Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Seriously, why was the first teaser so much better than this one?

Probably because it was mostly Elsa using the ocean as a Danger Room to practice ice things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Elsa didn't learn the right lesson from King Canute.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Amazing Johnathan Documentary looks absolutely bonkers.

Also: what's less shocking in this trailer: that Eric Andre is a huge fan or that The Amazing Johnathan is really into meth?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

caligulamprey posted:

The Amazing Johnathan Documentary looks absolutely bonkers.

Also: what's less shocking in this trailer: that Eric Andre is a huge fan or that The Amazing Johnathan is really into meth?

Shiiiit, I remember watching that "I only have a year to live" interview back in 2014, it was brutal. The doco looks insane.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
On Her Majesty's Cleaning Service

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxpfg0oeIX0

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Shiiiit, I remember watching that "I only have a year to live" interview back in 2014, it was brutal. The doco looks insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6sxwjRGSWs

Holla atcha boy

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

drunkill posted:

Second trailer for Aussie Vietnam war flick starring Ragnar from Vikings.

Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E0J11-rB7Q

Don't like this, unless the message is "a bunch of Australian kids died in a pointless american imperialist war" and not "real aussie heroes respect are troops!"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The Shining 2 trailer just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpsGfhRQIbo

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Looks very muh-oh

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

The only thing that this shows is how poo poo modern movies look, whenever there's a quick shot from the Shining, the colors are rich and stark, compared to that butt ugly yellow to greyish green color grading that seems to be some sort of a default setting not only on every Netflix production but pretty much on every cheap horror and blockbuster film these days. The movie itself looks meh.
But that's the good thing about trailers, you can see the visual style just from a few seconds of footage and decide that okay, visually that looks like rear end so I don't need to see it. At least no one can come up with excuses that "the visual style isn't finished yet!" as they do with lovely (un)finished cgi effects.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Mike Flanagan: light your movies. :argh:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Doctor Sleep trailer is out. This actually looks pretty dope. https://youtu.be/Qpf8p_E-I_o

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I groaned at the trailer ending with that shot

That said, I have faith in Flanagan to deliver something worthwhile, even though what I’ve heard about the source material is so-so

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You know who made good movies?

Stanley Kubrick.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ehud posted:

You know who made good movies?

Stanley Kubrick.

They killed him for it

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I don't think the end result will be very good, but I do appreciate the hard left turn The Banana Splits movie has taken.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Hmmm. I kinda expected to hate the movie because I wasn't really a fan of the book, but I actually think that looks okay? I didn't expect them to lean on the Shining iconography so much, even though I should have.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Looks like poo poo. Like a pile of dogshit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

caligulamprey posted:

I don't think the end result will be very good, but I do appreciate the hard left turn The Banana Splits movie has taken.

I'm guessing the conversation went something like:

"I've written a script for a Five Nights At Freddy's movie and I've found enough backers to get it greenlit!"
"Oh no someone else bought the film rights, we're not allowed to use those characters or set it in a location that's too similar to the game."
"Hey how about we set it in a fictional kids TV show?"
"... or we could buy the film rights to an actual vintage 1960s kids TV show where no one is really attached to the characters but it has a really catchy theme song?"

According to Wikipedia the original show ran from 1968-1970 and was syndicated until 1982, I vaguely remember watching it on TV when I was a kid but my nostalgia for it is pretty low. The trailer looked pretty charmless.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just know it from the theme song covered on this CD and it's Drew Barrymore fronted MTV video special that I taped :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JvB5AL59fM

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 14, 2019

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

There must've been a couple references to it on Cartoon Network in the late 90s when they were digging into their back catalogue (before they figured out stuff like Sealab 2021) because I definitely recognize the theme and kinda recognize the characters but that's about it.

So, uh, who's the target audience?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I was pretty much the target demographic at the tail end of its syndication. It was a weird little show with short serialized mini shows intercut with the most bizarre transitions with the Banana Split Crew. They'd do some kind of inane bad-joke-telling slapstick. Or they'd do some bubblegum pop song. Sometimes it would just be footage of them tooling around in those low slung eight-wheel buggy things.

The only one of the serialized sections I really remember was Danger Island. Which was kind of creepy. It was some kind of shipwreck show with a plucky group of kids who would get menaced by one of the three factions on the Island: Pirates, Cannibals, and the Headhunters.

I won't lie. I'm sort of intrigued by this take, but I'm also aware it's going to be a train wreck. Since it direct to BluRay/Streaming I imagine it won't be long before it lands on Netflix or Hulu (or even Pluto.tv)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Friend posted:

There must've been a couple references to it on Cartoon Network in the late 90s when they were digging into their back catalogue (before they figured out stuff like Sealab 2021) because I definitely recognize the theme and kinda recognize the characters but that's about it.

So, uh, who's the target audience?

Yeah I definitely saw it on Cartoon Network around 1998.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Dollars to donuts the Angel episode did it better.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

not trolled not crying posted:

The only thing that this shows is how poo poo modern movies look, whenever there's a quick shot from the Shining, the colors are rich and stark, compared to that butt ugly yellow to greyish green color grading that seems to be some sort of a default setting not only on every Netflix production but pretty much on every cheap horror and blockbuster film these days. The movie itself looks meh.
But that's the good thing about trailers, you can see the visual style just from a few seconds of footage and decide that okay, visually that looks like rear end so I don't need to see it. At least no one can come up with excuses that "the visual style isn't finished yet!" as they do with lovely (un)finished cgi effects.

Lol, Mike Flanagan recreated those scenes. They aren't even from the original film.
https://twitter.com/flanaganfilm/status/1139279408764608512?s=21

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deakul posted:

Lol, Mike Flanagan recreated those scenes. They aren't even from the original film.

Also according to an interview with Flanagan they went to King first to talk about how they wanted to tie this in to the Kubrick movie and get his okay (which he gave.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i would rather watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkVWuP_sO0

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Deakul posted:

You're not really refuting his point. Even if they're recreations the shots from the shining definitely have a different look than the rest of the movie.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Deakul posted:

Well, fooled me! But recreating them just underlines the difference in the visual style and the possibility to use similar style or at least the same kind of rich color palette as in the original, so why make the rest of the film look so drab and colorless? In before someone says he isn't going to copy Kubrick's style (outside of those recreations), so I guess he decided to copy the look of every generic horror film of the 2010's.
I know this probably sounds nitpicky but I guess I'm the only one who is tired of looking at the same murky color grading in every movie these days.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fooled me, too, except I felt like something was off while I was watching it. I just assumed that they'd had digital color grading added to the original shots, which now makes complete sense as the comparison shots show that they really amped that stuff up. I bet that carpet was an exact match to the original before some 22 year old upped the yellows to echo the lights.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i17pORf_iE4

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Elsa didn't learn the right lesson from King Canute.

Seems to me that king Knut gave up too easily.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

not trolled not crying posted:

so why make the rest of the film look so drab and colorless?

To contrast between the flashbacks and main setting.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Honestly, it's a sign of respect for Kubrick's genius to not even bother trying to compete with him except where you're slavishly reproducing one of his shots.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Teenage Fansub posted:

To contrast between the flashbacks and main setting.

Well that is obvious, but you'd think that was possible without making it look so trite. And it would be easier to accept if every other horror movie already didn't look exactly like it. I guess I just don't like the way modern filmmakers go haywire with the digital color grading. The footage looks well shot and all that, but the colors just bother me, like in most movies these days.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Honestly, it's a sign of respect for Kubrick's genius to not even bother trying to compete with him except where you're slavishly reproducing one of his shots.

Well this too, but isn't it kind of sad that the attitude is mostly like this? "Well, they are never going to look as good as ____ so let's just accept the way it is". It's clear that this subject bothers me, but I'm also interested (but not knowledgeable enough to answer) in the reason why big budget movies predominantly look like this nowadays? Is it digital cameras, the color grading, new ways of lighting because of the cameras and the grading, is it time and effort? Most Marvel movies look like this also, like the lighting feels artificial somehow and everything feels like it's been mostly colored in post. But enough of me sperging.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

caligulamprey posted:

This looks like an adult swim sketch. I'm surprised this is an actual real movie that got made.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

a classic, I think this won first place in a fake trailer competition

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

That's extremely cursed, what the gently caress

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

a classic, I think this won first place in a fake trailer competition

it did, more than 10 years ago too but imo this is the only clip worth survival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Almost Blue posted:

This looks like an adult swim sketch.
There is a new horror comedy coming out from Adult Swim alum Nick Corirossi. It also doesn't look that hot, either.

However I'll see it anyway so I can fully support BUG MANE.