Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Still have my EZ DUZ IT, and it still opens cans super easily. I think my wife even put it thru the dishwasher a couple times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
EZ Duz It is the design of the Swing Away that we all had growing up, but Swing Away are now made in China of inferior steel and will bend and rust. The EZ Duz It is made in America of high quality steel and freedom.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Love my EZ

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just use a p38

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have the Kuhn Rikon one if you like smooth edges and/or are an old. It also has a cute little pincher so you don't have to touch the can lid, as if anyone was concerned about that

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

EZ Duz It über alles

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

I have had the OXO Good Grips one for like 10 years now, and it's as sturdy and functional as ever. I have the cutting type, not the smooth edges top remover.

:same:

how many hundreds of cans are you opening per day to blow out gears regularly?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Recommendations on countertop microwaves? Finally looking to pitch the one we have that is probably close to 15-20 years old.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

We have different schedules and cook for each other when the other is at work, so I haven't seen it in person, but I have a feeling my partner is misusing the can openers by not closing the handles all the way, so the gears don't completely mesh and strip out.

It's gotta be the only explanation, because I have no idea how we're destroying these things, seriously going through one a year.

EZ Duz It it is, it would seem

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

We have different schedules and cook for each other when the other is at work, so I haven't seen it in person, but I have a feeling my partner is misusing the can openers by not closing the handles all the way, so the gears don't completely mesh and strip out.

It's gotta be the only explanation, because I have no idea how we're destroying these things, seriously going through one a year.

EZ Duz It it is, it would seem

Eat more fresh food.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I'm not about to act like I don't just have canned vegetables and beans around as easy side dishes.

Also I have the regular OXO can opener mentioned on the last page and it's been fine for like 5 years.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shere posted:

I'm not about to act like I don't just have canned vegetables and beans around as easy side dishes.

Also I have the regular OXO can opener mentioned on the last page and it's been fine for like 5 years.

Nothing wrong with canned stuff in general, but if so much of your diet consists of it that you're burning through can openers, maybe consider adding something fresh.

Also, wrt to veggies, frozen are almost always gonna be superior to canned. And if you can plan ahead (or get a pressure cooker), dried beans will save a lot of money over the long run compared to canned.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

We don't even eat that many canned foods, I guess aside from chickpeas. I don't think the problem is with the number of cans opened.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Chickpeas can be cooked from dry (no soaking needed) in about an hour in a pressure cooker. You can cook them even faster if you soak them overnight first. It's cheaper than canned. Something to consider.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rotten Cookies posted:

We don't even eat that many canned foods, I guess aside from chickpeas. I don't think the problem is with the number of cans opened.

It's still weird that the gears are the parts dying. You sure you're not opening tins of acidic foods and not rinsing off the rolling blade or something? The gears dying on multiple openers is weird as gently caress man. Go with the EZ Duz it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You know what the difference is between a chickpea and a garbanzo bean?

I've never paid to have a garbanzo bean on me

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
:chloe:

couldcareless posted:

Recommendations on countertop microwaves? Finally looking to pitch the one we have that is probably close to 15-20 years old.

wirecutter says toshiba 0.9 cu ft and they're p solid for kitchen recs

i bought an ez duz it but the "good cook" opener i bought from kroger 20+ years ago is still getting the job done when i forget that i bought a new one

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

canyoneer posted:

You know what the difference is between a chickpea and a garbanzo bean?

I've never paid to have a garbanzo bean on me

The line is “I’ve never paid to have a garbanzo bean in my mouth”, fyi

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

1redflag posted:

The line is “I’ve never paid to have a garbanzo bean in my mouth”, fyi
Which is false for anyone who has purchased falafel or hummus or whatever! canyoneer's version is a bit clunkier but much more truthful.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Chickpeas can be cooked from dry (no soaking needed) in about an hour in a pressure cooker. You can cook them even faster if you soak them overnight first. It's cheaper than canned. Something to consider.

Rancho Gordo beans cook from dried in about 2 hours (give or take, depends on the variety) and taste amazing. Buy heirloom beans. They're still cheap at $6/lb. The flavor and texture blow any store bought beans you can find out of the water.

Or you can sprout them and they'll keep for a week, boiling up in about 15 minutes.

Eat the beans.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Which is false for anyone who has purchased falafel or hummus or whatever!

My Egyptian coworker swears that falafel made with fava beans is the One True Falafel and it is wrong to like any other falafel.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Rancho Gordo beans cook from dried in about 2 hours (give or take, depends on the variety) and taste amazing. Buy heirloom beans. They're still cheap at $6/lb.
...plus like :10bux: for shipping.

I mean Rancho Gordo beans are good, but they are not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination. For most people they're going to be like twenty times as expensive as the dry beans they can buy at the corner grocery store.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

My local farme'rs market has an old lady that sells ziploc baggies of fresh herbs and beans, after for weeks assuming she was just going to the bulk/wholesaler and filling up ziplocs to sell at the farmer's market (blame the lovely farmer's markets of Tampa/St. Pete for making me assume that of every vendor until proven otherwise) I tried some cranberry and black beans. They were so fresh that soaking them for a few hours had them tender enough to eat. Also when I placed a few in my herb planter they grew into really hardy + attractive plants within days.

So, go look for old ladies at your farmer's market.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
DID ALL OF YOU EZ DUZ IT CANOPENER ZEALOTS GET TOGETHER AND SABOTAGE MY OXO?!?!?

Seriously... Been going strong for a decade, I make a recommendation for it, 3 hours later it stops wanting to open cans almost completely. Took me like 5 minutes to open 3 cans far enough to pry them open with a knife enough to pour out some chickpeas.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
That sucks dude. But seriously if there were any items out of this entire forum that have universal praise it’s the EZ Duz it can opener and a Thermapen. Two very basic and unassuming tools.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Croatoan posted:

Thermapen

i will stan for my lavatools javelin and NONE OF YOU CAN STOP ME :colbert:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My thermapen exists solely for matching water temp when I do water changes in my shrimp tank.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just use a p38
Been using a Swiss army knife for a few months now and it's faster than any cranked can opener I've had.

Prefer the victorious blade version to the wanger claw one.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I finally did it.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Thermapen Mk4 using my special discount code.

I am excited and I don’t know why.

EDIT: I was hoping to buy a Signals with that code but they never went on sale so the code was no good for them :argh:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Dr. Eldarion posted:

The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2019 $7.98 + $4.95 shipping - use coupon code CPGZZTVD0 at checkout if it doesn't automatically apply

I have the 2001-2016 version and it's one of the most used cookbooks in my house. This is a super good buy.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I’m looking for a couple of 8 - 16 oz oil bottles with spouts that don’t require wiping after each use. Right now I’m pouring canola and evoo out of their Costco containers.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Guyver posted:

Been using a Swiss army knife for a few months now and it's faster than any cranked can opener I've had.

Prefer the victorious blade version to the wanger claw one.

Yeah I use my swiss army knife can opener a lot

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yeah I use my swiss army knife can opener a lot

In case you want a dedicated kitchen version instead of a Swiss Army knife; the old fashioned ones never break and are all I’ve used for years:

https://www.amazon.com/Chef-Craft-F...HXHAMCBKQFPV0DS

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I’m looking for a couple of 8 - 16 oz oil bottles with spouts that don’t require wiping after each use. Right now I’m pouring canola and evoo out of their Costco containers.

Squeeze bottles? I use them for oils and things like simple syrup. No mess at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Condiment-16...ps%2C184&sr=8-4

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sportman posted:

Squeeze bottles? I use them for oils and things like simple syrup. No mess at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Condiment-16...ps%2C184&sr=8-4

Thank you! I hadn’t even considered those

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SubG posted:

...plus like :10bux: for shipping.

I mean Rancho Gordo beans are good, but they are not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination. For most people they're going to be like twenty times as expensive as the dry beans they can buy at the corner grocery store.

So order $75 at once. It's 3x the price, maybe 4x. And it's still cheap even considering that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The hard lesson about squeeze bottles is there ones with an inner lip that don't weep oil and those without an inner lip that do weep oil.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Yeah I have a squeeze bottle that I use for soy sauce and it leaks out of the threads and all over the bottle.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Like all things, OXO makes a squeeze bottle that costs a little too much but works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have cheapo $1 squeeze bottles from the grocery and they've never leaked