Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

quote:

The Senate does not have a version of the House bill, but Sen. Jeff Brandes told The News Service of Florida on Tuesday he believes the proposal will be merged with a bill (SB 1618) that would increase the minimum tobacco-smoking age in Florida from 18 to 21. The legislation is a priority of Sen. David Simmons, an Altamonte Springs Republican who is a top lieutenant of President Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton.

“You can see what’s playing out here. There are negotiations going on behind the scenes to blend all these things together. If that happens, there’s a good chance this could all come to pass."

They’re also bundling the cap with free cards for vets.

They’re such pernicious little scumbags.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
And apparently it was just approved by the Florida House Health committee.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol..._medium=twitter

quote:

Despite criticism that the bill is trying to curb the Legislature’s recent repeal of a ban on smoking medical marijuana, committee chair Rep. Ray Rodrigues said the bill is necessary because of the research around harmful effects of high-THC marijuana.

“It is not an effort to restrict smoking,” the Estero Republican said. “Roughly half the states that have a program have a THC cap.”

The right to smoke medical marijuana was backed by the Florida Legislature and quietly signed into law by Gov. Ron DeSantis last month The bill also establishes a research consortium, allows products like bongs and rolling papers to be purchased and requires a second opinion from a board-certified pediatrician for non-terminal patients under age 18.

Rep. Cindi Stevenson, who brought up the research around psychosis, said if they don’t pass the bill, they are essentially “putting a stamp of approval on something that can cause violence.”

“Psychosis can be quite devastating,” the St. Johns Republican said. “If someone is not being treated, there is an increased chance of violent acts and that is amplified if you take an illicit drug.”

Arggghhhh.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: this from the same pieces of poo poo that forced us to use high thc concentrates for years.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
What are the chances it'll survive the Florida Senate or be vetoed by... ugh... Ron DeSantis? Any hope at all? I'm particularly bummed because I JUST got my card. It's weird that they're not going after the super high THC concentrates.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Abugadu posted:

We'll be one of the only tourist spots in the entire eastern hemisphere with legal weed. Local use will likely go unchanged, but tourism could spike if we implement this correctly.

Governor still has to sign it, but she campaigned on a pro-weed platform. Only downside is that growing is mandated to be done under lock and key. With the amount of open agricultural spaces we have, and the amount of sun we get, we could have been sprinting out ahead of everyone. Winery tours, but for weed. Might happen in another 10 years, but our head start will be quite diminished by then.

Yeah now you are competing with CNMI. I’m curious how the Japanese tourists will react and if they will have much interest.

If polls are to be believed it’s likely New Zealand will legalize when they have their referendum in 2020. I’m surprised Hawaii has remained so opposed to legalization but normalizing it across the Pacific will I hope exert cultural influence on them to reform.

I remember CNMI was going to have like weed bars where tourists could smoke legally, is Guam going to do that too?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

turnip kid posted:

What are the chances it'll survive the Florida Senate or be vetoed by... ugh... Ron DeSantis? Any hope at all? I'm particularly bummed because I JUST got my card. It's weird that they're not going after the super high THC concentrates.

The senate is the one that fixed the smoking bill from the house’s bullshit that would have required multiple doctor visits with only pre-rolled purchases available.

If the senate does not fix it, I’m sure that another lawsuit will shortly follow. There’s also a good chance DeSantis will veto as he’s explicitly came out against excessive smoking restrictions as “it’s the will of the people.”

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Squalid posted:

Yeah now you are competing with CNMI. I’m curious how the Japanese tourists will react and if they will have much interest.

If polls are to be believed it’s likely New Zealand will legalize when they have their referendum in 2020. I’m surprised Hawaii has remained so opposed to legalization but normalizing it across the Pacific will I hope exert cultural influence on them to reform.

I remember CNMI was going to have like weed bars where tourists could smoke legally, is Guam going to do that too?

I’m hoping weed bars will eventually be a thing, but for now no.

https://www.guampdn.com/story/news/local/2019/04/03/guam-governor-press-conference-recreational-marijuana-bill/3359591002/

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Welp... Thanks, Republicans.

https://twitter.com/JimRosicaFL/status/1115654880570613761

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Thanks. I’ll continue to stay away from Florida.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This is just the bill that puts a weird artificial 10% cap on THC content in dry herb right? But they're still selling the concentrates that are 90% THC?

God my state is such trash.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WampaLord posted:

This is just the bill that puts a weird artificial 10% cap on THC content in dry herb right? But they're still selling the concentrates that are 90% THC?

God my state is such trash.

Correct. If the senate passes it and Desantis signs it into law, it will immediately be part of a lawsuit filed by patients and dispensaries, so this should be fun.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Some possible good news?

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-thc-medical-marijuana-limit-20190409-story.html

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 10, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Senate continues to fulfill its intended purpose of making sure nothing is ever passed! :toot:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Heard on the radio this morning Connecticut has a legalization bill that has passed the judiciary committee and it's on it's way to the finance committee to figure out a tax schedule. If it goes through that then it will go up for vote in the legislature. Apparently it's mostly a party line split with some Dems against it so I'm not holding my breath

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I left messages for my local reps about Vermont S.54, the tax & sell bill; one of them called me back and we had a fifteen minute conversation. I have my own concerns that it pushes small producers who want to sell a little on the side out of the market; my rep had his own concerns that it was just going to be a cash grab for law enforcement and the revenue would dry up in a year or two as prices fall.

It passed the senate with a veto-proof majority, though; we'll see. I'd prefer the status quo to a bad tax & sell bill.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Something to point out: many people believe that you cannot get a concealed carry permit while also having an active medical marijuana card.

This is false. Florida’s secretary of agriculture, the department that handles CCWs and parts of MMJ has came out numerous times to put the record straight. Florida MMJ cardholders can also get a CCW under state law.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mr. Nice! posted:

Something to point out: many people believe that you cannot get a concealed carry permit while also having an active medical marijuana card.

This is false. Florida’s secretary of agriculture, the department that handles CCWs and parts of MMJ has came out numerous times to put the record straight. Florida MMJ cardholders can also get a CCW under state law.

In some states you can't though. Or at least, you couldn't in Oregon last I checked. That may have cleaned some recreational legalization.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Illinois statehouse has released their proposal for legalization:

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-05-06/illinois-could-become-11th-state-to-legalize-marijuana-under-new-measure

quote:

ILLINOIS GOV. J.B. Pritzker and several state lawmakers have proposed a long-awaited bill that would legalize and regulate the use and sale of recreational marijuana in the state next year.

Under the measure, which was announced by Pritzker on Saturday and was expected to be introduced Monday, adults 21 and over could legally purchase marijuana for recreational use from licensed retailers. Adults could also cultivate up to five marijuana plants at home.

The bill would also expunge the records of people with minor cannabis convictions and direct funding to communities most affected by the prohibition of the drug.

It is expected to pass the Illinois General Assembly's House and Senate, both of which are controlled by Democrats. If approved, the state would become the 11th in the U.S. to legalize cannabis for recreational use. The measure would take effect on Jan. 1, 2020, but the state would not begin licensing retailers until that spring.

Illinois goons, what's your sense on how likely this is to pass? Legal cannabis in Illinois would be quite the coup. Really gonna make New Jersey look silly if Illinois beats them to the recreational market.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Oh holy poo poo, recreation legalization just passed the Illinois Senate and House, and the governor is saying he'll sign it!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/31/legal-marijuana-illinois-could-become-11-th-state-legalize-weed/1305090001/

quote:

Illinois is poised to legalize marijuana sales with sweeping legislation that would also automatically expunge the criminal records of people convicted of minor pot possession.

State lawmakers gave final approval to the bill Friday and Gov. JB Pritzker said he will sign the measure, which make Illinois the first state to legalize marijuana sales via its legislature. Most other states that have legalized cannabis did so via a ballot initiative process. Vermont's legislature legalized cannabis, but prohibited commercial sales.

"This will have a transformational impact on our state, creating opportunity in the communities that need it most and giving so many a second chance," Pritzker said in a statement. "In the interest of equity and criminal justice reform, I look forward to signing this monumental legislation."

This is a big surprise for me. Until this week the noise was the bill was doomed to fail, with bitter fighting over criminal record expungement and other details. This is a huge coup for legalization, and will make Illinois the first state to legalize true recreational markets via the legislature.

Feels really good to see this passed after big disappointments in New Jersey, Connecticut and New York. As a large populous state neighboring many places that still have very restrictive cannabis laws, I hope this is going to add pressure for liberalization in places like Iowa and Kentucky.

More from the article:

quote:

Money raised by the new taxes would first be dedicated to expunging an estimated 770,000 minor cannabis-related cases, according to the bill's language. Expungement has long been a goal of marijuana-legalization advocates, who argued the federal government's so-called War on Drugs disproportionately targeted minorities. Other states have similar provisions, usually added after the fact, but Illinois' law is the first to contain such a sweeping expungement provision from the start.
. . .
Anti-legalization groups had fought the Illinois proposal, and promised they weren't done opposing it. "Tough to win in a state where the Gov shares the same last name as MPP’s chair," tweeted Kevin Sabet of the group Smart Approaches to Marijuana. "But there’s more to come. We’re not going to let the Land of Lincoln go to pot just yet."

lol u mad Sabet :smugdog::pipe:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Not legalisation per se, but I think this https://www.ktnv.com/news/nevada-becomes-first-state-to-ban-pre-employment-marijuana-tests

"AB 132, signed by Governor Steve Sisolak, makes it unlawful for any Nevada employer to fail or refuse to hire someone if they test positive for marijuana."

I think demonstrates the growing mellowing out of attitudes towards the devils lettuce.

Attack!
Jul 16, 2013
Hey, sorry if this is the wrong thread, I looked and it seems like this is the best one for it. If it's not, I'd appreciate a redirect. Longtime lurker here, started using medical cannabis at around 20 (I'm 28 now) and it quickly became recreational as well. I'm short statured and have some hip issues as well as issues with anxiety/ptsd from an at times extremely intense medical history, but thankfully I'm generally healthy. I stopped my heavy smoking around a year ago (smoked about 3 joints a day at my most consumptive, for a period of about a year, with general use being about 1-2 joints a day otherwise. For the past year or so I've primarily been vaping and using ingested forms, but lately vaping has been giving me dizziness/anxiety that's really reminiscent of an anti seizure med overdose I received last year (was precautionary, not on any of those types of drugs anymore), and ingesting it has proven to be really hard to gauge because of my small body size and general sensitivity. The last few times I've smoked has been a very pleasant experience, a sort of return to form feeling but it's been tainted with my fears of harming my lungs or setting myself up for future cancer/lung issues from the simple fact I'm inhaling combusted material directly into my lungs, which is the reason I tried to stop smoking in the first place. My question is, has there been any really sound evidence for or against cannabis causing cancer or other dysfunction? I've googled this and while the ncbi has a 10 year old study linking it to an increased cancer risk, other recent studies have stated no correlation or even a protective effect, while cellular damage was still caused. I figured this was the thread to ask, does anybody have some up to date or otherwise salient info to share on this subject? Would I be loving myself over to smoke moderately, say a joint a day? It could help with my anxiety and joints, but I and other people have worked so hard to achieve a chance at a healthy and productive life that it really pains me to think of injuring myself, even if it's bit by bit. i would really appreciate any light anybody could shed on this and just let me know if this is there's a more appropriate thread or place to post this.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Attack!, you'll probably get a better response in the Goon Doctor, or even maybe TCC, although you'll have to be able to filter fact from cheerleading in TCC. Really if you want medical advice you should ask a real doctor.

Nevertheless, to give a wildly unqualified opinion based on the distant memory of a bunch of articles I read five years ago, there's not much cancer risk from smoking cannabis. Nor is there much risk of emphysema. This is surprising, because while THC is not a carcinogen, particulate carbon definitely is and you're inhaling both. It also surprising nobody ever found an association given how badly so many researchers wanted to find an actual justification for prohibition.

However there may still be a price to pay for toking up. Heavy use has been associated with a faster than normal decrease in IQ with aging. So for every decade you smoke three joints a day, you might expect to lose 1 extra IQ point by the age of fifty. I made those numbers up but you get the idea. IQ decline is normal with aging, so its not the worst thing in the world to lose.

The second price exacted on users by the devil herb is that cannabis smoking has been related to gum recession. I'm no mouth doctor but I'm pretty sure that's bad and increases the risk of tooth loss and other mouth problems.

I cannot remember any other dangers, however I am going off very distant memories and its possible everything I remember just came from a few studies that could not be replicated, and that new research has changed the picture.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To the research!

https://youtu.be/BdRgA7K4DcE

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i'd still lean towards edibles as a means of imbibing marijuana because they DEFINITELY don't have a lung cancer risk

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'd still lean towards edibles as a means of imbibing marijuana because they DEFINITELY don't have a lung cancer risk

This is definitely true, plus they're technically a more effective uptake method, you can get way more of the THC out of the weed you put into it. I think the most effective is sublingual tincture?

vv. don't get me wrong, I posted that between bong hits vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 20, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Sure, but edibles are 1) slow and 2) smoking weed is nice, and smells nice.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I personally can't stand the smell and taste of weed, so tasteless edibles are my go to and they fuckin owwwwwwwn. Except the one time I got WAY too high and could literally do nothing but stare at the tv and drool for like three hours.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

DrNutt posted:

I personally can't stand the smell and taste of weed, so tasteless edibles are my go to and they fuckin owwwwwwwn. Except the one time I got WAY too high and could literally do nothing but stare at the tv and drool for like three hours.

Been there, once had half a chocolate chip cookie put me on my rear end for an entire day.

Back on topic, despite legalization failing to advance beyond committee in the NY legislature, a bill further decriminalizing marijuana has passed both chambers and gone to the Governor for signature.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2019/s6579?fbclid=IwAR204brs3DwlMKkNolNAdLwDXIny-IIknLng-nSId5j7mJRMrwiV3KuK63g

For simple possession, it seems to remove an escalating penalty scale that had jail time associated with 3 time offenses, cuts the fines down to a 50 dollar maximum for possession of up to an ounce. There's also expungement for low level offenses, but I'm not clear on how that all works.

I would've preferred full legalization, but I'll take a step forward.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

How are u posted:

Sure, but edibles are 1) slow and 2) smoking weed is nice, and smells nice.

Clearly the solution is to inhale through your nose.

No legalization in Ohio this year, but the medical stuff is about that same price as gray market stuff and definitely higher quality so hopefully soon.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

Clearly the solution is to inhale through your nose.

No legalization in Ohio this year, but the medical stuff is about that same price as gray market stuff and definitely higher quality so hopefully soon.

i read an article the other day saying the organization that ran the campaign for the ballot initiative has folded and will no longer exist. Unless people get organized cannabis won't only not be on the ballot this year, it won't be on the ballot next year either.

Really Ohio should have just bit the bullet and gone with lovely corporate legalization in 2016. It wasn't great but it was better than the status quo you got stuck with instead

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/06/19/marijuana-legalization-no-measure-2019-ballot-ohio/1487294001/

quote:

Ohio Families for Change, the group backing the Marijuana Rights and Regulations amendment, deactivated its Facebook page and website long ago. It closed out its campaign finance account with the state on April 18.

“Ohio Families for Change, which is a former client of mine, has no plans on advancing their ballot language in either 2019 or 2020,” former campaign spokesman Jonathan Varner told The Enquirer.

Varner said he stopped working for the campaign in November 2018.

Varner said the proposed measure was well-drafted and proposed ample regulations and consumer protections and didn’t lock in profits for specific people. A failed 2015 Ohio marijuana legalization measure was funded by 10 investor groups that owned the only 10 sites were commercial marijuana could be grown.
. . .
Ohio Families for Change raised only $5,627 since March 2018, according to state campaign finance reports, and reported $67,722 in in-kind contributions from volunteers. Responsible Ohio, the group behind the only marijuana measure to qualify for the Ohio ballot, spent $21.8 million during its unsuccessful 2015 campaign.

At this point I'd bet North Dakota gets legal weed before Ohio. The state just doesn't have the interest or organization to push anything through.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Maybe a push to include more mental health stuff would be easier. :shrug:

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
How does it all work in states that are legalized but the employer still tests employees?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Banana Man posted:

How does it all work in states that are legalized but the employer still tests employees?

Your employer can test you for alcohol and tobacco and fire you for taking those, too. I think there are some states that explicitly prohibited employers from firing people for pot use, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Banana Man posted:

They can test and deny employment but most drug tests are super easy to cheat on if they don’t stare at your genitals and urine stream which most employers don’t pay for or request that test. You can buy synthetic urine at truck stops and head shops for the basic test. I had to pass a test for a lovely call center job when I got to Oregon.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Mark Kleiman is dead.

quote:

RBC and Kleiman’s clique are a bunch of prohibitionists whose only distinction is that they’re slightly smarter than Michele Leonhart in that they can read a poll, so they’re furiously digging a second trench of the Drug War slightly behind the current one, where they might agree with some abstract idea of ending prohibition on cannabis but will find endless disagreements with any actual framework that attempts to implement it, whether it’s their fear of a price floor, their SAHMSA addiction figures inflated by treatment-or-jail sentencing, the ludicrous scare stories about Big Marijuana, or proposing ignorant regulations like banning sweeteners from cannabis edibles (gotta make them completely disgusting, For The Children). If it’s not some idiosyncratic Cass Sunstein fantasy like a state monopoly monitoring people’s weekly intake to make sure they’re not stoners then they won’t have it. And don’t even talk to them about any of the harder stuff, what are you some Kochhead libertarian?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida smokeable cannabis prices have finally dipped below black market prices with noticeable higher quality. None of the street stuff ever seemed to really be about 15% when comparing it to stuff from the dispensary. I never get lower than 18% from the shops now. I do get a bit of a discount everywhere (10-25%) for being a veteran, but I can get 1/8ths for $21 of some 20% green. We're still pricier than recreational states, for sure, but green here is now arguably the cheapest and highest quality available in the south.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida smokeable cannabis prices have finally dipped below black market prices with noticeable higher quality. None of the street stuff ever seemed to really be about 15% when comparing it to stuff from the dispensary. I never get lower than 18% from the shops now. I do get a bit of a discount everywhere (10-25%) for being a veteran, but I can get 1/8ths for $21 of some 20% green. We're still pricier than recreational states, for sure, but green here is now arguably the cheapest and highest quality available in the south.

No, that's not bad at all, I don't get good rec eighths for that without a coupon. I'm curious though, were actually able to test your black market weed?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Inspector Hound posted:

No, that's not bad at all, I don't get good rec eighths for that without a coupon. I'm curious though, were actually able to test your black market weed?

Nah I never went to those lengths to test it. But there were a variety of sources ranging from local grown to imported, and regardless of what anyone said anything was, comparatively the street level stuff came out around the same as ~15% stuff I get from the dispensary on the high end. Actual black market stuff in the 20% range was rare regardless of source.

The dispensary stuff, by and large, is really good weed. Almost all of the conglomerates down here are existing companies selling good stuff. By law every batch has to be tested and labeled. I don't really know how well that is inspected and enforced, but the system is very regulation heavy with quite a bit of oversight.

One of the biggest changes in the past year has been an almost evaporation of black market smokeable cannabis. A lot of dealers are out of the game except for vapes because importing those still has arbitrage value over the high priced dispensary vapes. Those prices are coming down, too, with competition. Some stores are selling flavored vapes now, as well.

John Morgan is now pushing for recreational. He's trying to spearhead an amendment for 2020. The fact that youth smoking rates have decreased is holding sway with some of the diehards that fought against medical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It will never stop blowing my mind that John Morgan of Morgan and Morgan of Morgan and Morgan and Morgan is now weed blood brother no 1 of Florida