Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm glad all Pokemons that learn Sturdy will be in SwSh, since they get knocked down, but they get up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gruckles posted:

We shall never escape the curse of the Sky Battles.

I'm pretty sure at this point it has to be the worst addition to ever happen to Pokemon.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

indigi posted:

the tpose wingull look very stupid but I bet they won’t look like that in the actual game

They absolutely will.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

indigi posted:

the tpose wingull look very stupid but I bet they won’t look like that in the actual game

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

EthanSteele posted:

Home's gotta be more than just storage, you can't open with "we know it's really important to be able to bring all your friends you've had for over a decade with you to each game, so here's Home" and then follow that up with "it's purgatory until we decide to let Darmanitan be in a game again"

My theory/wish for Home is to have a battle system where you can battle using your phone against others who have Pokemon Home on their phones. It sort of plays out like the handheld/console games... except that all the Pokemon are graphically represented by their menu sprites rather then 3D models.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Masuda is tearing us apart.

You could call this situation...

Pokémon broken Home

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Pentaro posted:

Masuda is tearing us apart.

You could call this situation...

Pokémon broken Home

Pokemon Go to a farm on the countryside
Pokemon broken Home
Pokemon Sleep on your seedy's friend house and think about what you have done to us

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zuzie posted:

My theory/wish for Home is to have a battle system where you can battle using your phone against others who have Pokemon Home on their phones. It sort of plays out like the handheld/console games... except that all the Pokemon are graphically represented by their menu sprites rather then 3D models.

This seems like a sensible way of handling it. It will mean that there’ll be two different metas running simultaneously on Smogon, etc. (the Home one with all the Pokémon and the Sword/Shield one with just the Galar dex), but they effectively have that already with USUM and Let’s Go.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Gripweed posted:

The first piece of concept art for Galar

holy poo poo snorlax's regional variant looks great

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point it has to be the worst addition to ever happen to Pokemon.
the fact that we're still cursed by the models made for dumb sky battles but will never again see Rotation Battles makes me :(

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

doublepost, but this is unrelated to previous discussion

my brain is currently being extra dumb and wants to play through johto again
is there any benefit to playing Crystal nowadays, or should I just go look for my copy of Heartgold?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
don’t you get a Celebi if you get the VC Crystal

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

is there any benefit to playing Crystal nowadays, or should I just go look for my copy of Heartgold?

Crystal on 3DS is great for getting hidden abilities but other than that HeartGold is the way to go.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Blaziken386 posted:

I would personally wait for a remake or emulate because HeartGold is slow as hell.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

Blaziken386 posted:

holy poo poo snorlax's regional variant looks great

That's clearly a slaking

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

Crystal on 3DS is great for getting hidden abilities but other than that HeartGold is the way to go.
Good to know. Hidden Abilities are kinda easy to get via the trading thread/discord, but I considered it on the basis of "well, some rare mons in apricorn balls." Then I remembered "oh right, GSC didn't keep track of pokeballs" and also "oh yeah Gen 4 gave Gligar and Sneazle good evolutions, ones that my copy of pearl just so happens to have the evo. items for"

also on said copy of pearl - 2/3 of the shiny dogs, celebi, and various other legends from kanto/sinnoh. whoops, forgot to transfer

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/_inoue_666/status/1138936524278444034

The Three Tigers

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

breeding up a sneazle in pearl to use in heartgold, and holy poo poo I forgot just how tedious breeding was before Gen 6/7. No slugma, because this is sinnoh, no tauros to ride to speed through the step count, having to occasionally remove pokemon from the daycare so the daycare lady won't teach them tackle overtop of egg moves, christ

to anyone who attempted to legitimately make competitive grade pokemon before the 3DS games, I salute you, you mad bastards

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ada posted:

That's clearly a slaking

There are at least 4 grumpigs in that picture

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Jesus, the UI looks :effort:

And the idle animations are so lifeless. Just watched Yamper sit motionless with his mouth hanging open for several minutes

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Jesus, the UI looks :effort:

And the idle animations are so lifeless. Just watched Yamper sit motionless with his mouth hanging open for several minutes

The UI is one of the few things i like. Simple but nice. That said the sizes are all over the place, like moves and dynamax look huge and nearly cluttering in that corner, and the number of available pokemon on either side are tiny enough to need glasses.

Look at dynamax arcanine vs steelix. There is A wiggle every few *minutes*. Pokemon are so loving static.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Just watched Yamper sit motionless with his mouth hanging open for several minutes

that seems legit for dogs

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Farecoal posted:

Finished X, including the Looker side quest in the post-game, which turned out to be my favorite part. Overall not bad, but Black 2 is still my favorite of the games so far.

I also loved playing Detective with Looker. I would play a whole game of just that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The UI is one of the few things i like. Simple but nice. That said the sizes are all over the place, like moves and dynamax look huge and nearly cluttering in that corner, and the number of available pokemon on either side are tiny enough to need glasses.

I like the UI style, I like minimal and clean. But it looks like the actual UX is pretty lovely, which is par for the course with Pokemon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Removing tedious stuff is a good change thus this is a very good change.

https://twitter.com/theSirToasty/status/1138885197632589825?s=19

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Removing tedious stuff is a good change thus this is a very good change.

https://twitter.com/theSirToasty/status/1138885197632589825?s=19

Wow what a challenge. Why not just heal the party after every fight?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Chill Penguin posted:

You have always had the ability to do that.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Chill Penguin posted:

Oh no this makes it so much easier than leaving the building to go to the Pokémon Center after each fight, something you totally couldn’t already do.

Just don’t use the machine if you don’t want to.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Scholtz posted:

You have always had the ability to do that.

I mean automatically.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
The games that truly succeeded at giving pokemon in battle life and personality were gen 5 and Stadium/Colosseum/XD/PBR, imo. I can understand losing the complex idle animations of the former in the transition from sprites to 3d models, and the Stadiums had a lot fewer mons to worry about, but you'd think sw/sh being on a real console with a limited dex would give them room to at least live up to the standards of a decade-old wii game with ~500 mons in it rather than doublekick.gif

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you think we'll get Gen 4 remakes this gen?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mraagvpeine posted:

I love me some Shellos

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Mraagvpeine posted:

My latest hare-brained hope is that the Wild Area is the groundwork for a remake that combines all the "Japanese" regions (Gen 1-4) into one massive new game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they’re doing the reduction in monsters now so people get used to it in a still familiar environment, becuase gen 9 is a platinum character action game

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Chill Penguin posted:

I mean automatically.

Ah, then yeah that's a good point. I'd say this is as close they can get to making it convenient while still giving people the option to challenge themselves.

They've already been doing stuff similar to this for a few Gens for various mini-dungeons through the games with followers that heal when you talk to them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

oddium posted:

they’re doing the reduction in monsters now so people get used to it in a still familiar environment, becuase gen 9 is a platinum character action game

I am ready for Vanquish Pokemon Edition.

That said the more I read about Sw/Sh the more I’m thinking of just skipping them and waiting for the third game in the hopes they address some of the issues or maybe give an indication they plan to maybe not do the absolute bare minimum again. Which to be fair is what they’ve done for like 20 years but there’s always hope!

:negative:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Scholtz posted:

Ah, then yeah that's a good point.

Lol no it's not, just don't use the healer if you want a challenge

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Chill Penguin posted:

I mean automatically.
This would be fine, actually.

Pokemon battling is a sport, especially within gyms, and doubly so within Galar. The whole "my Pokemon are hosed up, I might lose" thing is only present because Pokemon is an RPG. If you think about it within the actual game world there is no reason you wouldn't challenge the next trainer only after your Pokemon are rested and healed up from the fight.

When you're fighting fighting explicit antagonists like Team members (they're mean and won't give you the time), or doing the Elite 4 challenge (the no-backsies gauntlet is part of the challenge) then yeah not having your Pokemon healed after makes perfect sense

But within Gyms, out and about with wild pokemon, or around friendly trainers? Then it makes perfect sense to heal automatically afterward because not stopping to patch up your Pokemon and let them rest after a fight would make your character a loving monster of a human being.

EDIT: Actually wild pokemon are fine for no-heals too, they can be aggressive so maybe You Can't Rest While Enemies Are Around. We saw that in ep 1 of Pokemon too, gotta rush your buddies to the Center sometimes.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 13, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Chill Penguin posted:

Why not just heal the party after every fight? Honestly, what does it matter?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm a bit conflicted on the heals in gyms. It's probably just for the E3 Demo, but assuming it's not....

It doesn't make things less challenging, no. It makes gyms less punishing. If your team gets too beaten up, you'd run out the gym to the pokemon center, you get punished with time and maybe a puzzle resetting. If you don't do that smartly, you get knocked out and wind up at the center and lose money. So now it's walking to the start of the gym and talk to the guy at the entrance, so almost impossible for puzzles to get reset and the runback is a third or half of what it would've had to be. It doesn't eliminate the punishing aspect of having to retreat for a heal, but it lessens it a fair bit. Pokemon Gyms already had an issue of not being challenging or punishing, so for it to be lessened even more leaves a bad taste for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

literally all it does is just eliminate tediousness, jesus. how is this even remotely controversial. just don't touch the thing if you don't want to. i don't get this mindset that apparently people need to get hit with a newspaper for daring to not want to ironman through every fight with no healing.