Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Capfalcon posted:

Well duh. Where do you think the trolls live?

Reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

i mean hfs

What the gently caress, this was 4 years ago?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

mmkay posted:

What the gently caress, this was 4 years ago?

This comic is slooooooooooooooooooooow

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

violent sex idiot posted:

"the republic of the land germans are from"

And england would be 'the land of the people from the narrows' (Angles)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 10, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Americans (and the english to a lesser extent) are spoiled by mostly having place names taken from etymologies of other languages. A lot of our rivers' names translate to "river river".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

Americans (and the english to a lesser extent) are spoiled by mostly having place names taken from etymologies of other languages. A lot of our rivers' names translate to "river river".

Under the rules of derivation shouldn't this be 'river 1'?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, it's not just foreign languages but also how flowery the people who came up with it felt like being. I live near a place whose name is "The intersection where Mr. Bailey bought the estate" but "Bailey's Crossroads" is just more poetic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On the other hand, Bailey's Crossroads is near Seven Corners which is literally an intersection from hell with seven corners.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There are two mountains named Mt Buggery in my state. I choose to assume literality.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MikeJF posted:

There are two mountains named Mt Buggery in my state. I choose to assume literality.
Which one's the top?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

Are these mountains where men go to commit buggery with other men?

Or mountains that are buggered by men? (e.g. the "mate with the earth" scene in King of Dragon Pass)

Or mountains that bugger each other?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

https://slatestarcodex.com/2016/04/27/book-review-albions-seed/ posted:

[Scotch-Irish] town-naming policy was very different from the Biblical names of the Puritans or the Ye Olde English names of the Virginians. Early [Scotch-Irish] settlements include – just to stick to the creek-related ones – Lousy Creek, Naked Creek, Shitbritches Creek, Cuckold’s Creek, Bloodrun Creek, Pinchgut Creek, Whipping Creek, and Hangover Creek. There were also Whiskey Springs, Hell’s Half Acre, Scream Ridge, Scuffletown, and Grabtown. The overall aesthetic honestly sounds a bit Orcish.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Why is this death worm so strong? It gets summoned by one vampire cleric (at or below Durkon's level?) and it's tying up the entire party of high level adventurers and more. Seems like summoning death worms is the way to go!

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Felix_Cat posted:

Why is this death worm so strong? It gets summoned by one vampire cleric (at or below Durkon's level?) and it's tying up the entire party of high level adventurers and more. Seems like summoning death worms is the way to go!

It's not a summon, it's gated. Gates are a total other ball of wax. Anything on the other side can come through depending on how you set the Gate up.

More importantly, gated stuff is not forced to obey.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was created by Hel and called through Gate, a level 9 spell, so it's probably pretty powerful. Besides that, though, it isn't holding up the whole party on its own; Durkon is already inside, andtwo earth elementals also got summoned.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 12, 2019

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Also it was called in from a scroll so Exarch's level didn't matter (much?), and gate is a 9th level spell from what I remember?

Roland Jones posted:

and the cleric who summoned all that was also casting spells through the barrier (including paralyzing half the party).
I'm on the phone, but I think that was the worm casting mass hold monster/person/something

mmkay fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 12, 2019

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Gate is super loving bonkers. Say you had a 20th level cleric cast it, now you can get a creature with 40hd. 40hd outsiders could easily be cr40. We're talking something that could get no xp for defeating Xykon.

OotS world probably doesn't HAVE any 40hd outsiders that aren't gods or archfiends or otherwise unique but it's still a theoretical possibility.

Sure there's a 1000xp penalty but gently caress that you just won the campaign most likely if you're casting that stuff.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Patrick Spens posted:

I've got a map of the world where places are labeled by their etymology rather than their English name. And most European countries are just painfully dumb sounding. "Land of the Fields" and "Westland" are straight out of the laziest possible fantasy rpg.

Canada apparently means something to the effect of "Land of Villages" which is still pretty apt depending on how far north of the border you live!

wdarkk posted:

Gate is super loving bonkers. Say you had a 20th level cleric cast it, now you can get a creature with 40hd. 40hd outsiders could easily be cr40. We're talking something that could get no xp for defeating Xykon.

OotS world probably doesn't HAVE any 40hd outsiders that aren't gods or archfiends or otherwise unique but it's still a theoretical possibility.

Sure there's a 1000xp penalty but gently caress that you just won the campaign most likely if you're casting that stuff.

One of my favorite things about D&D in general is just how broken magic gets after awhile. I once went though a list of possible high-level spells and they all sounded completely bonkers and/or weirdly specific, like one basically boiled down to "create a volcanic island with a 6 mile wide circumference and 4d6 palm trees".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mmkay posted:

I'm on the phone, but I think that was the worm casting mass hold monster/person/something

Whoops, right, I skimmed those pages looking back over them and mixed up the spell he cast that page and that one. Thanks for the correction.

He did try to cast Horrid Wilting, but Belkar interrupted that and put a stop to him casting any other spells through the barrier.

Edit: Oh, though, the biggest thing is that only dwarfs can go through the barrier anyway, so the entire Order besides Durkon isn't getting in there either way. So they're focusing on keeping the dwarfs alive and stuff.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 12, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wdarkk posted:

Well not quite. It would only be temporary control at most. And stronger beings tend to be unique and can't be forced to obey.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gate.htm

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Felix_Cat posted:

Yeah, that's high level D&D in a nutshell for you. Any single action from a magic user outweighs multiple rounds of non-casters' efforts.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Yeah, that's high level D&D in a nutshell for you. Any single action from a magic user outweighs multiple rounds of non-casters' efforts.

Pictured: The moment Travis gave up on ever mattering as much as the primary caster who had turned into a dinosaur.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mystic Mongol posted:

Pictured: The moment Travis gave up on ever mattering as much as the primary caster who had turned into a dinosaur.
Griffin McElroy is an excellent storyteller, and he does well with more story-based games like MotW and Blades in the Dark, but I can't imagine I'd have lasted long enough to get to the good bits of the story if I was a player in his game. Admittedly, this was several years ago now, so he's certainly gotten better since then, but looking back? Whoof.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Travis had a million magical items that would have been helpful in every single fight they had right up until the end. It's his own fault for always choosing to find some random piece of garbage to throw at the monster instead. :colbert:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

travis had a million magic items that still wouldn't even do a tenth of what justin or clint could do.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It kinda makes sense that powers kinda limited to physical reality would eventually pale in comparison to the furthest extent of powers not limited by reality. Either everyone starts slinging crazy poo poo, or the people who can't fall behind. It doesn't work out as balanced, but it wasn't originally conceived as balanced in the first place, before D&D put together its melange of fantasy that would become the standard fantasy archetype.

I remember hearing that earlier editions of D&D had fighters getting their own retinues at higher levels, which made a whole lot of sense to me, since the traditional way of scaling up the effectiveness of hitting something with a weapon is to get more people hitting with weapons at the same time.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SlothfulCobra posted:

It kinda makes sense that powers kinda limited to physical reality would eventually pale in comparison to the furthest extent of powers not limited by reality. Either everyone starts slinging crazy poo poo, or the people who can't fall behind. It doesn't work out as balanced, but it wasn't originally conceived as balanced in the first place, before D&D put together its melange of fantasy that would become the standard fantasy archetype.

Except there's no reason in a fantasy universe that you need to have anybody be limited to "physical reality" and this bizarre insistence is why most editions of D&D are bad games.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember hearing that earlier editions of D&D had fighters getting their own retinues at higher levels, which made a whole lot of sense to me, since the traditional way of scaling up the effectiveness of hitting something with a weapon is to get more people hitting with weapons at the same time.

Everyone did up to at least 2nd edition. At 9th level (name level, called that because you started to get cool titles) you could build a stronghold and attract followers. The number and quality of your followers were dependant on your class. Magic Users still came out ahead because even though they got less followers, those followers could cast spells and Magic Users were still gaining ultimate cosmic personal power.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Unfortunately, yes, it is up to the DM and also the players to work together to share the spotlight and not let one or two people absolutely dominate every battle or scene. Which, hey, is something V learned!

I stand by my statement that it's Travis' own fault for never using any of his cool magic items, though. So many times screaming "No, use something from your inventory instead of trying some Rube Goldberg trick shot!" :argh:

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 12, 2019

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

I stand by my statement that it's Travis' own fault for never using any of his cool magic items, though. So many times screaming "No, use something from your inventory instead of trying some Rube Goldberg trick shot!" :argh:

He wanted his character to be cool, and not just own a cool thing.

D&D is the wrong system for that.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Travis was ultimately able to deal the most devastating blow of all: “making me cry on an airplane listening to the finale”

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mystic Mongol posted:

He wanted his character to be cool, and not just own a cool thing.

D&D is the wrong system for that.

I'd argue that thinking of cool applications for the cool things you own is cooler than trying to use the Chance Lance as a harpoon for the tenth time.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Soup du Jour posted:

Travis was ultimately able to deal the most devastating blow of all: “making me cry on an airplane listening to the finale”

Who is this Travis? Is this a podcast?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

I'd argue that thinking of cool applications for the cool things you own is cooler than trying to use the Chance Lance as a harpoon for the tenth time.

He was trying to be Spider-Man, and being Spider-Man is rad.

(Justin was much, much better and finding dumb things to do with his magic items)

RC Cola posted:

Who is this Travis? Is this a podcast?

The Adventure Zone! It is indeed a podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cj8d6EcFp0

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SlothfulCobra posted:

That was this thing that got forgotten about in later D&D editions, but fighters leveled faster than Wizards. Because Wizards rewrote reality and fighter man got to hit people with sticks.

When you make them both level from 1-18 then the system really breaks down.

Also did anyone see this car commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC9-bfsNne8

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Unfortunately, yes, it is up to the DM and also the players to work together to share the spotlight and not let one or two people absolutely dominate every battle or scene. Which, hey, is something V learned!

It's up to the DM to not wrote scenes that leave the spotlight disproportionately on one player, and it's up to the players not to deliberately jump in front of each others' spotlight.

But it's also up to the author not to create a set of rules that disproportionately shine the spotlight on the wizard. If the GM and players have to continually work around those rules, that's a sign that the author failed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

That was this thing that got forgotten about in later D&D editions, but fighters leveled faster than Wizards. Because Wizards rewrote reality and fighter man got to hit people with sticks.

When you make them both level from 1-18 then the system really breaks down.

I think the idea is kinda that Fighters can learn by doing, but wizarding requires going to college and getting advanced degrees.

The system was also built around the idea of players constantly dipping in and out of games so they'd never necessarily have the same amount of experience, and occasionally you'd just run some players through a meatgrinder of a dungeon. Everything about the game was tailored to the weird unique way that Gary Gygax played.

The settings where wizardry is widely available with no caveats and it somehow doesn't cause an industrial revolution seem so hollow sometimes.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Dr Pepper posted:

Except there's no reason in a fantasy universe that you need to have anybody be limited to "physical reality" and this bizarre insistence is why most editions of D&D are bad games.

Exactly! 3.5 figured this out near the end with Tome of Battle, and then 4e ran with that and it was awesome. Then for 5th they said "fighters who can pull off epic feats of martial prowess unobtainable by any but the greatest heroes? Nah, people play fighters so they can do extra attacks a round."

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 13, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Canada apparently means something to the effect of "Land of Villages" which is still pretty apt depending on how far north of the border you live!

One of my favorite things about D&D in general is just how broken magic gets after awhile. I once went though a list of possible high-level spells and they all sounded completely bonkers and/or weirdly specific, like one basically boiled down to "create a volcanic island with a 6 mile wide circumference and 4d6 palm trees".

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/nailedToTheSky.htm

Nailed To The Sky is still my favorite spell ever, period.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Exactly! 3.5 figured this out near the end with Tome of Battle, and then 4e ran with that and it was awesome. Then for 5th they said "fighters who can pull off epic feats of martial prowess unobtainable by any but the greatest heroes? Nah, people play fighters so they can do extra attacks a round."

I always found it weird, having not played DnD until after stuff like WoW, that Fighters couldn't throw their weapons so hard that the victim burst into gibs and damaged other people or something.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, it's not just foreign languages but also how flowery the people who came up with it felt like being. I live near a place whose name is "The intersection where Mr. Bailey bought the estate" but "Bailey's Crossroads" is just more poetic.

Then you live very close to me.

It's always a bit horrifying as an American to realize just *how many* place names are native American words. Almost like they were everywhere, and them...yeaaaah.