Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

possible and will absolutely be the case in China, where there is no bill of rights.

america still has a bill rights. shot to poo poo as it is, we still have it.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
going to bat for the constitution in tyool 2019

lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the Conshitution was written by syphilitic slaveowners whos main motivation for writing it was to dodge taxes

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

please don't post utopian pics in the dystopian thread

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

the bill of rights nowadays is null and void unless you have enough money and time to contest violations after the fact all the way up to the supreme court

when's the last time the 4th amendment stopped a cop from doing whatever he wanted to you?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

possible and will absolutely be the case in China, where there is no bill of rights.

All nationalities in the People's Republic of China are equal. The state protects the lawful rights and interests of the minority nationalities and upholds and develops a relationship of equality, unity and mutual assistance among all of China's nationalities. Discrimination against and oppression of any nationality are prohibited; any act which undermines the unity of the nationalities or instigates division is prohibited.

yeah doesnt really make a difference

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Marx Headroom posted:

spectacular quote regarding
this is America

yes more deaths

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the roberts court has annulled the 1st, 4th, and 7th amendments

the 5th, 6th and 8th were revoked by the patriot act

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the 9th was apparently the justification of the constitutional basis for every abortion decision so that ones also going to be annulled by the roberts court any day now

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Depends on which kind of person are you. If you’re a corporate person, you’ve still got the 1st nice and strong.

The “unions violate my corporation’s closely held religious beliefs” case is working its way up the courts as we speak.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ryanaboyd/status/1138879040901697536?s=21

they’re going to keep doing this as long as they can get away with it

there’s no downside, and if some idiot bites, hey free TAs are now a thing!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/EnriqueDiazAlva/status/1138912835998818304

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0vPzkkZag

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

oh gently caress everything about this

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanaboyd/status/1138879040901697536?s=21

they’re going to keep doing this as long as they can get away with it

there’s no downside, and if some idiot bites, hey free TAs are now a thing!

These aren't TAs those are for professors, not assistants.

https://twitter.com/Organometallica/status/1125710717364199424

https://twitter.com/UDHCMH/status/1107991879835111424

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

lol, terrific joke

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

several states already have anti-mask laws, some of which have survived court challenges

the same logic could easily be extended to banning "digital masks" as well

it's never made it to the US Supreme Court, but I wouldn't hold my breath for civil liberties from them right now

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

While this is correct, one shouldn't downplay the fact that TAs are horrifically underpaid and should be treated better. They can even be expected to literally teach classes when the actual professor can't be arsed to bother.

Source: My wife was a TA while getting her Master's degree, and being forced to teach classes when he wanted free days off was the smallest employment violation on the professor's part.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shear Modulus posted:

he also took out the 15th when he gutted the VRA

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
*two cops are beating up an unarmed poc, just for fun, as they do*

cop 1: hey, cop 2, is this cool? what about the constitution and bill of rights?

cop 2: drat, that's a really good point cop 1. let's go on paid leave and think about what we've donbe

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shear Modulus posted:

the 9th was apparently the justification of the constitutional basis for every abortion decision so that ones also going to be annulled by the roberts court any day now

The 2nd is whites only

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Big Mad Drongo posted:

While this is correct, one shouldn't downplay the fact that TAs are horrifically underpaid and should be treated better. They can even be expected to literally teach classes when the actual professor can't be arsed to bother.

Source: My wife was a TA while getting her Master's degree, and being forced to teach classes when he wanted free days off was the smallest employment violation on the professor's part.

Yeah my point was more that TAs are already un/under-payed and this is a new creeping of the hellhole that is labor violations in academia.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he also took out the 15th when he gutted the VRA

yeah but i was restricting myself to the bill of rights

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah my point was more that TAs are already un/under-payed and this is a new creeping of the hellhole that is labor violations in academia.

Fair enough, no one does well in academia other than the most senior tenured professors, who essentially form a mini capitalist class.

Worth noting that the greatest labor violation against my wife was secretly stealing the grant money she earned and paying her through a shady chain of slush funds that started with the Mubarak administration in Egypt. Only found this out because her professor tried to stop paying her after the 2011 revolution and he was forced to admit where the money was coming from. She... didn't stick around long after that.

Academia is a loving nightmare, yo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The important thing here is that the third amendment, that cornerstone of a healthy democracy, is alive and well.
I, for one, have never had an Army regiment show up and demand to be put up for the night in my guest room. Let freedom ring! :patriot:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Powered Descent posted:

The important thing here is that the third amendment, that cornerstone of a healthy democracy, is alive and well.
I, for one, have never had an Army regiment show up and demand to be put up for the night in my guest room. Let freedom ring! :patriot:

i can't believe that you wouldn't suck a hero troop's dick

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is it gay if its a troop

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
excuse me, "host" for a troop

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
drakeno: troops sleeping on your couch
drakeyes: troops cumming in your rear end

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Trabisnikof posted:

The “unions violate my corporation’s closely held religious beliefs” case is working its way up the courts as we speak.

The corporation can't even show up to church on Christmas and/or Easter, but they still want to claim they're religious? :rolleye:

I'd love to see their CEO read Matthew 19:24 aloud, in front of their workers, without a shred of irony and keeping a straight face.
Bonus points if they didn't know what the verse was about beforehand and go into it cold.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

when I was a history TA i was the only one helping with 130 students, on average, had to grade and organize everything, write the tests and quizzes, and wasn't given access to insurance or any other benefits. i got paid ten thousand dollars a year. lmfao

my dream is to do my PHD but looking at articles like this only reinforces my conviction that entering academia would be madness in what I will optimistically refer to as the pre-revolutionary United States

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Frog Act posted:

when I was a history TA i was the only one helping with 130 students, on average, had to grade and organize everything, write the tests and quizzes, and wasn't given access to insurance or any other benefits. i got paid ten thousand dollars a year. lmfao

my dream is to do my PHD but looking at articles like this only reinforces my conviction that entering academia would be madness in what I will optimistically refer to as the pre-revolutionary United States

pretty much all major college admins and trustee boards need to be executed

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Agean90 posted:

ironically i just started my first real post-college job as part of the bloated collegiate administrative staff. it's staggering how many loving people are here performing various intercessory and secondary roles. there are even representatives here, full time, from the private company that contracts us some of our software.

i've been in this same university in some capacity or another - working at the library shelving books as a high schooler, an undergrad student, a grad student, and now as a white collar drone - and its incredible how things have shifted over the last decade. it just keeps growing like some huge useless cancerous mass because all the growth is garbage. like, they spent millions on an art museum that won't be used for student art, more millions on a special basketball training center, big pay raises for administration while tripling down on loving over non-full professor staff.

also they want me to pay $85 a month just to have access to a non-guaranteed parking spot. it's more expensive for employees than students and more expensive for adjuncts than employees. really high level employees get special spots and pay basically nothing.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

college admin is like this wierd opposite land of other state beuruacracy where I'm stuck in an underfunded section that gets accused of being bloated all the time, meanwhile the state University drops six figures so am ad agency can give them a slogan another university already uses and everyone's just like whatever

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agean90 posted:

I think there's a good reason why the schools have been fighting attempts by students to unionize, whether it's college athletes trying to start a players union or grad students trying to improve their condition. Admins and trustee boards really profit off the free labor provided by students, "It's part of the experience!"

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

academia is basically a form of feudalism

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Rated PG-34 posted:

academia is basically a form of feudalism

Minus the job security

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It's like an old time guild system but the apprentices (grad students) don't get paid poo poo because your expected to have a rich family

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

one of the writers i spent the most time studying in grad school left academia in the early 70s after finishing his doctorate and getting absolutely hosed over as an adjunct professor. as he developed his own pretty distinctive Marxist-adjacent anti-Liberal philosophy of revolution, his contempt for the professoriate that he felt personally helped inspire what i think was a pretty realistic evaluation of the academic class. he had a sort of secondary class categorization very similar to the notion of the professional-managerial class but he also specifically felt that professors and administrators in western universities were extremely dangerous because they constituted an outlet for false consciousness disguised as revolutionary thought. basically, in his conception, the various people involved in academia are prosperous and culturally normative enough to generally regard the existing socioeconomic status quo as merely in need of some tweaking, by and large, because it benefits them. simultaneously, though, they're also the group responsible for promulgating and refining specific ideas re: the nature of this kind of tweaking and reform - so they evangelize fundamentally Liberal ideas under the guise of being authentically interested in large-scale social change.

dude's writing just burned with contempt for professors who he felt were too small-minded and myopic to imagine a genuinely improved world. he also had a major beef with positivism and the enlightenment and kind of blamed the whole structure on the ideas that emerged in the late eighteenth century

i'm partially inclined to agree with him, i've never met a college professor with actual communist beliefs, just a bunch of tepid social democrats and left-liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

The 3rd amendment has basically never been enforced, and there have been some pretty direct violations that imply it never will.

I think the current interpretation on the 6th and 8th amendments is that it doesn't count if it's not on American soil, hence Guantanamo.

Of course, this isn't fast enough for some people, so there's also pretty big movements to establish an underclass of unpersons who de facto legally have no access to any human rights protections. That's the non-genocide reason for draconian enforcement against illegal immigrants.

Despite all this, it's still far better than China's deal of no rights, unfettered oppression, zero accountability for anything ever, and mass suppression of information. Our current system's not great, but we can do much worse.