist for USUM? It’s been a while and I can’t remember what I’ve done, just that I still need to catch the Tapus.

You asked this twice and no one answered. Don't care how many pages late but I got you, fam. USUM postgame checklist

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I will slaughter robber barons by the dozens to reunite with my fuckin bee.
brb killing jeph bezos so I can party with my rear end in a top hat illusion fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

WooLoo is Antifa.