Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

They show Food Network in the cafeteria at work. Pioneer Woman is on and it’s a... funeral episode? It cuts from the husband building a graveyard for his mother to Pioneer Woman cheerfully cooking a cobbler.

I feel like I’m in some kind of Creepy Pasta nightmare.

I really want to hate on this woman for pretending to not just be rich as gently caress, but she also produces basset hound swag sooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I'm loving Flo Lum on YouTube. Her channel is Instant Pot focused, and she herself is this wonderfully relaxed Asian lady who's clearly having fun making these videos with her husband. Her motto is "be simple, ordinary, and joyful", and it really informs everything on her channel (even the non-food content, which is very Christian).

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

GigaPeon posted:

They show Food Network in the cafeteria at work. Pioneer Woman is on and it’s a... funeral episode? It cuts from the husband building a graveyard for his mother to Pioneer Woman cheerfully cooking a cobbler.

I feel like I’m in some kind of Creepy Pasta nightmare.

Googling "Pioneer Woman Funeral Cobbler" isn't as joyous as I thought it would be.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I'm loving Flo Lum on YouTube. Her channel is Instant Pot focused, and she herself is this wonderfully relaxed Asian lady who's clearly having fun making these videos with her husband. Her motto is "be simple, ordinary, and joyful", and it really informs everything on her channel (even the non-food content, which is very Christian).

Oh I used her recipe for instant pot ribs the other day, with some slight modifications (I used a dry rub), and they turned out great.

https://youtu.be/ITx1dIIMMxI

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Anyone been watching The Chef Show on Netflix with Jon Favreau and Roy Choi? Definitely my favorite food show on at the moment. Love the way this show is put together.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This is the Bon Apetit staff sitting around and talking about pizza for an hour. Wish my job was like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a7Q7vvuA9I

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Seems kind of unfair that Carla and Molly got to go to loving Italy to find the perfect cheese for their pizza while the other teams got to go to, like, Brooklyn

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

angor posted:

Anyone been watching The Chef Show on Netflix with Jon Favreau and Roy Choi? Definitely my favorite food show on at the moment. Love the way this show is put together.

Watched the first two episodes, I enjoyed it so far.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liLnvMtISFE

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mu Zeta posted:

This is the Bon Apetit staff sitting around and talking about pizza for an hour. Wish my job was like this.

Seems like BA videos are getting longer, well YT videos in general seem to be getting long, does this appeal to most people? I've been skipping most BA videos because of length. I watched the sauce and cheese videos and lost interest in their pizza series. For me it's like bowling, fun to do in real life with friends but boring to watch. Like Claire recreate Doritos was mildly interesting but in the end she made Doritos which are literally in every store in America. Guess I'm not the target audience. It's just that I'm interested enough to watch 8-10 minute videos but not enough to watch 30-60 minute videos.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I like both the long and short videos, they and Jon Bois content are the perfect ASMR for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

angor posted:

Watched two eps now, and it’s really nice chill TV. Good show.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

One of these days I’m going to make the mojo pork in that cubano from the first episode. I bet it’d be awesome crisped up in a taco.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

wormil posted:

Seems like BA videos are getting longer, well YT videos in general seem to be getting long, does this appeal to most people? I've been skipping most BA videos because of length. I watched the sauce and cheese videos and lost interest in their pizza series. For me it's like bowling, fun to do in real life with friends but boring to watch. Like Claire recreate Doritos was mildly interesting but in the end she made Doritos which are literally in every store in America. Guess I'm not the target audience. It's just that I'm interested enough to watch 8-10 minute videos but not enough to watch 30-60 minute videos.

I treat the long videos like a podcast. Just put it on the background. They don't expect anyone to make those doritos recipes, it's just for entertainment.

I do watch all the videos from the Carla lady and there's another one doing Indian style recipes that are pretty easy to make.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Mu Zeta posted:

I treat the long videos like a podcast. Just put it on the background. They don't expect anyone to make those doritos recipes, it's just for entertainment.

I do watch all the videos from the Carla lady and there's another one doing Indian style recipes that are pretty easy to make.

Priya! I love her (not as much as Claire, but I digress).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm actually loving the longer BA videos and since pizza's like my favorite food on the planet, I was enamored with every episode of that series.

I personally find Priya rather boring, and the whole "calls her parents in like every video" shtick is kind of annoying.

Bon Appetit tier list:

1) Chris Morocco (he can be a little dry but I think he's got the most thoughtful and sound approach toward food and cooking)
2) Brad
2a) Claire
4) Gaby
5) Amiel (he's fuckin hilarious)
6) Carla
7) Andy
8) Molly
9) Priya

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The Midniter posted:

I'm actually loving the longer BA videos and since pizza's like my favorite food on the planet, I was enamored with every episode of that series.

I personally find Priya rather boring, and the whole "calls her parents in like every video" shtick is kind of annoying.

Bon Appetit tier list:

1) Chris Morocco (he can be a little dry but I think he's got the most thoughtful and sound approach toward food and cooking)
2) Brad
2a) Claire
4) Gaby
6) Carla
7) Andy
8) Molly
9) Priya

The only changes I'd make to this is swapping Brad/Chris and Andy/Molly.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I loved the recent thing where Chris had to identify the different components of the beef wellington blindfolded and then recreated it almost perfectly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chris seems to be the most methodical recipe guy and Brad is a human golden retriever but I don't think the recipes they present look all that appetizing. Meanwhile I feel I could smash 5 bowls of anything Priya or Carla makes.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I caught a few episodes of Parts Unknown over the years but never watched a full season. I'm starting to watch it all on netflix now and man is it some great and powerful stuff.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

GigaPeon posted:

I loved the recent thing where Chris had to identify the different components of the beef wellington blindfolded and then recreated it almost perfectly.

That was really good! Delayney's recent video with Brad where they try everything at a restaurant was pretty good, too.

e: and in Claire's last video, Claire, who went to Harvard, has to have "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" explained to her by Brad.

Grem fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 15, 2019

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Grem posted:

That was really good! Delayney's recent video with Brad where they try everything at a restaurant was pretty good, too.

e: and in Claire's last video, Claire, who went to Harvard, has to have "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" explained to her by Brad.

Claire saying that there's no 'right or left on a circle' was one of the most powerful statements I've ever heard in my life.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

angor posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I love having this on while I'm meal prepping for the week.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Cafe du Monde beignets are one of my favourite things, so I’m glad they went back for a second go with those.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Jo Joestar posted:

Simon Hopkinson's shows
Are going to feed me for a month, while I move back home during renovations at my place. Thanks for this!

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

angor posted:

This show is bloody great. Just appeared up top of my recommended's and started playing, before I knew it I was hooked. Choi is so funny and off-hand about his decisions, just like I try things out at home. 'Man, I don't know why, just eyeballed it."

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Watching people eat expensive food makes me really angry for some reason.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

Watching people eat expensive food makes me really angry for some reason.

Sucks to be you, I guess.

Edit: And yeah, Jon is always asking about recipes and ingredients and Roy is just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

The Midniter posted:

Bon Appetit tier list:

2) Brad
2a) Claire
4) Gaby
6) Carla
7) Andy
8) Molly
9) Priya

I don't see Rick on this list :colbert:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I've been plowing through The Final Table on Netflix recently. It's very much reality TV insofar as you can absolutely tell a lot of the banter between duos is scripted or faked, but the chefs themselves are awesome and insanely talented (one of the teams is just straight up Mark Best and Shane Osborn) and it's overall incredibly wholesome and enjoyable.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

I don't see Rick on this list :colbert:

He's fine, but doesn't reach the minimum plate appearances threshold to be on the list.

I know Gaby only has few solo videos as well, but she's been in a ton of them in the background and is a well-known BA personality.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Ok Claire making Starbursts made me feel legitimately bad for her. I wouldn't be surprised if she quits again soon, she sounded absolutely miserable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She's not a BA employee and just does contract stuff.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

She's not a BA employee and just does contract stuff.

???

https://www.bonappetit.com/people/our-team/article/weekly-staffer-claire-saffitz/

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

She left for a while but came back

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What happened to Vinnie the cameraman or whatever his real name was, dude was killing it.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

He went to go work with Babish, actually.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Grem posted:

Ok Claire making Starbursts made me feel legitimately bad for her. I wouldn't be surprised if she quits again soon, she sounded absolutely miserable.

Honestly I'm getting tired of the gourmet makes, because they basically devolve into her getting frustrated and going "gently caress it, this is what you get" without coming to a fully realized product at the end. Why bother with the series if you're not gonna go full boat?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Honestly I'm getting tired of the gourmet makes, because they basically devolve into her getting frustrated and going "gently caress it, this is what you get" without coming to a fully realized product at the end. Why bother with the series if you're not gonna go full boat?

Especially the whole, "well Chefsteps outlined the whole process, but that feels like cheating."

"WHY WONT THIS WORK. GOD IT SUCKS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I feel like it might be a good idea for them to switch to famous cookies or something for a while. Like Milanos or Oreos or Nilla Wafers, that seems way easier than industrial candies