Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tielle please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Elan!

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Nagi deserves her chance.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
Elan, in the hope that he punches out Tielle at the last minute.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nagi

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Voting for Tielle, because I used her a bunch on my recent playthrough, and holy heck strong ranged attacks are useful when you're generally poo poo at dodging. Also, I love characters that're both tiny & adorable but also capable of extreme property damage.

maybe that's why Recette keeps selling her sweets - she's even MORE destructive on a sugar rush :eng101: :black101:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Another one for Tielle

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tielle

Elf Murder.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll vote for Tielle again and hope that Truthkeeper isn't paying close attention. What's more capitalist than stuffing the ballot box for your chosen candidate?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Randalor posted:

I'll vote for Tielle again and hope that Truthkeeper isn't paying close attention. What's more capitalist than stuffing the ballot box for your chosen candidate?

Paying others to vote for your candidate?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Randalor posted:

Forcing your workers to vote for your chosen candidate or be thrown out onto the street to starve.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Those are both good options. Can I do both of those as well?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Night10194 posted:

Tielle

Elf Murder.

I appreciate your desire to murder elves (by repeatedly sending Tielle to her death in dungeon raids), but Recette's gotta make a profit from those raids or she's gonna be living in cardboard boxes.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I'm gonna go Nagi on this.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
THE STATS:
code:
Caillou: IIII
-Charme: 
---Elan: IIIIIII
---Nagi: IIIIIIIII
-Tielle: IIIIIIIIIII
It's almost like people really don't like Charme or something. Couldn't imagine why, it's not like she's been super creepy or anything. No, clearly you all are just racist against thieves. Meanwhile, Caillou, who was holding steady, is now sharing back of the pack status, while Tielle is holding a steady lead as we enter the final stretch! Still, Elan and Nagi are only a few votes behind, this could still be anybody's game. Except Charme's.

I expect I'll get the next update posted this weekend, and voting will end with that update.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I think it's that A) we've seen Charme around for almost as long as we've seen Louie so she doesn't have that newness factor, and B) Everyone who played the game used Charme once or twice, failed miserably cause she has a steep learning curve, and then never touched her again. The other characters have their strengths and weaknesses but also have a much more obvious gameplan to adjust to.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It's also been mentioned a few times that Charme really needs to be able to hit parries at least semi-reliably to function as intended and that you have problems with it.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I suppose I will vote for Nagi then. Though I'm also curious about how Elan goes.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i used charme my first playthrough both because she could actually run, and Louie's slowness was aggravating as hell, and also because she was the only character who would buy her drat upgrades :shepicide:

yes louie I know that halberd is very shiny but are you sure you don't want to buy the sword sitting right next to it, you idiot

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I liked Charme, she was my main dungeon person when I played this myself. But now I'm voting for drunk bro Elan.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I mained Charme, and had great fun whenever the stage was perma-ice.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Last Transmission posted:

Elan.

What I haven't seen anyone mention about him yet is that he can dash and if you run into an enemy with him it's the enemy who takes damage from the collision.

Derp...in my write-up I forgot to mention that. He's one of 3 fast characters so he doesn't drive me nuts to play due to slowness.

I dont know posted:

Changing my vote to Elan. I believe!

:downs:

Complications posted:

lol if Nagi wins I expect you'll probably just main the runner up and keep an eye out for the lost spearlady

Seriously though, don't actually put yourself through misery if misery option 'wins'

It's not hard to unlock her if you're willing to cheese a little.

Save game, enter trial dungeon with a fast character like charme. Run though there without fighting.

Find her? Save, and do it again till you find her 3 times.

Don't find her? Reload and try again.

It takes maybe a half-hour (hour if unlucky) to do. Less so if lucky.

Honestly, the misery option is Tielle. She's slow and then Truth will be subjected to TWO high pitched Japanese girls every other second. I like those characters and generally hate Calillou (who's also slow), but at least his voice doesn't want to make me rip off my ears.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 13, 2019

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Pity vote for Charme.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Yeah, I used Charme in my own playthrough too, which is why I'm not voting for her. Her playstyle is pretty good though.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Another vote for Elan.

masam
May 27, 2010
A vote for Elan

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

mauman posted:

Honestly, the misery option is Tielle. She's slow and then Truth will be subjected to TWO high pitched Japanese girls every other second. I like those characters and generally hate Calillou (who's also slow), but at least his voice doesn't want to make me rip off my ears.

People are playing JRPGs with sound on?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Hot dad Elan.

He fathered all those orphans.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Maybe I've just watched too much anime, but Recette and Tielle are both totally adorable :colbert: That said, my favourite animes are where big dudes punch other big dudes until someone explodes, so I'll vote for Elan.

Basically I want more of this (EDIT: warning, flashing lights):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WrRmqWWMY0

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 13, 2019

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
Nagi, because I also was unable to get her card when I played through this game.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

CommissarMega posted:

Maybe I've just watched too much anime, but Recette and Tielle are both totally adorable :colbert: That said, my favourite animes are where big dudes punch other big dudes until someone explodes, so I'll vote for Elan.

Basically I want more of this (EDIT: warning, flashing lights):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WrRmqWWMY0

I'm not saying I don't like Recette and Tielle....I do in fact.

It's just something about their voices rubs me the wrong way after a while. There's only so many "DAI JOUBUS?!" and "NIIEIEEEEEEAAAAAHHH" I can take. One of those I can control at least. Also, like I said, Tielle is slow. Considering how BIG the levels get after a while.....ugh :suicide:

As for no sound? I'm weird, I'm very sound based. It's actually hard for me to play games without sound. In fact I'm so weird in this regard that I prefer good sound/music to graphics generally.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 13, 2019

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I constantly play with Charme, which is why I'm not voting for her. You don't ever need the parry, it's just nice to have in emergencies. Her main toolkit for dodges is the shadow dash and the Flame Charge.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
We're in anime France, and thus all combat should be done with maximum Elan.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
We’ve Entered an Endless Recursion of Time

Day 32

So. The final payment is due in a week. It will be… sizable. I recommend checking the pause menu to see how much you owe for this week.

Can’t you just tell me right now?

Well… are you quite sure you wish for me to do that?

Uh… I’ll just check on my own later, I think.

Very good. Please prepare yourself to work hard.

I hope I can actually pay this off…

Now then! Let us get to work! We have quite a bit to do.

Okey-dokey…

What an odd conversation. It’s not like it would somehow be worse hearing the number from Tear compared to seeing it on the calendar.

It’s 500,000 pix, by the way. Two and a half times the previous payment, it’s painful, but very doable. The trick is making sure you have exactly that much with as little extra as possible, since the game ends after the last payment and you can’t take money with you into New Game +. Or you could just play Endless Mode, where you keep playing after the final payment with no more payments required. There are reasons to do that, which I’ll get to much later.

But enough of that. Swords!

There are signs of a boom in longswords among men who know quality
The price of shields has normalized
Big Bash is here for your shopping needs, 24/7!

We don’t hear a lot about Big Bash. That thing with Alouette trying to be Recette’s rival just kind of fell apart.

Also, metal items are down in price, so I can only sell Crystal Swords for full price during the boom.

Holy poo poo it’s a miracle.

This time, he really does get the best sword I’ve got for next to nothing.

Oh, Tielle!

Ehehe!

What’s up? You seem super happy.

Adventurer’s Guild is just letting anybody in these days, place is going to the loving dogs. First they let in elves, and then the next thing you know they’ll be expecting equal rights!

Also, I feel like we should be concerned about the child endangerment, except I’ve been the one mostly endangering said child by putting her to the sword.

This is…

Up until now I could only tag along with sis, but I just finished the Hall of Trials! And so, and so… I heard I should give my card to all the people I want to help, and I thought of you Recette!

Oh, I see! Thank you so much, Tielle!

I’m just glad you’re happy! Ask me to come with you any time you want!

And so another adventurer willingly subjugated herself before the might of Recettear.

Day 33

The price of longswords has decreased
The price of metal things has normalized
People with tabs should pay them back immediately

I find it hilarious that he just constantly comes in and begs me to buy his lunch. I like to think that he’s such a colossal failure as an adventurer that he’s in cripplingly ruinous debt.

Two times in as many days, how about that? Shame she’s riding the bench.

God drat it Charme, this is why you’re riding the bench.

gently caress everything, going to the bar! Recette’s light enough that she might be able to get drunk off alcohol fumes.

What made you want to become a thief?

Wha?! … that is quite a question to bring up at random!

Really?

For all we know, it could be a sensitive subject for her! Try to show some consid…

Well, lesshe…

Sure would love to have these conversations when she’s sober and I don’t have to type the drunk accent.

At firsht I did it ‘cuz I had to shurvive, y’know? I left home with nothin’ but the clothes on m’back, shee. Oh, and I did turn out to be pretty good at the whole “murderoush thug” thing. I mean, it’sh not like I don’t feel BAD for takin’ people’s shtuff… but the more I do it, th’more I enjoy it! Can’t help m‘shelf.

What.

Oh. I, uh… see…

I got my booze, I got my work, an’ I enjoy both… Y’don’t need anything more’n that to be happy, right?

If you’re both a workaholic and an alcoholic, sure.

So I’… happy… with the way things are. Don’t need nothin’ else.

That sounds absolutely believable and there’s no need to follow up on it any further.

And now to walk back to the shop through the perfectly safe town square during perfectly safe darkness.

Yanno, I’m kind of getting a sense of deja-vu…

Even Recette can read the tropes of this game like a pop-up book.

Wait. OH CARP!

Not a typo. Maybe a Dwarf Fortress reference.

“Oh carp”? What in the world.

H-hey! You just totally ambushed us so I had to come up with something on the fly, okay?!

You’ve been hanging out with Tear for a month, swearing fluently in French should come second nature to you by now.

Enough. A child like you should not be outdoors as this dark hour. Go home! Sleep! Stay safe beneath your covers!

Hey, don’t treat me like I’m a kid! I know I’m young, but I’m the owner of an item shop you know!

Really. Ah, that explains it, then. I had wondered why you needed the advice of one of the ever-clever, ever-handy, ever-servile fey.

Awww… I want to make a snappy comeback, but he’s totally right…

I want to make a sarcastic comment, but they’re both spot on.

And so the dance of fairy and man continues. How utterly pathetic.

I…

Now that I think about it, you keep going on about fairies this and fey that, but what’s Tear ever done to you? Why are you… OH! Wait. I get it!

God drat it Recette, this is not the time to start advertising your fanfic!

…What. Is. This. That idea is so disconnected from reality that I cannot tell whether you are mocking me or trying to be profound. And… failing. Badly. Speak plainly.

Yeeeah, I bet I’m right! Some guys do show their affection by teasing… but too bad mister! ‘Cause Tear is my…

Put the fanfic away Recette.

You’re… actually serious. I think you may have misunderstood me.

Huh?

I despise the race of fey. Utterly.

Wha…

… why?

Their formatting, not mine, but it’s actually surprisingly effective. Recette is absolutely shocked at the idea of racism.

Well. Let me guess. Your conception of fairies is something like this… “Physically slight and at a disadvantage against larger creatures, but innately talented at administration and management… Quite possibly the only nonhuman race to easily adapt to human culture by utilizing their unique talents.” That about sums it up, yes?

Ah, I understand now, he’s a friend of Caillou. Must be some kind of fraternal order of assholes.

Uh… yeah, I guess so? I don’t-

In truth, fairies are devious tricksters, not brilliant administrators. Humanity despised them as a result and began to exterminate them… Facing genocide, can you guess what they did?

Stop…

They began raising a class of fairy who could “live with the humans”. Children educated from birth on the social mores of human society, with only the most apt allowed contact with humanity.

Pretty sure we call this ‘diplomacy’, or maybe ‘raising your kids to not be assholes’.

…Or, rather, those who could suppress their instincts around humans and act in ways man would find “acceptable” were allowed out. The failures, condemned to hide from humanity with the rest of their kind… That is how the modern society of the fey works, child.

There are, of course, certain exceptions. Humans transformed into fairies by magic and the like.

Has anybody actually played Chantelise?

The true fey, however, I despise. I despise them for cowering before mankind like whipped dogs before an overly-cruel master. Even more than fairies, however, I loathe humanity for being so arrogant as to think they are the natural masters of the world.

I’m pretty sure he’s quoting directly from his manifesto at this point.

No way…

This may be too complex for a child such as yourself to grasp… but if you do not understand, then keep quiet!

N-NO! NO, I WON’T!

What?

Okay, so there’s a lot of stuff I don’t get, like why the sky is blue, why garlic smells bad, or why lemon candy makes you pucker up!

Girl if you badmouth garlic again we are going to have words.

But I know more about Tear than you do! A LOT more!

You really don’t. I think you’ve asked her maybe one personal question the entire time you’ve known her, and otherwise have just used her as an encyclopedia.

I’ve only gotten as far as I have because Tear’s supported me all the way!

Because it’s directly helping her company by collecting the entirety of the money your father owed them plus interest.

I don’t care about instinct or tricks or genohide or whatever… None of that changes what Tear’s done for me!

Illegally forced you to work as a child laborer to pay off a debt you weren’t legally responsible for under threat of taking away a home she probably couldn’t legally seize?

NONE OF IT, YOU HEAR?!

Recette…

Such conviction I in your voice… h.

I’m not “you”! My name is Recette Lemongrass!

I’m sure this probably sounded more natural in the original Japanese, where pronouns are a Big Deal.

Recette Lemongrass of the item store at the top of the hill – “Recettear”!

Recette-Tear… I see. I am known as Griff. Griff of the race of demons.

Are you sure? You still look like a black dude with elf ears and red-eye to me. You haven’t actually shown or done anything demonic yet.

I cannot imagine why you would bother to remember my name, though.

Griff…

Recette and… Tear, was it? The night is dangerous. You should go home.

Wait, was he… really worried about us? Huh.

Taer? You okay?

Don’t worry about it, okay? Let’s go home!

Despite my snark, I think this is a pretty nice little scene. Recette’s developed a good opinion of Tear, despite everything. If this was a shounen anime this is probably where all the friend’s Recette’s made would have come when they heard her shouting to help fight the demon, but that isn’t the way story beats are handled in Recettear.

Of course we’re still going to loving fight him though. Later.

Day 34
The price of metal items has increased
The swords boom has ended
When leaving your house, be sure and lock up

So, Tear, I got the money. Can I just cut you a check now and you can kindly gently caress off?

No? Okay.

Also, vending machines!

Also also:

The price of precious metals has decreased
The price of swords has normalized
Someone is looking for the monthly issue of Booze of the World

Suddenly, Elan! Unsurprising, since I stacked the store to draw him in (Light and Plain, with lots of candy in the windows).

Oh, Elan! Welcome!

Stopped by today to give you one of these.

So you want to come with me out of the city?

Like I said – strictly speaking, I’m a guild member. To be honest though, I haven’t been in a whole lot of dungeons. But when I met you, I got to thinking. “Hey, I need to start working, too!”

Bar tabs don’t pay for themselves, after all.

Ehehe… you’re embarrassing me a little.

Anyway, be sure and give me a chance, yeah? I’ll go with you anytime you want!

drat right you will. You’re going to punch your way through our entire next loop.

I’m counting on you, Elan!

Hell yeah! Leave it to me!

And then he bought a piece of candy.

Suddenly, Nagi!

Goodness, hello, Recette! How odd that we meet here! I was just on my way to your store… I should arrive soon, I hope!

Are we certain that she doesn’t live… in the dungeons? Maybe she’s a cleverly disguised slime?

You… hope?...

We will… have to be patient with this one, I fear.

Yes, please be patient! I will be there soon.

Suddenly, adventurers buying expensive armor!

Day 35
The price of shields has increased
The price of swords has normalized
Today’s weather: sunny, possibly cloudy, with a chance of rain and thunderstorms

Hi Tielle! You seem like you’re in a good mood.

Recette! Look at this! Look!

Huh? A big piece of paper? Uh… “Beinge a Mape of Alle Welle-Lovede Shoppes of Confectionesse to be Foundee in the Citee of Penseeee…ee”.

I’ve got a soft spot for Ye Olde Englishe jokes, but even I think this is excessive.

WHAAAT?!

Isn’t it awesome!? I’m gonna try them all, for sure!

Holy carp! I wanna eat one of these “Murderous Montblancs”!

Yeah, that’s a good one, Recette! I knew you’d get it! However… today’s target is THIS one! The “Ghost World Pumpkin Tart”! Made from real pumpkin ghosts! It’s only sold here when a famous, world-traveling patisserie is in town! They’re here now, and if I don’t get one now, when will I? So I’m gonna go get one! See you later!

The dangers of unaccompanied minors.

Aww, now I really want one.

You may be thinking to yourself that Recette, being fabulously wealthy right now, could easily go with Tielle. It hasn’t come up yet, but Tear actually holds the purse strings with an iron fist. They’ve been eating gruel for every meal since setting up shop.

That is all well and good, but… Do you… think she still remembers her “find my sister” quest?

Y’know, now that you mention it…

…discussing a rumor about someone near the fountain attempting to sell overpriced items.

Oh no. Oh dear God no.

Overpriced items? Like what?

She’s coming… the end of days is upon us!

Paintings and other objets d’art with hard-to-define value, seemingly. Even then though, the offered prices were apparently absurd. Let that be a lesson: always try to keep our prices realistic, or people may begin to spread rumors about us!

The unbuying, mother of garbage, breaker of sales chains!

Yeah! Art’s tough to sell, though.

Indeed. We should always be careful when stocking paintings and the like.

All is lost!

Ah, yes? Can we help you?

You two look like you have good taste! Tell me, what do you think of these?

These’re… picture postcards?

Of the sea. These are quite well-drawn, to be honest.

Aren’t they just?! Now, wouldn’t you love having a few of these on hand at all times?

Yeah, Recette could send a postcard to a distant family member, like Papa Lemongrass… oh, right.

But… I dunno, I don’t think they match my stamps… or anything else I own, now that I think about it.

Postcards don’t really have to match your stamps or other possessions.

Nonsense! They’ll look perfect with any stamp in the world! Or you could pin the up on your wall, use them as pictures! Or perhaps I could interest you in something else? I’m sure I have something you’ll just adore!

She does have a few useful items (wallpaper and flooring for the shop), but beyond that, no.

Uh… I don’t…

…Out of curiosity. Precisely what is the asking price for one of these postcards?

A mere 500,000 pix!

Might I suggest we return home? Now?

W-w-wait! It’ll make a wonderful, uh, heirloom! And the price will only go up, you know! It’s an investment, really!

Yes, I’m sure this is good for Bitcoin too.

Wait, please, waaaaait! You’ve got it all… wrong… smm…

Why the hell isn’t the ol’ Euria Charm hauling them in?! Little brat… I totally had that little airheaded brat figured for an easy mark, too! Friggin’ fairy… and now I’m all worn out, too! Ain’t there some rich, foolish adventurer out there with more money than good sense? I’m dyin’ here!

That does sound like… several people I know, really.

Not just him, but he certainly qualifies.

Heeeeeey! You there! Mr. Cool Swordsman! Hi!

Huh? Are you… talking to me?

You bet I am! Listen, have I got an offer for you…

Surprised she didn’t try unbuttoning her shirt while she was at it.

Seriously though, this is Euria, and she exists to punch your sale chains in the dick by showing up, throwing a piece of garbage on the counter, and demanding five times its base price. Sometimes it’s something useful, usually it’s treasure that you’ll never sell for as much as she demands.

I loaded up on some more store furnishing while I was at the market. The black and white wall is nice, though it doesn’t really mesh with the stone floor. The less said about the bunny rugs, the better.

So. It has happened. At last. As I thought it might.

…But it’s been so long. I… I never thought…

Yes, I know. But we must make do with the hand dealt to us by fate.

But… this is still a good thing, right?

Only time… and fate… will tell…

Yes, this was the point of the new décor. She’s finally here.

…Are you two all right?...

Sadly, without enough time to butter her up enough to get her card. Ah well.

At least Tielle is trying.

NEXT TIME: Month ended, story… nowhere near ended.

So about that poll, funny story. We’ve currently got a tie between Elan and Tielle, with Nagi one vote behind. So I’m extending voting to the next update. Fill out your ballots, regular ballots in Box A, ballot stuffing in B, bribes in C.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My two twin brothers Super May Jann and Nnam Yaj Repus are having internet issues and would like me to put forth two votes for Tielle on their behalf.

Also, EURIAAAAAAAAA :argh: :argh: :argh:

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009
I'll throw my hat in the ring for Tielle.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Now that Nagi finally found her way here, I have to vote for her.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I like Elan

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Charme that goes on tanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The Lone Badger posted:

Charme that goes on tanks

Oh really? Next you'll tell me that 12 points of attack are way more valuable than 5 mag on a set of daggers!